• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hoping the NHL DOESN'T reach an agreement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Granted, I don't know a lot about hockey, but I know basketball is huge all over the globe. And baseball is huge here, in many latin american countries, and in japan and korea. And it must be at least semi-popular in canada. I can only hope for a true world series someday....<<<

... because we all know there are no Latin American or Japanese players in MLB...

Gregory

Banned
Socreges said:
Yes way. Definitely baseball. Probably basketball. Basketball might be played more recreationally, though, because it's far more accessible.

True, more people are most likely playing it, but hardly anyone follows the sport. I think handball is more popular than basketball in Europe actually.

Seth C

Gregory said:
lol, atleast certainly baseball. How many europeans do you see playing in the 3 other leagues compared to NHL?

And do they even play world championships/world cups in basketball? If so I havent even heard of it.

Basketball has multiple major and minor leagues in almost every industrialized nation. It is played recreationally around the world. in all types of climate. The basketball world championship is played as a part of the Olympics.

Seth C

Gregory said:
True, more people are most likely playing it, but hardly anyone follows the sport. I think handball is more popular than basketball in Europe actually.

College basketball players can go to Germany, Turkey, Australia, and dozens of other countries and make $100,000-200,000 a year playing their sport. I'd say that speaks for its popularity.

Gregory

Banned
Seth C said:
College basketball players can go to Germany, Turkey, Australia, and dozens of other countries and make $100,000-200,000 a year playing their sport. I'd say that speaks for its popularity.

So? It`s not like you can`t do that in hockey.

Seth C

Gregory said:
So? It`s not like you can`t do that in hockey.

Eurobasket.com tracks 243 basketball leagues from 146 countries. Do you really think hockey can claim to have organized leagues in 146 nations? Please man.

Kon Tiki

Banned
soulja224466 said:
Granted, I don't know a lot about hockey, but I know basketball is huge all over the globe. And baseball is huge here, in many latin american countries, and in japan and korea. And it must be at least semi-popular in canada. I can only hope for a true world series someday....

If there is one feature I do not like/get in Baseball, it is International play. Aside from the olympics, are there any international tournaments? Take a look at football, you have so many tournaments, from the World Cup to Euros to the Confederation Cup, mixed in with interleague play. That is something missing from baseball, eactually all the big 3 sports in America.
Hockey has a few international tournaments, a good number concidering how many nations play the sport. I would like to see some international tournaments in baseball, baskestball, and American football. Why is there not a true world series? Why doesn't the NFL have a tournament againt NFL Europe?

dem

Oleg Tverdovsky, whos not even that good, is making 2.5 million playing hockey in Russia. I'm curious.. is there any basketball league outside of the NBA paying that kind of money?

Seth C

Sport
2002 Estimates of Participants Worldwide
Number of Affiliated National Federations

Volleyball
998 Million

Basketball
400 Million

Table Tennis
300 Million

Soccer
242 Million

Badminton
200 Million

Tennis
60 Million

Baseball
60 Million

Dragon Boat Racing
50 Million

Team Handball
18 Million

Hockey
3 million

Judo
2.5 Million

Rugby
2 Million

There. Hopefully that will end this silly argument. Hocket is not even close in worldwide popularity compared to baseball, basketball, tennis, or volleyball.

dem

Seth C said:
There. Hopefully that will end this silly argument. Hocket is not even close in worldwide popularity compared to baseball, basketball, tennis, or volleyball.

Would anyone even argue that? It costs a shitload to play hockey....

Gregory

Banned
Seth C said:
Eurobasket.com tracks 243 basketball leagues from 146 countries. Do you really think hockey can claim to have organized leagues in 146 nations? Please man.

No, but Basketball is propably, at best, the 3rd or 4th most popular sport in any of those countries, while hockey is in many countries atleast second.

I`m sure there are more indoor-bandy(hockey) leagues than icehockey leagues, or indoor-volleyball for that matter, but the media and people in general doesn`t follow the sport much.

Seth C

dem said:
Oleg Tverdovsky, whos not even that good, is making 2.5 million playing hockey in Russia. I'm curious.. is there any basketball league outside of the NBA paying that kind of money?

I'll admit hockey is popular in Russia. It's not at all surprising that it is. But the argument involved total worldwide popularity. Basketball is more popular in more places than hockey is. How many Africans care about hockey? South Americans? Indians? Probably close to zero.

Seth C

dem said:
Would anyone even argue that? It costs a shitload to play hockey....

Multiple people in this thread. Did you read their posts, or just the ones I made arguing against them? :p

Seth C

dem said:
You brought up the dollar figures... not me.

