• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Xun

For now there's AstroPad, but yeah official support would be good. Kinda surprised the AstroPad guys haven't done a virtual screen driver (like Duet or AirDisplay or whatever) to provide a second screen function while they're at it.
I'd love official support, even if AstroPad will continue to improve.

I'm not kidding when I say I prefer what I've tried of the Pencil compared to a Cintiq.

So should I just give up on getting a pencil until after xmas? Is anyone walking into a store and getting one?

Canadian Stores tell you to just check the website now on the rare magical chance that a shipment comes in and the website is somehow updated to notice and allow for pick-up. :(

It's crazy how rare it is. Literally zero Craigslist/Kijiji posts here mention it.

9gZ9alU.jpg

Yeah. Not sure what kind of violence you'd need to inflict to crack the back, I'd imagine the screen would be decimated at that point.

Canadian Stores tell you to just check the website now on the rare magical chance that a shipment comes in and the website is somehow updated to notice and allow for pick-up. :(

It's crazy how rare it is. Literally zero Craigslist/Kijiji posts here mention it.

I can see people making a nice profit by selling pencils over retail on eBay that are "pre-order". People so keen to press the buy button they don't see the "estimated shipping date" of mid/late January.

I can see people making a nice profit by selling pencils over retail on eBay that are "pre-order". People so keen to press the buy button they don't see the "estimated shipping date" of mid/late January.

Would not surprise me. And the eBay prices are just crazy too; lots going to auction.

Seems stores are still getting random shipments so that's an option. But the time between shipments is surprisingly big; two weeks for east coast Canada. Huge stock of Pros to sell that just aren't going anywhere with the pencils OOS

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
9gZ9alU.jpg

Yeah. Not sure what kind of violence you'd need to inflict to crack the back, I'd imagine the screen would be decimated at that point.

Those fuckers charged me $700 to replace a Macbook retina screen that somehow cracked behind the fucking glass three days out of warranty (the damage they said wouldn't be covered anyways).

Tendo

Anyone else have experience with the pencil getting a bit of resistance from the screen? I don't feel like i'm scratching it like users on the previous page but I'm definitely feeling some parts of the screen aren't as smooth as others, or at least I think it is the screen? Does the tip need broken in first? I'm not even sure if I'm describing this correctly.

The smart case came today as well and I love the keyboard. I feel the sound and feel of it.

Anyone else have experience with the pencil getting a bit of resistance from the screen? I don't feel like i'm scratching it like users on the previous page but I'm definitely feeling some parts of the screen aren't as smooth as others, or at least I think it is the screen? Does the tip need broken in first? I'm not even sure if I'm describing this correctly.

The smart case came today as well and I love the keyboard. I feel the sound and feel of it.
The resistance is from finger print smudges. But yes the pencil will break in.

Er, wow did not expect Best Buy Canada to get any online stock for the Pencil. I guess I'm on my way to an even more expensive iPad. So I guess for canadian thread viewers, there's your other option. (More expensive though, $150 vs $130 at Apple Store. No idea how BB is allowed to charge markup but there it is!)

Er, wow did not expect Best Buy Canada to get any online stock for the Pencil. I guess I'm on my way to an even more expensive iPad. So I guess for canadian thread viewers, there's your other option. (More expensive though, $150 vs $130 at Apple Store. No idea how BB is allowed to charge markup but there it is!)

Fack. Can't believe I missed this. Sold out :(

Hmm, a lot of the note taking apps I've looked at this far kind of disappoint. Either too cluttered and unintuitive, or don't use iOS 9 multitasking well. I'm also someone who gives apps only a few moments of time before chucking, so ymmv. Goodnotes on the other hand is pretty dope. I think this will be the one. The continuous writing mode feature works very well.

Oh and it is pressure sensitive too.

japtor

Has anyone tried the pen with a screen protector?
Any decrease in detection or latency issues?
Some artist guy had a live stream linked a while back in this thread, he was using a matte screen protector. I think he said so his hand wouldn't stick/drag on the screen, and the texture made it feel a bit closer to paper. He didn't mention any complaints about it, although with matte I always wonder how much it affects the image quality like rainbow effect and what not.

RootCause

Some artist guy had a live stream linked a while back in this thread, he was using a matte screen protector. I think he said so his hand wouldn't stick/drag on the screen, and the texture made it feel a bit closer to paper. He didn't mention any complaints about it, although with matte I always wonder how much it affects the image quality like rainbow effect and what not.
Thats good to know. I would probably go for a clear one. Its the one i used for the air with very good results.

well Pro GAF, I'm onboard. Pencil and Keyboard are still extremely rare here (Montreal) but managed to snag a pencil from the Bestbuy online earlier in the week (thank you, saturday Holiday delivery)

1. Actually, after trying the keyboard in store I'm more or less a believer.

2. That being said I REALLY wish I could just buy the damn tilted plexiglass holder from the Apple Store display. That's the kind of nice subtle tilt that works for drawing.

