• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

dork

Banned
I need to invest in one of those stands that holds the ipad over you while you lay in bed. Fucking hurt my neck staring down at this thing laying in bed

Seems like a great device, the pen looks awesome, but I'm going to wait until programs like Maya and a fully featured Photoshop are on the device before thinking about this being a replacement for my surface pro down the line. Id imagine thats the long term point of this.

Also, since theres no file editing system, do professional programs on iOS have some sort file editing systems usually? Like being able to compress files and upload them to things like Google drive? Cause that's super important to me.

Deku Tree

Seems like a great device, the pen looks awesome, but I'm going to wait until programs like Maya and a fully featured Photoshop are on the device before thinking about this being a replacement for my surface pro down the line. Id imagine thats the long term point of this.

Also, since theres no file editing system, do professional programs on iOS have some sort file editing systems usually? Like being able to compress files and upload them to things like Google drive? Cause that's super important to me.

Usually I just use the file system within google drive. But yeah a lot of programs have their own internal file system and then you can import or export to your favorite cloud service provider.

japtor

Depends on the app, but there's more or less a filesystem (I think "storage provider") API now. Basically there's the standard iCloud file chooser, and other apps can access and extend that. Box and Dropbox do iirc for example, no clue about which other providers do but it's an open thing for third parties to access.

And it works for local storage too, I use PDF Expert, and the app storage/local files I store in there are accessible like the other cloud stuff in the same file picker UI.

Went to the Apple store and learned that there still aren't any keyboard cases in the city so I gave in and bought the Logitech keyboard. It adds more heft than I would like but I think it may actually be better for travelling. The backlight is nice as well.

Namikaze

How do y'all like it for drawing? I've been thinking about selling my Apple Watch and iPad mini for one. I don't really care for either of those devices anymore, they're slow. If I could use it for comics, drawing, and schoolwork, I could definitely justify the price for the 32GB.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Went to the Apple store and learned that there still aren't any keyboard cases in the city so I gave in and bought the Logitech keyboard. It adds more heft than I would like but I think it may actually be better for travelling. The backlight is nice as well.

Isn't it almost universally agreed that the Logitech keyboard is better? I haven't tried either yet myself.

How do y'all like it for drawing? I've been thinking about selling my Apple Watch and iPad mini for one. I don't really care for either of those devices anymore, they're slow. If I could use it for comics, drawing, and schoolwork, I could definitely justify the price for the 32GB.
Not a pro but I like it a lot. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube if you want to check out some demos.

RootCause

I need to invest in one of those stands that holds the ipad over you while you lay in bed. Fucking hurt my neck staring down at this thing laying in bed
The pillow like cases? I've always wanted one of those. Should help a ton with the larger display.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have just measured out that ipad pro would fit juuust right in the iCade enclosure, just sticking up a bit vertically, but the screen would literally fill the whole available space. $800 to play arcade games and video pinballs on a mini cabinet though... :\

Probably already answered. but how does pro behave with the games that are made to run on a regular ipad? Does it upscale well?

Phreaker

iPad Neck? I guess you want one of these?

iPad%20Stand%209.jpg

MrBigBoy

I have just measured out that ipad pro would fit juuust right in the iCade enclosure, just sticking up a bit vertically, but the screen would literally fill the whole available space. $800 to play arcade games and video pinballs on a mini cabinet though... :

Probably already answered. but how does pro behave with the games that are made to run on a regular ipad? Does it upscale well?
When using apps with lots of text, and holding the iPP from anormal distance to your eyes you can barely notice, but a little closer you can see the text getting a little blurry.

Unoptimized games look fine though

Carlisle

Isn't it almost universally agreed that the Logitech keyboard is better? I haven't tried either yet myself.

I think just about any other keyboard is better if you're looking to use the iPad more efficiently. The Smart Keyboard oddly lacks several function keys that you'll find on nearly every other competing product: home/esc button, volume controls, lock button, play/pause/next/prev, etc. The Smart Keyboard is great and tucks away really sleekly, but I would seriously miss those keys coming from an Air 2 with a third party BT keyboard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The smart keyboard is kinda garbage which is super surprising and disappointing coming from Apple.

