• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

This is the best ZAGG shield I've ever bought. I was afraid they'd make it like they did the iPhone where it only covers the screen portion and is usually cut improperly leaving the screen exposed on one side with a clear line on the side when the screen is on. This bad boy goes from edge to edge and completely covers the glass. So now my iPad is completely protected and still has that naked feel. This is definitely the way to go. I spent $14.99 on the skin and $65.99 on the Zagg.
I'll have to give that Zagg a look, thanks.

Imgur album and thoughts on the case I bought:

http://imgur.com/a/5zSxZ

tAFzg5x.jpg

apdQ2N9.jpg

xzZJWpW.jpg

ejV94Z6.jpg

JlpCMOa.jpg

z8b5A6q.jpg

kcxMESN.jpg

eGylScY.jpg

JxYRhM5.jpg

a8zvnQU.jpg

Pros:
+lightweight
+feels sturdy
+full access to ports/speakers
+two ways to orient the iPad, like any official case
+$40 on Amazon

Neutral:
=can be hard to prop up with the flap in the back, but it only takes a couple seconds of fidgeting
=can be hard to get into the hand-hold, but I'm glad it exists
=case goes right up against the screen so it can be hard to do edge-swipes

Cons:
-the Pencil holder, if it even is one, is useless. The Pencil will slide right out if you shake the device at all. Will have to put a clip on the Pencil
-doesn't sleep/wake with the screen flap, and I'm used to that happening with the official smart case on my Air 2

Overall I'm happy with it for now. If it turns out I'm not long-term it was only $40. Way better than the $140 Apple is asking for their complete case solution

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBP9Q6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The drawing on my screen is rough. Like REALLY rough. I tested it side-by-side with one of the display units at an Apple Store and its night and day. I feel like when I move the Pencil over my screen is scratching it, there's so much resistance

Edit: something was definitely wrong with the screen, missing a coating or something. Got it swapped and the new one is night and day

Okay, my Pencil finally got delivered today and I just tried it out. It feels surprisingly rough, especially after reading some reviews where they said it felt almost too smooth. I immediately remembered this post of yours and got worried. It feels like the nib is dragging against the screen, not gliding across it. Is that what you felt, or is this normal? How is the resistance level for the rest of you who have the Pencil?

Okay, my Pencil finally got delivered today and I just tried it out. It feels surprisingly rough, especially after reading some reviews where they said it felt almost too smooth. I immediately remembered this post of yours and got worried. It feels like the nib is dragging against the screen, not gliding across it. Is that what you felt, or is this normal? How is the resistance level for the rest of you who have the Pencil?

It felt like it as dragging, yeah. I was afraid it was going to scratch the glass.

What I did was I took mine to an Apple Store and set up shop next to the demos. I did my Pencil on my iPad, then my Pencil on a demo, then a demo Pencil on my iPad and compared how they all felt. My Pencil felt fine on a demo iPad and terrible on mine, so I made an appointment to have it looked it and got it swapped. I recommend doing the same with yours to get a holistic idea

Mine feels fine.

It felt like it as dragging, yeah. I was afraid it was going to scratch the glass.

What I did was I took mine to an Apple Store and set up shop next to the demos. I did my Pencil on my iPad, then my Pencil on a demo, then a demo Pencil on my iPad and compared how they all felt. My Pencil felt fine on a demo iPad and terrible on mine, so I made an appointment to have it looked it and got it swapped. I recommend doing the same with yours to get a holistic idea

Okay, thanks; I tried the extra nib the Pencil came with and it was just as rough. Sounds like I'd better get it checked to be sure. Visiting an Apple Store on Thanksgiving weekend should be fun.

If anyone didn't get AppleCare+ on their iPad Pro fucking do it. An out-of-warranty or accidental repair through the Genius Bar is $600, while with AC+ it's $49

btkadams

my smart keyboard finally came. i'm just using the ipad on my lap and it feels like i'm using a laptop, which is great. i thought maybe it would feel uneasy on my lap because it's not a sturdy laptop, but it feels very similar. i've also never really used a keyboard with an ipad before so this is neat.

