• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

I'm pretty sure he's wrong about there being no indication about resetting your Genesis to beat Mojo's stage in X-Men.

I remember Professor X saying you need to "reset the system" to leave the stage or whatever.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
AnEternalEnigma said:
The Nerd looks like he's putting on some weight, at least in the face.

Oops somehow you made it on to the NEO GAF FORUMS. I think you are looking to TMZ.com or perhaps THESUPERFICIAL.com

eXistor

I loved the nerdy turdy. It came across as a bit Lynchian to me. There was just something very off and disturbing about him. He was kind of there, but also not at the same time, like a dream. I might be overanalyzing this a bit.

erlim said:
Oops somehow you made it on to the NEO GAF FORUMS. I think you are looking to TMZ.com or perhaps THESUPERFICIAL.com

Nah, I've just always wondered when he was going to start packing it on due to all the beer he chugs.

Sleeker

im having some trouble loading the video.
The sound is all out of sync and its stopping and starting.

stupid bloody gametrailers

Gagaman

Once again the Genesis does what Nintendon't! :lol

(Joking of course, but has he played a Sega game yet that was as bad as any of the NES stuff that drives him nuts? I'm sure there must be some excluding the Mega CD stuff. Moonwalker was probably the closet thing so far to that.)

Not that Wolverine was a great game, but he seemed like he was reaching for stuff to complain about, like when he's talking about blind jumps but there are clearly onscreen platforms to jump down to first. I used to be able to get to the last stage as a kid, and it wasn't like I was an amazing player or anything.

Other than that, I'm surprised he skipped Capcom's X-Men brawler on SNES. It wasn't mindblowing, but it had large good looking sprites and serviceable action. Come to think of it he skipped a few spin-offs from the same era.

kurahadol

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse on SNES was a lot better than the Genesis games, he should have went over that. He could have also talked about Spiderman and X-men, another LJN piece of crap on the SNES. Man, that game caused me fits of rage as a child.

bengraven

I take it this is the Genesis version? I bought a Genesis just for this game and was seriously disappointed.

That said, I still put hundreds of hours into it. :lol

(so damn hard)

farnham

Banned
xmen_children_of_the_atom_002.GIF

Failed to mention this

not retro enough maybe

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
kurahadol said:
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse on SNES was a lot better than the Genesis games, he should have went over that. He could have also talked about Spiderman and X-men, another LJN piece of crap on the SNES. Man, that game caused me fits of rage as a child.

Goddamn that Spiderman/X-men game was frustrating as hell. I don't think I beat any of the levels at all (aside from the first Spiderman stage)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Here is something kind of interesting: Rare actually developed a few of LJN's games. Though they didn't have a hand in any of the Xmen games, they did apparently develop Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Nightmare on Elm Street, and the gameboy version of the Amazing Spider-Man, all of which have been shat upon in previous Videogame Nerd Videos.

Other LJN games he has ripped:

The Karate Kid (Developer: Atlus! Yes, that Atlus.)
Back to the Future
Friday the 13th

So, in summation, this one little company has provided him with hours of fodder.

cRIPticon

ZealousD said:
Despite knowing the Odyssey was the first video game console, I never really looked much into what it actually was. Primitive is definitely the word here, but criticizing it seems wrong. It's like insulting the cavemen that invented fire and the wheel.

Here is the blog post I did when I went to the home of the man who invented the Odyssey, Ralph Baer.

http://blogs.sun.com/ChrisM/entry/my_day_with_a_living

The guy didn't just invent the Odyssey. He invented Simon, Amaze-a-Tron, Laser Command, and a bunch more. 15 videos on that page of me and Ralph playing with the original Brown Box prototype and other inventions. Was an awesome day:)

Sapiens

morningbus said:
Here is something kind of interesting: Rare actually developed a few of LJN's games. Though they didn't have a hand in any of the Xmen games, they did apparently develop Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Nightmare on Elm Street, and the gameboy version of the Amazing Spider-Man, all of which have been shat upon in previous Videogame Nerd Videos.

