• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Are screen protectors essential for the 12.9" pro?

I have 2 years warranty, and have a glass one on my iPhone, but the ones that came for my Pro today were paper thin and already had dust on

Are screen protectors essential for the 12.9" pro?

I have 2 years warranty, and have a glass one on my iPhone, but the ones that came for my Pro today were paper thin and already had dust on

I never get screen protectors on any of my devices, so my answer is always going to be a resounding "No, they're not essential"

what kind of case are you guys using for your Pros? I just bought the 12.9 one from best buy the other day and need a case that is good in case I drop it since in the past I have when watching in bed lol

might need to get a screen protector since I am shook the pencil will scratch the screen a lot? Like using a stylus on a DS screen haha

what kind of case are you guys using for your Pros? I just bought the 12.9 one from best buy the other day and need a case that is good in case I drop it since in the past I have when watching in bed lol

might need to get a screen protector since I am shook the pencil will scratch the screen a lot? Like using a stylus on a DS screen haha
None; rocking it bare. Pencil hasn't done anything to the screen on mine.

I just use the standard non-keyboard case from Apple unless I'm on a business trip and don't feel like bringing my laptop in which case I'll switch it out for the Logitech Create. I agree with Mac on the screen protector front, it's for losers and anyone who uses one should be ashamed of themselves.

Fox1304

Where the hell are my AZERTY keyboard and my non-Apple Smart Cover ? It's been months, I can't believe we still don't have those.

Don't get a screen protector

I have this case: http://www.senacases.com/vettra-ipad-pro

Pricey, but I like it a lot. Tons of viewing angles, a pencil holder, and the leather just feels nice

Honestly though, get AppleCare+. Like don't even think twice about it. If you feel at all like you're gonna drop it, case or no, buy it. $50 repair versus $600

Chanser

http://patchworks.us/collections/ipad-pro-series

Own the 9.7 inch case, pretty good so far.

sarcastor

I bought a case from Amazon for $15. Works great, and it comes in a bunch of different colors. Even has a thing to hold my Pencil :)

AvPlayer HD just got a new update, so now it supports split screen and PiP. Plays most movie formats, has hand gestures, and several streaming options too. Totally worth the $3

screen480x480.jpeg

I'm thinking of upgrading my iPad 2 to the 9.7 iPad Pro. Even basic tasks, like browsing the internet or opening YouTube, would cause the entire thing to crash. Should I go for the iPad Pro or get the cheaper iPad Air 2?

Ideally, I'd want something relatively future proof, like how the iPad 2 was (and not like the iPad 3).

I'm thinking of upgrading my iPad 2 to the 9.7 iPad Pro. Even basic tasks, like browsing the internet or opening YouTube, would cause the entire thing to crash. Should I go for the iPad Pro or get the cheaper iPad Air 2?

Ideally, I'd want something relatively future proof, like how the iPad 2 was (and not like the iPad 3).

iPad Pro in my opinion. Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support. Plus the True Tone display is so easy on the eyes. It's also super fast.

If cost is a factor then Air 2 is a solid choice though.

grmlin

We went from an iPad 3 to the new Pro 9.7 (as the 3 is one slow old thing thats almost exclusively used by my son to listen to audiobooks or watch Netflix).

Woah what a beast that Pro ist. Amazing device. The only thing that's worse is the battery, I have the feeling our old 3 still does better).

Chances of an ipad pro 2 this year? If not I am buying an 12.9 this month

20%?

Evidence:
- iPhone 7 is likely to use a new processor (A10)
- 12.9" doesn't have exactly the same screen tech as the 9.7"

But...
- A10 supply will be constrained by iPhone 7 demand
- Given the screen resolution one could argue the iPP needs an A10X chip, not just A10
- iPads have already had a refresh this year (9.7)
- Possibility that Apple already has too much to show already with iPhone, Mac, etc.
- Unifying the iPad line with iPad Pro really points towards them refreshing both models at the same time every year

Most importantly, there isn't a compelling reason to refresh right now. 3D Touch is still not possible, the 12.9 still has the highest spec of any existing Apple product, and all it's missing are the extra features on the screen. It also has double (!) the RAM of the 9.7" model. This is not like the iPad 3 to iPad 4 situation.

I fully expect the September conference to be iPhone 7 centric, hopefully also talking Macs and maybe even the Cinema Display, but keeping all of the iPad stuff to the spring event.

TheFlow

Banned
20%?

Evidence:

But...
- Given the screen resolution one could argue the iPP needs an A10X chip, not just A10
- Possibility that Apple already has too much to show already with iPhone, Mac, etc.
- Unifying the iPad line with iPad Pro really points towards them refreshing both models at the same time every year

Most importantly, there isn't a compelling reason to refresh right now. 3D Touch is still not possible, the 12.9 still has the highest spec of any existing Apple product, and all it's missing are the extra features on the screen. It also has double (!) the RAM of the 9.7" model. This is not like the iPad 3 to iPad 4 situation.