I was simply bringing it up to make a point that people could make a fantastic living playing basketball in many, many countries. I wasn't arguing they made more than hockey players IN RUSSIA. :)

dem

The figures you provided were for total PARTICIPANTS in a sport. No one was questioning that... atleast not that I can see. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

dem

Seth C said:
I was simply bringing it up to make a point that people could make a fantastic living playing basketball in many, many countries. I wasn't arguing they made more than hockey players IN RUSSIA. :)

You can make a living playing hockey in plenty of countries too. Switzerland/Sweden/Finland/Germany/etc. I find it hard to believe you'll make any kind of decent living playing basketball in Africa... no matter how many people play it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hockey is nothing compared to basketball. And it's watched by less people worldwide than baseball.

Seth C

dem said:
The figures you provided were for total PARTICIPANTS in a sport. No one was questioning that... atleast not that I can see. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

Then consider the number of organized leagues, or the number of countries with affiliated national federations. The argument was popularity. The desire to play a game (number of participants) is certainly an (1) indicator of this. I'm sure there are others. When arguing the worldwide popularity of something, however, I do think the number of countries having organized leagues is a very valid measure. We could argue worlwide revenue of the sports, if you'd like? Keep in mind that the NHL can't even make money here in North America, much less worldwide.

dem

Hey.. basketball probably is more popular than... I never said it wasnt. Your arguements just suck.

Basketball is popular in tons of poor countries where people can barely afford a ball.

dem

So is hockey.. whats your point?

Anyone with a brain can see why basketball would be more popular. Its the same reason soccer is the most popular game in the world. It costs shit to play.

Gregory

Banned
Seth C said:

They can also make pretty big figures in Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Czech republic among others.

Seth C

dem said:
You can make a living playing hockey in plenty of countries too. Switzerland/Sweden/Finland/Germany/etc. I find it hard to believe you'll make any kind of decent living playing basketball in Africa... no matter how many people play it.

No one makes money in Africa...haha. At least there are basketball leagues there, though. People are playing. How about hockey?

Seth C

dem said:

Anyone with a brain can see why basketball would be more popular. Its the same reason soccer is the most popular game in the world. It costs shit to play.

I'm not arguing WHY it is, I'm arguing that IT IS. Don't bring this to me. Tell it to the people claiming hockey was more popular worldwide than basketball or baseball.

dem

Seth C said:
No one makes money in Africa...haha. At least there are basketball leagues there, though. People are playing. How about hockey?

Again.. I never said hockey was more popular than Basketball. Why youre bringing this arguement to me I have no idea.

soulja224466 said:
Hockeys more popular than baseball and basketball worldwide? No way...

I disagree. Basketball is in a lot more countries (broadcast) than hockey.

Hockey will never be as popular as basketball, football, baseball, because it's a wealthy man's game. You don't see many minorities engaging in hockey, and it'll be a long time before you do. Until that point, its popularity will always fall below the aforementioned, simple as that.

Willco

Hollywood Square
dem said:

What's MY point? You're the one going off on some dumb statement about basketball being popular in countries where people can't afford a ball. If this is what hockey has for fans, no wonder the NHL is on the verge of collapse.

Seth C

dem said:
Again.. I never said hockey was more popular than Basketball. Why youre bringing this arguement to me I have no idea.

You involved yourself in this argument, not me. Your own confusion as to why I mentioned dollar amounts.

dem

Willco said:
What's MY point? You're the one going off on some dumb statement about basketball being popular in countries where people can't afford a ball. If this is what hockey has for fans, no wonder the NHL is on the verge of collapse.

MY point was ofcourse basketball is more popular... IT COSTS NOTHING TO PLAY. YOU CANT PLAY HOCKEY IN AFRICA.

You had to try and counter me by saying its popular in other places.. like I dont know this? Are you fucking retarded? I NEVER SAID HOCKEY WAS MORE POPULAR.

Kon Tiki

Banned
The reason why the number of participants in hockey is low, is that it is a very demanding sport, not many people are physically fit enough to play the game.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Society said:
The reason why the number of participants in hockey is low, is that it is a very demanding sport, not many people are physically fit enough to play the game.

All professional sports are physically demanding. That's a bullshit excuse.

Society said:

Yes, it's demanding physically (although not anymore than basketball or football imo), but it's more demanding on the wallet.

Kon Tiki

Banned
JeffDowns said:
Yes, it's demanding physically (although not anymore than basketball or football imo), but it's more demanding on the wallet.

HA! Basketball is as physically demanding as hockey?

This thread is begging for a GAF hockey tryout/tournament.

Socreges

Banned
The ambiguity of what constitutes popular makes this thread kind of ridiculous. I mentioned how basketball is played more recreationally and is more accessible. I can go into my backyard right now, shoot some hoops, and I'm immediately a participant. I play hockey practically never and yet I prefer it far more. Huh...

There are many countries where hockey is either the number one or two sport. Basketball, however, pales in this respect. Still, it is much more affluent. It's relatively difficult naming countries where it isn't played. But it often remains a relegate sport for the most part. For instance, my friend from Scotland has been staying with us. He's never played hockey before, but would get together occasionaly to play basketball with friends. Still, he watched the NHL Finals over the NBA Finals, saying that it's a more entertaining game.

