• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Jazzem

Alright review, reminded me of the Back to the Future one with the various movie clips. Still need to see Wayne's World...

Lindsay said:
Did I see Sonic 3d Blast in the intro? Hope he reviews that soon! He's been way to fixated on NES/SNES stuff lately!

That would make for a sad yet understandable episode for me! That's a case of a nostalgic game not being as good as it once was for me :( To be honest though, I'm not sure how AVGN-friendly the game is, and whether it could carry an episode.

Lindsay said:
Did I see Sonic 3d Blast in the intro? Hope he reviews that soon! He's been way to fixated on NES/SNES stuff lately!
That's how the show started. Angry Nintendo Nerd. Show some respect ya damn whippersnapper.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A friend gifted me Castlevania on VC and I don't think I've made it past the bat. Gonna go play it right now to see where I am and if I can get any further...

thefro

I really like the choice of reviewing the series, because he's went through most of the crappy games on the NES already that are nostalgic touchstones for people.

Despite some of the Castlevania games being classics, there's enough wonky/cheap stuff by modern standards that you can poke fun at and points that people remember as frustrating. Pointing out the great stuff feels fresh for the Nerd series and he's been able to strike a great balance between the two modes in his various movie reviews.

I've always loved the Castlevania II review too, so I really hope he does more reviews of games that aren't universally seen as crappy. That's his best work alongside the licensed stuff when he could use movie clips.

andymcc

Banned
it really is one of the better early NES games. it's definitely not even close to being one of the hardest video games of all time, but it does have some understandably frustrating quirks. i love how snatcher
made reference to not being able to jump on and off of staircases in the first castlevania being a correlation to an increased suicide rate.
:lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
hyduK said:
Never played Simon's Quest, and thank god for that :lol :lol .

AVGN is much better than Yahtzee, btw.

Arguably speaking, Simon's Quest paved the way for Metroidvanias.

Red Scarlet

Can you avoid the real boss's jump? I think I always got hit, so it came down to me chucking out boomers as fast as I could before he pounced me to death.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah just beat the bat. Now I'm stuck on the second level.

Someday I will beat this! But only have hundreds of deaths and hours of trial and error...

andymcc

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Can you avoid the real boss's jump? I think I always got hit, so it came down to me chucking out boomers as fast as I could before he pounced me to death.

i don't think you can and this is my exact strategy for beating him. :lol

Andrex said:
Yeah just beat the bat. Now I'm stuck on the second level.

Someday I will beat this! But only have hundreds of deaths and hours of trial and error...

if you're struggling that much on the second level.... bail out. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Man that one stage with the knight and medusa heads always drove me freakin nuts!!!
I remember giving up, going back years later, giving up again, going back years later and FINALLY beating it.

Don't recall having trouble with Dracula himself though. Not sure if I found and used an exploit or after having played it so much I was just that good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
andymcc said:
if you're struggling that much on the second level.... bail out. :lol

I'd never bail once I get a game... even if it wasn't my choice... It's how I got up to Wily's second form in MM2 (VC).

Which reminds me I still have to beat that...

Net_Wrecker said:
I was rofling when the Simon's Quest day to night screen popped up. By far one of my favorite AVGN moments.

:lol

Definitely, that was hilarious. James always nails these endings but this was one of my favorites.

Andrex said:

I must've poured dozens of rentals into it, owned it later in life, and still I can join you in saying I've never finished it.

That was more a result of be quitting in the face of a frustrating fall or two (or ten) as was mentioned in the video...but I always eventually came back for more. Fun game, it'll always be on my to-beat list.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Andrex said:
I'd never bail once I get a game... even if it wasn't my choice... It's how I got up to Wily's second form in MM2 (VC).

Wily's second form is incredibly easy if you
use Bubble Lead

darkwings

Banned
castlevania II was actually fun. I loved it as a kid. I dont get the hate. I love the adventure aspect of it, roaming the countryside for towns, cemeteries, forests and mansions.

darkwings said:
castlevania II was actually fun. I loved it as a kid. I dont get the hate. I love the adventure aspect of it, roaming the countryside for towns, cemeteries, forests and mansions.

