• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT6| Not So New Leaf

I really hope at least some of these stories make it back to the powers that be. People dealing with loss, depression, bullying, family issues have so eloquently (and often artistically) echoed these sentiments. I had the pleasure of seeing how a young girl going through bullying issues latched on to this game and it would be nice to know that the developers, producers, translators, etc. knew what kind of impact their creation had on others. Hopefully a good number of these stories make it back to them instead of just the "wah-wah boredom simulator" noise.

I'm always happy to see people finding some peace, SA. Glad you could find a bit of yours here.
That's a really good way to put it and it's cool to see that you saw someone go through that with the game. I went through all those things while I played the first game. I never went through a depression but bullies do have a way of making you feel worse about yourself and yeah, video games, especially Animal Crossing was there for me for all those moments. I can see how some people might not enjoy the series and think it is boring but it hit the right spot for me at the right time and it's things like this that make the game more than it is. I really hope the devs see stories like these too.

It's also funny because I didn't know much about the game when I bought it. I thought it would be a fun game to pass the time on boring days. Never thought it would be what it has become to me.

Hey Smack, wanna do some island activities together? I'm game!
I didn't have much time to myself today but if you're around tomorrow, I'm game. I have no plans so I should be on for most of the afternoon and evening. I'll just post when I'm on and we could go from there. I've yet to do any island activities with other players so that would be really fun.

That's a really good way to put it and it's cool to see that you saw someone go through that with the game. I went through all those things while I played the first game. I never went through a depression but bullies do have a way of making you feel worse about yourself and yeah, video games, especially Animal Crossing was there for me for all those moments. I can see how some people might not enjoy the series and think it is boring but it hit the right spot for me at the right time and it's things like this that make the game more than it is. I really hope the devs see stories like these too.

It's also funny because I didn't know much about the game when I bought it. I thought it would be a fun game to pass the time on boring days. Never thought it would be what it has become to me.

I didn't have much time to myself today but if you're around tomorrow, I'm game. I have no plans so I should be on for most of the afternoon and evening. I'll just post when I'm on and we could go from there. I've yet to do any island activities with other players so that would be really fun.

I think I should be free tomorrow too. I'm on EST though, so we'll have to coordinate.

Choomp

Banned
AC is just one of those games that make you reflect on life. Although the villagers and NPCs are just programmed in a certain way to react, it's just fun to see a villager go "!" and run up to you looking cheerful.

When it comes to GC version, it's such a relaxing game, one of my favorite aesthetics and games of all time, you can also kill plenty of time on there. That's why I think we hear of people often talking about Animal Crossing getting them through though times and the like. Thanks for sharing SmackAttack, hugs to you

Dak'kon

Thought this was neat... some hacked the Gamecube version of Animal Crossing so that they could insert their own 8Bit game in there.

[GCN] Animal Crossing hack that replaces NES game

Oh, curiously... anyone have an extra pair of Hero Boots around? Was thinking it'd be fun to streetpass people on Friday dressed up in the mask and Link's clothing but I gave my boots away some time ago and haven't seen another pair yet.

That's cool. So the game has a built in NES emulator?

I have a pair of Hero's Boots if you want them :)

That's cool. So the game has a built in NES emulator?

I have a pair of Hero's Boots if you want them :)
Yeah... used to be fun trying to track them down. I actually have all the Animal Crossing eReader cards and some promotional cards that you could scan at the time to obtain them. :)

And awesome! Let me know when you'll be around and I'll pop over. I still have the Resetti model for Piggy too.

Dak'kon

Yeah... used to be fun trying to track them down. I actually have all the Animal Crossing eReader cards and some promotional cards that you could scan at the time to obtain them. :)

And awesome! Let me know when you'll be around and I'll pop over. I still have the Resetti model for Piggy too.

They never released any of the eReader stuff in Europe so I had to be content with Balloon Fight and Donkey Kong in my AC house :/

I'm around now if you are :)

As am I. Forgot to mention that, lol. I got a late start to the day but I'll be playing this for a few hours if you or anyone else wants to some island stuff.

Sorry, I completely forgot about this! I also need to add you to my friends list. I'm at work all day today sadly, but I should be able to get some hours free probably tomorrow.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
By the way, if anyone is still building snowmen still, feel free to let me know if you need bingo numbers. I'll still be building them til the snow is gone on the 25th.

By the way, if anyone is still building snowmen still, feel free to let me know if you need bingo numbers. I'll still be building them til the snow is gone on the 25th.
I haven't built a snowman all season. Mwahaha!

Gigi is in boxes today if anyone needs a frog lady for their town. :)

Choomp

Banned
I haven't built a snowman all season. Mwahaha!

Gigi is in boxes today if anyone needs a frog lady for their town. :)

Ew, Gigi is the worst. She moved from my town the other day and I was gonna post a similar thing that you just did but I figured I'd spare you guys from Gigi.

