• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any 'Face To Face' fans here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ristamar

Face To Face is on their final tour before calling it quits. I saw them play last night in Philly. Incredible fucking show, amazing energy, great crowd. It was the first (and perhaps last) time I've watched them play live. It's strange listening to a band for so long (about 10 years for me) and seeing them 'retire.' Kinda depressing... :(

human5892

Queen of Denmark
You'd get along great with my girlfriend -- she loves them. We almost went to that Philly show, actually, but she ultimately decided that she'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

I like their lyrics in a lot of their songs, but I can't really tolerate most of the music itself -- it's entirely too bouncy for me. The exception would be some of the songs on their last studio album, which were more serious-sounding, as well as the few songs written by Trevor Keith, like "Waiting To Be Saved".

Ristamar

Eh, I guess I have a soft spot for straight and honest punk/rock without any glitz or melodrama. A lot of what comprises the supposed 'punk/emo' scene these days just doesn't do it for me (like My Chemical Romance, who played just before Face To Face).

Yeah, Face To Face is great. They're from right over the mountains behind me, in Victorville, I believe. Sadly, I've never seen them live. But their albums are all (mostly) great stuff. I think radio stations like KROQ will be playing "Disconnected" for years to come.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ristamar said:
Eh, I guess I have a soft spot for straight and honest punk/rock without any glitz or melodrama. A lot of what comprises the supposed 'punk/emo' scene these days just doesn't do it for me (like My Chemical Romance, who played just before Face To Face).
Haha...well, I hate the newer punk/emo scene as well, but I also wouldn't call Face To Face "straight and honest" punk rock by any stretch of the imagination; that's bands like The Dead Kennedys, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Bad Religion (going a bit later chronologically, I know, but they were still super-instrumental in the whole scene), etc. Maybe compared to the likes of what flies as "punk" today, Face To Face are "straight and honest" punk rock, but tracing back to what's really the straight stuff, they don't qualify...at least, not musically.

Ristamar

I understand where you're coming from, but I think as far as "90's punk" goes, they're about as straight and honest as you can get, with Fugazi probably being at the top. I tried to get into a lot of the older stuff, but it really doesn't do it for me, save for a few bands like Bad Religion and The Clash.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ristamar said:
I understand where you're coming from, but I think as far as "90's punk" goes, they're about as straight and honest as you can get. I tried to get into a lot of the older stuff, but it really doesn't do it for me, save for a few bands like Bad Religion and The Clash.
I'm with you on that much; as far as 90's bands following the original form, they're not so bad.

I'm pretty keen on a lot of the older stuff, but Bad Religion takes the cake for me, and is actually my favorite band (honestly, nine times out of ten, when I'm listening to music, it's them). So I'm glad to hear you like them. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom