• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hoping the NHL DOESN'T reach an agreement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Seth C said:
You're the one who seemingly wanted to argue more money = better, in your 2.5 million Russia argument. I'm going with the flow here. I originally only brought up money on a basic level, as in, they are able to make a healthy living playing the game. It wasn't about exact dollar amounts. You took it in that direction.

I still think you can make more money in more places playing Hockey. Hell.. I think more people are paying to see hockey live than people are paying to see basketball outside of the US.

dem

Just as an example

Is there anyone paying to get into a Chinese Basketball league game? I really have no idea and Im speaking out of my ass, but I cant imagine people are going to see these hundreds of basketball leagues live.

Seth C

dem said:
Just as an example

Is there anyone paying to get into a Chinese Basketball league game? I really have no idea and Im speaking out of my ass, but I cant imagine people are going to see these hundreds of basketball leagues live.

I'd say there are quite a few. I doubt there would be players from the US (former college and NBA) going all the way to China to play in their 14 team CBA if it wasn't paying them, and they wouldn't be able to pay US players without fans coming out and paying to see the games. The Chinese professional leagues have 28 foreign players, including 24 from the US. Aside from their main league (The CBA) they also have Division II and III teams, as well as the Chinese National Team.

dem

Seth C said:
I'd say there are quite a few. I doubt there would be players from the US (former college and NBA) going all the way to China to play in their 14 team CBA if it wasn't paying them, and they wouldn't be able to pay US players without fans coming out and paying to see the games. The Chinese professional leagues have 28 foreign players, including 24 from the US. Aside from their main league (The CBA) they also have Division II and III teams, as well as the Chinese National Team.

Now... would China be the #2 place for basketball in the world?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
dem said:
Just as an example

Believe it or not, lots of people do. How do you think they all knew about Yao Ming before he came over to the NBA?

The same is true of baseball. Japan is a striking example of this, with major leagues with storied histories and their own legends just like we have in America, but it's also true of Latin American semiprofessional leagues.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nerevar said:
Believe it or not, lots of people do. How do you think they all knew about Yao Ming before he came over to the NBA?

The same is true of baseball. Japan is a striking example of this, with major leagues with storied histories and their own legends just like we have in America, but it's also true of Latin American semiprofessional leagues.

Yet, no international tournaments! Is it so hard to put together a goddamn (actual) World Series of baseball?

Nerevar

Society said:
Yet, no international tournaments! Is it so hard to put together a goddamn (actual) World Series of baseball?

yes, it is. How many other team sports besides soccer truly have an "international" competition? Rugby? In case you haven't noticed, none of the new-world sports have truly international competitions.

That would so great to finally see. I think it would be very competitive as well....i know japan and cuba have both beaten a few of our MLB teams.

Nerevar

soulja224466 said:
That would so great to finally see. I think it would be very competitive as well....i know japan and cuba have both beaten a few of our MLB teams.

I don't know about Japan, but the only Cuban teams that have beaten ours in the past 50 years are the olympic teams, where the Cuban all-star team plays our college all-star team. Not much of a competition.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Nerevar said:
I don't know about Japan, but the only Cuban teams that have beaten ours in the past 50 years are the olympic teams, where the Cuban all-star team plays our college all-star team. Not much of a competition.

The US Olympic team is a joke. If we had any of our real stars play, it'd be a no contest.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Society said:
HA! Basketball is as physically demanding as hockey?

This thread is begging for a GAF hockey tryout/tournament.
Basketball is a hell of an athletic sport, where even the occasional chubster like Derrick Coleman or Charles Barkley is still in great condition. Sure there's standing around and whatnot in certain defensive/offensive schemes, but they're still top-notch athletes. Hockey players, however, play the most physically demanding team sport on the planet. On the ice, skate hard no matter what position you play for a minute and a half, then hop on the bench to to rest momentarily and then go do it again. You can't have the same guys on the playing surface for the entire game like you see in basketball, baseball and football because it's physically impossible.

As much as I enjoy winding up baseball fans about the standing around and excess of fatass players, you can't argue that you'll see any David Wells-style tubbies in hockey - the level of fitness you need to make it professionally precludes the participation of him and his ilk.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nerevar said:
yes, it is. How many other team sports besides soccer truly have an "international" competition? Rugby? In case you haven't noticed, none of the new-world sports have truly international competitions.

There is a World Cup for Rugby. There are a few international teams as well, even America is represented.

Hockey, the focus of this thread. :p, Cricket, Rugby. See my point? American sports do not focus on international play. Sports that are not popular in America, do foucs on international play.

Seth C

dem said:
Now... would China be the #2 place for basketball in the world?

I doubt it. #2, if you don't count Canada, is probably somewhere in Europe.

Albania, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Macedonia, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom all have multiple leagues with their own playoffs and championships. Most of these leagues include players from the USA as well.

Russia has Superleague A and Superleague B, as well as a 27 team Higher League and over two dozen lower leagues. They also compete in Europe's Champions Cup. Their teams include players from over 26 different countries outside of Russia. This includes 19 players from the USA.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
On a related note, I can't understand how any could argue against basketball and soccer's dominance worldwide.

calder

Nerevar said:

Hockey is a 'new-world sport' and it's had yearly international competitions for decades. It's also had best-on-best tournaments (where all nations have their best players available) regularly for over 30 years.

Kon Tiki

Banned
calder said:
Hockey is a 'new-world sport' and it's had yearly international competitions for decades. It's also had best-on-best tournaments (where all nations have their best players available) regularly for over 30 years.

I would love to see something like the Red Army VS. games now. :)

Nerevar

calder said:

Really? Uhmm, I'm not a HUGE hockey fan, but I follow the NHL, and I haven't even heard of this. Do you mean olympic hockey? Or is this just inter-Europe. Because frankly, I don't consider that to be any different from the NHL having teams from the US and Canada constantly playing eachother. I mean a truly "internationl" competition, like the Stanley Cup for all of the world. That doesn't exist, as far as I know.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Nerevar, what are you, high?

Hockey has had world tournaments featuring the absolute best players on the planet - many of which are in the NHL - for ages. You don't consider that truly international?

Where's my goddamn rolleyes?

bishoptl said:
Basketball is a hell of an athletic sport, where even the occasional chubster like Derrick Coleman or Charles Barkley is still in great condition. Sure there's standing around and whatnot in certain defensive/offensive schemes, but they're still top-notch athletes. Hockey players, however, play the most physically demanding team sport on the planet. On the ice, skate hard no matter what position you play for a minute and a half, then hop on the bench to to rest momentarily and then go do it again. You can't have the same guys on the playing surface for the entire game like you see in basketball, baseball and football because it's physically impossible.

As much as I enjoy winding up baseball fans about the standing around and excess of fatass players, you can't argue that you'll see any David Wells-style tubbies in hockey - the level of fitness you need to make it professionally precludes the participation of him and his ilk.

David wells isn't that bad. Also, can you name any other "tubbies" besides wells?

Nerevar said:
Really? Uhmm, I'm not a HUGE hockey fan, but I follow the NHL, and I haven't even heard of this. Do you mean olympic hockey? Or is this just inter-Europe. Because frankly, I don't consider that to be any different from the NHL having teams from the US and Canada constantly playing eachother. I mean a truly "internationl" competition, like the Stanley Cup for all of the world. That doesn't exist, as far as I know.

World Cup of Hockey?

World Junior Championships?

Olympics?

Gregory

Banned
There are world championships in hockey every year, for 3 seperate divisions. World Cup (former Canada Cup) every 4th year, and Olympics...

Nerevar

bah, I give up. Apparently I'm not a big enough hockey fan.

like I said, besides the olympics, I'd never even heard about this other stuff. I guess the only thing I missed was the "world cup of hockey"

Society said:
Well I can tell that you have never played hockey, so why are you commenting?

Have you ever played either professionally? NHL, or NBA? Um no, don't think so. My comments are just as warranted as yours. That's why I'm commenting. If I abided by your reasoning, then we all should just STFU.

Malakhov

Banned
Hockey is more popular worldwide than Baseball and Basketball and Football for sure. I think only Soccer is more popular than hockey.

Hockey is HUGE in Europe, from russia to the smallest countries/towns you can find on a map.

And like many people said, there's less people that plays the sport now because it's not accessible to everyone because of money and other factors.

A good example of this is what is going down here in Quebec. There is more people playing Soccer than Hockey right now at this very moment in Quebec but yet, Hockey is still way more popular here than Soccer and it will always remain that way.

Socreges

Banned
http://www.wch2004.com/ Aug 30 - Sept 14

The World Cup is going to be an amazing tournament. Although, I might be biased considering what a great team Canada has assembled. But every team with ONE exception (Germany) has a good chance of winning. Even Slovakia, who hasn't done very well in international play, is a nation to be reckoned with now, I figure.

I think everyone who is arguing against hockey, for whatever reason, should check it out. Canada and the USA open against each other on the 31st. Can't wait for that.

calder

Heh, my big question for the WC is who'll suck more, Russia or the US? I think they'll both shit the bed - sure one (or both) might finish in the top 4 but both countries should be able to challenge for the gold no matter what, and when you look at their rosters... yikes. Unless Team USA's forwards are in top form they could really struggle.

Socreges

Banned
Stated otherwise? I can state that you rape small children, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

That said, I would say basketball is more popular. But certainly not baseball.

Socreges

Banned
calder said:
Heh, my big question for the WC is who'll suck more, Russia or the US? I think they'll both shit the bed - sure one (or both) might finish in the top 4 but both countries should be able to challenge for the gold no matter what, and when you look at their rosters... yikes. Unless Team USA's forwards are in top form they could really struggle.
They've bet the farm on age and experience (not that they had much choice). It could really go either way.

Malakhov

Banned
It's not been stated ortherwise, you guys are talking about how many people and how many leagues exists of one sport, that has NOTHING to do with a sport's popularity. That's just availability.

Sorry but put an hockey headline in all of Europe and it will create way more interest than a Baseball and Basketball headline.

Just look at an Hockey draft and you know how much it's of an impact sport in Europe. They have so many BIG leagues over there it's not even funny.

Insertia

Hockey isn't too bad. I thought it sucked also, but after seeing the Lighting kick the Flames ass, I'm convinced that it's a decent sport. Although, I don't think I could watch it if it doesn't have any play-off hype surrounding it.

Baseball on the other hand just sucks.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Socreges said:
Stated otherwise? I can state that you rape small children, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

That said, I would say basketball is more popular. But certainly not baseball.

You're wrong, though. Let me post what SethC has already posted:

Sport
2002 Estimates of Participants Worldwide
Number of Affiliated National Federations

Volleyball
998 Million

Basketball
400 Million

Table Tennis
300 Million

Soccer
242 Million

Badminton
200 Million

Tennis
60 Million

Baseball
60 Million

Dragon Boat Racing
50 Million

Team Handball
18 Million

Hockey
3 million

Judo
2.5 Million

Rugby
2 Million

And if you still don't believe me, go grab a copy of Sports Illustrated dated June 14th, 2004 and find an article on the globalization of sports by L. Jon Wertheim with a nice graphic on international television ratings broken down by sport. Hockey is clearly behind baseball.

Malakhov

Banned
Well I have no sympathy for Russia at all, they wanted to keep that old coot Tikhonov in the organisation well they'll pay for it.

Khabibulin finally got his sweet revenge over Tikhonov 12 years later :)

Willco

Hollywood Square
Malakhov, I really don't care if hockey is big in Europe. Is hockey bigger in Europe than baseball? Yes. Is hockey bigger worldwide than baseball? No.

Europe does not equal worldwide.

Malakhov

Banned
Like I said:

It's not been stated ortherwise, you guys are talking about how many people and how many leagues exists of one sport, that has NOTHING to do with a sport's popularity. That's just availability.

Willco

Hollywood Square
AND LIKE I SAID, television ratings HAVE EVERYTHING TO DO WITH POPULARITY and baseball has higher ratings than hockey worldwide.