Found this image on Reddit this morning:

1QS8RBb.jpg

I am now convinced that I want an Animal Crossing Amiibo version of the NPCs. Rover, Isabelle, K.K., etc.

Ew, Gigi is the worst. She moved from my town the other day and I was gonna post a similar thing that you just did but I figured I'd spare you guys from Gigi.
Yeah... she was one of my most recent move-ins and I'm okay to let her go this soon... but I'm not going to knock if purple frogs are someone's thang. :p
I am now convinced that I want an Animal Crossing Amiibo version of the NPCs. Rover, Isabelle, K.K., etc.
Just now? Psssh. I've been ready to be a surrogate if it means the cash to buy the entire staff and villager collection.

Frogstep

Yeah... she was one of my most recent move-ins and I'm okay to let her go this soon... but I'm not going to knock if purple frogs are someone's thang. :p

I actually have her but not because of that reason you said, lol. There aren't many good female frogs and I already have the two best (Lily and Puddles).

I felt the need to add another and the other alternatives are Jambette and Diva... No fucking thank you! :p

HF2014

Hey wondering something. Im playing New Leaf atm, but i never played the Wii version ( City Folks ). Is it worth it? I read on the IGN review that the control can be rough, So just wondering if it worth picking it up for like 20$.

Thanks!

This is my first animal crossing, I don't think I'd be seen as the typical animal crossing player, I've never played a game that has similarities to it at all.

However, I think it's incredible. And what I love about it the most is the fact it has such confidence in its own world. Anything can be done, but at the games pace. Not many games out there that makes people actually wait for the fruits of their labour.

I know that sounds a bit strange, but having something so out of step to other games was refreshing to say the least.

It's incredibly charming, funny, endearing and melancholy,

I've not read the IGN review, will do so after this post, but there is nothing difficult about the controls.

Edit: completely misunderstood the post.

I stand by my answer

Elija2

Hey wondering something. Im playing New Leaf atm, but i never played the Wii version ( City Folks ). Is it worth it? I read on the IGN review that the control can be rough, So just wondering if it worth picking it up for like 20$.

Thanks!

I don't really think there's any reason to go back to City Folk if you already have New Leaf.

HF2014

This is my first animal crossing, I don't think I'd be seen as the typical animal crossing player, I've never played a game that has similarities to it at all.

However, I think it's incredible. And what I love about it the most is the fact it has such confidence in its own world. Anything can be done, but at the games pace. Not many games out there that makes people actually wait for the fruits of their labour.

I know that sounds a bit strange, but having something so out of step to other games was refreshing to say the least.

It's incredibly charming, funny, endearing and melancholy,

I've not read the IGN review, will do so after this post, but there is nothing difficult about the controls.

Edit: completely misunderstood the post.

I stand by my answer

Yop. This game is my relaxing hobbit atm. Love a game you play at your own pace. Its funny, cute, and imo it beat all kind of similar game you can get on IOS. I might buy a strategy book to learn a bit more about what you can do, there seem to be lots of stuff i dont know yet.

HF2014

I don't really think there's any reason to go back to City Folk if you already have New Leaf.

Is there more/different content in the Wii version? I am very happy with New Leaf, but wondering if City Folks worth a try for something different.

Is there more/different content in the Wii version? I am very happy with New Leaf, but wondering if City Folks worth a try for something different.
Different yes... more no. As someone who played a crapton of the original AC, I only spent a fraction of the time in CF. There just wasn't enough there even though I loved the world. It's like I rather would have picked my old town again and did stuff there.

I haven't tried to go back to CF but I'd imagine after NL, it'd feel dull.

---
So my nips are 186 for the next two hours. I don't know if it's going to spike or not in the afternoon because I hadn't been keeping track (I do know it was only 76 last night). Just a heads up though in case anyone did buy this week.

Okay... my afternoon nip prices are FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-TWO Bells.

I need to grab lunch soon but if anyone needs to sell, let me know.

Is it just me or do the Snowmen get pickier and pickier? I'm starting to get more and more imperfect Snowmen and getting more and more numbers that aren't on my card.

Had my birthday recently, so it was fun to see how it's addressed in the game.

Also just got Club lol up and running. The fun thing is with the Metroid Item theme as my tune, makes for one awesome tune by DJ KK.

HF2014

Different yes... more no. As someone who played a crapton of the original AC, I only spent a fraction of the time in CF. There just wasn't enough there even though I loved the world. It's like I rather would have picked my old town again and did stuff there.

I haven't tried to go back to CF but I'd imagine after NL, it'd feel dull.

---
So my nips are 186 for the next two hours. I don't know if it's going to spike or not in the afternoon because I hadn't been keeping track (I do know it was only 76 last night). Just a heads up though in case anyone did buy this week.