Same here, it's my second favorite Castlevania game altogether (after 64 / LoD).

It's got some issues, but as does every other entry in the series. Excellent experience, still.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Castlevania II is good, but who the hell was able to figure out that orb-kneeling thing without looking in Nintendo Power? That's the problem with the game. You're more likely to play russian roulette with a fully loaded gun and live than make heads or tails of a couple of the more obscure "hints" in that game.

jjasper

darkwings said:

I really like it but it definitely has problems. Off the top of my head:
1) Townspeople are no help and sometimes tell you the exact opposite of what you should do
2) The orb kneeling is impossible unless you got lucky or read about what to do
3) Fake blocks equalling random pitfalls in the dungeons causing you to have to use holy water on every block, or fall and then backtrack to the spot and hop you remember, or die

Castlevania II is awesome, but flawed. It's how I want Castlevania games to be done, I love the open-world exploration. I know the Metroidvania breed is open-world as well but there was just something more epic/mysterious about traveling between towns, finding old mansions in the woods, etc. Really fantastic atmosphere. If there's a game that needs to be remade, it's Castlevania II.

bionic77

Red Scarlet said:
Are you talking about the second form of the last boss in Castlevania 1 on the NES? Because if that is what you are talking about then no you can't avoid the jump but you can freeze him with holy water. Everyone usually makes the mistake of getting the boomerang, but the freeze factor made holy water the weapon of choice for most boss fights in that game.

I too used the boomerang when I first got to that boss and hoped for the best.

darkwings said:
I loved the first one to death, but got quickly annoyed with the sequel as a kid.
I could finish entire RPGs (Dragon Warrior), but didn't even know what to do in CV II.

III is the best Castlevania ever made though, and in the top 3 of my favorite NES games.
Better than SotN, but only because that game changed the series way too much.

Can't wait for the next AVGN.

Gotta love the CVIV music in the beginning. Out of all the games, IV had the greatest sense of horror and dread thanks to the music. Good episode.

darkwings

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Castlevania II is awesome, but flawed. It's how I want Castlevania games to be done, I love the open-world exploration. I know the Metroidvania breed is open-world as well but there was just something more epic/mysterious about traveling between towns, finding old mansions in the woods, etc. Really fantastic atmosphere. If there's a game that needs to be remade, it's Castlevania II.

This.

And OoE didnt succeed very well. The town sucked.

Whimsical Phil said:
Wily's second form is incredibly easy if you
use Bubble Lead
I think you're confused,
you need to save the Bubble Lead for his final form. His second form goes down in like 2 seconds if you spam Metal Blades.

Andrex said:

Mega Man 2 is one of the easier Mega Man games.

Castlevania is going to grind your testicles between its teeth before it even gets warmed up.

Jazzem

A friend gifted me Castlevania on VC, and I did beat it via on-and-off play over a year...that was using the suspension points as well, I can't imagine doing the game in one go! He's right about the final stretch before Dracula too, although the trick is to keep destroying the knight's axes and get into just the right position.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
nincompoop said:
I think you're confused,
you need to save the Bubble Lead for his final form. His second form goes down in like 2 seconds if you spam Metal Blades.
Not confused, really. I just read "Wily's second form" to mean his
alien form
as opposed to his
"Mega Man just shot the front shield off of my flying tank" form
. The original statement is a bit vague and could be read both ways. I think it was the "I got up to" that implied to me that the second form was something that had to be reached beyond the flying tank.

I also feel silly spoiler tagging a game that's over 20 years old.

On the subject of AVGN, though, I wonder how many parts this review will be. I mean, I fully expect him to revisit CV2 in the next episode. I'm guessing that he'll probably tackle CV3 in it as well.

But what after that? It sounds like he'll be doing most, if not all, of the old games. So will we see an episode dedicated to the Game Boy games? The 16-bit ones? The two N64 titles? It'll be interesting to see how far he takes this. It'd be great to see him review all of them, though.

Top Bottom