• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any chance Sony brings back Factions 2?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The project must have advanced quite far. The issue they faced was long-term support for the game. Why not just cancel any plans for Concord and reassign the Firewalk staff to support it instead? TLOU multiplayer was very fun to play and this could work very well as a live service game. It could also drop shortly before the next season of the show to generate some hype. At this point, Concord is doomed, so why bother with it? Trying to revive it as a F2P will inevitably fail.

I know the answer to the question is very likely a big no. Factions 2 is dead and buried, but I'd much rather see an attempt at reviving that than another ill-fated one at making Concord work.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
92duyi.jpg

Gaiff

I doubt it, considering they cancelled it not that long ago. Those reasons would not have changed.
But here's the reason given:

"As the multiplayer team iterated on their concept for The Last of Us Online during this time, their vision crystalised, the gameplay got more refined and satisfying and we were enthusiastic about the direction in which we were headed."

It's added that as development on the project continued, the "massive scope" of its "ambition became clear".

Naughty Dog reasons: "To release and support The Last of Us Online, we’d have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post-launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games."

Fucking put Firewalk behind it? What is Firewalk going to do? Try to revive Concord as a F2P, only to see it fail gain? Their job was to develop and support a GAAS. Let them finish Factions 2 and support it for years to come while Naughty Dog goes back to making single-player games.

Last edited:

Gaiff

We don't know that.
3.5 years of work and they said this: "As the multiplayer team iterated on their concept for The Last of Us Online during this time, their vision crystalised, the gameplay got more refined and satisfying and we were enthusiastic about the direction in which we were headed."

Clearly, the project was quite far along.

They worked on it for years though. Surely, much of the groundwork has already been laid down. Just get Firewalk to finish it. There's no way they will be starting from scratch when the most important parts are already probably done.

Don’t think much was done. They cut ties because of the amount of effort it was going to take to do it right. So it was still early and not close to being finished to their quality standard

They’d need to get an outside studio to work it, which is possible, but I don’t think TLOU multiplayer as a side GaaS title would be very successful

Last edited:

Gaiff

They’d need to get an outside studio to work it, which is possible, but I don’t think TLOU multiplayer as a side GaaS title would be very successful
Disagree with the last part. Survival games often make a killing on PC and there's nothing on the market approaching the polish and animation quality of ND's stuff. In addition, the sheer brutality and feedback of the combat is almost unequaled. Few games make you feel the way TLOU does when you club someone to death. Too many garbage hero shooters. Lots of survival zombie games too, but none comes even close to the level of TLOU. Plus it has the brand name going for it.

I think it would have been very successful and can still be.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not a joke: tap Firewalk to finish and maintain it.
Your team made the worst AAA bomba of all time.

As a reward, complete and maintain the most hyped gaas out of all the gaas game that sony can do.

dr-who-doctor-who.gif

Can we stop letting untalented activists to always fall upwards? Please and thank you.

Last edited:
I doubt it since Naughty Dog doesn't want to focus on making live as service games at the expense of single player games.
Maybe a different company?

diffusionx

Gold Member
But here's the reason given:

"As the multiplayer team iterated on their concept for The Last of Us Online during this time, their vision crystalised, the gameplay got more refined and satisfying and we were enthusiastic about the direction in which we were headed."

It's added that as development on the project continued, the "massive scope" of its "ambition became clear".

Naughty Dog reasons: "To release and support The Last of Us Online, we’d have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post-launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games."

Fucking put Firewalk behind it? What is Firewalk going to do? Try to revive Concord as a F2P, only to see it fail gain? Their job was to develop and support a GAAS. Let them finish Factions 2 and support it for years to come while Naughty Dog goes back to making single-player games.
Firewalk is going to close down lmao.

simpatico

Gold Member
I don’t think the other studios want that stank anywhere near them. If you’ve ever been a part of a wildly unsuccessful project at work, it takes a while to get that slime off.

What the hell do you guys think the 180 Firewalk employees are doing today at work? I mean that’s a LOT of people to keep busy. Maybe just focusing and wellness and doing counseling sessions.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Firewalk is going to close down lmao.
They just bought them...simply reassign them to something you needed anyway. A Factions 2 GAAS would be way more successful than an attempt at rebooting Concord. They'll take the $200M (or whatever amount it was) L, fire the employees they brought in, and leave this behind them? I don't see it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
They just bought them...simply reassign them to something you needed anyway. A Factions 2 GAAS would be way more successful than an attempt at rebooting Concord. They'll take the $200M L, fire the employees they brought in, and leave this behind them? I don't see it.
They made the biggest bomb in videogames history. You don't get a second chance after that. I don't know why you would want to give the dev that just made the biggest bomb in videogames history a prized IP. Whatever processes, management, policies, and development did to lead to Concord would just be applied to that IP.

They're not going to reboot Concord either. Concord is done, Firewalk is done.

vivftp

Yes.

They would need to find a partner studio to work with to make the game, but it's entirely within the realm of feasibility. ND are no strangers to working with other teams on their IP, they were working with Bend on a new Uncharted up until 2021 and they worked with VASG on TLOU Part 1.