I mean, where are all these closet hockey fans who don't play hockey and don't watch hockey?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
soulja224466 said:
David wells isn't that bad.
In his forthcoming biography, pitcher David Wells admits that he was "half-drunk, and had a raging, skull-rattling hangover" when he pitched his perfect game against Minnesota in 1998. He was partying till 5:00 in the morning, and was scheduled to pitch at 1:00 pm.
Also, can you name any other "tubbies" besides wells?
Mo "My Leg Is Made Of Butter" Vaughn
Kirby "Where's My Chicken" Puckett
Smokey "JUMP INTO MY BELLY" Burgess
Babe "Beers 'n Whores" Ruth
Yogi "WTF" Berra

And that's just off the top of my head. I could always Google some more if you need 'em. Funnily enough, these guys all excelled in their sport at one time or another during their careers. Perhaps packing on the pounds is key to being a top baseball guy. :D

And they're getting fatter!

Malakhov

Banned
You may be right about the ratings but I haven't seen the numbers.

It's a pretty moot thing to argue on anyways. To you your baseball?/basketball? will always be more important to you and to me, my hockey will always be more important to me so in the end it's all good :)

Willco

Hollywood Square
To be a truly great player, you have to be in great physical shape. The Babe was no A-Rod, but he wasn't all flab.

Pitchers are very different than position players, though. They can be overweight because since they don't field or bat (in the AL), they just need to work on their pitching selection and control.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Malakhov said:
You may be right about the ratings but I haven't seen the numbers.

It's a pretty moot thing to argue on anyways. To you your baseball?/basketball? will always be more important to you and to me, my hockey will always be more important to me so in the end it's all good :)

Actually, I like hockey. The Caps just suck the fun out of it. I can't stand baseball fans that believe it's the American pasttime either. That's football.

Nerevar

bishoptl said:

Ok, no offense, but that is the worst site I have ever seen. They calculate BMI solely by height and weight. Sammy Sosa is hardly fat, nor is Alex Rodriguez. Guys like ARod, Jeter, and others in their range could compete atheletically with jus about anyone in any sport. I can't argue David Wells (the guy is a drunk). And you forget the worst example of baseball fatties - Cecil Fielder.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I think the David Wells jokes are kind of stupid myself. The guy is not that fat, and if you're going to mock overweight pitchers, it'd be funnier to target such mediocre and highly-paid pitchers are Bartolo Colon and Sidney Ponson. Say what you want about Wells' ethics and such, the man has earned a prestigious place in baseball history.

Those other two? They're eating their salaries away. And they are the staff aces of their respective teams and both were signed to huge, multi-year contracts last offseason.

That's what you should use your ammo on, Tim.

bishoptl said:
In his forthcoming biography, pitcher David Wells admits that he was "half-drunk, and had a raging, skull-rattling hangover" when he pitched his perfect game against Minnesota in 1998. He was partying till 5:00 in the morning, and was scheduled to pitch at 1:00 pm.

Mo "My Leg Is Made Of Butter" Vaughn
Kirby "Where's My Chicken" Puckett
Smokey "JUMP INTO MY BELLY" Burgess
Babe "Beers 'n Whores" Ruth
Yogi "WTF" Berra

And that's just off the top of my head. I could always Google some more if you need 'em. Funnily enough, these guys all excelled in their sport at one time or another during their careers. Perhaps packing on the pounds is key to being a top baseball guy. :D

None of those guys were "fat." They were big guys no doubt, but that doesn't mean they weren't athletic.

So how do you feel about offensive and defensive linemen? What about big backs like jerome bettis? Are they fat, unathletic slobs too bish?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Puckett, Vaughn and Ruth were/are FAT guys. Not "chunky", not "beefy"...just fat. Didn't stop them from doing well, but let's call it what it is.

Those offensive and defensive linemen are some speedy mofos, despite their size. I'd like to see any of the guys on my previous list, including the ones Federman brought up, run the 40 in less than 10 minutes. :p

Besides, we're talking hockey fitness vs baseball fitness, not football. No need for me to bring in other sports to buttress my viewpoint. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom