• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On my Air 2 you can split-screen in portrait

It's still horizontal spit screen though (side by side). I think they want what I want, which is top/bottom split, so you can have a video take home full width of the top of the screen while another app is on the bottom half. Split that way, each half would be roughly 16:9 and so the video would be a good size. Currently the video is tiny. Even if you do picture in picture it can't get big enough, plus then it overlaps the other app - I'd prefer to keep them separate.

Guess Who

Banned
How much RAM is in this thing? I'm utterly disappointed in my iPhone 6 Pro due to having only 1GB of RAM, that with the high DPI and the larger screen browsers literally cannot load most webpages without crashing. It's such a fundamental design flaw that I honestly think Apple should do a recall. but anyway, I'm stuck with this hunk of shit that can't load a webpage without crashing now, and I'm curious if this is still an issue on the iPad Pro.

Since I don't see that anyone directly addressed this, the iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM.

You mean the iPhone 6+? The newer iPhone 6s+ has 2GB of RAM and it has pretty much resolved the memory issues present in the original 6+. As for the iPad Pro, the performance has been nice and smooth for me.

Mitigates, doesn't solve the issue. Until they get Safari to the point where it doesn't need to reload a few times a week, I'm going to consider this a problem.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just saw PhotoRaw was updated with iPad Pro support. Has anyone tried it?

PhotoRaw

Description

· View and adjust raw image files at 1:1; unlimited image size
· iOS 9 optimized with multitasking support
· 64-bit processing
· AirDrop for exported images
· View EXIF and GPS data
· Full range of image adjustments, JPEG and TIFF exports, etc

What's New in Version 4.3.5

• Optimized for the iPad Pro

Chiggs

Gold Member
I got a phenomenal open box deal on a gold 32GB iPad Pro: $687.00.

According to the Best Buy associate, the store had inadvertently selected the gold model for its demo unit, had it out for a day until they replaced it with the Space Gray unit, and then decided to mark it down by over a $100.00. Before I purchased it, I performed a physical inspection of the device. No scratches, dents, scuffs or anything else. All accessories were still wrapped in the plastic.

Used it for a couple of hours yesterday with the Logitech Create keyboard and feel comfortable that I can use this instead of my laptop when I'm travelling on business. And while it's pretty large, I also think it does a great job as an e-reader. The one thing that sort of bugs me is the storage size, but after installing all of my desired apps--about 43 in all, I still have 18.8GB left. Sort of hard to complain about that considering the heavy markdown.

Still trying to find a reason to justify the price of the Apple Pencil, however. :/

I've been trying different drawing apps with the Pencil and I actually really like Adobe Draw. I even managed a doodle of Cyclops I'm pretty happy with:

Yk5PWc5.jpg
That's really nice. I'll have to check out Draw.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here's Artgerm's video review of the iPad Pro. It's a big lengthy, I just started watching it.

https://livestream.com/stanleyartgermlau/artchat

It's interesting that he modded the pencil exactly in the same way I did immediately with my SP4 pen. Style and ergonomics don't always walk hand in hand.

His comment about Windows not being touch optimised is completely true, but surely just touch optimised only works if the iPad has the apps you need for his 'hard core productivity'? And for Windows, wouldn't it be possible to have an app to put hot keys in a strip to the left of the screen, like you'd get on something like an intuos?

artsi

His comment about Windows not being touch optimised is completely true, but surely just touch optimised only works if the iPad has the apps you need for his 'hard core productivity'? And for Windows, wouldn't it be possible to have an app to put hot keys in a strip to the left of the screen, like you'd get on something like an intuos?

I've got the impression that Artgerm is not a super technical person, though he's a great artist. Maybe he appreciates the user friendly functionality the iPad Pro + Procreate offers, compared to configuring a ton of screen hotkeys via 3rd party software.

I'm a Photoshop user but I feel Procreate has picked most of the important features from it, and compiled then to a nice, touch friendly package. I think most of the Photoshop feature stack is just bloat anyway.

But as someone who isn't afraid of tinkering with tech, I think SP4 is pretty good, like you said you can customize a lot of the stuff to get around default UI problems, etc.
I wrote a long personal opinion about SP4 for artists here, but it got long and I decided to post it to the SP4 thread instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=186541691#post186541691

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had a quick play with one in John Lewis's - its massive! I can imagine it being amazing for content optimised for A4 paper - comics, magazines etc - but most websites see a mobile browser and format themselves to exoect a small page, so they appear lost on the massive screen. Landscape split screen is a different story - safari feels way more natural like that, as it is roughly like an iPad Air in portrait. I think it'll take time for software to really take advantage of the size, and I think iOS really needs more changes to work better with that form factor (more icons on the home screen, maybe an alternative approach to home screens generally, I still think mouse support would be nice, better app discovery for split screen mode)

So i guess Best Buy can now sell the pencil. Great. Too bad none of them within '250 miles' stocks one per their website. And none of the Apple stores in my area have one in stock. This is a cruel joke.

