• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'd agree if it weren't for the white around the screen.
yep,
I think it's time the silver color way of iThings to get the black screen back. Leave white on gold and pink if you must.

Wonder if they will go to all black screens on iPhones or iPads if they ever adopt oled style screens. None of the Apple watches have white glass for a reason. Black on gold and pink still looks good.

Dead

well not really...yet
FInally found a pencil today

Very impressed with the precision, and how effortlessly it glides over the screen with little to no pressure. Won't pretend to be an expert on Styli, but this is easily the best I've ever laid my hands on.

Idk if this is the right place to post it but I am utterly disgusted with apple products. My wife's iPhone burned itself out a few months back, she finally got an iPhone 6.

Well they had a $100 for an iPad mini 2 offer. We did that this weekend to have a tablet for our daughter to do kids apps and learning stuff on.

Now about 2 days later the lightning adapter has black marks on it and I'm going to have to pay $20 for another one of these crappy cables that just breaks devices and corrodes itself eventually.

What the hell is wrong with apple that they can't just use USB?

Guess Who

Banned
Idk if this is the right place to post it but I am utterly disgusted with apple products. My wife's iPhone burned itself out a few months back, she finally got an iPhone 6.

Well they had a $100 for an iPad mini 2 offer. We did that this weekend to have a tablet for our daughter to do kids apps and learning stuff on.

Now about 2 days later the lightning adapter has black marks on it and I'm going to have to pay $20 for another one of these crappy cables that just breaks devices and corrodes itself eventually.

One, if a Lightning cable is getting burn marks on it you've probably got bigger problems. That should really not happen. Are you using the charger that came with the iPad?

Two, don't buy official Apple Lightning cables. Monoprice has officially licensed ones for way cheaper.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=112&cp_id=11222

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Here are several years of iPad apps selection:

wIGyATF.jpg

I love my setup.

If you got it 2 days ago it should be covered under the iPad's warranty. Just go to the Genius Bar and get it swapped

Edit: Assuming it's the official charger it came with, of course

Why is the keyboard in US layout only for UK?
What would Apple do this? Very frustrating.

Literally the only difference between this and a UK Mac keyboard layout is that there's a $ instead of a £ on '3', the enter key is a rectangle instead of a 'L' shape and the ] keys are one up as a result.
The difference between UK and US layouts is hardly radically different. Especially on a Mac. I've wrote this on the very keyboard in question.

They obviously wanted to test the waters before creating layouts for different countries. Hold fast if it matters to you that much. if it sells, a U.K. Spec one will probably come out. I can imagine this being a massive frustration to someone from France/Spain/Poland etc, but I was actually glad to find out the layout differences are hardly much of a big deal at all between UK/US. Especially as the Mac UK layout has the different placement of @ historically anyway.

UK Gaf with this KB as well, you probably already know, but Option+3 for £ symbol.

If you got it 2 days ago it should be covered under the iPad's warranty. Just go to the Genius Bar and get it swapped

Edit: Assuming it's the official charger it came with, of course

Yes, the official charger.

Looking forward to wasting an hour at the mall for them to question me on it and maybe replace it.

Here are several years of iPad apps selection:

wIGyATF.jpg

I love my setup.

So much wasted space, my biggest pet peeve is the stupid limit they put on the folders.

I'm trying to figure out if I should get an Air 2 or kick up nearly double the amount (in Australia) for the Pro. It'll be used as a laptop replacement for when i'm away from my desktop, and for keeping recipe & workflow records at work, but i'm trying to get an idea of how the extra size is going for people? Is it annoying? Liberating? Not much of an upgrade from an Air?

Also, how important is it to have the 128gig over the 32gig? My phone is 128 gig and only ever half full till I download tonnes of offline songs for spotify. What do people fill their ipads up with?

The extra size is awesome. Split screen is amazing multitasking. This has replaced my laptop completely, but yymv.

Re: space. Honestly, it depends on what you want out of it. I could easily see 32 gb being more than enough for someone who is using it as a streaming/consumption device. I went with 128 because I want to store a lot of data on the machine, since I'm taking this to places where I will have limited wifi access...

If I didn't store all that crap on there 32 would be just fine. I think most stores are offering holiday return windows, so get 32 and if you yearn for more or it doesn't click return it.

Thanks for that, good to see how you're using it.

I guess my other worry is hows the weight? Maybe it might be slightly less practical to watch stuff in bed, use to read things with and to carry around. Is it a good alternative for an Air 2 AND a laptop?

It's about the weight of the iPad 2, and feels incredibly light since the weight is balanced very well. I use it all the time in bed, no issues, but poking things at the bottom of the screen can be slightly cumbersome due to blankets and angles etc.

marc^o^

What a bummer!
I don't see much difference in the interface. And none once the stream starts, it's beautiful on this screen. Multitasking is long overdue though.

I discovered iCab yesterday, which is simply the best browser on any platform I have ever seen.

I don't see much difference in the interface. And none once the stream starts, it's beautiful on this screen. Multitasking is long overdue though.

I discovered iCab yesterday, which is simply the best browser on any platform I have ever seen.

Well im aiming to get one for music apps, controlling logic and working on artwork / drawing. My only misgiving is it might be a bit big, but it seems its not too cumbersome.

Moreche

I have an issue with my iPad pro in that when I turn on reduce white point in accessibility contrast settings, it doesn't seem to make any difference but on my iPhone it works by dimming the display.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Finally got one using Christmas money. This thing is pretty amazing so far. Was lucky enough to score a Smart Keyboard and I have a pencil coming on the way. So far don't really miss my MBPr, especially with the keyboard, which is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Lap ability is great in bed and doubles as an awesome stand for viewing at a perfect angle! Really excited for a pencil. Between this and my incoming iMac I will be set.

Yeah, I went in too. Amazing unit, and glad I never got an ipad till they made this size. The smaller ones never seemed too useful to me. Logic Pro Remote on this thing is a dream!

Wondering, has anyone used Astropad to play games off their Mac?

marc^o^

I was lucky to be granted a beta access to the iPad Pro beta version of the best comic app: Chunky.

The new upscale is magic, words can't convey how good comics and mangas look on this screen through this app!

Deku Tree

Anyone try using TexPad for LaTeX on iPad Pro with the apple keyboard?

https://www.texpadapp.com

I tried using the apple iPad pro keyboard at the Apple Store yesterday and it was surprisingly good to me.

I use LaTeX and I was wondering how this TexPad program does for LaTeX on iPad? Are there any other better LaTeX programs on iPad or iOS?

Thanks!

Moreche

I'm really enjoying the pro for its screen size and speakers but I've no one interest in the pencil and I know the iPad Air 3 won't have the bigger battery and four speakers so I'm sticking with it.

Fox1304

finally had a chance to try the Pencil in-store. It's way ahead of everything I've tried about digital stylus (including Surface Pro 3 Stylus).
I've never before been able to write on a tablet in an identical way as on paper. Even when writing very small, which normally makes the stylus recognition crazy on nearly everything I've tried, it was precise, without noticeable delay, and just a smooth evpercience.
Just waiting for a small discount and iPad + Pencil will be mine.
The keyboard on the other side ... just horrendous. Being QWERTY on a AZERTY country shouldn't even be allowed, and that folding system isn't satisfying at all.

marc^o^

Yeah it's my only real beef. It can't even charge when the screen is at max brightness. Overnight it's no issue, but the slow charging kinda reduces the laptop replacement angle.
It lasts so long though, so much more than all laptops I previously had. I'm fully okay to charge it for <5h if I get >10h of use. It means you need to create an habit of charging it at night, which is manageable.

This issue has halted my plans to get one

The Lightning port must have a current limitation that makes it unsuitable for larger batteries. Micro-usb has an even more severe current limit of 1.9amps, but 12w is not much more than that. A Mac Pro has a 60w charger and a battery that is less than double the iPad pro in size. It gets the ratio right.

If the internal iPad pro battery is 39wh then 12w is going to take over 4 hours with a taper. The puzzle is if the iPad pro can run for 10 hours then it must be taking 4w, leaving 8w for charging - therefore it should charge while plugged in, but some people claim it just treads water.

