• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone know how much money Sony lost when they first launched the PS1?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
you mean....

Dev & R&D Costs + advertising + plant construction + fabrication etc... ?
No idea.

a fair packed no doubt.

DCharlie said:
you mean....

Dev & R&D Costs + advertising + plant construction + fabrication etc... ?
No idea.

a fair packed no doubt.

Bring it on! Can you disclose your super secret source yet??

belgurdo

Banned
I also remember when people thought the PSX would fail, and everyone put their support behind the Saturn (they even had "official" Saturn mags out on the market.)

Then the suckers saw Toshinden.

Lukas

Banned
I read that Sony was also taking losses on each console sold just like MS....was wondering how much they lost in comparision to MS

BenT

trippingmartian said:
Toshinden rocked. I wonder if it still holds up, it's been so long.
It was and always has been a terrible-playing game.

So it will hold up in that respect. Or at least be the same.

Spike

Lukas said:
I read that Sony was also taking losses on each console sold just like MS....was wondering how much they lost in comparision to MS

It's true that Sony was taking losses while producing the PS1, but they did eventually manage to make profits. That's what selling close to 100 million consoles worldwide does eventually.

Microsoft, IMHO, won't make a profit off the Xbox, what with the talk of Xbox2 releasing at the tail end of 2005 or early 2006. But, they set out to cement themselves in the market place, and even if they don't break even, they've accomplished that. Next gen is going to be very, very interesting.

belgurdo

Banned
image5.GIF
(and Vermillion, too, but I can't find a pic of him)

The only reasons I (and probably many others) actually stuck with the series

That, and positioning characters so that they'd walk off the stages during their win poses

jarrod

Banned
Lukas said:
They were slight losses to force Sega to respond with the more expensive Saturn and bleed them dry. I'm a little surprised Microsoft hasn't used the same tactics against Sony...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Code:
                                                            Yen in millions
                                                -----------------------------------------
                                                           Year ended March 31
                                                -----------------------------------------
                                                   1996           1997           1998
                                                -----------    -----------    -----------
<S>                                             <C>            <C>            <C>
Operating income (loss):
  Electronics                                       193,331        239,312        314,538
  Game                                              (8,938)         57,045        116,936
  Music                                              40,129         45,216         54,084
  Pictures                                           23,862         28,925         35,544
  Insurance                                           7,116         19,099         20,326
  Other                                             (6,078)        (1,422)       (10,292)
Can't track down the numbers from 1995, sorry. Before then Game was lumped together with a bunch of other products as a "Other Products" segment.

p.s. I should get paid to bring you this info...perhaps the GAF should higher me on to run a new feature, "Ask Gahiggidy".

DCharlie

"Bring it on! Can you disclose your super secret source yet??"

it's not secret - i'm sure the details are out there.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lukas I think your questions, your real question has already been answered. Sony was able to turn a profit on the original Playstation.

DCharlie

um - i think there is a missunderstanding in at least this thread.

I though the question was how much did they initial lose to get the PS1 started up,
not over the PS1s lifetime (which was obviously profitable).

DCharlie said:
um - i think there is a missunderstanding in at least this thread.

I though the question was how much did they initial lose to get the PS1 started up,
not over the PS1s lifetime (which was obviously profitable).

Where do you draw the line though? What exactly constitutes the startup period? The first 6 months, first year or two? When did Sony market enough that Playstation entered the cultural vocabulary? No one is ever going to make a meaningful schedule for that.

DCX

DCX
BenT said:
It was and always has been a terrible-playing game.

So it will hold up in that respect. Or at least be the same.
I agree, it looke nice, but it sucked hard.

DCX

Top Bottom