• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event | It's Glowtime | iPhone 16 models, Apple Watch and AirPods refresh

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I already use them in loud places all the time, I carry a pair with me all the time when I'm out.

A few weeks ago I had to sit a bit to close to the music at a wedding and I would have gone deaf without the Pros.

I'm wearing my Airpods Pro at live concerts. When the music gets too loud my ears start to distort the sound but with my Airpods Pro the volume is lowered and the music sounds better.

I used to think that the sound at live shows was always really bad, I've been to rock concerts where I could hardly make out the guitar solos because it was just one big wall of distorted guitar I was hearing. I thought my ears were fine, so I always blamed the bad sound to the live mixing. But now I realize that when listening through the Airpods the live sound is clean without additional distortion, it must have been my ears all that time.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apple is adding one button at a time, iPhone 57 will have a full keyboard.

"ok but use a random smokeshow just for one segment"

Damn son usually their models are "unique" looking chonks, she fine...

V3gnBgv.png
CQ23oXX.png

She cute

Quasicat

Apple will hold its annual fall iPhone-centric event on Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

What is expected:
  • iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus
iphone-16-colors-dummies.jpg

• iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max
sonny-iphone-16-pro-colors.jpg

• Apple Watch series 10 and SE3
  • Apple Watch Ultra 3 possibly absent from event, Ultra 2 color update possible
  • AirPods 4 and Improved AirPods Max with USB-C port
I'm still using an iPhone 13 Pro and I'm curious to see if they will convince me to upgrade with the 16 Pro.
So who is watching?

I’m still rocking an iPhone XR. I’m looking to see whether I should go with a 16 or pick up a newly price dropped 15. 🤔

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Still rocking my 11 normal. Just like previous years, nothing shown that makes me want to drop $800 to upgrade even though I’m running out of space and battery is getting iffy.

maybe I should get a discounted 14 or something at this point.
Same here. I am always ready to upgrade, then I just can't find myself excited enough to want to shell out the money. My 11 is still working fine. Battery is at 75% life, but I am not using my phone tons every day so charging at night works fine.

Mistake

Gold Member
Someone needs to change the texts on that intro video. Meme potential is high.

I'll probably keep my XS max for a while longer before I get something newer that's refurbished

Last edited:

dorkimoe

ordered a watch and headphone max, but ended up canceling the headphones after realizing the only change was usb-c and everything else is 4 years old for the same price. Pass, i can keep waiting as i have airpod pro 2's anyway.

Might even cancel the watch too now and settle for the phone only :)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I think I'm going to order the white Pro Max. Usually upgrade every 2 years now so am due one.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
not watching this shit. there is no innovation anymore, yawn a better camera and some other shit mostly for content creators
The camera just rotates each iteration. Tbh I had my iPhone twelve for ages. We bought some refurbished iPhone 15. Yeah the camera has a better zoom and picture quality might be better but that’s it. The largest leap for me was to the X. Every phone after that just feels like the X but a minor update.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm going to hold on to my iPhone 12 Pro for another year. Still a fantastic device and does everything I need it to do.

So that’s the thing I do have a 12 pro max as well.

I’d like to upgrade tbh mostly because after 4 years I crave something new. And also ultra wide photos are no longer gimped finally they getting the 48.

Erebus

I'm still undecided about upgrading from my 13 Pro. My battery health is still at 92%, partly because I also have a secondary phone for work, so my personal iPhone isn't used that heavily. I'm thinking the iPhone 17 might be a more significant upgrade, given the rumored design changes but I'm kinda itching for the better cameras, dynamic island and AI features.

Any word if the Apple Intelligence will be available in Europe?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm on a 12 Pro Max and my battery has degraded somewhat. I'm also keen on the better camera and AI. But ... I'm also not ready to bend over for Apple's new flagship so maybe I can pick up a 15 Pro Max for a less eye watering price if I'm truly desperate (just want a better camera and more storage).

Trilobit

I'm wearing my Airpods Pro at live concerts. When the music gets too loud my ears start to distort the sound but with my Airpods Pro the volume is lowered and the music sounds better.

