• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Vyer

I'm still trying to decide on whether or not the Pro 9.7" is worth the money over the Air 2.

The Air 2 is still a pretty good device, I'm assuming. I figure if my Mini 2 is still running fine, the Air 2 would be even better.

Yeah it should run fine for a while.

part of it probably depends on the storage you want. 16gb enough for you? 32? At the base the $200 difference is sizable. But the gap between a 64gb Air 2 and the 32gb Pro might be a little less of a problem. Unless of course 32gb isn't enough....

Quick

Banned
Yeah it should run fine for a while.

part of it probably depends on the storage you want. 16gb enough for you? 32? At the base the $200 difference is sizable. But the gap between a 64gb Air 2 and the 32gb Pro might be a little less of a problem. Unless of course 32gb isn't enough....

Yeah, I was looking into the 64GB model.

The Canadian prices have a sloghtly larger gap in pricing between the 64GB Air 2 model ($609) and the 32GB 9.7" Pro model ($799), compared to the American pricing, so I'm trying to decide between the latest model or the more economic choice.

Vyer

Yeah, I was looking into the 64GB model.

The Canadian prices have a sloghtly larger gap in pricing between the 64GB Air 2 model ($609) and the 32GB 9.7" Pro model ($799), compared to the American pricing, so I'm trying to decide between the latest model or the more economic choice.

Ah. Yeah, that makes it a little tougher. If you're coming from a mini 2 either one will be a very nice upgrade. I guess it'll come down mostly to if you think you'd use the Pencil capabilities and how much you care about the screen improvements (glare, true tone). I think the Pro 9.7 also does the always on Siri thing too? I don't think the Air 2 (or even the big Pro) do, but I could be mistaken.

Processor obv is another improvement but the Air 2 performs great I doubt it'll be an issue any time soon.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Currently got a 10" android tablet, considering the 12.9" for comic reading. Worth it? Since the price is quite steep £600+

Quick

Banned
Ah. Yeah, that makes it a little tougher. If you're coming from a mini 2 either one will be a very nice upgrade. I guess it'll come down mostly to if you think you'd use the Pencil capabilities and how much you care about the screen improvements (glare, true tone). I think the Pro 9.7 also does the always on Siri thing too? I don't think the Air 2 (or even the big Pro) do, but I could be mistaken.

Processor obv is another improvement but the Air 2 performs great I doubt it'll be an issue any time soon.

Thanks Vyer. Good to know that the iPad Air 2 is still a good option - not that I was too concerned, anything newer than a Mini 2 is already better for the most part.

I actually checked out the Apple Store earlier to play around with the 9.7" Pro, and I really like the Smart Keyboard, but I don't know if I have any use for the Pencil.

Blackhead

Redarse
Currently got a 10" android tablet, considering the 12.9" for comic reading. Worth it? Since the price is quite steep £600+

For comic reading? The only comparable displays on tablet devices are with the Surface Pro 4 (slightly worse) and Surface Book (slightly better). The convertible laptops with comparable high-dpi screens from Dell, Acer and HP are in 16:9 aspect ratio which is ok for single page mode but you'll want proper double page for comics, yes? iPad Pro 12:9 is 4:3 while Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book have 3:2 screens. If you can afford it, then it's worth it especially if you mostly use the tablet at home.

However, if budget is an issue, the best bang for your buck is to get a 4K monitor. Those are £300-£400.

For those picking between an Air 2 and the Pro, after owning both the speakers on the 9.7" Pro are hugely better, very little case vibration and much better sound quality.

I know some are on a budget, but you're doing a bit of future proofing with the Pro, and the speakers are great for anyone that works on the road. Will be out on business this month and I'll have music that plays loud enough for the hotel room, without having to bring a bluetooth speaker.

Lashley

For comic reading? The only comparable displays on tablet devices are with the Surface Pro 4 (slightly worse) and Surface Book (slightly better). The convertible laptops with comparable high-dpi screens from Dell, Acer and HP are in 16:9 aspect ratio which is ok for single page mode but you'll want proper double page for comics, yes? iPad Pro 12:9 is 4:3 while Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book have 3:2 screens. If you can afford it, then it's worth it especially if you mostly use the tablet at home.

However, if budget is an issue, the best bang for your buck is to get a 4K monitor. Those are £300-£400.

yeah mate double page spreads

Looks like I'm buying an iPad :D

Lashley

Lol, I was just about to give you some pics of pages on the Pro but then I read some of the last page of the comic thread and realized you'd already seen 'em
Haha I got my name back

But yeah, comics look beautiful on it.

Draper

Been playing with my Pro 9.7 for a few days now, still undecided whether I'm going to keep it. Didn't safari previously have a feature where you could save articles to read at a later time, and would reformat it and stuff to make it more visually pleasing to read?

Also, considering this is my first iPad, any particularly neat things I should know/try? Also any settings I should adjust right off the bat? And lastly, any excellent apps that shouldn't go overlooked? And any apps that work great with the pencil?

