• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Question about the Apple Pencil.
How much does the cap wobble on yours? Mine feels pretty loose...I mean it does not fall off, without me pulling it but I thought I ask you ^.^
mine has a little bit of wiggle, but it's never felt at risk of going loose on it's own. i'd watch the tip (ahem), I have a tendency of twisting it slightly loose and tight during use, and I've lost it in my bag a few times.

Typing this on the 9.7 Smart Keyboard. Really impressed with how easy it is to type on this thing. The fact that it can fold up into a Smart Cover is pretty amazing too.

Typing this on the 9.7 Smart Keyboard. Really impressed with how easy it is to type on this thing. The fact that it can fold up into a Smart Cover is pretty amazing too.

I don't have huge hands, but I feel that 9.7 Smart Keyboard is really cramped, I keep hitting the wrong button/key, make mistakes which does not happen as often as when I use a tradional keyboard. I had the larger iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard previously and I thought that was much easier to type on. May have to go back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it just me that finds the new 9.7" pro to get dirty fingerprints on the screen way easier than the old iPad Air? Mine has an almost constant glaze on it which is very noticeable, whereas on the air I'd have only the occasional smudge and a few dots where I'd been typing a lot

Battery life right out of the box got me 12.5 hrs with 10% left. I'm impressed.

Is it just me that finds the new 9.7" pro to get dirty fingerprints on the screen way easier than the old iPad Air? Mine has an almost constant glaze on it which is very noticeable, whereas on the air I'd have only the occasional smudge and a few dots where I'd been typing a lot

Haven't really noticed. Maybe some new anti reflective coating? I don't know. Pulling stuff out of the air here. Ha.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

mhh not really. I mean we have an ipad mini 2 here and two iphones. they all get fingerprints as fast as my new ipad pro.

Majine

Banned
Maybe you've gotten dirtier ;)

Or maybe it's just sadder to see a brand new device all smudged up, and it's affecting your judgment.

Does anyone know if you can use Dvorak keyboard with external keyboards with the iPad Pro?

I want to pick one up as soon as there's a Scrivener app for iOS so I can both write and do visual art on the same portable, but I've gotten terribly proficient with Dvorak and it's much more natural for me now.

Following up with the question about Dvorak input with external keyboards. Does anyone else use Dvorak and iPad Pro and an external keyboard who could let me know?

Majine

Banned
Can I just say how much I love the Apple Pencil. Doesn't feel like a stylus. Feels like a writing utensil.

Yeah, this is Apple at their best. Hardware and software working together to create something that feels seemless yet precise.

I just wish I could do more in iOS with it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a 128gb space gray IPad Pro 9.7" yesterday to upgrade from my iPad Air. Got the keyboard case as well. I love it so far, especially the keyboard case and how much faster it is than my Air.

Edit: did a few hours of writing out in my screen room today to put the keyboard to the test. I really like it! After ten minutes or so I was typing at pretty much my usual speed/accuracy.

Sh0k

Does anybody has a problem with the iPad Pro 9.7 randomly resetting from time to time? It happened to me 3-4 times already doing random stuff and my Dad got one iPad Pro too and he is experiencing the same problem. I upgraded from an iPad Air and never had that problem before.

Giolon

Does anybody has a problem with the iPad Pro 9.7 randomly resetting from time to time? It happened to me 3-4 times already doing random stuff and my Dad got one iPad Pro too and he is experiencing the same problem. I upgraded from an iPad Air and never had that problem before.

Yes, I see it a couple times a week. What's interesting though is that when it happens, it doesn't require a passcode login. TouchID still works.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I experienced this on my iPad Mini 4 also.

My 12.9 seems to do this randomly. Sometimes it'll require the passcode again like it did a full reboot, sometimes I'll just hear the chime like it was unplugged and plugged back in to power but I didn't touch it

Has never done it while I was using it, only when it's put away, which is odd. I can use it for hours and hours on end and nothing happens

Got the 9.7 last week as I wanted to get back into drawing and finally had some time to sketch and stuff over the weekend. Really loving it so far as the pencil feels amazingly natural with the resistance being just right!

26771978200_2b3ae4f65f_z.jpg

26951992972_7ae954094c_z.jpg

Used Adobe Sketch and Illustrator Draw and enjoyed the results, but the limitations on layers and others features are annoying. I heard good things about Autodesk Graphic for vector art. Does anyone know how good it is in comparison to Illustrator Draw, not so much in the feature set but in the "feel," if there's any other way to put it. I already have Procreate from a purchase ages ago.

Got the 9.7 last week as I wanted to get back into drawing and finally had some time to sketch and stuff over the weekend. Really loving it so far as the pencil feels amazingly natural with the resistance being just right!

26771978200_2b3ae4f65f_z.jpg

Nice, the pencils on the left are a photo from what you drew on paper, right?

anyone has any idea if this is getting a refresh at the later half of the year? Wanna get a 12" but can wait fir a refresh. Thx.