I used to think that the sound at live shows was always really bad, I've been to rock concerts where I could hardly make out the guitar solos because it was just one big wall of distorted guitar I was hearing. I thought my ears were fine, so I always blamed the bad sound to the live mixing. But now I realize that when listening through the Airpods the live sound is clean without additional distortion, it must have been my ears all that time.

I think some concerts presuppose that people have earplugs so they crank things up higher.

Shtef

I am more curious about mac os sequoia and its build in apple intelligence. It looks like it similar to microsoft recall feature and i dont like it. Let's see if it will be able to block it completely, i dont want any ai watching everything i do on my computer.

Certinty

I was sold on getting a 16 Pro upgrading from my 14 Pro but now i really don't know, looks a pretty lame upgrade in all honesty.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Bah I knew it would just be a phone and watch show but I'm still disappointed. The macs should be announced soon after though.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
that was extremely very boring.

if you took a lick of alcohol every time they said Apple Intelligence you'd be dead. Seems like that's all they've got... oh wait how could I forgot the new amazing mind-blowing revolutionary camera button!!? lol.

S10 watch is essentially a S9 with a small screen upgrade, shaved a bit of thickness of the watch, and it has a water and depth sensor. With the rumours of a redesign I was ready to throw my money at Apple even though I have an S9 but the redesign was literally just a 1mm bigger screen and 3mm reduced thickness lol. At first I checked the price I could get if I traded in my S9. I could get the S10 for £264 but I can't even justify that.

mark my words. next year we'll get a minor revision in the form of the S11 and they'll kill the Ultra. Well, it'll get a major redesign and be named something like the Apple Watch X.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I’m due an upgrade but the rumours are that the 17 will have some bigger changes so I’ll sit this one out.
iPhone 17 is rumoured to have:
  • 120Hz display on the standard models. No longer exclusive to Pro.
  • Even larger screen sizes on Pro models. The 16 Pro Max just went up to 6.9" so we might get our first 7" iPhone.
  • Possibly an under display Face ID sensor (there will still be a "punch hole" for the selfie camera) for the Pro models.
  • Selfie camera improvement
  • Anti Reflective display which is more durable than the "Ceramic Shield"
  • Completely new model called the "iPhone Slim" which might replace the iPhone Plus or end up being the most expensive iPhone in the line up. As the name implies it will be slim (lol) but it will have a camera bump similar to Google Pixel phones. It is meant to be 6.6" screen size so it'll fit in between the 16 models which are 6.3" and 6.9"
  • The iPhone 17 Pro Max might get 12GB RAM up from 8GB. The rest of the line up will stay at 8GB

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
  • Even larger screen sizes on Pro models. The 16 Pro Max just went up to 6.9" so we might get our first 7" iPhone.
  • Possibly an under display Face ID sensor (there will still be a "punch hole" for the selfie camera) for the Pro models.
  • Completely new model called the "iPhone Slim" which might replace the iPhone Plus or end up being the most expensive iPhone in the line up. As the name implies it will be slim (lol) but it will have a camera bump similar to Google Pixel phones. It is meant to be 6.6" screen size so it'll fit in between the 16 models which are 6.3" and 6.9"
  • The iPhone 17 Pro Max might get 12GB RAM up from 8GB. The rest of the line up will stay at 8GB

I like that 16 is not even out and we already have 17 rumors.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I like that 16 is not even out and we already have 17 rumors.
these 17 rumours have been around for a while. details of the new "slim" model has been going about for months now.

you'll find that all sorts of rumours go about and some turn out to be for further down the line. so some things people thought would come to the iPhone 16 or 17 will actually be for the 17 or 18.

for example, the iPhone 16 Pro Max was rumoured to have 12GB but looks like it's for the 17. Also, while partially true, the rumours of a major redesign for the Watch didn't come true. It did get a slight redesign but a major redesign will likely happen next year for the 10th anniversary of the Watch release.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
these 17 rumours have been around for a while. details of the new "slim" model has been going about for months now.

you'll find that all sorts of rumours go about and some turn out to be for further down the line. so some things people thought would come to the iPhone 16 or 17 will actually be for the 17 or 18.

for example, the iPhone 16 Pro Max was rumoured to have 12GB but looks like it's for the 17. Also, while partially true, the rumours of a major redesign for the Watch didn't come true. It did get a slight redesign but a major redesign will likely happen next year for the 10th anniversary of the Watch release.

