• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got this $3 pen holder for my cover, it's perfect.

4gMKnle.jpg

qloqj5b.jpg

Keio

For a Finer World
Are there any games yet that make it feel worth owning a Pro?

I love the screen for video and comics.

And the Pencil is great with Paper.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Are there any games yet that make it feel worth owning a Pro?

I love the screen for video and comics.

And the Pencil is great with Paper.
Power Hover is quite something on this screen with the speakers. Geometry Wars 3 also has an exclusive & excellent 2 players mode.

I got this $3 pen holder for my cover, it's perfect

The magnet does the job for me, and I just chuck it in my pen holder in my bag

A few weeks with the pro and it's an amazing device. A true laptop replacement if you have a desktop for the big tasks. Plus it's great with a Bluetooth keyboard.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Woot just bought the apple pencil! Now I just need to buy the iPad pro lol.

After extensive testing of the surface pro and cintiq companion I decided to go with the iPad for my on the road and couch drawing needs :)

My reasons:

Size, weight and battery life. Quiet operation and ease of use in a tablet form factor. Pencil feels great!

Best of all I have a cintiq already when I need heavy duty work done.

Woot just bought the apple pencil! Now I just need to buy the iPad pro lol.

After extensive testing of the surface pro and cintiq companion I decided to go with the iPad for my on the road and couch drawing needs :)

My reasons:

Size, weight and battery life. Quiet operation and ease of use in a tablet form factor. Pencil feels great!

Best of all I have a cintiq already when I need heavy duty work done.

Procreate is an amazing app with the Pencil. I've been drawing every night with it and loving every second of it.

It's bizarre that the smart covers stand puts the inside of the cover down on whatever surface it's on. Picks up everything, should be the outside.

Servbot24

Banned
Got Duet Display, it's pretty nice. Not sure how much it will fit into my workflow though - I'm mainly using it to have reference images which I could just do with iOS.

Jigolo

hey guys just curious how well the speakers are on this. considering buying the ipad air 3 which has the same ones

Weevilone

hey guys just curious how well the speakers are on this. considering buying the ipad air 3 which has the same ones

They are far better than anything an iPad had before, but they're still speakers in a tablet. For watching videos and the like, they're great imo.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone have issues, especially on the full Gaf site, in Safari where after a while pages will stop loading all the way. Meaning as you scroll down it's a white screen until you pause?

It works fine for a while, then does it. I assume a ram issue?

Fox1304

Had a scare today, my Pencil wasn't working and the iPad displayed "Unofficial accessory" message when plugging it, wouldn't pair or anything.
Managed to get it back by removing it from paired devices, and charging it through a lightning cable with the dongle.

On another point, the Surface Pro 3 pen holder does wonder with the iPad Pro, perfect fit.

Only problem I've had with the pen is that if the tip is not screwed in fully, it just flat out isn't recognized. Kinda weird, but so far not enough to get a replacement.

e_i

Just bought one through Verizon. I a couple questions:

What's a good dual screen app that works with Mac and Windows 10.
What apps work in dual screen mode?

Hawk Fan

Neo Member
I'm about to get one of these. I've recently gotten more into iOS gaming with my iPhone 5s. How do you decide which games you are going to play on iPad vs iPhone? I would imagine most games would be better on the iPad, but are there exceptions? I like that I always have my iPhone with me and can play for a few minutes when I have down time, and I suspect that my iPad will compete more with the Vita for my attention with games. So that means I usually use the iPhone without sound/headphones when I'm away from home. Any suggestions?

I'm about to get one of these. I've recently gotten more into iOS gaming with my iPhone 5s. How do you decide which games you are going to play on iPad vs iPhone? I would imagine most games would be better on the iPad, but are there exceptions? I like that I always have my iPhone with me and can play for a few minutes when I have down time, and I suspect that my iPad will compete more with the Vita for my attention with games. So that means I usually use the iPhone without sound/headphones when I'm away from home. Any suggestions?

It feels like most universal apps have cloud saves so you don't really have to make that decision most of the time.

Just bought one through Verizon. I a couple questions:

What's a good dual screen app that works with Mac and Windows 10.
What apps work in dual screen mode?

Most people recommend DuetDisplay. I bought it when it was on sale and have yet to try it

I just tried one of these at the Apple store with a Pencil and I am floored. It felt so natural to draw unlike any other stylus I've used. It wasn't literally lagless but it was fast to the point where I wasn't paying attention to it. And the shading was so great and easy, no more fiddling around with stencil settings in Manga Pro for me!

I should really wait to buy one but you can get the 128gb model for $840 on ebay right now and it's really tempting.

I just tried one of these at the Apple store with a Pencil and I am floored. It felt so natural to draw unlike any other stylus I've used. It wasn't literally lagless but it was fast to the point where I wasn't paying attention to it. And the shading was so great and easy, no more fiddling around with stencil settings in Manga Pro for me!

I should really wait to buy one but you can get the 128gb model for $840 on ebay right now and it's really tempting.

I'm actually excited to go back to school and use it for note-taking. Notability got me like "Let's do this"

Cursor movement and placement still sucks beyond belief. Fucking ios. Now about a month in though, the pro is a godsend when using a keyboard or the pencil. Glad i waited for a bigger ipad.

Blackhead

Redarse
iOS 9.3 Removes Pencil Interface Control

mjtsai said:
Juli Clover (via Mike Rundle):

Over the course of the iOS 9.3 beta testing period, iPad Pro users running the update have noticed a disturbing feature removal that limits the functionality of the Apple Pencil. In the current version of iOS, iOS 9.2, the Apple Pencil can be used for navigational purposes, just like a finger. It’s possible to tap on buttons, select text, scroll, swipe between apps, access menus, and access general editing controls in non-drawing apps.

With iOS 9.3, much of that functionality has been removed. The Apple Pencil is no longer able to be used for selecting and manipulating text or doing things like scrolling -- it’s only available for selecting buttons and drawing, sketching, and writing within apps.​

Serenity Caldwell:

But the fact remains that the Pencil’s owners use those navigation options, and frankly, the idea that Apple would take away functionality that people have come to expect and depend on is a significant hit to usability and overall experience.

Worse, it makes the Pencil useless for video and audio editing, creative pursuits that I’d hoped to explore further on the iPad Pro. I’d initially enjoyed editing and cutting several videos in iMovie for iOS with the help of the Pencil; now, you can only select and drag clips. You can’t cut a clip with the downward swipe gesture, nor can you scroll the timeline.​

Being able to control the interface and manipulate text with the pencil was one of my favorite features of the iPad Pro.

I would say I'm not updating, because I love using the pencil like that

On the other hand, I need night shift. Like, need it

Currently I'm just pissed at Apple for removing that functionality

Well that's dumb. I'd have hoped they'd be adding more functionality to this "Pro" device. One thing I know is gonna piss me off when I get this thing is lack of file management.

Bashtee

Just got my Pro and Pencil today, not sure if I keep it. Size is perfect to read documents, will try Office 365 with it. Speakers are really good. Not sure if it is worth the money, though.

Futureman

so there's still no direct way to create a Photoshop doc with layers with Adobe's app? You have to use something like ProCreate which can export a .psd?

Top Bottom