So i guess Best Buy can now sell the pencil. Great. Too bad none of them within '250 miles' stocks one per their website. And none of the Apple stores in my area have one in stock. This is a cruel joke.

The cruel joke is that a pre-ordered day one and I still don't have my Pencil, yet people can stroll into an Apple Store and pick one up.

The drawing on my screen is rough. Like REALLY rough. I tested it side-by-side with one of the display units at an Apple Store and its night and day. I feel like when I move the Pencil over my screen is scratching it, there's so much resistance

Edit: something was definitely wrong with the screen, missing a coating or something. Got it swapped and the new one is night and day

I've been thinking about picking one of these up, but am put off by the lack of pencil availability. Super frustrating, but probably for the best. The base model is like $1049 in Canada...

samn

Had a quick play with one in John Lewis's - its massive! I can imagine it being amazing for content optimised for A4 paper - comics, magazines etc - but most websites see a mobile browser and format themselves to exoect a small page,

That's bad practise on the web designer's part, they should only be looking at screen size not 'mobile' or 'desktop'

LCfiner

So if all I use my 4 year old macbook air for is to browse the web and chat, should I just replace it with the Pro and a keyboard?

If all you do is browse the web and chat on a 4 year old machine, you could save many hundreds and get an iPad Air or iPad mini...

Even a refurb MacBook Air. Or a chromebook

iPad pro is neat but is very expensive and not the most ergonomic browsing and chatting device out there, imo

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If all you do is browse the web and chat on a 4 year old machine, you could save many hundreds and get an iPad Air or iPad mini...

iPad pro is neat but is very expensive and not the most ergonomic browsing and chatting device out there, imo

Yeah, I could, but I like the size and was debating between it or a Surface Pro, which I also like. I have an older iPad Mini and it's too small.

To get an iPad Pro, Pencil & Keyboard Cover in Australia with an Education discount is over $2000. Fuck that, no matter how much I want one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd agree. Air 2 as you could have your chat app side by side with your browser (if supported). I do hat quite a bit now with messenger - if it looks like a conversation is starting while I'm browsing I'll just put it up in the right side so I can see responses more easily.

Don't know if mini 4 supports side by side? Has the ram and processor but it is possible Apple blocks it by screen size?

LCfiner

I'd agree. Air 2 as you could have your chat app side by side with your browser (if supported). I do hat quite a bit now with messenger - if it looks like a conversation is starting while I'm browsing I'll just put it up in the right side so I can see responses more easily.

Don't know if mini 4 supports side by side? Has the ram and processor but it is possible Apple blocks it by screen size?

FYI, mini 4 supports side by side concurrent apps.

but the screen size is the reason I, personally, went with an Air 2 instead of the mini 4. just too small for me to comfortably use with two apps side by side

Guess Who

Banned
I use split view on my mini 4 all the time. It displays exactly the same amount of content as the Air, only physically smaller, so I don't understand the idea that split view is better to use on the Air unless you have trouble reading smaller text and whatnot. Personally I feel like content on the iPad Air feels comically large after using a mini, haha.

artsi

I'll post this here too as people might be on the fence between iPad Pro and SP4, and it might be one factor in the decision.
Apple Pencil might need to be charged, but I think it's better than buying new AAAA batteries all the time.

I started my SP4 this morning and the pen was unresponsive. It didn't do anything.
I was afraid it got broken, but it was the battery after all.

They said it'll last "a year" and this one has been in use for 6 days.

If I have to replace the battery every week or two with heavy use, I'll say that Apple went absolutely the right way with their rechargeable solution (assuming they just can't use EMR because of Wacom's patent).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'll post this here too as people might be on the fence between iPad Pro and SP4, and it might be one factor in the decision.
Apple Pencil might need to be charged, but I think it's better than buying new AAAA batteries all the time.

Battery should last for ages, probably just got a bad one - it happens. I like the rechargeable battery in the pencil but I doubt it'd knock anyone off the fence.

Thinking about getting this for my girlfriend. I bought her a laptop last year that she uses every now and then but it's so big and it's kinda slow she complains about. She doesn't really do much of anything she has a Amazon tablet but that's old now. She reads a lot of books. So I was thinking this or the iPad Air.

I use split view on my mini 4 all the time. It displays exactly the same amount of content as the Air, only physically smaller, so I don't understand the idea that split view is better to use on the Air unless you have trouble reading smaller text and whatnot. Personally I feel like content on the iPad Air feels comically large after using a mini, haha.
When Apple first announced the feature, they said it would only work on iPad Air 2 and later on the iPad Pro. So a lot of people don't realize that side-by-side multitasking works on the Mini 4.