Now that I've considered more remote places, I'll relinquish that basketball is more popular worldwide. But considering that where hockey can possibly be played, it is very popular, despite how inaccessible it still is, it is not an easy sell.

Seth C said:
Basketball and soccer are the sports competing for worldwide popularity. Jordan is like a god in China, population 1,000,000,000+.
Competing.... as in... Shaq vs Zidane for penalty kicks. Soccer is far, far, far more popular worldwide.

Also, hockey is certainly more physically demanding than basketball. Anyone who says otherwise has not played both sports properly.

dem

Seth C said:
You involved yourself in this argument, not me. Your own confusion as to why I mentioned dollar amounts.
Why did you mention dollar amount? Wait a second... here it is.

So by your own stupid logic... Hockey is more popular. Theres plenty of countries who pay 10 times that much for hockey players.

Society said:
HA! Basketball is as physically demanding as hockey?

This thread is begging for a GAF hockey tryout/tournament.

I mean, there's not that big of a threshold between how demanding it is, you're still a "professional" you get paid for what you do, and you're pressured to win. The only people that can truly gauge how "demanding" one is over the other are those who have played both sports professionally. NBA & NHL. And that will most likely never happen. Regardless, the amount of money it costs to get into the sport is a bigger reason of why more people don't participate in my opinion.. I'm sure there are many athletes out there that would excel at hockey if they had a chance or an oppurtunity to do so, yet they never will.

Getting back to the original post for a moment...I like hockey. I follow the local ECHL team and it's a lot of fun going to their games. However, hockey is a terrible television sport, and the NHL is a poorly-run league with too many teams and too long of a season. I'm hoping the NHL does fuck up and go out of business, or at least contract some teams and look at radically different ways of running things.

Seth C

dem said:
Why did you mention dollar amount? Wait a second... here it is.

So by your own stupid logic... Hockey is more popular. Theres plenty of countries who pay 10 times that much for hockey players.

That figure is a starting salary point in those countries. :p And here in the US players make, what, 100x that? I was JUST using it to say, "Hey, here's an example of basketball's popularity. People pay good money to watch other people play it in dozens of countries." Do people get paid more in Russia to play hockey than basketball? I'm sure. Basketball players make more here though, by far. I'd say the same is true in Turkey, Brazil, Australia. Hell, Canadian basketball players make more than hockey players. Haha...how sad is that?

Kon Tiki

Banned
JeffDowns said:
I mean, there's not that big of a threshold between how demanding it is, you're still a "professional" you get paid for what you do, and you're pressured to win. The only people that can truly gauge how "demanding" one is over the other are those who have played both sports professionally. NBA & NHL. And that will most likely never happen. Regardless, the amount of money it costs to get into the sport is a bigger reason of why more people don't participate in my opinion.. I'm sure there are many athletes out there that would excel at hockey if they had a chance or an oppurtunity to do so, yet they never will.

Well I can tell that you have never played hockey, so why are you commenting?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Gregory said:
Really? Who the hell outside USA, Japan and Cuba watches baseball? That`s right, nobody.

Apparently, you're stupid! You fail to include South America, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Domincan Republic, etc. It's growing internationally, but the fact remains it still garners more international television shares than hockey. If you don't believe me, pick up a copy of Sports Illustrated dated June 14th. You'll find an article on the globalization of sports by L. Jon Wertheim with a nice graphic on international television ratings broken down by sport.

Not that baseball will dethrone soccer or basketball as popular international sports, but it certainly is watched by more people than hockey is.

dem

Seth C said:
That figure is a starting salary point in those countries. :p And here in the US players make, what, 100x that? :p

What does that have to do with anything? This wasnt about how much theyre making in the US.

Boomer

Damn, didn't expect so many hard feelings. Now I have a freakin paragraph under my name. What happened to the simple 2-3 word tag?

I think you guys can put to rest the argument of which sport is more popular worldwide. Everyone that said hockey was more popular worldwide than baseball and basketball were owned by Seth C.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Boomer said:
Damn, didn't expect so many hard feelings. Now I have a freakin paragraph under my name. What happened to the simple 2-3 word tag?

I think you guys can put to rest the argument of which sport is more popular worldwide. Everyone that said hockey was more popular worldwide than baseball and basketball were owned by Seth C.

I don't get why people of all sports can't get together and agree that the Poker World Series is truly the sport we should be fighting against.

Seth C

dem said:
What does that have to do with anything? This wasnt about how much theyre making in the US.

You're the one who seemingly wanted to argue more money = better, in your 2.5 million Russia argument. I'm going with the flow here. I originally only brought up money on a basic level, as in, they are able to make a healthy living playing the game. It wasn't about exact dollar amounts. You took it in that direction.

Seth C

Willco said:
I don't get why people of all sports can't get together and agree that the Poker World Series is truly the sport we should be fighting against.

But, the World Series of Poker kicks ass....

(I don't consider it a sport though, but that's another issue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom