• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to get my hands on two apps from the iPad Pro 9.7 ad does one of you know the names?

5xOOAT7.jpg

xYBhi7h.jpg

Picked up my Smart Keyboard today, I'm typing this on it and I'm pretty impressed. It's small, but more comfortable than I expected.

It would be great if the keyboard could act as a trackpad. On the iPad itself if you press with two finger on the keyboard you get a cursor, if that happened on the Smart Keyboard it would feel much more like a laptop. Doing stuff like swiping with three fingers to switch between open apps would be amazing.

As it is it'll be nice to have on hand to type emails or edit documents. Previously I had a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that was full-size. The size was nice, but the Smart Keyboard being so small and also attached to the iPad is really nice.

Overall I'm really happy with the Pro, it's expensive if you get all the accessories but if you'll use the keyboard and stylus it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Tobor

I love the Smart Keyboard. LOVE IT. I'm using it at work to take notes and it's excellent. I had a Bluetooth keyboard before, but this is so much better.

When my Mom's laptop dies, I am going to seriously consider getting her one of these.

The Smart Keyboard is genius, but the only drawback for me is it is pretty loud. I mean, if I was on a conference call and I was using the iPad Pro to type notes and the mic is on, someone would complain about the typing. Lol

It's still genius and totally worth it. Sometimes I forget that I'm on an iPad and think I'm on a laptop with it. I have zero issues typing on it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Got a first little scratch on the back of my iPad Pro..noooo. |D. But the silicone case from Apple is just go expensive right now. Anyone bought it or do you all use your iPad "back free"? Would be nice to read some of your user experiences. Does it add a lot of weight/thickness?

Well I read a lot of people got used to the form factor after a few days. Why not order online and send it back if you think it is not comfortable to use after a week?

Got a first little scratch on the back of my iPad Pro..noooo. |D. But the silicone case from Apple is just go expensive right now. Anyone bought it or do you all use your iPad "back free"? Would be nice to read some of your user experiences. Does it add a lot of weight/thickness?
Well I read a lot of people got used to the form factor after a few days. Why not order online and send it back if you think it is not comfortable to use after a week? :D

On a serious note I have the case and Smart Cover, although DHL thought it would be better for me to wait a week on the iPad itself which I will pick up tomorrow. I'm coming from a 3rd gen and the case itself feels so light and thin, but will add more, actual, thoughts when I put it on tomorrow.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any word on if they are going to offer the keyboard in other languages? Seems weird that you can only get an English keyboard...

Nothing so far.

Well I read a lot of people got used to the form factor after a few days. Why not order online and send it back if you think it is not comfortable to use after a week? :D

On a serious note I have the case and Smart Cover, although DHL thought it would be better for me to wait a week on the iPad itself which I will pick up tomorrow. I'm coming from a 3rd gen and the case itself feels so light and thin, but will add more, actual, thoughts when I put it on tomorrow.
:p

Great! Can't wait to hear what you think about it. I mean damn the iPad Pro looks good as hell and I got apple care+..but still a case could be a good idea

Love the Smart Keyboard, but please don't get the official case. Get something that protects the back from scratches and provides a modest protection for the corners and dropping. Shouldn't cost you more than 15 bucks on Amazon.

SuperPac

Picked up a 9.7" this weekend and am VERY impressed with it. I'm coming from an OG iPad Air, and the screen on this thing is amazing! Really love finally having Touch ID on an iPad, too. Also holy crap the speaker system on this is a huge upgrade from previous iPads.

I tried using the keyboard on the 9.7' in an apple store briefly a week or so ago and it didn't feel comfortable.. Is it worth buying?

That's what I have, I like it quite a bit. No way would I want to use it as my main computer or anything, but it's really handy to have for typing longer emails and stuff like that. I've been using to take notes and write in a journal. Anything that will take me longer than a half hour or so will make me wish I had my laptop, but for shorter stuff I think the Smart Keyboard is great.

Well I read a lot of people got used to the form factor after a few days. Why not order online and send it back if you think it is not comfortable to use after a week?

It definitely feels pretty thick. I had a leather Smart Case for the iPad Air 2 I sold when I got the Pro, and when I took it out I was shocked at how thin it was, I had forgotten since I stuck it in the case as soon as I took it out of the box. And the Smart Cover/ silicone case for the Pro definitely feels thicker to me than the Air in the Smart Case.

