• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else dying for a new Rush game?

I've always loved the (San Francisco) Rush series. Particually the 1st game and 2049. Rush 2 was a little bland in its course design. But the other games have had such awesome level design with really fun and insane short cuts. Plus they fleshed out Rush 2's stunt mode in 2049 and made it an awesome new addition to the series. And lately I've been having cravings for a new Rush game.

Ideally I'd like the new game to go back to the current times as apposed to the futuristic setting of the new most recent game. Plus they really need to do something about the way the cars handle. Rush is almost the equivalent of Resident Evil as far as racing games go (controls wise). Something along the lines of the Burnout game's controls. They control really well and would suit a new Rush game. Other then that I can't think of many other ways they could improve it besides the obvious inclusion of online head to head.

I also wouldn't mind getting a compilation of all the games with the graphics at least as good as their arcade counterparts. It's really hard going back to the blurry messes on N64. Rush 2049 is still pretty nice looking though.

The way the Burnout series is heading its getting closer to the Rush games in a few ways such as adding jumps and the new way of controlling your crash is slighly reminiscent of Rush 2049s stunt mode. But I don't want Burnout turning into Rush. I want a new Rush game!

Oh yeah. Wasn't there supposed to be a double pack of Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder to be released on Xbox or something? I wouldn't mind that but Rush 1's tracks are so awesome I need to play them again.

Troidal

I've been wanting a new Rush game for so long, but Burnout has been a spiritual succesor to a certain extent. Especially with Burnout 3, its getting closer to what Rush was.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a newly revamped San Francisco Rush this gen. Me want!

Oh Burnout is definately my favourite arcade racing series now. Great games. But I want to soar high over buildings and take insane shortcuts in a new Rush game. And that stunt mode was soooo good. It was so fun just trying to find out how to collect all the coins throughout the maps. I got all of them but one that was really really high up on one particualr stage. It was seemingly impossible!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I loved Rush 1, I just wish there was a console version that didn't suck. I never played Rush 2049 because the futuristic thing put me off. But yeah, I'd love a new one that is more like the original.

spangler

Does anyone know any of the specifics related to the Rush 2049/Hydro Thunder ps2 comp. that ebgames has listed? I know the existence of the thing is old news, but I haven't heard any updates as to which version (arcade or dreamcast port) of the games is on the disc.

AirBrian

Yeah, a Rush game would be nice. Also, I always liked the Cruisin' series -- they should pump one of those out.

Ranger X

Damn, i want a perfect arcade conversion of the original Cruisn' USA and new Rush...
Rush 2 on the N64 was great, we should have a third on the PS2 or GC (or Xbox).

Matlock

Banned
Suerte said:
Rush Live = *orgasm*

B0000C0FJB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

SF Rush:2049 for the Dreamcast is one of the best racers I've ever played. An amazing racing mode as well as a stunt & battle mode that are excellent games in their own right - who could ask for more?

I so wish a SF Rush would come out for the XBox w/ XBox Live support. That would make me so happy. :)

Rush 1 is class. I loved it back in the arcade with the big ass green rumbling chair. I bought the N64 version and had no gripes with either. Loved trying to find the shortcuts. The 4th course on the N64 version (can't remember for arcade) had some classic shortcuts. And the second course where you could get to that big red half pipe if you kept going down the motorway.

I'd love to see what they could do with a new version. I agree it should keep to the current setting rather than the future style.

GigaDrive

Banned
I didn't care for SF Rush when it first came out but lately I've been playing 2049 on Dreamcast and the original on N64.

didn anyone get a chance to play the PC port of SF Rush / The Rock, which only worked on like 1 specific 3Dfx Banshee card by Quantum 3D?

I want ports of all three games on Xbox with Xbox Live play

gururoji

Wow, I've posted in threads just like this one before, and I'd never seen the prevalence of people hating on the futuristic thing in 2049 before. That really surprises me. I'm not too picky about what kind of era a new Rush game would be set in (see Hot Rod Rebels, the nearly-finished arcade Rush successor that never made it out because Midway's arcade division went bankrupt), but I would really hope that gameplay features from 2049 were in it.

To me, Rush 1 and 2 were fun, and then Rush 2049 was a huuuuuuuge step up in every way. Yeah, the way Rush controls is unique and a bit weird, but I wouldn't really want it to be changed--that's part of what I like about it. It's difficult to master, but I think it conveys how difficult it is to turn a car when it's driving very very fast better than some other games. And I think the wings element of the control scheme is totally great and unique, as is the stunt mode that was based on it, so I'm afraid if a new Rush weren't futuristic that I'd have to go back to the "good idea, but this really sucks" feeling of Rush 2's stunt mode.