They should have added a MagSafe or usb-c port like the MacBook. This sucks.

Deku Tree

This issue has halted my plans to get one

The Lightning port must have a current limitation that makes it unsuitable for larger batteries. Micro-usb has an even more severe current limit of 1.9amps, but 12w is not much more than that. A Mac Pro has a 60w charger and a battery that is less than double the iPad pro in size. It gets the ratio right.

If the internal iPad pro battery is 39wh then 12w is going to take over 4 hours with a taper. The puzzle is if the iPad pro can run for 10 hours then it must be taking 4w, leaving 8w for charging - therefore it should charge while plugged in, but some people claim it just treads water.

They should have added a MagSafe or usb-c port like the MacBook. This sucks.

Hopefully the issue is fixed with the iPad Pro 2.

Mines been on 9 hours overnight, started at 10% and is now at 80%. Ive heard it speeds up after several charges but its pretty annoying. Ill just have to do more half charges till it gets better

Deku Tree

So we’ve all heard that the iPad Pro is slow to charge, but I’ve been doing some research on the actual numbers and have had some interesting findings. I’m the developer of a battery/charging information app on the App Store called Battery Health and so I am often looking at the innards of iOS devices in terms of batteries and power management. This research is based on live stats reported by the internal charger device driver on the iPad Pro.

iOS devices ship with an internal charger chip (that's inside the device, NOT the power adapter that ships with it) that is configured to charge the battery at certain rates, depending on several factors. Battery charging speeds are typically measured by a unit called C, which is basically a fraction of the total capacity of the battery. For example, a 1000mAh battery that charges at 0.5C indicates that we’re charging it with a 500mA current, or half of its capacity. The higher the charging current, the faster the battery gets charged. For most iOS devices, the base charging rate for the constant current stage (the early, fast stage in the charging process) is around 0.55-0.65C.

For example, The iPhone 6 Plus has a 2855mAh battery and it charges at a maximum current of 1730mA, or about 0.60C. The iPhone 6s Plus has a slightly smaller 2725mAh battery, and its maximum charging current is 1790mA, or about 0.65C, so it charges a bit faster than the 6 Plus. Some Android phones will go much faster, up to .80C or even 1C. The catch is that faster charging shortens the overall life of the battery, so quite honestly Apple is playing it very safe with these kind of numbers, which is why their batteries tend to last so long.

Now, the iPad Pro has a gigantic 10,088mAh (38.3W) battery, but its maximum input current at the USB port is only 2400mA (12W, same as all other recent iPads). When you charge an iPad Pro, its charger is configured at 0.55C, same as many other iOS devices. The problem is that with a 10,088mAh battery, that comes to 5560mA, or 28W.

This means that the iPad Pro technically needs a 28W charger to charge at optimal speed — at the INTENDED speed. The 12W charger it ships with is only supplying 40% of the current required to charge it at maximum speed.

What’s more alarming is the fact that if you push the Pro hard (full screen brightness, LTE video streaming, etc.), its current draw sometimes actually reaches 2400mA! This means that you could be plugged in with the 12W Apple brick while using it, and the battery won’t actually get charged.

Note that as best as I can tell, the device is configured for a maximum input current of 2400mA at the Lightening port (again, that’s what the device is reporting), so be wary of any 3rd party chargers that claim to charge it faster than the stock charger. I’ve not seen anything like that, but it seems like a likely scam…

For now, the bottom line is, make sure to charge your iPad Pro while it is in standby with the screen turned off. It will barely charge while being used, even with the 12W charger.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/yes-the-ipad-pro-charges-slowly-here’s-why.1939002/

the thing about the 12w only treading water doesn't square with the battery life specs. If the battery can last 8 hours, and everyone seems to think that is fair, then the 12w charger should be able to charge the iPad pro while in use during that time - obviously, as the battery would not last 8 hours if the average draw was 12w - it is a 38Wh battery, so it would then drain in about 3 hours.
Ok there is some inefficiency as well however it should still charge while being used @ 12w.

Top Bottom