I keep telling myself I don't need this even though I can get it through T-Mobile for $200 down and $40 a month for the 128 GB and Jump On Demand (upgrades)..

I don't need this..

I don't need this..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I finally got my 128go iPad Pro and first impression is... It's glorious. Instapaper, Newsify, Comiczeal or Evernote on this screen are something else.

epmode

I'm pretty disappointed with how few apps support iPad Pro's resolution but it's still early so I'll let it slide. The real problem is how many apps still have no multitasking and/or picture-in-picture.

sarcastor

I'm pretty disappointed with how few apps support iPad Pro's resolution but it's still early so I'll let it slide. The real problem is how many apps still have no multitasking and/or picture-in-picture.

The only video player I can find that supports split screen and popup is youplayer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

elohel

my smart keyboard finally came. i'm just using the ipad on my lap and it feels like i'm using a laptop, which is great. i thought maybe it would feel uneasy on my lap because it's not a sturdy laptop, but it feels very similar. i've also never really used a keyboard with an ipad before so this is neat.

enjoying it so far though? is it clunky to open and close?

btkadams

enjoying it so far though? is it clunky to open and close?
it's still a little bit weird to fold up or unfold for me, but i've only had it for a day. the magnet that holds the end of the ipad connected to the keyboard during use is so goddamn strong that i feel like a wuss using so much energy to detach it when i'm putting it away lol.

still very much enjoying it. i've never used another keyboard with an ipad though so maybe people would find others to be more comfortable or more functional? honestly have no idea.

one complaint is that there does not seem to be a natural way to position the keyboard cover so that the ipad is laying flat but slightly raised with the cover rolled up under one end (and with no keyboard access, like a regular smart cover). you can sort of prop it up like that, but it's not designed to do it. it'd be nice for playing games on your lap like hearthstone where you want propped up a bit and obviously don't want to use a keyboard.

it's still a little bit weird to fold up or unfold for me, but i've only had it for a day. the magnet that holds the end of the ipad connected to the keyboard during use is so goddamn strong that i feel like a wuss using so much energy to detach it when i'm putting it away lol.

still very much enjoying it. i've never used another keyboard with an ipad though so maybe people would find others to be more comfortable or more functional? honestly have no idea.

one complaint is that there does not seem to be a natural way to position the keyboard cover so that the ipad is laying flat but slightly raised with the cover rolled up under one end (and with no keyboard access, like a regular smart cover). you can sort of prop it up like that, but it's not designed to do it. it'd be nice for playing games on your lap like hearthstone where you want propped up a bit and obviously don't want to use a keyboard.

fcepFjV.gif

epmode

The only video player I can find that supports split screen and popup is youplayer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As the other poster said, Twitch supports both. The Apple video app and Safari also support both features, of course.

But I often use Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Video and HBO Go, and they still don't*

*Amazon's latest update says it added multitasking and PIP but it doesn't work. Not only that, HBO Now supports both features but HBO Go doesn't.

antispin

Working from home today so I propped up my Pro and used Duet to set it up as a second monitor for my MBP. Works like a charm and the screen is almost the same size as the laptop's:

I wish the thing were less expensive (which I wish about many of Apple's products) but it can be quite a versatile device (not that other versions can't but the large screen size helps, at least in my case). So far, I've used it as a standalone tablet, as light laptop replacement, second monitor, and graphics tablet (via Astropad and native apps with Pencil).

I was thinking, if I had to travel a lot for work (I don't), a laptop + iPad Pro would be a perfect combination. During transit, keep the laptop stowed and use the iPad for whatever work or entertainment I want. Wherever I'm working, use it as a second monitor and do the heavy work on the laptop. Back at wherever I'm staying, stow the laptop again and just use the iPad unless something needs serious work and then bust out the laptop again.

Can you type on the iPad using the MBP keyboard?

sarcastor

As the other poster said, Twitch supports both. The Apple video app and Safari also support both features, of course.
But I often use Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Video and HBO Go, and they still don't*

*Amazon's latest update says it added multitasking and PIP but it doesn't work. Not only that, HBO Now supports both features but HBO Go doesn't.