I'm also afraid that because the original team that did the 2049 home versions is now scattered, that some aspect that I love so much (for example, the coin collecting--I've collected every coin in the game 5 times over) would not make it into the new game. It seems to me like there's people out there like me who think that 2049 was practically perfect, but that in the grand scheme of things, it's probably a pretty small cult following.

Plus, to get back to my raving, the battle mode is the best car combat I've ever played. Of course, that is totally subjective and many will disagree, but I've loved Mario Kart and I've loved Twisted Metal and I think the Rush 2049 battle mode is better than both of the other games' respective battle modes to this day. I'll never forget when Next Generation Magazine called the battle mode "beautifully balanced" and I thought to myself 'yeah, right, a beautifully balanced Rush battle mode'--I was sceptical, but they were damn right. It may seem weird at first to many who play it, but I've played it countless times over the last several years in 2, 3, and 4 player matches that were both amazingly deep and riotously fun.

So yeah, sorry if people have seen me go on this rant before, but all of this is just to say "I'm a Rush 2049 freak and yes, I am dying to see a new Rush." Burnout is great but it will never replace Rush to me...at least not until they add collectible coins, crazy shortcuts/explorable courses, stunt and battle modes, and The Gauntlet.

Suerte

gururoji said:
Wow, I've posted in threads just like this one before, and I'd never seen the prevalence of people hating on the futuristic thing in 2049 before. That really surprises me. I'm not too picky about what kind of era a new Rush game would be set in (see Hot Rod Rebels, the nearly-finished arcade Rush successor that never made it out because Midway's arcade division went bankrupt), but I would really hope that gameplay features from 2049 were in it.

To me, Rush 1 and 2 were fun, and then Rush 2049 was a huuuuuuuge step up in every way. Yeah, the way Rush controls is unique and a bit weird, but I wouldn't really want it to be changed--that's part of what I like about it. It's difficult to master, but I think it conveys how difficult it is to turn a car when it's driving very very fast better than some other games. And I think the wings element of the control scheme is totally great and unique, as is the stunt mode that was based on it, so I'm afraid if a new Rush weren't futuristic that I'd have to go back to the "good idea, but this really sucks" feeling of Rush 2's stunt mode.

I'm also afraid that because the original team that did the 2049 home versions is now scattered, that some aspect that I love so much (for example, the coin collecting--I've collected every coin in the game 5 times over) would not make it into the new game. It seems to me like there's people out there like me who think that 2049 was practically perfect, but that in the grand scheme of things, it's probably a pretty small cult following.

Plus, to get back to my raving, the battle mode is the best car combat I've ever played. Of course, that is totally subjective and many will disagree, but I've loved Mario Kart and I've loved Twisted Metal and I think the Rush 2049 battle mode is better than both of the other games' respective battle modes to this day. I'll never forget when Next Generation Magazine called the battle mode "beautifully balanced" and I thought to myself 'yeah, right, a beautifully balanced Rush battle mode'--I was sceptical, but they were damn right. It may seem weird at first to many who play it, but I've played it countless times over the last several years in 2, 3, and 4 player matches that were both amazingly deep and riotously fun.

So yeah, sorry if people have seen me go on this rant before, but all of this is just to say "I'm a Rush 2049 freak and yes, I am dying to see a new Rush." Burnout is great but it will never replace Rush to me...at least not until they add collectible coins, crazy shortcuts/explorable courses, stunt and battle modes, and The Gauntlet.

Awesome post :)

I would like to see another rush game come out....I had mastered the Extreme track 5 in 2049...My time was pretty tough to beat at the arcade and then they brought out the special edition with the extra 2 tracks that was cool....

FightyF

Banned
I'm still looking for 2049 for the DC. I made the mistake of waiting until the price dropped, but now I can't find it anymore. Thinking about it now, it would have been worth the full price.

I agree, a new one should be made with online play. gururoji summed up what I felt about the play, and the learning curve.

gururoji

Thanks for the positive responses.

sf2fanatic--are you talking about the Tournament Edition? Have you ever played it? I really want to play that someday, but I think there's only this one arcade in California that has it any more.

Yeah I have played it...I seen it at Dave N Busters in Ontario and i have also seen at Vista Entertainment Center In Vista...The 2 tournament tracks are alot harder but theres shortcuts in there to have a faster time....theres even more cars to choose from.....

Top Bottom