• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

BorntoPlay

In this week, i finally pay off my house loan...

EV2LGRIU8AAH2UI.jpg

... My investment in turnips made a good profit ....

EV2NYX2VAAAbM21.jpg

And I did caugth a big prehistoric fish...

EV2PROJUEAAum2r.jpg

Last edited:

Thurible

BorntoPlay BorntoPlay We are having similar weeks (though I only wish I could have had a market of 606 bells). My experience trying to catch a coelacanth was much harder for me than getting the golden trout. Though it is a beautiful fish, I'm glad this sucker is going to be trapped in an enclosed aquarium for the rest of it's days.
VlwTZj5.jpg

BorntoPlay

BorntoPlay BorntoPlay We are having similar weeks (though I only wish I could have had a market of 606 bells). My experience trying to catch a coelacanth was much harder for me than getting the golden trout. Though it is a beautiful fish, I'm glad this sucker is going to be trapped in an enclosed aquarium for the rest of it's days.
VlwTZj5.jpg

That's great, but I didn't look for it... I was hunting tarantulas when I saw a big silhouette in the water, I didn't know about it until I caught it... lol

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Is there a very complete list of second player (non-primary resident) limitations in Animal Crossing: New Horizons? I can find plenty of complaints, but little real information.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a 4 star island and the only feedback to go to 5 is to have more storefronts. I think it means I just need my Nook's Cranny to upgrade. Seems like the only criteria for that is I need to wait 3 more days.

I know this is a lovefest for this game, but maybe someone here could explain to me what the allure is with this game/series, or how someone who has never played this would get into it.

I love stardew valley and dq builders for the collecting , exploring and building, but from what I seen this game only has collecting and more pick from catalog building. In dq builders 2 you have to collect form nature, break objects, dig, kill creatures and take their parts, build recipes , build rooms based on blueprints for required items/blocks and go on quests, obtain weapons, spells, level up etc.. Stardew valley has a farming system with multiple crops, npcs that have a storyline and react to you , mystery with the old town hall, and a full multi-leveled dungeon to fight monsters and gain ores and treasure.

Animal Crossing doesn't seem to have a game play loop besides bang tree with stick for pine cones, bang rock with stick for more rock, a little fishing and order stuff from catalog to put in your island, at least that is what the videos of it have shown me. Maybe I am missing something. Is there an actual gameplay loop here. A reason to continue. Is there a challenge? Is the crafting actually recipe based or just click a button and done? what's with the cutsie artstyle? Why is everyone so obsessed with this? I would love to know what I am not seeing here. Why do you love the game?

Also I heard that the game only displays what time it is for you in real life. So does that mean if you work during the day and can only play at night you will never see daytime in the game? that seems a bit weird to me, and not enjoyable.

Bluecondor

I love stardew valley and dq builders for the collecting , exploring and building, but from what I seen this game only has collecting and more pick from catalog building. In dq builders 2 you have to collect form nature, break objects, dig, kill creatures and take their parts, build recipes , build rooms based on blueprints for required items/blocks and go on quests, obtain weapons, spells, level up etc.. Stardew valley has a farming system with multiple crops, npcs that have a storyline and react to you , mystery with the old town hall, and a full multi-leveled dungeon to fight monsters and gain ores and treasure.

Ya - if you love the more in depth missions and crafting of Stardew Valley and DQ builder, you are probably not going to enjoy Animal Crossing very much. There is a lot of customizability though with the design of the inside of your home, the island you live on (including terraforming) and your clothing (I just downloaded a Tesla shirt that another user created and shared, along with a "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt that looks really close to the Napoleon Dynamite version).

If you haven't played Graveyard Keeper yet - you might want to give this a shot. It is pretty close the gameplay loop of Stardew Valley, but with a very dark story and some complex game mechanics:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/graveyard-keeper-switch/

Hey y’all! Been in NeoGaf for many years now though I’ve always been more of a shadowy conspirer rather than an avid poster.

Boyfriend and I have been quarantining to this game for the past 3-4 weeks now. I’ve played AC since the original, this is his first however (and the addiction is strong).