I fully expect the September conference to be iPhone 7 centric, hopefully also talking Macs and maybe even the Cinema Display, but keeping all of the iPad stuff to the spring event.
Sweet. Will buy the pro this month and if there is a new announcement I can just sell it so all good

Deku Tree

What is a good protective case for the iPad Pro 12.9 that also works with the apple Smart Keyboard? Any cases that can be connected at the same time as the Smart Keyboard?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
20%?

Evidence:

But...

Don't forget refreshed watch. I expect that at the phone event personally.

I use both Notability and PDF Expert 5. Both are exquisite, can't recommend them enough

Just to follow up. I just started a class and wanted a good note taking app and also PDF app.

I currently have One Note and good reader.

I should mention I'm an IT Professional. Are there any good diagram applications? There isn't a Visio for iPad smh.

So my wife wants an iPad instead of a laptop; she's between a pink one and a gold one (yes this is the basis of her decision).. Now I know the iPad Pro 9.7 only has 2 GB of ram but is this a notable difference in performance vs the 12" pro? We're talking everyday type stuff; Netflix, news, Internet, email etc. nothing crazy.

So my wife wants an iPad instead of a laptop; she's between a pink one and a gold one (yes this is the basis of her decision).. Now I know the iPad Pro 9.7 only has 2 GB of ram but is this a notable difference in performance vs the 12" pro? We're talking everyday type stuff; Netflix, news, Internet, email etc. nothing crazy.

No difference at all unless your wife makes a habit of only reading GAF threads that are nothing but high resolution screen caps. The 12.9" pro has a much larger reading area that makes some multi-tasking very easy but for casual use the 9.7 is really the way to go.

Would probably even hold off on buying pencil unless she needs it; for true casual use better to just have Applecare.

No difference at all unless your wife makes a habit of only reading GAF threads that are nothing but high resolution screen caps. The 12.9" pro has a much larger reading area that makes some multi-tasking very easy but for casual use the 9.7 is really the way to go.

Would probably even hold off on buying pencil unless she needs it; for true casual use better to just have Applecare.
oh we can just share my pencil; just wondering about feedback re: overall performance. thanks.

she is also not allowed to read gaf.

oh we can just share my pencil; just wondering about feedback re: overall performance. thanks.

My wife finds the 9.7" size perfect. Mini too small unless holding the baby, Pro way too big to carry. So yeah, just go with the 9.7". To be honest perf is great on the iPad Air 2 as well, but may as well go pro if you can swing it

My wife finds the 9.7" size perfect. Mini too small unless holding the baby, Pro way too big to carry. So yeah, just go with the 9.7". To be honest perf is great on the iPad Air 2 as well, but may as well go pro if you can swing it
true but we're on this pink train. pink phone. pink iPad. pink whatever other thing apple shits out in the future.

Wouldn't get that razor keyboard my iPad Pro. Most of these keyboards limit portability thanks to being a bit too weighty. The smart keyboard would be perfect with extra dedicated keys, but it's light enough to keep my Pro more mobile.

This might be a good solution for someone like your folks, who need something to communicate, but you don't want them having to deal with antivirus, drivers, etc.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm looking for something that I can easily take notes with in class. Won't need it to type up papers or anything like that, that's what my desktop is for. Just taking notes in class, as well as the usual tablet use outside of class. Don't care about ecosystem.

Is the iPad Pro the thing to get? Should I get the keyboard? Is there a significant difference between the 9.7 inch and 12 inch? I'd prefer the 9.7.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking for something that I can easily take notes with in class. Won't need it to type up papers or anything like that, that's what my desktop is for. Just taking notes in class, as well as the usual tablet use outside of class. Don't care about ecosystem.

Is the iPad Pro the thing to get? Should I get the keyboard? Is there a significant difference between the 9.7 inch and 12 inch? I'd prefer the 9.7.

I've the 9.7 and I wrote a whole lecture down with the Apple Pencil. 90 minutes of notes taken in Microsoft note.

I would say don't buy the keyboard, buy the pencil and write. Or buy both :D

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the pencil is a given. Just curious if the keyboard is worth getting on top of that.

If you don't want to write papers on it..don't. I use my pro all day with neogaf (writing right now in it..) without one,

Of course if you ever decide that you want to write papers or longer texts you should buy it! But until then...no.

Pachimari

I really regret that I went for the 128gb+pen instead of just the 256gb one, as I don't use the pen much to be honest. I only have 26gb left on my 128gb one.

Best Buy has the 9.7 32 gb on sale for $474? Should I bite? Seems like a solid price

My iPad Air 1 seems to be dying, so I took the plunge on it. I went with the 32GB version because I don't use all the space thanks to streaming, and the only time I really fill it up is on vacations when I load up on movies for airplanes or hotels without WiFi.

I was really going to try and go another year, but ever since the iPad was released, I've used it every day more than any other device, so I couldn't really put up with the constant crashing and freezing happening to me now (I've done several wipes and OS installs not from backup, and nothing worked. It's clearly hardware related).

Top Bottom