• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

I have never heard of the kid-vid tape module for the Atari 2600 that was developed by Coleco. That is fascinating to me. And it works too... somewhat better than the sound module for the Intellivision.

This is a pretty chill AVGN, Jame's isn't really pulling out the obscenities much. But it is well made.

Duxxy3

Easily one of my favorite videos from the nerd. I'm about the same age and I remember it as Berenstein as well. Can't trust memory I suppose.

Unless...

Mind blown at the spelling.

I'm just now hearing about this as well................

jackie-chan-wtf.jpg

BTW shouldn't there be a thread for the new video? It has been a while since he's done one of these.

Oh god I'm falling down a rabbit hole now.......... Since when did it become Interview with the Vampire........... It was "Interview WITH A Vampire"

freaking-out.gif

edit: I did a quick search on gaf and there's old threads where it's titled "Interview with A" and most people are clearly calling it Interview with a Vampire, one thread is from 3 years ago and another that's a decade old...

2013 thread

2004 thread

InterviewwithaVampireMoviePoste.JPG

giphy.gif

N4Us

Rewatching the video, when he first looks at the books, all occurrences of 'Berenstain' are kept out of sight. Nice touch.

devonodev

Not one of my favorite Nerd videos at all. Hardly any time spent with the games, and he features 'past-nerds' way too often now. From that point on I lost interest.

Savitar

God damn that episode was fantastic, that AVGN one that is.

.......and isn't it suppose to be stein....but that means.........oh shit.

That episode was produced well enough, but the material was really stretched. He's only doing episodes like quarterly now and still can't find interesting games to feature.

Timu

That episode was produced well enough, but the material was really stretched. He's only doing episodes like quarterly now and still can't find interesting games to feature.
Kind of odd since there are really bad games out there that are enough for a full episode like:

Rise of the Robots
Slaughter Sport
Sword of Sodan
Swamp Thing
Awesome Possum

Ha, great episode. Learned about this cassette tape stuff and enjoyed his Halloween spiel. Could have used a bit of shortening here or there, but overall really fun!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The cassette stuff was really neat since I enjoy learning about obscure gaming stuff. I even surprised myself by guessing correctly when he asked how many games were made for it.

Certainly better compared to last year's review of The Crow on Saturn.

& wow, 143 episodes. Wonder if he's got anything planned for episode 150.

grim-tales

Excellent episode! I love how he mixed conspiracy, horror and the perception of childhood/past memories with AVGN to create something very clever.

grim-tales

Easily one of my favorites. That was like Zero Escape: AVGN Edition.

I thought that too, holy shit.
James really needs to play those games (999 at least). I also liked learning about game accessories I'd never heard of with the voice module thing.
James must have a comedy horror film in him someday.

shanafan

This part of the Switch reveal trailer reminded me one of the last James and Mike Mondays, where they try to play the Wii in a car :

What do you think was the last Mario Kart game James played? If there wasn't a video of him and Mike playing MK8, then I would say MK64.

-sdp

This years halloween episode is the first one in a long time that made me laugh out loud many times. I'm glad it had a few more skits.

-sdp

It's an anniversary, what company or artist doesn't do a bunch of stuff to celebrate their past, no one asked if Sega was retiring Sonic after this years anniversary. He has mentioned for nearly 8 years how he wanted to move on from the nerd from time to time but he explains it better himself on episode 100 and how he now realizes the nerd will always be there and he never expected to get to 100. He might slow down with videos but that's fine, he has done this in the past and IMO it gives us better videos. There's also so much you can do with the character and I rather he take his time.

grim-tales

I have a feeling that sadly, he will retire the character one day, not yet though. IIRC Mike recently said there arent any plans to end the AVGN series.

As for the callbacks, thats fine by me as he's celebrating his past through the years,
I agree I'd rather he take his time, perhaps having a Board James style storyline in the new episode was an attempt to do something new with AVGN which is a good thing imo.

Big Nikus

Yeah I was watching an old video today; where he's reading his fan mail, and he says that he wants to make Nerd Episodes for as long as he lives, even if he has to take some breaks and even if at some points down the line it's juste once a year : https://youtu.be/jSGqWnbA91U?t=11m48s
He's always been saying that maybe during certain periods he'd do less, but it doesn't seem he wants to completely stop ever. He's the kind of guy that'll always need a nostalgia rush and working on Nerd Episodes is perfect for that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have a feeling that sadly, he will retire the character one day, not yet though. IIRC Mike recently said there arent any plans to end the AVGN series.

As for the callbacks, thats fine by me as he's celebrating his past through the years,
I agree I'd rather he take his time, perhaps having a Board James style storyline in the new episode was an attempt to do something new with AVGN which is a good thing imo.

It's not a feeling, it's a certainty. You can't expect him to do this his whole life, or he's going to end up like that episode where he saw his old self playing Wii games.

Lothar

Banned
It's not a feeling, it's a certainty. You can't expect him to do this his whole life, or he's going to end up like that episode where he saw his old self playing Wii games.

Nothing wrong with that. AVGN character never needs to look cool or mature or adult. A lot of the humor comes from a grown man throwing tantrums about video games. It could potentially get funnier the older he gets because he would be even more and more ridiculous.

grim-tales

Maybe he could use getting older to his advantage to change things up a bit, especially since these days the Nerd is more bewildered/world weary/confused rather than really angry (though there are exceptions), Paperboy, Seaman and Mega Man being good examples.
The new episode was like him making his own mini-movie but combined with AVGN, and it was great.

In one of the Mailbag episodes, he said he never really wants to stop, even if he did 1 episode a year or something.
Edit: Big Nikus already mentioned this :)

grim-tales

Really enjoyed that, it's funny because it was true :D Even better how it seemed like a semi-callback to his Packaging Rant in the Tiger Games AVGN episode, especially the scissors part xD

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was gonna say the same thing, especially when he brought the scissors out.....now I want to rewatch that episode.

Kind of amazing to think there's only been 33 episodes. The DVD episode is probably my favorite, along with the Xmas aftermath since it continues to be true year after year.

grim-tales

7 years later and the Xmas Aftermath episode is still bang on the money accurate :D

Actually I'm wondering if a YKWBS DVD set is a good idea because some episodes may have to be edited. The clips from Mickey's Christmas Carol, and 'Bullshit!' from Commando and Enter the Dragon in the Christmas episode are just too perfect xD

Top Bottom