LCfiner

that's my issue, yeah. just size and touch targets wit the two apps. but it's totally just a personal preference.

I used a mini 2 for a year and going to an Air 2, everything looked crazy huge for the first day and then felt normal again. now mini looks too small, heh.

mcfrank

My campus book store got a shipment of Apple Pencils in yesterday. If you are looking for one and have access to a college campus with an Apple store, it is worth a shot.

gatti-man

The price is laughter inducing. I know I know it's Apple so people will buy it but I hope not too many. 1,000 for a tablet, especially a limited tablet like this is a joke. I paid $275 for my iPad Air 2 and it's great. Can't see myself ever paying 1,000 for this. The surface is tempting, this just seems like a cash grab to me.

The price is laughter inducing. I know I know it's Apple so people will buy it but I hope not too many. 1,000 for a tablet, especially a limited tablet like this is a joke. I paid $275 for my iPad Air 2 and it's great. Can't see myself ever paying 1,000 for this. The surface is tempting, this just seems like a cash grab to me.
It's a great product. And yeah, it sounds like a good number of people have bought it. Sorry. 😩

Appleman

I mean, if you got your Air 2 somehow for basically half price, maybe someone will eventually find a half price deal for this too?

Working from home today so I propped up my Pro and used Duet to set it up as a second monitor for my MBP. Works like a charm and the screen is almost the same size as the laptop's:

I wish the thing were less expensive (which I wish about many of Apple's products) but it can be quite a versatile device (not that other versions can't but the large screen size helps, at least in my case). So far, I've used it as a standalone tablet, as light laptop replacement, second monitor, and graphics tablet (via Astropad and native apps with Pencil).

I was thinking, if I had to travel a lot for work (I don't), a laptop + iPad Pro would be a perfect combination. During transit, keep the laptop stowed and use the iPad for whatever work or entertainment I want. Wherever I'm working, use it as a second monitor and do the heavy work on the laptop. Back at wherever I'm staying, stow the laptop again and just use the iPad unless something needs serious work and then bust out the laptop again.

gatti-man

I mean, if you got your Air 2 somehow for basically half price, maybe someone will eventually find a half price deal for this too?

How can anyone justify double the retail price for a couple extra inches and a processor that's a little faster?

I got my iPad 2 air off of amazon.com. You can get barely used ones there in brand new condition for 270-300. Apple pricing is insane. I refuse to pay it.

Think of what a $1,000 can buy hardware wise. The iPad pro is a brazen rip off just like the watch in my opinion.

It's a great product. And yeah, it sounds like a good number of people have bought it. Sorry. ��

Plenty of things are great products when pricing isn't taken into account. This is a terrible product at 1,000. It's a joke unless you have specific needs it addresses. For the masses it's a blatant rip off. I'm sure a good amount will buy it. The status seekers, the Apple fans, but I hope it isn't mass adopted like the iPad. The iPad while being over priced isn't a flaming rip off like the pro.

How can anyone justify double the retail price for a couple extra inches and a processor that's a little faster?

I got my iPad 2 air off of amazon.com. You can get barely used ones there in brand new condition for 270-300. Apple pricing is insane. I refuse to pay it.

Think of what a $1,000 can buy hardware wise. The iPad pro is a brazen rip off just like the watch in my opinion.
Just a little faster?

And aren't you the same dude who thinks iPhones are massively overpriced but buy them because they are better than everything else? Don't know how you handle it.

dork

Banned
So I've had my Pro for a week now or whatever. I use it just for browsing and movies. I'm used to it now, don't even notice it being large. Went and used my moms ipad 3, lmao, it was like picking up an ipod touch. Unbelievable how small it looks after using the pro. I cant believe I used to watch Netflix on that thing.

Debating on grabbing the keyboard as I am finding myself typing a bunch on it.

Weevilone

My iPad Pro has officially passed the point of no return.. Not in a literal sense, due to holiday return periods, but in my own view.

I setup the old Air for the wife last night. Really enjoining the extra space and performance and received a pencil yesterday, so looking forward to trying that out.

The size is definitely a negative at times, but for my purposes, the good outweighs the bad.

So I've had my PRO for a few days now, and finally got it out of the box after my Bestskinsever rear skin came in the mail. My original intention was to use the skin on the back and keyboard cover on the front. Since I haven't been able to get a keyboard cover and I've been dying to use the Pro I went to BB and grabbed the Zagg Glass shield for the front. This may just be the setup to use!!!

This is the best ZAGG shield I've ever bought. I was afraid they'd make it like they did the iPhone where it only covers the screen portion and is usually cut improperly leaving the screen exposed on one side with a clear line on the side when the screen is on. This bad boy goes from edge to edge and completely covers the glass. So now my iPad is completely protected and still has that naked feel. This is definitely the way to go. I spent $14.99 on the skin and $65.99 on the Zagg.

Top Bottom