3. I wish the OP added a big list of software. Struggling a bit to figure which ones are best for various uses (notation, drawing, marking up emails, etc) I assume there is a post in here somewhere that does more or less the same thing...(the list, I mean) Paper seems kinda crap to me so I'll look more closely at Procreate.

4. It seems much less huge now that I own it. It's still big, but totally agree with the comment about it actually making the iPad Mini seem phone sized.

Chao

Spent 20€ in astropad and it works like shit, wired or wifi. I can't draw with so much latency and pixels turn.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a demo version or anything and I feel like I've been ripped off a bit.

Can you ask for refund on apps or am I out of luck?

Spent 20€ in astropad and it works like shit, wired or wifi. I can't draw with so much latency and pixels turn.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a demo version or anything and I feel like I've been ripped off a bit.

Can you ask for refund on apps or am I out of luck?

Yep. You have to use the website or iTunes though. But I've found it pretty easy to get refunds for obvious issues (like my kid's games that stopped working in 9.x)

Tons of google results but here's one (link)

Chao

Yep. You have to use the website or iTunes though. But I've found it pretty easy to get refunds for obvious issues (like my kid's games that stopped working in 9.x)

Tons of google results but here's one (link)

Gave it a shot and it looks like they will refund the money in 5-7 days. Thank you!

I'm disappointed with how many apps still don't have native iPad Pro support and/or picture in picture, like Netflix.
duet is pretty cool, recommended as a great virtual monitor app.

Would not surprise me. And the eBay prices are just crazy too; lots going to auction.

Seems stores are still getting random shipments so that's an option. But the time between shipments is surprisingly big; two weeks for east coast Canada. Huge stock of Pros to sell that just aren't going anywhere with the pencils OOS

Speaking for metropolitan Texas, iPad Pros have been running low on inventory even with the big Pencil backlog.

I just had a rather entertaining experience where, as a favor for a friend, I shipped an iPad Pro with the least interesting case to Taipei City because they were completely out of stock in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Speaking for metropolitan Texas, iPad Pros have been running low on inventory even with the big Pencil backlog.

I just had a rather entertaining experience where, as a favor for a friend, I shipped an iPad Pro with the least interesting case to Taipei City because they were completely out of stock in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

That's surprising! I'm pretty sure I could walk into any Apple Store or Best Buy in most of the big Canadian cities and get the iPad Pro of my choice. Maybe stock on Gold is a bit lower but that's it. I wonder if they will try focusing on asian distro until they have enough Pencils for general stock - the fact that the pencil and keyboard are both unobtainable is a huge strike against them right now (although with the Canadian dollar being weak, the #1 strike is simply that they are displayed next to the Air 2 and Mini 4, both of which are obviously more affordable)

I wrote an alert that used the apple JSON URL each AM looking for "available for pickup", and snagged a pencil at my 2nd nearest store today.

Apple dude was all like: hmm looking at the price I think I know what this is nudge nudge it then appeared like they were handing me a golden sceptre or something.

I wrote an alert that used the apple JSON URL each AM looking for "available for pickup", and snagged a pencil at my 2nd nearest store today.

Apple dude was all like: hmm looking at the price I think I know what this is nudge nudge it then appeared like they were handing me a golden sceptre or something.
Yeah when I picked mine up I had three Apple employees around me asking me questions about the pro... While I was ripping it open smd stuffing everything into my pocket. Jeez dudes settle down!

That's surprising! I'm pretty sure I could walk into any Apple Store or Best Buy in most of the big Canadian cities and get the iPad Pro of my choice. Maybe stock on Gold is a bit lower but that's it. I wonder if they will try focusing on asian distro until they have enough Pencils for general stock - the fact that the pencil and keyboard are both unobtainable is a huge strike against them right now (although with the Canadian dollar being weak, the #1 strike is simply that they are displayed next to the Air 2 and Mini 4, both of which are obviously more affordable)

Allegedly, gold was the slowest to sell out this time. Speaking for Taiwan and Hong Kong again. Which is funny because I was under the impression that color was made for the Chinese and other east Asian markets.

Said friend just got a pencil and a keyboard after being told that there would be a 3 to 4 week shipping delay, so I think you might have been right. :)

Top Bottom