My name is Tim Apple, and only some of your info is accurate.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
1. Walk into an Apple Store
2. Give them $100 for a new battery replacement
3. ???
4. Profit

Your eloquent wordsmithing has convinced me to indeed skip this generation, and wait for the 17. Thank you good sir.

Everyone I release is the best one yet. A phone, a Camera and a messenger. Also a babysitter for your kids at dinner.

Yeah it's always the usual wankfest but the built-in ChatGPT-4o integration might be useful. I'm also liking the sound of it also being integrated and free for the next MacOS Sequoia too.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
New official batteries are a game changer. It’s why I’m still on an iPhone 12.

Yeah and the replacement cost here in Australia isn't too bad at AU$150. My battery is currently at 82% health which isn't bad for nearly 4 years or fairly heavy usage. I'll probably wait until it's closer to 75% or until it becomes unbearable before I get it replaced.

Less electronics lying around is always good for the planet. My mobile plan is 10€, I get 80GB on 5G for that.

Yeah I pay roughly the same but with 120GB and 5G + VoLTE + eSIM. One of those post paid plans where I pay for the full 1 year plan in one hit.

As for electronic waste, I usually give my old devices to friends and family. My dad is still using my iPhone 8, which was my daily driver before being gifted the iPhone 12.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

New official batteries are a game changer. It’s why I’m still on an iPhone 12.
I am surprised they offer them, but given that each replacement component needs to be certified by Apple I think they cannot NOT offer them, at least in the EU. My battery is at 87%, when it gets super low in 3-4 years I might pay for a new battery. My iPad Pro 12.9" is from 2017, still going strong.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The iPhone 17 Pro Max might get 12GB RAM up from 8GB. The rest of the line up will stay at 8GB

I would believe that; it's a large leap memory-wise (for Apple) and it's probably to support, among other things, larger on-device AI models with more parameters.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Airpod 4's with noise cancelation are the only big deal to me. I love the quality of my AirPod Pro 2's but HATE wearing them because of the gasket/seal thing. If the Airpod 4's are even half as good, and as comfortable as normal airpods, it'll be perfect for me. I'll then relegate the airpod pro 2's to flights.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Airpod 4's with noise cancelation are the only big deal to me. I love the quality of my AirPod Pro 2's but HATE wearing them because of the gasket/seal thing. If the Airpod 4's are even half as good, and as comfortable as normal airpods, it'll be perfect for me. I'll then relegate the airpod pro 2's to flights.

It's approximately half as good

The footnote on the Pro 2 was updated to say 2x better than the Pro 1 and new 4

I have the Pro 2 and tried the ANC without the eartips, seems about right

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's approximately half as good

The footnote on the Pro 2 was updated to say 2x better than the Pro 1 and new 4

I have the Pro 2 and tried the ANC without the eartips, seems about right

Honestly that's perfect then! Save the Pro 2's when in need of heavy ANC, and use the 4's as my daily driver. Love it. Just pre-ordered them.

Bojji

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got the AirPods 4 with noise canceling. Not a fan of in ear ear buds but always loved the regular AirPods. Interested in the normal iPhone +, still using a 12 pro max, but with a 60hz screen it’s prob not worth it. Guess I’ll just keep using this one till it just doesn’t work any more. Baffles me why in 2024 they cheating out on the display on the base models.. I can get a cheap ass phone with 144hz display for less then $300.

TTOOLL

Not good at all. I jumped from an 11 to the 15 so 60hz didn't mean much, but last week I bought my father a freaking Samsung A55 with 120hz display and I was blown away. It's PATHETIC that only the "PRO" phones have it.

LordOfChaos

Not good at all. I jumped from an 11 to the 15 so 60hz didn't mean much, but last week I bought my father a freaking Samsung A55 with 120hz display and I was blown away. It's PATHETIC that only the "PRO" phones have it.

Yeah that and USB 2.0 transfer speeds on the base in 2024 are nuts

Apparently the base 17 will finally get ProMotion, be really crazy if they still gimp these things they pitch as great video machines (which they are) with a pinhole to get a firehose of information out of

Top Bottom