Hmm k. Thanks for this info. Going to stick with New Leaf and cross finger a wii u version is in the work!

Niraj

Is it just me or do the Snowmen get pickier and pickier? I'm starting to get more and more imperfect Snowmen and getting more and more numbers that aren't on my card.

Had my birthday recently, so it was fun to see how it's addressed in the game.

Also just got Club lol up and running. The fun thing is with the Metroid Item theme as my tune, makes for one awesome tune by DJ KK.

Happy belated birthday :)

Choomp

Banned
There have been hints towards a Wii U version. Chances are good that it might get announced at E3 this year!

I'm expecting it soon. Seems like a perfect time for Animal Crossing as Nintendo seems to need something popular towards the end of this year, Zelda can only do so much. So looking forward to it.

I'm expecting it soon. Seems like a perfect time for Animal Crossing as Nintendo seems to need something popular towards the end of this year, Zelda can only do so much. So looking forward to it.

An HD Animal Crossing would be a great addition and make wonderful use of the friends list on the system.

Choomp

Banned
An HD Animal Crossing would be a great addition and make wonderful use of the friends list on the system.

Imagining HD now gets me so excited. I hope they'll utilize the Friends List more too, I kinda have my doubts about that though. I don't expect too much of a change from New Leaf either, there'll probably one big new addition like the City in CF and that'll be it really.

I mean AC GAF has shared some complaints about New Leaf. Although it's definitely a step up from previous iterations as I believe (I've never played the originals), I think one issue most of us can agree with is the placement of "reserved" spots for new transplants.

There are many times where my perfect fruit orchard was suddenly gone and a villager moves in.

Although Ankha is a queen cat herself anyway so...

Frogstep

I mean AC GAF has shared some complaints about New Leaf. Although it's definitely a step up from previous iterations as I believe (I've never played the originals), I think one issue most of us can agree with is the placement of "reserved" spots for new transplants.

There are many times where my perfect fruit orchard was suddenly gone and a villager moves in.

Although Ankha is a queen cat herself anyway so...

I think the biggest thing I hate is how easy grass dies. D:

HF2014

Question about New Leaf. I have no friends on my friend list ( shame on me im the only Nintendo addict and my friend laugh at me , im near 40 btw...) so, i cannot visit others villages, since i gto NO FRIENDS!

But wondering if it is worth it to have some? If i go visit someone else city, will their stores have different stuff to sell? Or its just a way you can see others village and not really do things in it.

Niraj

Question about New Leaf. I have no friends on my friend list ( shame on me im the only Nintendo addict and my friend laugh at me , im near 40 btw...) so, i cannot visit others villages, since i gto NO FRIENDS!

But wondering if it is worth it to have some? If i go visit someone else city, will their stores have different stuff to sell? Or its just a way you can see others village and not really do things in it.

Stores have different things to buy, you can get signatures for your petitions that villagers sometimes hand you, during events you can usually get an item from Isabelle in the plaza (mostly beneficial if you want extras or if it's an event in another region), and it's the easiest way to get items during the bug and fishing contests. You can also visit the island together and play minigames. There are also badges related to having visitors and visiting other towns if those are of interest to you. So it really depends what you want to get out of it.

Frogstep

Yep, everyone should have different furniture and stuff for sale. If someone has a higher upgraded store than the one that's in your town then that's also a nice bonus!

Sometimes villagers will ask you to find petitions signatures for "so and so" and you can only get signatures from villagers of a different town.
Visiting other peoples towns can also give you some inspiration if you're having trouble figuring out how you want your town or rooms in your house to look like.

HF2014

Ohhh thats great! I think i miss some part of the game not going online!

Here is my friend code:

0748-1914-5066

Add me plz if you have room!

:)

I'm at McDonald's right now for the Nintendo zone crap, but I connected and checked my post office and received an Aquarius urn instead of the Ogre mask.

What gives?

Niraj

I'm at McDonald's right now for the Nintendo zone crap, but I connected and checked my post office and received an Aquarius urn instead of the Ogre mask.

What gives?

Same thing happened to me earlier today.

Seems like other people are also having the same issue: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/71136787

Some people on the last page are saying McDonald's doesn't work for whatever reason, but could just be a ymmv situation. I'd try another Nintendo Zone if you have one nearby.

Anyone available to open for signatures? Biff asked me for some for his Martial Arts for Everyone and since he gets his pump on regularly, I'd rather not upset him and fail.

I can open for you, just give me a sec.
Thanks. I'll head over in just a minute. Hoarding my new batch of perfect oranges.

Edit: On my way

Edit 2: Thanks again Niraj. Also, I think it's worth noting that Soleil was very into the idea of martial arts training. A little too into it.

Top Bottom