Finally got my iPad Pro 9.7 and it is absolutely amazing! I come from a 3 so I'm not sure how very different it is to the Air 2 but for anyone with an non Air-line I would absolutely recommend it.
The first thing that struck me was the gorgeous display. The laminated sceen really did the job and overall it is stunning. I'm not a professional photographer or anything like that but even with my non-trained eye I can see how beautiful it is. The resolution is the same as my 3, but the differences between the two are major. The non-reflecting coating and increased brightness truly works, went out in the sun and I was amazed when I could see what was on the screen.
Second thing was the speed, the A9X has a lot of processing power but I wouldn't put much into my words since I'm used to a potato.
The camera is amazing, although I'm not sure how much I will use it. But Scanner Pro 7 seems to like it and the flash. The improved FaceTime camera will be unused for everyone's good, haha.
But the thing that, maybe, struck me the most was the speakers. The four of them are extremely loud and sounds more than acceptable. The real stereo sound was also a nice addition.

Overall my first impression is very good and I'm looking forward to exploring multitasking and other features a bit more.

Regarding the case and Smart Cover they fit perfectly and does their job well. They are definitely not worth the price asked for them but that shouldn't surprise anyone and they are solid, so far at least. :) They do at a bit thickness, nothing that annoys me since I came from a gigantic Targus case and likes the added grip, but I guess it could be a factor for some. For the reference the case is ca 0.5 mm extra over the protruding camera. The only thing that annoys me a bit is that it can be quite difficult to press the volume buttons with the cover folded.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the case and Smart Cover they fit perfectly and does their job well. They are definitely not worth the price asked for them but that shouldn't surprise anyone and they are solid, so far at least. :) They do at a bit thickness, nothing that annoys me since I came from a gigantic Targus case and likes the added grip, but I guess it could be a factor for some. For the reference the case is ca 0.5 mm extra over the protruding camera. The only thing that annoys me a bit is that it can be quite difficult to press the volume buttons with the cover folded.

Thank you. I looked a lot at the cheap 10-20€ cases today and all of them did not have a microfibre fleece or anything soft inside which can be a problem. My uncle once used a case without anything soft between iPad and the plastic and after he took it off, his iPad had more scratches than before ~_~ so maybe I'll pay the apple bonus..I mean 1.5mm-2mm thicker is not the end of the world for me.

Majine

Banned
The Apple Pencil is such a joy to use, I wish I could use it for more stuff on my iPad.

It should be easier to write a handwritten e-mail or iMessage, and why doesn't iWork support it yet?

Blackhead

Redarse
The Apple Pencil is such a joy to use, I wish I could use it for more stuff on my iPad.

It should be easier to write a handwritten e-mail or iMessage, and why doesn't iWork support it yet?

Have you tried one of the handwriting keyboards? Like MyScript Stylus? Third party keyboards suck on iOS but it's nice to play around with

Sh0k

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
fuckin' apple store. now I decided "oh well, let's buy the apple case" and I ordered one yesterday with delivery date today...and now it gets delivered monday -_-"..
I know, first world problem, but it annoys me :D

Vyer

I bought the Apple silicone case for the back of my iPad Pro 9.7, it works and fits nice but the premium that I paid for the cover is too much. I ordered this case from Amazon today,

http://www.amazon.com/JETech®-Smart-Cover-Apple-Model/dp/B01D90Q286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460409724&sr=8-1&keywords=Jetech+ipad+pro+9.7

It's only $12. and it covers the back and front. The case has great reviews in Amazon, I'll test it and if I like it, the Apple one is going back to the store.

Yeah you can usually find some good cheap cases on Amazon. I bought this one for the 13".

It's a decent case, but for whatever reason the cover on it is like a brick. Really adds weight to it. In contrast I ended up trying to the apple cover. I have to admit, it fits damn well and is very minimal in comparison.

Vyer

I think I'm going nuts. Had a dead pixel on my pro, swapped it out. For some reason the replacement feels heavier to me. There's no reason it should, and it probably doesn't, but I can't shake it and it's bothering me. Arrrrggghh

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So I got the apple case a few minutes ago, and it feels really good, fits the iPad like second skin.
But that price..god damn.

Sh0k

Saturday I received the case I mentioned in my post above and it fits the iPad perfect, covers the front and back and the cover magnets works great; all the speaker and microphone cut outs are perfect. You can't beat $12.99, agreed that the Apple one also fits and feels great, but the $120. premium for back and front cover hurts.

Saturday I received the case I mentioned in my post above and it fits the iPad perfect, covers the front and back and the cover magnets works great; all the speaker and microphone cut outs are perfect. You can't beat $12.99, agreed that the Apple one also fits and feels great, but the $120. premium for back and front cover hurts.

This.

Save the money. I paid too much for the Smart Keyboard, but I could have returned it. Its weight is right and when I don't use it, I just take it off easily. Plus it makes an excellent stand for watching video.

