• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another WWE star injured, (alberto Del Rio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

Well people cheered for Del Rio in 2014 against Batista. Can't remember the last time Sheamus got cheers.

gRXBZ.jpg

Even more bad news then. Del Rio's a killer in-ring talent when he wants to be, and the League of Nations were probably going to play a bigger part in WrestleMania this year because of all the other injuries...

We had a rush of broken necks in 2002- Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Edge, Hardcore Holly, Lita (and probably some more people I'm forgetting). They made changes- less crazy ladder spots, longer and slower matches- and it's now a pretty uncommon thing for a wrestler to break their neck. They need to figure out what is causing all of this- I'm not as convinced as some people that it's the style of lifting they are doing, because if it was, I would think you would see a lot more injuries on the NXT side of the roster, who are all at that preformance center daily doing those lifts.

It does seem like they are cursed by god though. This is the year they are running a nearly 100,000 seat arena for Wrestlemania, and apparently (according to the sheets), the year Vince had most of the Wrestlemania card made 6 months ago that's all been thrown out due to injury.
I'd be really interested to find out what their original plans were for WrestleMania. Maybe that will come out at some point, like Daniel Bryan revealing he was originally supposed to face Sheamus at WM30. With a healthy roster, I don't think attracting 100K to Dallas would have been a problem.

notworksafe

Even more bad news then. Del Rio's a killer in-ring talent when he wants to be, and the League of Nations were probably going to play a bigger part in WrestleMania this year because of all the other injuries...

I'd be really interested to find out what their original plans were for WrestleMania. Maybe that will come out at some point, like Daniel Bryan revealing he was originally supposed to face Sheamus at WM30. With a healthy roster, I don't think attracting 100K to Dallas would have been a problem.

I remember reading that the main event was supposed to be Face HHH vs Heel Rollins. Also Taker vs Cena.

Son Of D

The ones that were rumoured the most were HHH vs Rollins and Undertaker vs Cena.

Striker

I remember reading that the main event was supposed to be Face HHH vs Heel Rollins. Also Taker vs Cena.
Face Triple H is god awful, so they were relieved from that.

Del Rio injury can vary. I wonder how serious it is underneath all the stories you would read. Especially in the Mania season, they'll rush guys back just to get them in a match for the show only for them to take time off afterwards again.

If only these writers and Vince knew how to properly write and book people anymore. Big Dave does the right thing by staying away.

The ones that were rumoured the most were HHH vs Rollins and Undertaker vs Cena.
Ah okay, thanks. I think both of these would have been brilliant, although I would've expected the roles to be reversed for HHH/Rollins.

Cena/Taker can pretty much happen anytime now that the Streak has been broken, I wouldn't be surprised if they push that to SummerSlam. And hey, who's to say that Cena won't make it back in time for WM anyway? I've got a feeling that either him, Cesaro or Orton will be back before April 3rd.

In the case of Del Rio, you'd probably be looking at a tag match with the League of Nations. I struggle to think of decent opposition for them, though.

ElRenoRaven

We had a rush of broken necks in 2002- Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Edge, Hardcore Holly, Lita (and probably some more people I'm forgetting). They made changes- less crazy ladder spots, longer and slower matches- and it's now a pretty uncommon thing for a wrestler to break their neck. They need to figure out what is causing all of this- I'm not as convinced as some people that it's the style of lifting they are doing, because if it was, I would think you would see a lot more injuries on the NXT side of the roster, who are all at that preformance center daily doing those lifts.

It does seem like they are cursed by god though. This is the year they are running a nearly 100,000 seat arena for Wrestlemania, and apparently (according to the sheets), the year Vince had most of the Wrestlemania card made 6 months ago that's all been thrown out due to injury.

Well it's obvious what we need to do then. No more moves that require lifting your opponent. Problem solved.

People would have cheered for Sheamus and Del Rio?