Other LJN games he has ripped:

The Karate Kid (Developer: Atlus! Yes, that Atlus.)
Back to the Future
Friday the 13th

So, in summation, this one little company has provided him with hours of fodder.

Rare made a ton prolifically shitty games in the nes/gb era. Even Battletoads wasn't as great as people like to remember it.

I was shocked when I actually started to see their name on quality things in the 32/64bit era.

As bad as their games were, they usually had some interesting visuals given the hardware. So when it came to crap, at least they had some good looking crap.

kurahadol said:

Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge? Yeah, I was hoping he'd talk about that one... :)

Rare made a ton prolifically shitty games in the nes/gb era. Even Battletoads wasn't as great as people like to remember it.

I was shocked when I actually started to see their name on quality things in the 32/64bit era.

As bad as their games were, they usually had some interesting visuals given the hardware. So when it came to crap, at least they had some good looking crap.

It's true, it's amazing how much Rare improved from the NES to SNES generations, going from making mountains of mediocre or bad licensed ports to making their own awesome original games (on the SNES and N64)... of course their later, original NES titles were well above the quality of those ports/licensed titles done for other developers, though -- Battletoads (really annoying and far too hard but great...), Snake Rattle & Roll, the two R.C. Pro-Am games, a few more... people who think of Rare on the NES usually just think of those. But yeah, they also made a lot of mediocre to awful games for other developers.

A Black Falcon said:
Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge? Yeah, I was hoping he'd talk about that one... :)

I remember being blown away by some of the visuals in that game (the Storm stage, specifically), and the dweedely-dwee-neeer-neeer rock 'n roll intro, but holy shit was that game frustrating.

The initial Spider-Man stage was actually fun. Using the web swinging felt really good and using Spidey Sense to find the next target worked well. But I can't think of a single one of the X-Men stages that was any good. Wolverine was OK 'til you reached Juggernaut, Cyclops was terrible, Gambit was unbelievably frustrating, etc.

Click

Banned
Man, I LOVED the Genesis X-Men games.
They were good, fun games that looked great for its time.
Plus, it was the first time in a video game, I could actually play as my favorite comic book character of all time: Gambit. And he was actually awesome in the game. Memories...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
eXistor said:
I loved the nerdy turdy. It came across as a bit Lynchian to me. There was just something very off and disturbing about him. He was kind of there, but also not at the same time, like a dream. I might be overanalyzing this a bit.

Am I the only one who misses the Shit Pickle character? Shit Pickle > Nerdy Turdy.

Melhisedek said:
What retro X-Men game would you folks recommend? Played Marvel Alliance but nothing before it

I really liked Spiderman & the XMen back then, on SNES and Genesis, it must have aged pretty well, but it was pretty hard with no password or save. You'd better use an emulator.

It's an action platformer in which you can play with Spidey or 5 X-Men.

Then there are the Capcom SF clones if you like fighting games. Actually I'm surprised there aren't more great X-Men games, this comic is tailor suited for action games, with all the heroes and their crazy power and the awesome cast of villains.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Melhisedek said:
What retro X-Men game would you folks recommend? Played Marvel Alliance but nothing before it

X-Men: Clone Wars is the best of the 16-bit X-Men games from a modern perspective, I'd say. The SNES game was good but very clunky now with its fairly clumsy integration of Street Fighter style special moves. The first Genesis game isn't terrible but is way too limiting of the mutant powers (the reason Wolverine's claws are retractable is because having them out drains the mutant power bar).

Clone Wars is a top-notch sidescroller with a large cast, unlimited use powers, and you get to play as Magneto.

I too loved Xmen Clone wars, and the SNES beatumup he failed to mention was very good as well.

The OG Genny Xmen is beastly. Loved it back in the day, but I too could never get past Mojo's level, lol. How the FUCK were you supposed to know to reset the console that if you didn't have a cheat book or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
RockmanWhore said:
Actually I'm surprised there aren't more great X-Men games, this comic is tailor suited for action games, with all the heroes and their crazy power and the awesome cast of villains.