Unlikely. The 9.7 is now the Pro and the 12.9 now has the 256GB option, so basically the iPad lineup has already seen two refreshes in less than a year. My guess is the iPhone 7 gets the A10 since it will be super supply constrained anyway, and the iPad refresh is now a spring thing since they don't have much to upgrade but the processor. (They still haven't figured out 3D Touch at scale, it has plenty of RAM, only other thing left is even better non reflective coat and adaptive colors)

Just bought the IPad Pro 9.7" 256 GB Cellular for $100 off at Best Buy. Coming from an IPad 3rd generation. First impressions is how much thinner and lighter it is. Speakers are an amazing upgrade. I can't wait to test out an ethernet adapter with camera adapter.

killercow

Unlikely. The 9.7 is now the Pro and the 12.9 now has the 256GB option, so basically the iPad lineup has already seen two refreshes in less than a year. My guess is the iPhone 7 gets the A10 since it will be super supply constrained anyway, and the iPad refresh is now a spring thing since they don't have much to upgrade but the processor. (They still haven't figured out 3D Touch at scale, it has plenty of RAM, only other thing left is even better non reflective coat and adaptive colors)

I do believe we'll see an iPad Pro 2 (12") this fall. Would make sense to keep it there and to upgrade other iPad in the Spring.

I do believe we'll see an iPad Pro 2 (12") this fall. Would make sense to keep it there and to upgrade other iPad in the Spring.

I don't think it's impossible, but my assumption is that now that iPad Pro is a unified "next iPad" line, I think they update them together, and that update point should be 2017, when they are no longer completely supply constrained on the A10. You could be right, of course, but that's my hunch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone having problems updating to 9.3.2? Keeps failing the verification, saying I am no longer connected to the Internet. 9.7" pro..

SuperPac

Anyone having problems updating to 9.3.2? Keeps failing the verification, saying I am no longer connected to the Internet. 9.7" pro..

The 9.7" Pro had a buncha problems with 9.3.2 - it bricked mine, and Apple sent me a new one. Yesterday they pulled the update off their servers for iPad Pro 9.7" because of that issue. If you were halfway through it you may be hosed. Either way, don't update yet.

http://www.imore.com/apple-comments-error-56-looking-reports-affected-ipads

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 9.7" Pro had a buncha problems with 9.3.2 - it bricked mine, and Apple sent me a new one. Yesterday they pulled the update off their servers for iPad Pro 9.7" because of that issue. If you were halfway through it you may be hosed. Either way, don't update yet.

http://www.imore.com/apple-comments-error-56-looking-reports-affected-ipads

Wow. Thanks. No, it wouldn't verify the download so I guess they've done something on the server even though this has downloaded. Will ignore the constant upgrade prompts for now.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone got experience anotating PDFs with the Apple Pencil? Is it good? Like good enough to replace physical textbooks good?

jts

...hate me...
PDF Expert got an Apple Pencil update recently.
I guess what I really would like to know is how it feels to write with the Apple Pencil, especially at a smaller scale, like filling out a PDF form for example.

Granted, I should just try it out for myself. But until then, ya know.

I guess what I really would like to know is how it feels to write with the Apple Pencil, especially at a smaller scale, like filling out a PDF form for example.

Granted, I should just try it out for myself. But until then, ya know.

Works perfect. I'm honestly blown away by the Apple Pencil. Taking notes this week at a conference and used it exclusively for handwriting, diagramming, etc. Doesn't matter the size of the scale you're writing on. It "feels" incredible.

What note taking apps are you peeps in college using? I've been bouncing between Goodnotes and Notability, both of which I have purchased. Pretty much if Notability had the searchable handwriting that Goodnotes has I wouldn't even be in this predicament

What note taking apps are you peeps in college using? I've been bouncing between Goodnotes and Notability, both of which I have purchased. Pretty much if Notability had the searchable handwriting that Goodnotes has I wouldn't even be in this predicament

I work on a campus and notability has been awesome for meeting notes and grading papers. Also for marking up imported articles. Love it.

I work on a campus and notability has been awesome for meeting notes and grading papers. Also for marking up imported articles. Love it.

I basically decided I'll use Goodnotes for handwritten notes (it just feels better to write with, plus has that text conversion and searching) and Notability for typing up and making study guides out of my notes

I can't wait to start using my iPad Pro as a productivity device and not just a comic reader

jts

...hate me...
Works perfect. I'm honestly blown away by the Apple Pencil. Taking notes this week at a conference and used it exclusively for handwriting, diagramming, etc. Doesn't matter the size of the scale you're writing on. It "feels" incredible.
Thanks, sounds amazing.

I was debating going from the 13" to the 10", but I don't think I could do it. The big advantage over the smaller size is that it's easier to fit in bags and take to class, but everything else is a drawback. The screen size is great for projects and art, watching video, using it as a monitor with Duet Display

I think I'm hooked on this size

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just impulse bought the iPad Pro 12.9"

What are some must have accessories? Any recommended screen protectors and cases?

Definitely get the pencil. Can't say much for the smart keyboard since I really don't need it on my 9.7".

If you want some super fast charging, look at the USB-C to lightning adapter and the 29W USB-C power adapter: https://www.macstories.net/ios/testing-apples-29w-usb-c-power-adapter-and-ipad-pro-fast-charging/

2016-03-29-151023.jpeg

I have the USB-C and 29W charger and it is TOTALLY worth it, honestly. Can't recommend it enough

I used the 12.9" and the Apple Pencil for the first time in class yesterday as my sole note taking device, loved every second of it. GoodNotes (the app I was using) is really intuitive and I was able to dynamically resize things to get more space, zoom in close for the details, etc. can't wait to keep doing it. The large screen area to write with was a huge benefit, glad I stayed with the big one instead of jumping ship to the 9.7"

Top Bottom