I would/did cheer Del Rio he's a great wrestler if they would let him go off script, bulletpoints or give him something better to work with he would be over. I really liked Del Rio when he was on Smackdown which is why it was probably decent since Vince probably wasn't micromanaging. Del Rio tries his best to get some Spanish curse words in but the man can only do so much without pissing management off. He's there to make money at this point.

cLOUDo

There is no possible way they put on a show worse than 2, 4, 9, 11. It might be about as bad as the Rock Cena rematch mania.
But that match was between the two most popular wrestler with the kids
Now they have only Lesnar and he will fight against Wyatt
Whatever happens in triple vs reigns that will end with boos

kiguel182

There is no possible way they put on a show worse than 2, 4, 9, 11. It might be about as bad as the Rock Cena rematch mania.

Last year was worse than that one.

That one had Punk vs Taker which was great.

Last one had the final 5 minutes of Lesnar vs Rollins vs Reigns. That was it.

Also, they have so many good talents still available. They can still deliver a good show.

Last year was worse than that one.

That one had Punk vs Taker which was great.

Last one had the final 5 minutes of Lesnar vs Rollins vs Reigns. That was it.

Also, they have so many good talents still available. They can still deliver a good show.

Wrestlemania 31 kicked ass. Every match other than the IC Title and Taker/Wyatt match was mega enjoyable.

Striker

Only 2 and 4 I thought were poor and one of those was Vince's decision to split it into three arenas. This one? No excitement whatsoever. No thrill. Heavy reliance was going to be, yet again, on part-timers. When does it end? Further, Taker and Sheamus. How does Sheamus have any credibility or history to 'earn' that? It's like when they put him facing Mark Henry back in '06 or the Albert and Shoe match. None of it makes sense for any reasonable purpose.

Out of those the only one that'd really apply there would be Edge though. Angle already had a history of neck issues since 1996, Benoit's neck problems stemmed from over a decade of doing a diving headbutt every night, Edge's problems probably came from spears along with all the high spots, Hardcore Holly's neck issues came from Brock screwing up a powerbomb and Lita got hurt filming the series finale of Dark Angel when a stunt woman either didn't know how to take a flying head scissors or accidentally dumped Lita in her head. They still did a lot of high risk stuff, the neck injuries aren't what lead to them toning things down.

Demoskinos

They need to seriously look at how much they're having these guys wrestle (aka we don't need weekly 15 minute meaningless midcard matches on free TV) alongside the type of lifts they're doing. 3 guys out with shoulder injuries in quick succession? That ain't normal.

Thing is most of these guys WANT to have those matches. TV time is limited and getting yourself on TV is a huge deal in terms of getting over with the fans building your brand and establishing yourself. Beyond that quiet a few guys just like having good matches.

Ultratech

Seth fights against Roman, gets injured
Ceasaro fights against Roman, gets injuried
Barret fights against Roman, gets injured
Alberto fights Roman, gets injured
Sheamus fights Roman, gets injured.

WWE knows what it has to do.

Make Roman look...stronger?

What the hell is going on with that company?

Is it just the amount of shows that they're doing?

They have to do something, injuries weren't this crazy in the past.

The only good thing that could come of this, is Rusev getting attention.

But we all know that's not happening.

It's a number of things:

*Large amount of matches per year (TV, House Shows, Special Events, etc.)
*Wrestlers putting on higher quality matches in general (longer matches; doing things they probably should be saving for PPVs and the like (re: Seth Rollins))
*Freak Accidents (Yup, it's a thing.)
*Wrestlers working though injuries, possibly making them worse (or messing up something else).
*Unfortunate, no good, very bad luck.

And I'm sure there's probably one or two things I missed in there.

10/10

kiguel182

Wrestlemania 31 kicked ass. Every match other than the IC Title and Taker/Wyatt match was mega enjoyable.

The Sting vs HHH match was a sham. Nostalgia bait in it worst form.

Cena vs Rusev was okay (even if Rusev should've won) and that's it. Also, that RKO. Can't remember anything more.

But if you enjoyed it, cool.

Cena vs Rusev was okay (even if Rusev should've won) and that's it. Also, that RKO. Can't remember anything more.

Sting vs. HHH was as much fun as I've ever had watching wrestling. It was like a kabuki reenactment of some half-remembered account of how the Attitude Era went down. Rollins vs. Orton was just a fantastically wrestled match. Cena vs. Rusev was fine, but Rusev's entrance was the stuff of legends. Wyatt had a good, spooky entrance. And Reigns vs. Brock was, quite simply, the WWE Match of the Year last year. It was a simple story - Roman gets his ass beat, but unintentionally creates an opening to mount a comeback - but both wrestlers did their jobs absolutely perfectly - Roman in particular, whose selling was as good as any top WWE babyface's ever has been, particularly when he just burst into laughter at the magnitude of the beating he was getting. And then, of course, the ending, wherein the Beast and Roman both lost while remaining totally protected. That Rollins ended up being a dud of a champ is immaterial to how great of a moment it really was.

Edit: With all these injuries, however, I can't imagine this Wrestlemania being very good or having a "big" feel to it, unless somehow Rock's insurance company changes its mind.

Verendus

Banned

That's okay, friend. I remember it pretty clearly.

Wrasslin'Mania 31 was the best one of the past several years, and Roman Reigns vs. Barack Lesnar was the best main event they've had since the Heartbreak Child took on the Satan Undertaker.

orioto

Good Art™
Soo i'm so confused with wwe sometimes. They have that poll for AJ's next opponent.(which is an horrible idea and serves the philosophy that wrestling should be random exhibition match without any built, feud nor story nowadays.. no wonder why the rating are so low...)

After what happened in the rumble, AJ didn't try to go at Owens at all. Actually he's already a Ziggler or a Neville in the fact that he's not a living and deciding character on screen. He's a performer without any personality who just wrestler who's bookers tell him to.

But now, Owens isn't even on the poll chocies.. What's the idea there ? Are they avoiding something?

Pikma

Banned
Soo i'm so confused with wwe sometimes. They have that poll for AJ's next opponent.(which is an horrible idea and serves the philosophy that wrestling should be random exhibition match without any built, feud nor story nowadays.. no wonder why the rating are so low...)

After what happened in the rumble, AJ didn't try to go at Owens at all. Actually he's already a Ziggler or a Neville in the fact that he's not a living and deciding character on screen. He's a performer without any personality who just wrestler who's bookers tell him to.

But now, Owens isn't even on the poll chocies.. What's the idea there ? Are they avoiding something?

They're probably saving that feud for Wrestlemania, it's just that writers are too lazy/incompetent to build two feuds for him for two months in a row

Vestal

Owens would be a marque matchup . Have to save that for PPV and for a decent build.

LycanXIII

Some reports that Tye Dillinger got hurt during a NXT show and they had to do a count out finish and get him to the back.

Reversing a suplex and he lands wrong on his leg. Here is video and it happens near the end.

https://twitter.com/JimmyDeeb/status/693612403402088448

Is WWE serving malk in the performance centre because everyone has brittle bones.

That's a knee problem there. Hyperextension or something similar. I'm actually out of work myself right now because of something similar. Shame, I really like the guy too.

Noone has any motivations in the WWE storylines unless you are Roman Reigns, John Cena, or HHH. Everyone else is interchangeable. What is AJ's motivation for coming to the WWE? Why did he want to face Curtis Axel or Y2J? Noone knows and WWE doesn't give a shit. 50/50 midcard booking awaits him. Here is the poll by the way https://t.co/8jNEqkoioC HHH currently is winning as his next opponent. I voted Brock Lesnar.

MG310

Noone has any motivations in the WWE storylines unless you are Roman Reigns, John Cena, or HHH. Everyone else is interchangeable. What is AJ's motivation for coming to the WWE? Why did he want to face Curtis Axel or Y2J? Noone knows and WWE doesn't give a shit. 50/50 midcard booking awaits him. Here is the poll by the way https://t.co/8jNEqkoioC HHH currently is winning as his next opponent. I voted Brock Lesnar.

Axel wanted to face AJ because he threw him out of the Rumble.

MG310

Was there promo time setting this up? I don't watch Smackdown.

Yeah, Axel/Social Outcasts came out and brought up AJ ruining his full year of being in the Rumble.

Oddly all of the talking portion of the Owens/Ambrose feud took place on Smackdown as well.

orioto

Good Art™
So let's say for now AJ's character is a guy who's everyone want a piece of and he's just there and has free time so he accepts every challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom