• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another WWE star injured, (alberto Del Rio)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched wrestling since the 90s so I don't know if it's the same, but is there a reason why the ring is literally a thin mat on a slab of solid wood?

I can't imagine the toll that takes on these guys.

XenoRaven

I haven't watched wrestling since the 90s so I don't know if it's the same, but is there a reason why the ring is literally a thin mat on a slab of solid wood?

I can't imagine the toll that takes on these guys.
There's also shock absorption underneath the ring but taking a bump isn't exactly pleasant.

I don't really follow the severity of these injuries, and obviously some of them required surgery, but I wonder if any of these injuries would have been something the WWE would have taken a blind eye to and people would have wrestled through 5-10 years ago.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Keep in mind, one of the WWE's previous top performers had something like that.

QsMijxp.gif

Ronin Ray

Call up Finn Balor, samoa joe, asuka , and debut Shinsuke Nakamura at WrestleMania and have the greatest wreslted wrestlemania ever.

Unemployment numbers get published on the first Friday of every month and are discussed in individual threads.
Someone contact a mod, this post is too much even by WrassleGAF standards. You guys are taking it too far. Somebody stop the damn match.

Jesus. I like Del Rio, he lacks something, but he's a great worker. I hope he recovers fast.

I do not wish him bad, but I'm kinda expecting to see Roman get injured any time now, just to see WWE in full panic mode. I imagine that they wouldn't even push someone else, they would put someone in the main event picture but keep having Roman as THE guy somehow.

Okay allow me to step in:

1) I've okayed the thread.
2) I have nothing against wrestling threads that stay on topic. I have an issue with the wrestling community thread from January 2016 being full of garbage.
3) Please let me moderate and you post in threads you like.

New threads for new news is the policy!

Thank you for clarifying.

Anyway, fuck Alberto del Rio, but has WWE ever had this many major injuries simultaneously? Cena, Rollins, Cesaro, Orton, Sheamus, del Rio, Barrett, Sin Cara, Kidd, Nikki Bella, Naomi, and that's just off the top of my head!

A better company would see this and realize that they need to institute SOME kind of policy to alleviate this bullshit, even just a rotating three week/one month annual vacation for every X number of bumps/minutes of ring time, but WWE still seems to have a regressive mentality that injuries are something to be "worked through", not something to be proactively treated to extend performers' healthy years.

Call up Finn Balor, samoa joe, asuka , and debut Shinsuke Nakamura at WrestleMania and have the greatest wreslted wrestlemania ever.

Joe is supposed to come up right after Mania. Nakamura is going to be in NXT for awhile, so will Asuka probably since that will give Nakamura someone to hang out with and learn the ropes with. Balor is ready to go at any time, but it is probably better for him to wait in NXT for awhile since he would just be another guy lost in the midcard 50/50 booking right now.

Went to an NXT show tonight and was shocked at how loud the ring was. Like I knew there was little padding but it was audible over the fans. Doesn't surprise me these guys injure so easily.

Kuroyume

Banned
Seems that everybody but Romans gets injured.

Btw, am I the only one that prefers Del Rio instead of Kalisto as champ? I generally like acrobatic wrestlers over brawlers, but I find Kalisto kind of annoying. Hate that Lucha chant. Hete his theme song. Don't really find much enjoyable. Del Rio is at least a fun heel.

I think Triple Haitch sees Balor as a long-term face of NXT, especially with the impending arrival of Anderson and Gallows and his likely subsequent run as a cool heel. With NXT being a touring brand and running big Takeover shows 4-5 times per year, fans knowing that someone like Balor is there to stay gives value to the NXT brand (and to the network), value that's not there if it really is "just" developmental. Plus, just logistically speaking, there's no younger wrestler or indie darling ready to take Balor's place as top NXT guy. Itami is probably not going to be ready to return until summer at the earliest, Baron Corbin is someone who really should be on the main roster soon and is not an ideal "NXT guy", really, Gable is more valuable with Jordan for the time being, Zayn is probably main roster bound after his match with Nakamura, Joe is probably main roster bound after his match with Balor, and Nakamura wrestling in front of Full Sail would be fucking stupid. Although maybe Aries could be a decent NXT champ, I dunno.