X-Men (GEN)
X-Men 2: Clone Wars (GEN)
X-Men Arcade
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse (SNES)
X-Men Children of the Atom
X-Men vs Street Fighter
X-Men Legends 1 & 2
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

X-Men has more good games than any other comic book license, and is probably up there for licensed franchises period.

Snaku

Banned
Wow, makes me want to try out X-Men 2. I loved the first Genesis game, and I get to play as Psylocke in the sequel? :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Melhisedek said:
X-Men Legends 1 and 2 are basically just like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I love The Nerd!

I used to own Wolverine for the NES. He's on the spot about the game's annoyances and difficulty. I always seemed to keep coming back to it, although. Nowadays, games like this would just piss me off too much to even continue.

ahoyhoy said:
Goddamn that Spiderman/X-men game was frustrating as hell. I don't think I beat any of the levels at all (aside from the first Spiderman stage)

The first Spiderman stage and Storm's stage were the only ones I could beat. I could get to the last boss in Wolverine's level but he always wasted me.

That game was a mother fucker.

It was a game I picked out for my birthday and I regretted it about 15 minutes after I got home.

cRIPticon said:
Here is the blog post I did when I went to the home of the man who invented the Odyssey, Ralph Baer.

http://blogs.sun.com/ChrisM/entry/my_day_with_a_living

The guy didn't just invent the Odyssey. He invented Simon, Amaze-a-Tron, Laser Command, and a bunch more. 15 videos on that page of me and Ralph playing with the original Brown Box prototype and other inventions. Was an awesome day:)

Wow.

Why is no one else in this thread amazed by this?

See, this is the type of rudeness you'd never say to someone's face, but by some grand leap of logic feel it's okay doing anonymously on the internet.

Actually I gained a little weight last year and you know, people aren't shy about letting you know one bit. In a way it was good, as it motivated me to lose my bit of fluff, but in a way it felt like these were people just trying to take me down a notch.

Also, what's with the people defending the Odyssey? If a console you never played before is that sacred to you... Idunno. You probably have bigger problems than whatever Nintendo Nerd is making fun of at the moment. :lol

KidGalactus said:
Also, what's with the people defending the Odyssey? If a console you never played before is that sacred to you... Idunno. You probably have bigger problems than whatever Nintendo Nerd is making fun of at the moment. :lol

I think the problem is that GAF still hasn't figured out these videos aren't meant to be taken seriously.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah I really like him too. I think the stuff he and james have done together is great. At the end of the 1 year anniversary video on the site they confirm that they'll be doing a review together.

Nostalgia Critic seems to get a bad rap from GAF, and he's certainly not as popular as the AVGN, but I think he's hilarious. Most of his movie/cartoon reviews are really, really good. His writing can sound a bit forced at times but for the most part it's great.

Cronen

_Alkaline_ said:
Nostalgia Critic seems to get a bad rap from GAF, and he's certainly not as popular as the AVGN, but I think he's hilarious. Most of his movie/cartoon reviews are really, really good. His writing can sound a bit forced at times but for the most part it's great.

You pretty muched summed it up right. I really like the Nostalgia Critic, and he doesn't seem to go down so well on GAF.

Davey Cakes

I like the Nostalgia Critic as well, but not for the same reasons as the AVGN. While they're both quite negative, everything from the delivery to the writing is entirely different.

I've actually enjoyed Doug Walker's work in general, not just the NC, but also the "Ask that Guy" segments. Even "Bum Reviews" has grown on me a bit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
NC is awesome, as is the Nostalgia Chick when she decides to put out a new video.

His review of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is my favorite.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
TheChillyAcademic said:
I just started watching him as of late and absolutely love the guy. He has a pretty crazy personality, some major ADD, but he has definite talent.

Yeah, I need to catch up on some of his videos. He really has some gems there.

Top 11 Dumbest Superman Moments

Great :lol stuff in that video.
"Nuclear Man is born in space from Supermans DNA... with a costume, bad 80's hair & a pre-stiched logo...."

Top Bottom