These days, Sony are open to partnering with other companies to expand their IP. Sumo worked on a Sackboy game. Right now NCSoft are working on a Horizon MMORPG. Netease is also working with Bungie on a new Destiny mobile game, but that is a legacy deal pre- acquisition. So if ND would like to keep going on TLOU Online then finding a partner studio would be key.

I do hope that's what eventually happens and they can resume development. I do also find it a bit peculiar that the NCSoft partnership announcement came just about 2 weeks before they announced they were stopping dev on TLOU Online. By that point in time they'd already been working on the Horizon game for 1 or 2 years so I'm unclear why they felt the need to formalize a partnership publicly unless there were more games coming from it. Maybe they could utilize NCSoft to work on TLOU Online, who knows.

vivftp

They made the biggest bomb in videogames history. You don't get a second chance after that. I don't know why you would want to give the dev that just made the biggest bomb in videogames history a prized IP. Whatever processes, management, policies, and development did to lead to Concord would just be applied to that IP.

They're not going to reboot Concord either. Concord is done, Firewalk is done.

You speak in certainties about things that you would have no insight into. None of us have any insight into any of this. Are these possibilities? Sure. Are these certainties? Not at all.

dorkimoe

they should just do what valve is doing with deadlock. release what you have done as F2P for your plus subscribers and let people test it out and play it while taking the feedback to improve the game. fuckin put mtx in it if you have to. Deadlock is huge and its not even an alpha.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Socom was a favorable franchise, it’s going to be another generation of no multiplayer exclusives.

Zathalus

It always struck me as odd that they spent 4 years on this game and then shelved it when they realized it would take all of Naughty Dog to support it. Why not just hand the work over to a third party studio to finish and support it?

But no, Concord and Fairgame$ are what some executives thought looked good.

Last edited:

vivftp

It always struck me as odd that they spent 4 years on this game and then shelved it when they realized it would take all of Naughty Dog to support it. Why not just hand the work over to a third party studio to finish and support it?

But no, Concord and Fairgame$ are what some executives thought looked good.

What you propose is no easy task. Finding the right partner can take a long time and then that partner has to have enough free resources that aren't already dedicated to other games. Then contracts would need to be drawn up, ND and the other studio would have to establish a pipeline, ND would have to dedicate staff to the collab... All manner of things would need to be done, it's no simple task.

Maybe they are working towards that, I hope they are. In the meantime, they made their announcement to let folks know that dev had stopped on the game.

Concord and Fairgame$ existing have absolutely nothing to do with TLOU Online. Why some folks keep trying to push this silly talking point is beyond me.

Zathalus

What you propose is no easy task. Finding the right partner can take a long time and then that partner has to have enough free resources that aren't already dedicated to other games. Then contracts would need to be drawn up, ND and the other studio would have to establish a pipeline, ND would have to dedicate staff to the collab... All manner of things would need to be done, it's no simple task.

Maybe they are working towards that, I hope they are. In the meantime, they made their announcement to let folks know that dev had stopped on the game.

Concord and Fairgame$ existing have absolutely nothing to do with TLOU Online. Why some folks keep trying to push this silly talking point is beyond me.
I agree it won’t be easy, but there are plenty of studios out there that can assist in this matter. With the sheer amount of layoffs happening in the industry even creating a new studio from scratch should not have been some insurmountable obstacle. As for why I bring up Concord and Fairgame$, Sony spent money buying both of those studios, that money could have gone into a studio for supporting Factions for example. Or maybe Factions was a mess and it couldn’t have been saved, but frankly Concord is a disaster that even a mediocre Factions game probably wouldn’t have matched. But to be fair, hindsight is 20/20.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No chance. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of a new multiplayer project from Naughty Dog in a few years.

kaizenkko

Naughty Dog spend 4+ years on this bullshit and nothing good come up of this, I can't barely understand why on earth people want them to keep the development of this title.

Loxus

Solo and 2-4 player co-op missions and survival mode alone would of made this game become top tier.

Solo survival (PvP and PvC) and team death match would of been insanely good with the gameplay mechanics.

Character customizations would be a nice addition.

All this gone over Concord.
Tears man.

vivftp

I agree it won’t be easy, but there are plenty of studios out there that can assist in this matter. With the sheer amount of layoffs happening in the industry even creating a new studio from scratch should not have been some insurmountable obstacle. As for why I bring up Concord and Fairgame$, Sony spent money buying both of those studios, that money could have gone into a studio for supporting Factions for example. Or maybe Factions was a mess and it couldn’t have been saved, but frankly Concord is a disaster that even a mediocre Factions game probably wouldn’t have matched. But to be fair, hindsight is 20/20.

Your argument is flawed in thinking this is an either/or situation. It is not. Sony's got deep pockets and if they had a solution to keep TLOU Online going then they could fund it just fine. The other game and studios you mention are not factors in that decision.