Tobor

I picked up a Smart Keyboard at the Apple Store today. Truly awesome! It blows the doors off my Logitech keyboard.

I'm super happy with the 9.7" Pro. This is a fantastic upgrade from my Air 1.

Anyone trying to decide between the Pro and the Air 2, get the Pro. The bump in processor, speakers, Smart Keyboard support and Pencil support are all worth the extra money.

Personally, I took back the Pencil as I'll never use it. If you're an artist, it's great. The tech is top notch. As far as notes go I'd rather type, though, so I don't need one.

The speakers on this thing are really nice. I could travel without a Bluetooth speaker and be fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
I know some are on a budget, but you're doing a bit of future proofing with the Pro, and the speakers are great for anyone that works on the road. Will be out on business this month and I'll have music that plays loud enough for the hotel room, without having to bring a bluetooth speaker.

I picked up a Smart Keyboard at the Apple Store today. Truly awesome! It blows the doors off my Logitech keyboard.

I'm super happy with the 9.7" Pro. This is a fantastic upgrade from my Air 1.

Anyone trying to decide between the Pro and the Air 2, get the Pro. The bump in processor, speakers, Smart Keyboard support and Pencil support are all worth the extra money.

Personally, I took back the Pencil as I'll never use it. If you're an artist, it's great. The tech is top notch. As far as notes go I'd rather type, though, so I don't need one.

The speakers on this thing are really nice. I could travel without a Bluetooth speaker and be fine.

did you guys really carry around a bluetooth speaker? which one?

Tobor

did you guys really carry around a bluetooth speaker? which one?

UE Boom. I'll still take it with me when the family goes to the beach for a week, but not for quick trips or work travel. The iPad Pro speakers are good enough for those situations.

Vyer

Been playing with my Pro 9.7 for a few days now, still undecided whether I'm going to keep it. Didn't safari previously have a feature where you could save articles to read at a later time, and would reformat it and stuff to make it more visually pleasing to read?

Also, considering this is my first iPad, any particularly neat things I should know/try? Also any settings I should adjust right off the bat? And lastly, any excellent apps that shouldn't go overlooked? And any apps that work great with the pencil?

Yeah, I believe that's 'Add to Reading List'.

Paper by Fifty Three is a fun art app for the pencil.

Shearie

Yeah, I believe that's 'Add to Reading List'.

Paper by Fifty Three is a fun art app for the pencil.

Also, on the left side of the address bar for some pages you'll see an icon consisting of lines and that's the toggle to make websites easier to read.

Draper

Also, on the left side of the address bar for some pages you'll see an icon consisting of lines and that's the toggle to make websites easier to read.

There it is! Thanks. Pretty neat, you can change the page color and font. Nice.

RvRr6lo.jpg

Anyone else having trouble with palm recognition on the 9.7" Pro? I'm getting at least a dot every time my palm touches the screen, and sometimes a larger mark like a small like. Really annoying, after taking a page of notes it looks like I dotted the whole lower-left side of the page.

OneNote is the only app I've really used the pen much in so maybe it's something to do with the app itself.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The screen on the 9.7 Pro is such an upgrade over the Air 2 I'd almost consider it worth the price of admission alone. Don't regret switching from the Air 2 at all. The new Smart Cover is a bit annoying though, it's really quite a bit heavier than the old one. It's better made and a bit thicker, but I'd rather have the old one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The screen on the 9.7 Pro is such an upgrade over the Air 2 I'd almost consider it worth the price of admission alone. Don't regret switching from the Air 2 at all. The new Smart Cover is a bit annoying though, it's really quite a bit heavier than the old one. It's better made and a bit thicker, but I'd rather have the old one.

The overlap is annoying too. I don't use a rear case as it just adds to the bulk, but it seems the Smart Cover is designed to be flush when you have a silicon case on. Without it, the flap overhangs quite a lot. And when the cover is folded behind the iPad, it makes the volume keys a little tricky to get to. Also the stronger magnets make opening it a bit worse.

Overall it's ok but not great.

Majine

Banned
Pro 9.7 impressions:

- Audio is waaay better than previous Airs and Minis. It's still a little too muffled for my liking, but still, you can actually watch a movie without headphones and not feel like a total sucker.
- The true tone display... is something you don't really think about until you turn it off and the screen becomes horribly blue-ish.
- It's really fast. To the point where iOS flies and my network feels like the bottleneck.
- Having been on iPad Mini since 2013, it's nice to be on a big spaceous iPad again. This feels like what it's supposed to be. The Mini always felt a little too cramped.

Tobor

Anyone else having trouble with palm recognition on the 9.7" Pro? I'm getting at least a dot every time my palm touches the screen, and sometimes a larger mark like a small like. Really annoying, after taking a page of notes it looks like I dotted the whole lower-left side of the page.