I think Triple Haitch sees Balor as a long-term face of NXT, especially with the impending arrival of Anderson and Gallows and his likely subsequent run as a cool heel. With NXT being a touring brand and running big Takeover shows 4-5 times per year, fans knowing that someone like Balor is there to stay gives value to the NXT brand (and to the network), value that's not there if it really is "just" developmental. Plus, just logistically speaking, there's no younger wrestler or indie darling ready to take Balor's place as top NXT guy. Itami is probably not going to be ready to return until summer at the earliest, Baron Corbin is someone who really should be on the main roster soon and is not an ideal "NXT guy", really, Gable is more valuable with Jordan for the time being, Zayn is probably main roster bound after his match with Nakamura, Joe is probably main roster bound after his match with Balor, and Nakamura wrestling in front of Full Sail would be fucking stupid.

No it wouldn't. He wrestled in front of ROH crowds. Some time in NXT will benefit Nakamura a ton. They should have put AJ there for a couple of months also to get acclimated. They put AJ against Curtis Axel on Smackdown so seems like they've already cooled on him. Baron Corbin is horrible, but he's been in NXT so long they might as well bring him up to sink or swim.

mjontrix

They're clearly being overworked.

Scrap Main Event, and stick to just RAW and Smackdown; and NXT but that doesn't affect the main wrestlers. Take RAW back to 2 hours, and pad the ring more if needed.

The problem is that for this to work they'd need a nice, tight script for RAW and Smackdown that keeps a nice combination of both story and wrestling - which if you've been keeping track WWE is horrid at doing.

Honestly until Vince is gone and Triple HHH gets his ego in check this crap will keep on happening. If any of the New Day get injured I won't even bother watching. They're the best thing in WWE atm.

Hex

Banned
Thank you for clarifying.

Anyway, fuck Alberto del Rio, but has WWE ever had this many major injuries simultaneously? Cena, Rollins, Cesaro, Orton, Sheamus, del Rio, Barrett, Sin Cara, Kidd, Nikki Bella, Naomi, and that's just off the top of my head!

A better company would see this and realize that they need to institute SOME kind of policy to alleviate this bullshit, even just a rotating three week/one month annual vacation for every X number of bumps/minutes of ring time, but WWE still seems to have a regressive mentality that injuries are something to be "worked through", not something to be proactively treated to extend performers' healthy years.

I think the problem is that no other company is so fucked up with their hierarchy that the talent works injured and does whatever they can to try and hide injuries to keep their spots once they have them because they are so afraid that they will not get them back.
Where as NJPW, ROH and other things while the TOP spot is pretty much locked it is not nearly as rough.

Bubba T

I think the problem is that no other company is so fucked up with their hierarchy that the talent works injured and does whatever they can to try and hide injuries to keep their spots once they have them because they are so afraid that they will not get them back.
Where as NJPW, ROH and other things while the TOP spot is pretty much locked it is not nearly as rough.

NFL.

No it wouldn't. He wrestled in front of ROH crowds. Some time in NXT will benefit Nakamura a ton. They should have put AJ there for a couple of months also to get acclimated. They put AJ against Curtis Axel on Smackdown so seems like they've already cooled on him. Baron Corbin is horrible, but he's been in NXT so long they might as well bring him up to sink or swim.

Nakamura is 36 and has a TON of mileage on him. Get him in the performance center, get him acclimated to the hard cam shit at NXT Dallas, then get him to the main roster ASAP.

As for AJ, Mauro put him over a TON on Smackdown, they hyped his Smackdown debut a few times throughout the night, and they had him go over pretty dominantly in a watchable midcard match. AJ was never going to be a main eventer, but I fully expect he's gonna have some kickass midcard matches for the next year or so, much as Cesaro did before him.

I think it's just part of wrestling culture where the performers work through injuries to prove how tough they are. Tanahashi in NJPW suffered an injury recently and is going to work through it despite being in a lot of pain for example.

Nakamura is 36 and has a TON of mileage on him. Get him in the performance center, get him acclimated to the hard cam shit at NXT Dallas, then get him to the main roster ASAP.