And again, just finding a random studio or spinning up a new studio capable of handling a game on the level of a Naughty Dog is INCREDIBLY HARD and would take a long time to try and arrange! You're massively underselling how difficult this would be. That said, they very well may be trying to do that behind the scenes, we have no idea.

Zathalus

Your argument is flawed in thinking this is an either/or situation. It is not. Sony's got deep pockets and if they had a solution to keep TLOU Online going then they could fund it just fine. The other game and studios you mention are not factors in that decision.

And again, just finding a random studio or spinning up a new studio capable of handling a game on the level of a Naughty Dog is INCREDIBLY HARD and would take a long time to try and arrange! You're massively underselling how difficult this would be. That said, they very well may be trying to do that behind the scenes, we have no idea.
I never said that it was an either/or situation. Just that the decision to not spend money on finding support for Factions while spending money on Concord seems stupid to me. Obviously it’s perfectly possible for Sony to finance both. But maybe they are trying to find support while not publicly announcing it (as you pointed out), or Factions was just not worth the attempt to save.

vivftp

I never said that it was an either/or situation. Just that the decision to not spend money on finding support for Factions while spending money on Concord seems stupid to me. Obviously it’s perfectly possible for Sony to finance both. But maybe they are trying to find support while not publicly announcing it (as you pointed out), or Factions was just not worth the attempt to save.

I'm sorry, you just come across as wanting to shit on Concord. Games don't work out all the time in this industry. SIE has had many games from many studios that didn't work out and got cancelled, both single player and live service. It's the nature of the beast.

You're taking 2 completely separate games from different studios with their own separate budgets and trying hard to formulate some cause and effect fantasy scenario where they scrap Concord and magically that's the lynchpin that lets them continue TLOU Online. That's not the way any of this works. It's a simplistic, ill informed take that I've seen repeated multiple times over the last year. It was wrong then. It's wrong now. It'll be wrong tomorrow.

I mean, that's like complaining that Santa Monica scrapped Stigs game during the PS4 gen so Concrete Genie could live. If only Sony had found another studio to work on that cancelled game instead! Lol, it honestly makes no sense.

Zathalus

I'm sorry, you just come across as wanting to shit on Concord. Games don't work out all the time in this industry. SIE has had many games from many studios that didn't work out and got cancelled, both single player and live service. It's the nature of the beast.

You're taking 2 completely separate games from different studios with their own separate budgets and trying hard to formulate some cause and effect fantasy scenario where they scrap Concord and magically that's the lynchpin that lets them continue TLOU Online. That's not the way any of this works. It's a simplistic, ill informed take that I've seen repeated multiple times over the last year. It was wrong then. It's wrong now. It'll be wrong tomorrow.

I mean, that's like complaining that Santa Monica scrapped Stigs game during the PS4 gen so Concrete Genie could live. If only Sony had found another studio to work on that cancelled game instead! Lol, it honestly makes no sense.
I never said anything you mentioned here. There is no cause and effect between scrapping Concord and allowing TLOU online to continue development. I only pointed out that Sony executives thought Concord looked good but apparently didn’t think TLOU online was worth saving, which seems like a silly decision to me. Although, as I mentioned as well, we don’t know exactly what the full situation is with TLOU online and hindsight is 20/20.

In your hyper aggressive rush to defend Sony you are accusing me of things I have not said or even thought.

vivftp

I never said anything you mentioned here. There is no cause and effect between scrapping Concord and allowing TLOU online to continue development. I only pointed out that Sony executives thought Concord looked good but apparently didn’t think TLOU online was worth saving, which seems like a silly decision to me. Although, as I mentioned as well, we don’t know exactly what the full situation is with TLOU online and hindsight is 20/20.

In your hyper aggressive rush to defend Sony you are accusing me of things I have not said or even thought.

And as I've been pointing out, these are unrelated things. You're trying to link these games simply by comparing them. You also complained that they decided to spend money on one while not spending money on the other. Whether you want to admit it or not, you're complaining that Concord was allowed to live and TLOU Online wasn't. Otherwise why are you even bringing up Concord and Fairgame$ in this thread?

We know precisely why TLOU Online stopped dev, we heard it from the studio. Now whether they are still exploring options or if it's truly dead, we can only guess. Either way, Concord and Fairgame$ have nothing to do with it.

Zathalus

And as I've been pointing out, these are unrelated things. You're trying to link these games simply by comparing them. You also complained that they decided to spend money on one while not spending money on the other. Whether you want to admit it or not, you're complaining that Concord was allowed to live and TLOU Online wasn't. Otherwise why are you even bringing up Concord and Fairgame$ in this thread?

We know precisely why TLOU Online stopped dev, we heard it from the studio. Now whether they are still exploring options or if it's truly dead, we can only guess. Either way, Concord and Fairgame$ have nothing to do with it.
I brought up both because I was critiquing the decision that led to both. TLOU online was cancelled and Concord was apparently impressive enough to buy the studio. My ire is solely aimed at poor decision making and what I perceive to be a waste of time and money.

Alebrije

No chance , but it was a great idea they had all the elements to create a Game like The división. Factions, cities, lore, weapons, etc.

Top Bottom