FC: 3889-6630-2009

Lemme know if anyone wants to visit or have me over just for fun, maybe even throw some catalogue swapping parties. Been dying to get my paws on some elusive stuff lol. I also play the stalk market and will post prices if I get lucky :)

jts

...hate me...
finally breached the 150,000 point ranking for the happy home academy and got the gold trophy, not sure if there's any more awards now as i have the gold silver & bronze plaques & trophies as well as the wall hanging thingy. I have a sneaking suspicion there might be something for 200,000 but i have yet to get that high.
S4d2RRP.jpg

h95y2Uh.jpg

Happy home designer taught me well on decorating homes, it's my favourite part of the game.
Congrats, can you show more deets of your house? The sneak peak we get from it looks great.

I hope this isn't off topic, but I never played AC, but recently came across this mashup between Animal Crossing and Doom in form of a Beat Saber map and I love it.

Such a good fit.

alf717

Yesterday I couldn't get anything higher than a 3 star rating no matter what advice I followed from Isabelle. Now today I have a 4 star rating. I did add a few street lamps and a utility pole. Was that enough to raise my score or do I have to wait for the next day to arrive before my score goes up?

Yesterday I couldn't get anything higher than a 3 star rating no matter what advice I followed from Isabelle. Now today I have a 4 star rating. I did add a few street lamps and a utility pole. Was that enough to raise my score or do I have to wait for the next day to arrive before my score goes up?

4 to 5 is much more work flowers and trees, fences and paths. A few big items but mostly every square of your island should have something before you hit 5

it is not hard but your island has to be clean of weeds and sticks

alf717

4 to 5 is much more work flowers and trees, fences and paths. A few big items but mostly every square of your island should have something before you hit 5

it is not hard but your island has to be clean of weeds and sticks

Thanks for the info I always struggle with this in any AC game. She was bouncing around that I needed more scenery and then fencing. It was driving me nuts. She now says there is a bunch of clutter but that is probably cause of all the recipes I drop on the beach.

Thanks for the info I always struggle with this in any AC game. She was bouncing around that I needed more scenery and then fencing. It was driving me nuts. She now says there is a bunch of clutter but that is probably cause of all the recipes I drop on the beach.

yeah you can't have trash at all no dropped items they must be placed items
if you have hybrid flowers that will speed things up. 90 or so black roses got me over the top
flowers make things easier

you don't have to wait for the next day Isabelle updates her status score instantly

I can drop from a 5 to a 4 by just dropping trash a few places same day. And go pick them up again and get her to say 5 again.
So it is a real time score with her you just have to manage it.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Getting fencing to work with my layout is a pain. I am slowly redoing pretty much everything to accommodate the amount of fencing needed to hit 5 stars. I have enough, just making it look good is the problem.

Poop!

so there is a guide book out now that comfirms feng shui and other things you do have to guess about
It is about 400 pages I need to get my hands on it

Amazon says it's not released until 4/30/20. Where did you confirm that it was "out now"?

Lrnex

I really miss Beetle Island from the last game. I’m struggling so much with getting bells to fund expansions this time round. Today I put my life savings into the stalk market at 101 bells so hopefully I can turn things around!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I really miss Beetle Island from the last game. I’m struggling so much with getting bells to fund expansions this time round. Today I put my life savings into the stalk market at 101 bells so hopefully I can turn things around!

Similar to NL, go to islands at night. You have a chance at tarantula islands. Also, set up flower beds on your island in manner that allows for off-screen spawning. Before I made millions on turnips I made most on a jog across the various spots with groups of flowers. Especially if you have rare colors since expensive butterflies spawn near them.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I've been reading this thread silently and grabbing tips so thanks everyone!

I am very new and this is my first AC game and its damn addicting! Super fun for sure.

I only have 5 villagers and paying off my 348K loan but came back with 12 or so spiders from my first island farm!

jts

...hate me...
I've been reading this thread silently and grabbing tips so thanks everyone!

I am very new and this is my first AC game and its damn addicting! Super fun for sure.

I only have 5 villagers and paying off my 348K loan but came back with 12 or so spiders from my first island farm!
Maximize those profits by holding on to them and selling to Flick when he comes around! It’s like 18 instead of 12! Although the opportunity cost is that it makes you wait using that cash for loan payments and such. But when not in immediate need for bells, I save all my bugs for Flick and fish for CJ.

God Turnip Exchange is equal parts frustrating as it is wonderful. Couldn't invest in the Stalk Market too heavily yesterday due to a lack of funds, but have managed to make a cool 2m Bells. That's another bridge paid for.

I might try the Tarantula island spawn trick as Flick in town. If I could sell another 500k worth of tarantulas I'd be set for a while.

I'm excited by the rumours that there might be more shops and merchants, but really all I want is Brewster back. Give me my coffee damn it. Oh, and an art gallery in the museum would be cool too, but only if it means Redd is coming back.

Also Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage thank you for the hybrid chart. I've created some small flowering spots that I'm going to try that out on.

What about new shops? I don't even want to build up my island a whole lot just in case we get new shops/buildings.

at least one more nook shop upgrade and I get a garden shop maybe?
Redd has a boat shop? So plenty of shops to look forward to hopefully most of it is this week

I don't want to wait too long for new shops

hope not it would segment the community, they sold enough of this game to make a nice profit, they should wait a while for paid DLC they already promised all these holiday DLC for free

😆😆😆 These companies are not your best friends. They are in the money making business. Paid DLC has been funding studios for years. It wont split anything, some will have amazing gear and others will wish they had. Thats it.

jts

...hate me...
😆😆😆 These companies are not your best friends. They are in the money making business. Paid DLC has been funding studios for years. It wont split anything, some will have amazing gear and others will wish they had. Thats it.
Animal Crossing would be the easiest game to have micro-transactions for, yet it doesn’t and random people are making money from it instead, that Nintendo is leaving on the table.

I’m sure this game will be getting lots of free updates throughout some time. If there’s ever a paid DLC, it will be some kind of campaign or side stuff, not shops and the like.

The studio will be funded by selling millions of copies over a looong time at full price.

man I know Nintendo is not my best friend but you sound like you want them to TOM NOOK us to death here. Like I said I hope not Animal Crossing has way too many items they could have placed in loot boxes if they wanted to screw us I think because of the long history of the game being the way it is the backlash would kill the series if they went strong on paid DLC just saying.

I am not really a cheapass gamer I buy any expansion or paid DLC of a game I still want to play, Destiny is the only shit I gave up on because I did not want to pay for the next 5 years so I stopped when Destiny 2 came out and refused to buy in.

I have every Nintendo paid DLC even for Smash which I don't even play that much less than 20 hours.
I don't mind buying DLC I just hope this game does not get them until a year or so down the line

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Is there a very complete list of second player (non-primary resident) limitations in Animal Crossing: New Horizons? I can find plenty of complaints, but little real information.

Alright, I'll do it myself.

Is anyone able to add to my list of second-player limitations? I'm looking for island-progression items which you've seen a second (or third, or fourth, or etc) player CAN or CANNOT complete.

Feel free to fork the gist or just DM me.

Lrnex

Similar to NL, go to islands at night. You have a chance at tarantula islands. Also, set up flower beds on your island in manner that allows for off-screen spawning. Before I made millions on turnips I made most on a jog across the various spots with groups of flowers. Especially if you have rare colors since expensive butterflies spawn near them.

I’ve heard of the tarantula island trick but that seemed much more time intensive and haven’t given it a try yet. The flower method you mentioned though is definitely something I will need to try. I’d probably save every bug until Flick comes back

jts

...hate me...
I got the real tarantula island on my 3rd day playing (Sunday March 22nd) and it was amazing. Had absolutely no clue it existed. I did the “tarantula island trick” afterwards and it was ok, but not quite the same. And it is time intensive as hell.

I’ll probably never see the real thing again. I wonder if there’s gonna be a “scorpion island” starting next month, when the tarantula moves away and the scorpion comes into scene at the same price.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I didn't even know there was a tarantula island trick. I've yet to go there but I also stopped going to the islands once I had all the fruit and figured out I could farm butterflies with relative ease. I really only go if I need more stone, iron, or clay.

freaking hate playing at night and these damn tarantulas ambush me
one waited for me outside of Nooks stop :(

so tired of them I hate spiders!

Celeste hides too much or my island has too many trees making her hard to find but I need that Rocket DIY

Last edited:
Top Bottom