Yeah I want a video player that plays MP4 and mkv. Maybe in a couple of weeks or months.

cinexplayer lets you watch movies and view the web in its built in browser in portrait mode but it's only available in Canada :(

http://www.nxpsoftware.com/products/cinexplayer-ios/

Wedge7

Hrm, just got the Ipad pro today. Used it for like 20 minutes and played around and then charged it for a few hours and left the house to do some shopping. Came back and the screen wouldnt turn on. Had to do the hold power+home button for 10 seconds thing. Checked online and seems like a few people seem to have the problem. Pretty annoying to be honest. Hopefully its not a lingering issue.

Hrm, just got the Ipad pro today. Used it for like 20 minutes and played around and then charged it for a few hours and left the house to do some shopping. Came back and the screen wouldnt turn on. Had to do the hold power+home button for 10 seconds thing. Checked online and seems like a few people seem to have the problem. Pretty annoying to be honest. Hopefully its not a lingering issue.

Happened to me this morning. It's PROBABLY a software thing. Can't imagine it's a hardware problem

Bumhead

Banned
What's the full usage case for the pencil then?

Is it just for creative purposes, or does it work as another input device across the board, i.e for web browsing etc? Does it basically work in all the exact same ways your finger and touch normally would on an iPad?

I'm dangerously tempted to get one for Football Manager.

Oxn

People on the 9.2 beta said it dont happen anymore.

It's known about, and widespread (mine does it)

Apple have commented that they're "investigating" now

epmode

Strange thing: Lara Croft Go runs noticeably worse on my Pro than an iPad Air 2. 30 FPS vs 60. I assume it'll be corrected in a patch?

I didn't really notice similar issues in other game but I didn't test all that many.

Lima

Man the Air is for ants after using the Pro for a few weeks now. Don't even get me started on the Mini. Looks like a bigger iPhone.

So I did this today. Demo unit felt smooth as silk with the Pencil, but mine felt really rough, almost scratchy. They gave me no hassle about swapping the iPad Pro, but the guy was curious so he got a microfiber and cleaned it really well. All that roughness went away and it felt pretty much like the demo unit. I felt like an idiot for not trying this before. So it seems that mine was not defective, but that the Pencil is ultra-sensitive to any smudges on the screen. I don't know why exactly the demo units aren't suffering from this, since they've got way more usage from grubby hands going on. But I'm going to guess that this was actually the issue with yours as well.

Apple should probably issue a technote on this so people don't falsely assume the unit is bad.

So I did this today. Demo unit felt smooth as silk with the Pencil, but mine felt really rough, almost scratchy. They gave me no hassle about swapping the iPad Pro, but the guy was curious so he got a microfiber and cleaned it really well. All that roughness went away and it felt pretty much like the demo unit. I felt like an idiot for not trying this before. So it seems that mine was not defective, but that the Pencil is ultra-sensitive to any smudges on the screen. I don't know why exactly the demo units aren't suffering from this, since they've got way more usage from grubby hands going on. But I'm going to guess that this was actually the issue with yours as well.

Apple should probably issue a technote on this so people don't falsely assume the unit is bad.

It's possible? I'll admit I didn't try wiping it down first. In my testing the only time the screen was smooth is when there WERE fingerprints on it. Like I'd specifically put a fingerprint and drag the Pencil over it, and then when the pencil was off the smudge it was bad again.

My new one didn't have a problem out of the wrapping, so who knows

RedSonja

Banned
I wouldn't bother purchasing an Ipad Pro if I was you. Clearly, it will be obsolete in a single season due to the lack of 3D Touch. If iOS 9 is built to support 3D Touch, and developers are encouraged to support it, and all new devices are supporting it, then people are going to get used to it being there. Using apps on your new phone, whenever you are eligible to get one, and then using the same apps on your iPad Pro and having none of your context sensitive shortcuts available is BIG deal breaker for me!
I've had 2 iPads so far and neither have I felt tempted to upgrade to the very next iteration. I'm not inclined to buy one that I know I will want to discard in a year lol
Other than that I would consider it if I see a substantial price cut, lol. Not because it's the best deal in tablets, but because it's the best iPad and I don't mind iPads.

Top Bottom