• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone try (ACTUAL) console gaming on their Laptops?

hobart

I got a 12 Powerbook Macintosh which has a mini-DVI input. Apple sells a nice mini-DVI to Video Adapter cable that allows for gaming via compos. or S-Video.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried doing this on their Mac (or perhaps PC notebook?) and what the results were (mainly for PS2 and Xbox).

Thanks.

BeOnEdge

Banned
whats this port |o|o| for? i always think vga input because its right next to the vga out but have never tried anything.

hirokazu

isn't the |0|0| port just the serial port?

we tried N64 a long time ago via composite on a Gateway with some sort of ATi card. looked shit :p.

hirokazu

Apple Jax said:
Nah it's actually just a mini-DVI (not serial... and I think it's merely for the Apples... could be wrong)

oh yes, i think that's where i remember seeing it from - iMacs in my uni's Physics lab.

edit: that adaptor's just got |o| though, isn't the other one different? i'm confused now.

hobart

As in normal DVI rather than Mini? I couldn't say.

I'm looking on the side of my laptop here and it is indeed |o|.

What does that matter anyway?

hirokazu

i dunno, but i think the |0|0| is different or smthing - the 0's (or o's) aren't square-ish like with that DVI connector, but round or more like zeros or smthing.

EDIT: yeah, so it was the serial port. that's pretty much to connect very old, slow stuff, and is not very useful these days :p. even some old mice/mouses use it, which is silly if you ask me.

hobart

n/m then... I assumed you were putting circles in because you couldn't make a square.

The port on the outside of my laptop is a |square| designated as a Mini-DVI input. There are many ways to utilize this input... external monitors, TVs etc. The link I posted is what I am interested in buying because of the S-vid and comp. capabilties. In a nutshell... I want to connect an Xbox and/or a PS2 to that device and connected it with my Mac here in order to play console games.

My question was... is it any good and does it work? Normally I would just shell out the $15 to try it... and if I didn't like it... I'd send it back... HOWEVER... I'm currently overseas. My Xbox and PS2 are an ocean away from me and it costs more money to get them over here (All of this is so expensive... ahh!)

For my own knowledge... what was the purpose of asking whether is was |o|o| or |o|? I remember serials being used for printers and even PC gaming pads. However... from what I understand... DVI is a much newer, faster solution to connecting these types of devices: TVs, Monitors... etc.

In any case... has anyone had any experience connecting an actual console to a DVI input?

I have no Idea what that looks like I'm using my 17" right now... I just suck at this stuff
would like to be able to play my gamecube on it though :)

it has
DVI & S-Video out

hobart

If you got s-vid and comp. inputs on your comp I cannot imagine why you wouldn't just be able to connect the cube right into the comp. Worth a try at least... and if you have trouble... check the help menus on the comp or even apple.com

Tenkei

That adapter is NOT for input. The first paragraph does lead one to believe that it's an input, but the second paragraph -- "Use a separate Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter for VGA video out support (included with all new 12-inch PowerBook G4 systems or available for order as a standalone kit) -- implies that it's merely an output port.

I've never seen a notebook with built-in video inputs, and just to be sure, I looked at all the notebooks with Mini-DVI ports, and they all say "Mini-DVI Out." Come to think of it, I don't know how you can get DVI-In without some sort of ADC in the adapter.

Sorry to get your hopes up.

Brannon

Anyone try (ACTUAL) console gaming on their Laptops?

Hell it's all I do during guard duty, but no action games unless I can sneak in a controller, so it's mostly Tetris or various RPG's.

hirokazu

Tenkei said:
I've never seen a notebook with built-in video inputs.

i thought many notebooks with ATi based graphics systems had Video In at least in the form of composite video or S-Video? or you just commenting on DVI?

The S-Video ports on PC-Notebooks are OUT only. AFAIK there is currently no notebook with VIVO. Would be cool to have it though. Same thing for the mini-DVI (the small port between the USB and the mic input on the left side of your 12" PB): you can buy various cables to attach at this port, but non has INPUT capabilities.

hobart

Mother fucker

:D

A lot of me said this is merely an output... in fact as I typed INPUT my mind was going, "AJ, you know this is impossible." Ah well... there go my chances of playing these games before Christmas. I may have to take a break from this site just so that nothing is spoiled for me during the November rush.

hirokazu

johnjohnson said:
The S-Video ports on PC-Notebooks are OUT only. AFAIK there is currently no notebook with VIVO. Would be cool to have it though. Same thing for the mini-DVI (the small port between the USB and the mic input on the left side of your 12" PB): you can buy various cables to attach at this port, but non has INPUT capabilities.

friend had a Gateway PIII with some ATi graphics and it had composite in, how come they're not doing it anymore? that sucks.

Top Bottom