• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Relaxed Muscle said:
I never played Cybermorph but going by the video and actually having a lot of fun with Starfox back then, I have to agree, but graphically Cybermorph looks better, not significantly better, but it wasn't a good comparison at all.

Actually I think you found the point right there, Cybermorph doesn't look significantly better then Starfox.

Milon's Secret Castle blows(bubbles? no it just blows). Just had to say it.

Wish I had a computer with sound so I could watch these latest videos. =(

Jiggy

Relaxed Muscle said:
I never played Cybermorph but going by the video and actually having a lot of fun with Starfox back then, I have to agree, but graphically Cybermorph looks better, not significantly better, but it wasn't a good comparison at all.
The other games he showed looked better than their distant SNES/Genesis relatives too, but that was the point: they looked better but not 48 bits better, or nearly.

Shard said:
Actually I think you found the point right there, Cybermorph doesn't look significantly better then Starfox.

Yeah, but Starfox was a Super FX chip game, it may have proven his point, that you could see similar graphics on the 16 bit consoles, but it's kind of unfairly when comparing the bits and hardware processing power of both consoles.

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal either.I'm looking forward to part 2.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Jiggy said:
The other games he showed looked better than their distant SNES/Genesis relatives too, but that was the point: they looked better but not 48 bits better, or nearly.
A lot of the Jag's games were quickie Amiga ports since the Jag has a 6800 in that mess of a chipset. Stuff like Super Burnout at least ran at 60fps tho.

Showing Iron Soldier while talking about how poor the graphics were is the major point that bugged me. Yes, they were flat-shaded, but still... The SNES, and the 3DO had nothing that could match that.

Freshmaker said:
A lot of the Jag's games were quickie Amiga ports since the Jag has a 6800 in that mess of a chipset. Stuff like Super Burnout at least ran at 60fps tho.

Showing Iron Soldier while talking about how poor the graphics were is the major point that bugged me. Yes, they were flat-shaded, but still... The SNES, and the 3DO had nothing that could match that.
Are you fucking joking?! Iron Soldier looks no different than a SuperFX game. Meanwhile the 3DO was pumping out graphics like this

JRW

The biggest problem with Jaguar was lack of good games.. I owned most of them and the only memorable games for me were Alien vs. Predator and Tempest 2000.

skybaby

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Milon's Secret Castle blows(bubbles? no it just blows). Just had to say it.

Wish I had a computer with sound so I could watch these latest videos. =(
Great value man!
1zlbpzs.jpg

:)

Zool 2 instead of Rayman or something is a questionable choice (Zool 2 is a DOS/Amiga port, so of course it's 16-bit style, while Rayman was a Jaguar original, and limited-time exclusive...), and Checkered Flag might have been better compared to Genesis Virtua Racing, 32X Virtua Racing Deluxe, or SNES (Super FX) Stunt Race FX, rather than Mode 7 F-Zero, but overall, pretty good. I mean, F-Zero clearly has better gameplay, graphics, and style than Checkered Flag, but wouldn't it be more fair to compare it to competing polyagonal racing games?

As for Star Fox vs. Cybermorph, Star Fox does clearly win on music (Cybermorph has none ingame...) and artistic design, but its abysmal framerate hurts it a lot, and he didn't mention that. Cybermorph's looks a bit higher, though it does also have a terribly close draw distance, and it's free-roaming instead of a rail shooter, so the gameplay is different. Haven't played it so I can't say how good it is... Star Fox is likely the better game, though, sure. But unless your cart's overclocked or you're playing it emulated, that awful framerate is brutal, like all polygonal 3d Super FX games.

Overall though, nice summation of Atari history, and a great leadin for the next video... definitely looking forward to it. :)

nincompoop said:
Are you fucking joking?! Iron Soldier looks no different than a SuperFX game. Meanwhile the 3DO was pumping out graphics like this

Could Jaguar do this, for example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXytmFQHns

The Playstation, Saturn, and DOS PC couldn't, evidently, given that on all of those platforms the game has pea-soup fog blocking off your vision at about the point where on the 3DO it just drops the terrain detail... 3DO didn't do a good job of porting the game, sadly. I remember loving the PC version (despite the frustrating controls that take some time to get used to), but seeing that makes me want a 3DO... But anyway, I don't think Battlemorph, Iron Soldier, I-War, or the others can match that. Based on videos Battlemorph looks okay, but not quite that good, and with mostly just flat-shaded polygons thanks to hardware limitations.

Of course the 3DO did have the worst version of Doom thanks to an amazingly terrible framerate, so it wasn't all good. :)

(On that note, SNES Doom was surprisingly good, and is really fun... framerate's a bit slow, but it's playable. Great soundtrack, only pre-Xbox console version with the actual unaltered PC level designs, good gameplay, world map...)

morningbus said:
Yes, the Dreamcast was the last "bit" system, and was technically 128 bits.

With the 360/PS3, I'm not so sure. If we go by the marketing term, then they would be 256 bits. I'm not too well versed on what they actually are, but I believe the PS3 uses a combination of "bits" including 32, 64, and 128 (but, for the purposes of defining "bits" its PPE is 64 and its SPE is 128). The 360 is just 64 bit, I think.

Just to clarify, I'm not 100% confident on the PS3/360 information, but it is the best I could figure from some searching.

Bits where only important in the old days because of color, once you hit 32 you can have millions of colors so its no longer an issue.

If you go by how much data a CPU can process per clock things get pretty confusing. For instance each of the 3 xenon cores has an 128 bit SIMD just like the SPE's on the PS3, but the general purpose registers are 64 bit. 32 bit x86 CPU's had 80 bit ALU's and 128 bit SIMD's for SSE instructions along with 32 bit GP registers. The bit rating of CPU's is based on the address bus width which dictates how much memory it supports, which is 64 bit for both the Cell and Xenon, the internal processing units are all different sizes.

Freshmaker said:

Destructible buildings, actual textures, both like Star Fighter, and at least as good looking... very nice. :)

Still, I bet you can't dig holes through the mountains just by shooting at them, like you can in Star Fighter... I always loved doing that. All terrain can be leveled down to base ground level. The only thing missing is the ability to dig holes into the ground with your shots... :D

But anyway, for the Jaguar that looks great. I've always heard good things about Battlesphere too, of course... but the 3DO just has so many more games, it's not really a fair comparison. It also didn't have poorly documented, very complex hardware like the Jaguar had, either, I believe... that sure didn't help the few developers that did work on the system maximize its graphical potential. I don't know which system is the more powerful, overall. But there's definitely more games that push the 3DO than the Jaguar... or the 32X, which has a lot of the same problems (complex hardware, very few games...).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A Black Falcon said:
Destructible buildings, actual textures, both like Star Fighter, and at least as good looking... very nice. :)

Still, I bet you can't dig holes through the mountains just by shooting at them, like you can in Star Fighter... I always loved doing that. All terrain can be leveled down to base ground level. The only thing missing is the ability to dig holes into the ground with your shots... :D
Wasn't that some weird sprite deformation trick?

nincompoop said:

Darxide is also very impressive, graphically. The gameplay is somewhat unexciting (it's 3d Asteroids, no more, no less), but the graphics are great. The few videos on Youtube I can find all have people talking over them... bah. Those are two of the best-looking 3d games the system has, though, certainly. Even so, I wouldn't pick them over the better Jaguar or 3DO ones, graphically, I'd say.

If you could destroy the buildings in Metal Head I'd reconsider... :D It and Darxide certainly are two of the only 32X games with textured polygons, which is impressive for the hardware for sure.

I guess watch this one for Darxide, but ignore the audio... the guy's clueless (he thinks it's a core-system Genesis game?).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrXUqaMZAU

Freshmaker said:
Wasn't that some weird sprite deformation trick?