As for AJ, Mauro put him over a TON on Smackdown, they hyped his Smackdown debut a few times throughout the night, and they had him go over pretty dominantly in a watchable midcard match. AJ was never going to be a main eventer, but I fully expect he's gonna have some kickass midcard matches for the next year or so, much as Cesaro did before him.

Nakamura needs to learn more of the WWE style. Just look what happened to Itami when he came in. It's a huge learning curve. I never watch Smackdown, but I saw the clip WWE posted of that AJ match and damn Mauro is soooooooooooooo superior to Michael Cole in every way. They need to dump Cole and get Mauro on Raw asap. Cole is part of what's killing the WWE. He doesn't know how to get anything over.

yuraya

Wow they are falling like flies. If Roman or Brock goes down they will literally have nothing for Mania.

You will see Big Show, Triple H, Undertaker and The DEMON Kane in 2016. Four 40+ year old dinosaurs fighting it out on the biggest stage of them all.

Order now for only 9.99.

XenoRaven

Is Roman that much more of a draw than Sheamus or Del Rio to the point where if he went down it would greatly affect WM attendance?
No idea about draw or sales numbers, but they've certainly invested a lot more in Roman than the other two guys the last year or two.

I think there's also sort of this feeling with Sheamus and Del Rio that they're stale. I personally think they're both great. But it seems like it's hard for Sheamus to get through a match without people chanting random shit, even if the match is good.

Nakamura needs to learn more of the WWE style. Just look what happened to Itami when he came in. It's a huge learning curve. I never watch Smackdown, but I saw the clip WWE posted of that AJ match and damn Mauro is soooooooooooooo superior to Michael Cole in every way. They need to dump Cole and get Mauro on Raw asap. Cole is part of what's killing the WWE. He doesn't know how to get anything over.

Cole is good in situations where he doesn't have Vince in his ear. Whether Vince is giving Mauro freer rein, or Mauro is better at working around Vince's nagging than Cole, I do not know.

Nak can learn WWE style at the performance center. That's what it's there for. He will be absolutely wasted wrestling in front of 400 dummies at Full Sail, just like he was absolutely wasted wrestling in the shit promotion that is current RoH. He also speaks English better and is a better wrestler and wrestling storyteller than Itami was/is, so I can only imagine he will have an easier time figuring out what is and is not appropriate. He was already wrestling hurt in New Japan much of last year, and with as many injuries as they have, getting a guy that good, who they're paying probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to, on the main roster is imperative.

The shitty way Roman lifts I wouldn't be shocked if he gets hurt before WrestleMania too. Despite his look, the vest hiding his flabby torso not withstanding, he's never come off as particularly strong physically.

The only time Alberto was over was when he was with Ricardo. I know he was only really brought back to try and give them a Hispanic draw but the dude is duller than a spoon in WWE.

Baron Corbin is a hoss, at the very worst he'll get the standard hoss push, probably more since he supposedly gives Vince that tingly feeling in his grapefruits.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Is Roman that much more of a draw than Sheamus or Del Rio to the point where if he went down it would greatly affect WM attendance?

Assuming they did the logical thing if Reigns went down and gave the push to Ambrose, it would probably help them. Well so long as Ambrose stayed healthy. Sheamus and Del Rio are bland, but they're not holding back better performers.

Right. He either gets no reaction or a chorus of boos.

Brock going down would obviously be a much bigger problem.

He gets some cheers from some of the kids and ladies. He's less popular than Ambrose though even though they make Ambrose lose almost every match and they book Reigns to be invincible. Brock is just on a whole different level than anyone else on the roster. He exudes star power when he is out there to the point it's unbelievable when someone like the Wyatt's throw him out of the rumble. Brock would be a huge loss for Mania, but even with him on it, they are going to have to do something huge to fill up 100,000 seats.

Hex

Banned

They haven't cooled on him, they are not going to have him against main eventers yet, he is new. He needs to be in matches where he can go over before he can get tossed in the 50/50 grinder.

Hex

Banned
I think it's just part of wrestling culture where the performers work through injuries to prove how tough they are. Tanahashi in NJPW suffered an injury recently and is going to work through it despite being in a lot of pain for example.

The difference is that the NJPW schedule is alot more kind than the WWE grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom