• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Hmm, I don't know what I think of this one... insulting the first one isn't right. I mean, it was something that had never been done before... managing to take something that could just move a few lines around the screen and making a whole bunch of games out of it took a lot of work. If you take the games seriously and play them as they're supposed to, it looks plenty fun...

Of course, since it doesn't stop you from cheating, the impulse to do that in a lot of games would be very strong. And that's why programming games to keep you from doing things you shouldn't be allowed to is good. But still, for the first ever... pretty amazing stuff, to say the least.

He is right about the lightgun though, I'd say... :)

Marvie_3

Banned
Timedog said:
Another complaint is all the doors that use random key cards. If you're late into the game you MUST have had key card 1, so there's no point in making a door towards the end require that key card. Also, it should keep all doors that you've previously opened unlocked, so that you don't have to fumble through the menu 25 times to get the correct card--this might be a limitation on the hardware though.
This, despite all the game's other problems, is my biggest complaint. I hate having to flip through every card to find the right one.

Timedog said:
How the fuck are you supposed to know that in order to blow up the computer you put 16 plastic explosives on the right and left hand sides of the computer in some random, arbitrary order? The game gives you no hints on how to defeat the computer. It doesn't even say that you have to put the explosives on the right and left sides instead of say, the middle. This is ridiculous game design.
Dr. Pettrovich tells you the order if I remember correctly....I might have it confused with the MSX version though. I don't remember it mattering on the NES version where you put the plastic explosives..... It's been awhile since I've played the NES Metal Gear.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
AnEternalEnigma said:
The Nerd looks like he's putting on some weight, at least in the face.

Captain observation to the rescue. It's called getting older and your metabolism slowing down. Crazy, happens to almost everyone. When he hits his 40's he'll start getting wrinkles too. I bet you'll be here pointing that out too.

See, this is the type of rudeness you'd never say to someone's face, but by some grand leap of logic feel it's okay doing anonymously on the internet.

Gagaman

Oh wow, I knew of the Odyssey but didn't know what it was like. I love when he does videos that show something unusual or old like this. One of my favorites is still the NES accessories one, I didn't even know most of those things existed.

And yeah, that light gin is awesome. I so want a Wii one of those for HOTD Overkill. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, I've never seen this console before. I mean, I've heard of it, but never seen it in action. What a POS.

yamo

drakesfortune said:
Captain observation to the rescue. It's called getting older and your metabolism slowing down. Crazy, happens to almost everyone.

Maybe he just ate alot of junkfood... and became fat. Who knows?

Darklord

Banned
Zee_truly evil said:
it was interesting until nerdy turd came in and ruined it for me.

Yeah he should have gotten one of his friends to do it like the one who played Battletoads with him(Justin was it?).

Darklord said:
Yeah he should have gotten one of his friends to do it like the one who played Battletoads with him(Justin was it?).
I was hoping that was what he'd do. But, it was still really interesting seeing the Odyssey. I had no idea it was like that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
In reference to reseting the Genesis on X-Men, Xavier does at one point say "reset the computer". But not "reset your console" or "reset your Genesis" or anything like that. So while it's not quite as bad as he shows it out to be, it's still a fucking bizarre block and something I never figured out as a kid. The worst thing is, it's actually the second to last level in the game, so you're so far into it at this point resetting the console sounds like the last thing you'd want to do. Also, since the level actually is the only one in the game with a time limit, getting stuck at the end of the level doesn't quite seem like the permanent trap that it might otherwise appear.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know, this is suppose to be an angry nerd video, but it's actually made me realize that as far as licensed video games go, X-Men as a franchise has actually had it pretty damn good.

There's actually a pretty decent number of good games featuring the X-Men, with the new X-Men Origins game being a recent example.

Swifty

Even when I first rented X-Men Clone Wars from Blockbuster when it came out, annoying as starting the game right into the first level was, I found it to be an interesting cinematic decision. I thought it was cool that the level was essentially an interactive intro with the actual title screen coming on after it.

Top Bottom