What, the ground in Star Fighter? However they did it, it looked really, really cool... when you shoot at hills, it presses them down, 'cutting away' at the part you shot at... but yeah, likely actually done with polygon deformation. It looked awesome. So few games have anything like that... I mean, being able to destroy all the buildings in each level, okay, that's nice enough, and the explosions look pretty nice, too... but being able to flatten the hills as well, if you want? Awesome! :)

Longer video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXK8xubtic

The player shoots their way through a mountain at about 3:40. :)

Oh, for comparison, here's the Saturn version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJYLjHgelPI
Ouch. The PC version has MUCH better graphics, but the fog's just as bad.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A Black Falcon said:
What, the ground in Star Fighter? However they did it, it looked really, really cool... when you shoot at hills, it presses them down, 'cutting away' at the part you shot at... but yeah, likely actually done with polygon deformation. It looked awesome. So few games have anything like that... I mean, being able to destroy all the buildings in each level, okay, that's nice enough, and the explosions look pretty nice, too... but being able to flatten the hills as well, if you want? Awesome! :)
Yeah, I played the Saturn version. Ghen War had that too. Seemed like a limited gimmick. (Meaning I can't remember it actually having a point in terms of how the games played, mission objectives etc...) Looked kinda cool, but the novelty wore thin fast.

Frenck said:
Starfighter was amazing. I loved that game.

EDIT:

The Playstation version looked much better than that Saturn vid :lol

Wasn't it great? :)

Here's a video of the PSX version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0EFwkKdQo4

Doesn't look that much better than that Saturn video. It is a pretty low-quality video, though, so that may not be representative of the actual game... and the fog's identical, just like the PC and Saturn versions. The lack of fog, and the low-detail distance terrain that it has instead, is really what distinguishes the 3DO version, clearly.

Oh yeah, and Star Fighter's soundtrack is fantastic...

Freshmaker said:
Yeah, I played the Saturn version. Ghen War had that too. Seemed like a limited gimmick. (Meaning I can't remember it actually having a point in terms of how the games played, mission objectives etc...) Looked kinda cool, but the novelty wore thin fast.

Ghen War has that, really? Cool, I didn't know that! The game was already on my 'get sometime' list for Saturn now that I have a Mission Stick, which I know it supports, but that makes me want it even more...

You're right that it may not matter all that much, gameplay-wise, but somehow I always thought it was pretty cool anyway, and a fun feature to have. And there just aren't many games with it...

You can destroy all the buildings and stuff in some games, like Mercenaries and Mercenaries 2, BattleTanx and BattleTanx 2, etc, but terrain as well? Aside from these and Red Faction... not counting map editors, there are a few others out there, like the terrain-modification abilities in SimCity 2000 and beyond and things like that, or Populous and Magic Carpet, but it's a far less common feature than it should be, really. :)

Gagaman

MirageDwarf said:
I watched this old video - Ghostbusters (NES)

:lol :lol :lol :lol so god damn funny.
I love this one because of all the Ghostbusters toys he show off at the start that bring back so many memories. My niece recently got into the films and now has a lot of these exact toys I used to have after hunting them all down on Ebay for her (I kept one or two of the spares amongst them). So awesome. :D

drakesfortune said:
:lol Good episode. It's a bummer he couldn't get the cd add on to work. Hopefully someone sends him one.

Or could fix either of those two broken ones... those things ARE very rare and expensive. And both the Jaguar and Jag CD don't have the best reliability record... they were cheaply made (note the lack of cart door, open back connections, etc) and are known to fail. Add a CD drive full of moving parts to that and it's no surprise that a lot of them don't work. Try asking at Atari-Age or something, likely a good place to start.

Anyway, pretty good episode... but too bad about the Jag CDs, hopefully something can be done. :)

It felt like he should've gone over a few more games, instead of shooting at things with various light guns (which was funny, but went on a little long), then having his cat chase a laser pointer for half a minute. Obviously he couldn't touch the CD side, but he made it clear he still had a stack of cartridge games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
HK-47 said:
No the cube was really there. In fact, it could be in your house right now!
Damn, I was sure I saw something flying past me. I thought it was a fly :/

Top Bottom