I really didn't like it from what I tried in the Apple Store. It was fiddly, didn't offer protection against the back of the iPad, and just wasn't a nice feeling keyboard at all. Missing a lot of functionality keys that would be a big benefit, too.

The Logitech one, on the other hand, looks really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbz_Mplaf7A

The smart keyboard is kinda garbage which is super surprising and disappointing coming from Apple.
It was obviously designed to be as thin and light as possible, almost like the normal Smart Cover. I know I wouldn't want one of those large heavy Logitech things attached to my iPad all the time, even though it's a better keyboard (and it's supposedly hard to remove due to being a whole encompassing case, which I don't want)

sirap

Smart cover is garbage, and this is coming from a guy who willingly used the SP1 touch cover.

Logitech's version is better if you actually give a damn about typing, but it's ergonomics can be a bit unwieldy.

I've decided to mod a HHKB2 with Bluetooth for the ultimate writing experience.

Really wish there was a 64 gab version.

I've used about 30ish gb on my Air 2 and it's about a 300$ jump with taxes going from 32 to 128

Mr Swine

Banned
Does the extra 2GB ram help on image heavy sites like Flickr and on negative pages where there are lots of pictures, gifs and YouTube links? Always seems to crash on my Air 1

Finally got my hands on a Pencil today and I'm really impressed. I know it isn't news to anyone reading this, but it's really what makes the Pro special. In a more just world it'd be included with the iPad Pro, but Apple's gonna Apple. I'm also super impressed with Procreate. I can't believe an app that nice is just $5.99. It makes Adobe Sketch look really lame by comparison.

the pencil production problems coupled with those leeches that sniff out any profit in purchase-for-resale, has got to be limiting iPad pro sales. I was going to get one today but then looked at the "4-5 week" lead time for ordering a pencil (only online) and the ridiculous ebay prices. I just backed away :( Without the pencil it is just an bigger iPad air without force touch.

sarcastor

So split screen only works horizontal. Wtf?

There goes my dream of browsing the internet while watching a movie in portrait mode the way God intended

Some app allows you to play videos on a popup window but you can't control the size :(

There goes my dream of browsing the internet while watching a movie in portrait mode the way God intended

Some app allows you to play videos on a popup window but you can't control the size :(

On my Air 2 you can split-screen in portrait

KtSlime

You should be able to control the size by pinching.

You can shrink a movie player down and move it around. You're not limited to one side.

How much RAM is in this thing? I'm utterly disappointed in my iPhone 6 Pro due to having only 1GB of RAM, that with the high DPI and the larger screen browsers literally cannot load most webpages without crashing. It's such a fundamental design flaw that I honestly think Apple should do a recall. but anyway, I'm stuck with this hunk of shit that can't load a webpage without crashing now, and I'm curious if this is still an issue on the iPad Pro.

So if my math is correctly that 767 bytes / pixel, compared to 517 bytes / pixel on the iPhone 6 Pro.

Not that bytes / pixel is a very meaningful comparison, but I don't know of a better way to measure whether or not browser memory problems will continue to be a probelm with the iPad Pro.

I've been trying different drawing apps with the Pencil and I actually really like Adobe Draw. I even managed a doodle of Cyclops I'm pretty happy with:

How much RAM is in this thing? I'm utterly disappointed in my iPhone 6 Pro due to having only 1GB of RAM, that with the high DPI and the larger screen browsers literally cannot load most webpages without crashing. It's such a fundamental design flaw that I honestly think Apple should do a recall. but anyway, I'm stuck with this hunk of shit that can't load a webpage without crashing now, and I'm curious if this is still an issue on the iPad Pro.

You mean the iPhone 6+? The newer iPhone 6s+ has 2GB of RAM and it has pretty much resolved the memory issues present in the original 6+. As for the iPad Pro, the performance has been nice and smooth for me.

Top Bottom