Then I got a 10 buck case for the back. I only use that when the Pro leaves the house.

I have a Moko case that I got before the Smart Keyboard and it is excellent but I don't use it. 10 bucks.

The only thing that deserves a premium in my view is the keyboard cover and the pencil. And the pencil, for me, can't be bought. A simple stylus works for any of that sort of function.

Quick

Banned
I ended up picking the 64GB Air 2 over the 32GB Pro 9.7" after some deliberation at the Apple Store.

The bump to an A9X chip vs. A8X almost got me to buy the Pro, but I think I'm at a sweet spot on storage capacity. Plus, I'm not really sure I have a need for the Pencil and Smart Keyboard - I haven't ever used a stylus or keyboard on past iPads. I can (probably) live without the better speakers.

Sucks that the Air 2 doesn't come in Rose Gold though.

I ended up picking the 64GB Air 2 over the 32GB Pro 9.7" after some deliberation at the Apple Store.

The bump to an A9X chip vs. A8X almost got me to buy the Pro, but I think I'm at a sweet spot on storage capacity. Plus, I'm not really sure I have a need for the Pencil and Smart Keyboard - I haven't ever used a stylus or keyboard on past iPads. I can (probably) live without the better speakers.

Sucks that the Air 2 doesn't come in Rose Gold though.

You know, you just know that you'll be returning that Air2 so you can join the BrosGold Force.

Just let it happen, bring your receipt.

It's pricey, but you can get the new Lightning to USB-C cable and the rMB's 29W USB-C charging block for much, much faster charging speeds. The 12.9 has a USB3 compatible Lightning port that no other device does so it can take advantage of the higher power output

I have it and I love it

Gold > silver everyone knows this.

Space Grey>All

I actually had a nightmare a couple nights ago that my iPad had a white bezel. It was horrific. True story.

EDIT: Beaten, but the link has good info on what you get out of it

https://www.macstories.net/ios/testing-apples-29w-usb-c-power-adapter-and-ipad-pro-fast-charging/

Basically, you want to buy the Apple 29W USB-C charger (and unfortunately, you also need to seperately buy a Lightning -> USB-C cable as well). That adaptor supports the USB PD spec which means much faster charging up to 80%, particularly as that allows this charger to go up to 14.8V x 2.0A. USB PD devices with that level of voltage support don't seem to be easy to find, so not sure there are any other options right now.

It's pricey, but you can get the new Lightning to USB-C cable and the rMB's 29W USB-C charging block for much, much faster charging speeds. The 12.9 has a USB3 compatible Lightning port that no other device does so it can take advantage of the higher power output

I have it and I love it

EDIT: Beaten, but the link has good info on what you get out of it

https://www.macstories.net/ios/testing-apples-29w-usb-c-power-adapter-and-ipad-pro-fast-charging/

Basically, you want to buy the Apple 29W USB-C charger (and unfortunately, you also need to seperately buy a Lightning -> USB-C cable as well). That adaptor supports the USB PD spec which means much faster charging up to 80%, particularly as that allows this charger to go up to 14.8V x 2.0A. USB PD devices with that level of voltage support don't seem to be easy to find, so not sure there are any other options right now.

I'm looking at over £60 for both, are there any third party alternatives?

I'm looking at over £60 for both, are there any third party alternatives?

Not that I've seen. You need Apple's cable to have the necessary USB-C to Lightning path - there's no way around that part yet.

The Innergie PowerGear USB C 45 is the only 3rd party charger I've heard of yet, the rest are built for specific products like the Spectre X2, Nexus 6P, and Google Pixel. Some of them, in theory, would work as replacement wall plugs, but you'd still need the Apple cable as nobody else has released an identical product yet. And some of those products I mentioned above would be disqualified because in (some) cases their USB-C cable is built into the charger, so you don't always have a way to unplug it and add the Apple cable instead.

This 30-60W charger stuff is brand new unfortunately, so it could take another year to settle down.

Quick

Banned
I haven't opened my iPad Air 2 yet, but I was having second thoughts and was thinking of getting the Pro, but after running through a few review and comparison videos, I think I'm set on the Air 2.

Rose Gold is so nice though. I went with the Silver largely because it's what I've gone with for all of my iPads since the iPad 3. I did have a black/Space Grey iPad 2 very briefly. It also matches with my Silver iPhone 6.

Maybe I'll get a Rose Gold next-gen iPhone.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the Apple Pencil.
How much does the cap wobble on yours? Mine feels pretty loose...I mean it does not fall off, without me pulling it but I thought I ask you ^.^

Top Bottom