OneNote is the only app I've really used the pen much in so maybe it's something to do with the app itself.

Yep, It's OneNote. I used the pencil extensively over the weekend before returning it and the palm recognition is perfect in Notes. OneNote on the other hand is shit. The pencil is laggy in OneNote as well. I looked online and it's a common complaint.

It's Microsoft being Microsoft, unfortunately.

Can't wait for a true-tone display on this year's new 12.9s. Though it does mean past sundown there will be two color-corrections to worry about instead of one, true-tone and night shift

Actually how do those work together, people who have a 9.7?

Really impressed with 9.7 so far in terms of performance, my only disappointment is the touch id. It's quite a bit slower compared to my 6S Plus.

I think if you have the iPad Air 2, you probably don't need to upgrade, unless you want pencil support. But the speakers are a real difference maker.

iPad Air 2 already had split screen. I came from the original iPad Air and having Safari and iMessenger on the screen at the same time, while spotify plays through the quad speakers, is incredible. It's something I can't do with PC. Or maybe I can, if there is some software out there that supports iMessenger on PC.

Vyer

Weird. Siri popped up the 'i learned a new trick' thing on my big Pro as though it had enabled always on, even though the 12.9 (stupidly) doesn't support it.

Yep, It's OneNote. I used the pencil extensively over the weekend before returning it and the palm recognition is perfect in Notes. OneNote on the other hand is shit. The pencil is laggy in OneNote as well. I looked online and it's a common complaint.

It's Microsoft being Microsoft, unfortunately.

Damn, that sucks, I really like OneNote's layout. Maybe I'll try to switch over to EverNote.

If it's a software issue hopefully they'll update and fix it at some point.

My favorite note-taking app is Notability. I know why it's not as popular (it's not free) but from my time using it I just find it trumps EverNote in every meaningful way

My favorite note-taking app is Notability. I know why it's not as popular (it's not free) but from my time using it I just find it trumps EverNote in every meaningful way

Cool, maybe I'll check that out. It's been awhile but the last time I used EverNote the UI seemed really clunky and dated for something so popular.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The speakers are really a huge improvement and much more conducive to media consumption. This is how it should have always been.

The overlap is annoying too. I don't use a rear case as it just adds to the bulk, but it seems the Smart Cover is designed to be flush when you have a silicon case on. Without it, the flap overhangs quite a lot. And when the cover is folded behind the iPad, it makes the volume keys a little tricky to get to. Also the stronger magnets make opening it a bit worse.

Overall it's ok but not great.
I was fully expecting to hate the overlap, but it's not as egregious as it looked in those Ars photos and I don't mind it nearly as much as I expected. Agree with you about the volume keys being harder to adjust. There's also quite a lot more slack when you fold it over behind the screen which is slightly annoying. Not really sure why Apple went to so much trouble to redesign this part, honestly.

grmlin

Need a bit of an advice.

We still rock an iPad 3. But because of it's performance, it's a media/audio player for the kids most of the time.

I'm pretty sure we will never use the pencil and the smart keyboard. It would mainly be used for browsing the web and some gaming. Is the Air 2 still a solid option then? I would of course love the better screen and four speakers, but the price you have to pay for this upgrade is pretty hefty.

Thanks!

Chanser

Need a bit of an advice.

We still rock an iPad 3. But because of it's performance, it's a media/audio player for the kids most of the time.

I'm pretty sure we will never use the pencil and the smart keyboard. It would mainly be used for browsing the web and some gaming. Is the Air 2 still a solid option then? I would of course love the better screen and four speakers, but the price you have to pay for this upgrade is pretty hefty.

Thanks!

Air 2 is still a solid choice.

What wallpapers are you guys using right now on the 12 inch pro? I can't seem to find anything that has enough resolution and looks good in both portrait and landscape, portrait being the priority for me.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Got myself the 9.7 iPad Pro and wow incredible. Display is amazing and the pencil is great.

Question, so far I've been using goodreader but I am not happy with it anymore. In the iPad Pro 9.7 advertisement the guy uses an app to draw on pictures/pdf but I've no idea what he uses..soooo my question: what do you use to work on scanned/other kind of pdf?

Found pdf expert 5 and pdf pro 2 but can't decide ._.

Majine

Banned
Got myself the 9.7 iPad Pro and wow incredible. Display is amazing and the pencil is great.

Question, so far I've been using goodreader but I am not happy with it anymore. In the iPad Pro 9.7 advertisement the guy uses an app to draw on pictures/pdf but I've no idea what he uses..soooo my question: what do you use to work on scanned/other kind of pdf?

I haven't tried it myself, but people seem to love Notability. It's not free tho, it's 4 dollars or something.

I use both Notability and PDF Expert 5. Both are exquisite, can't recommend them enough

Shearie

LOVE PDF Expert 5. Use it all the time for school.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you all! Great answers.

Question about the pencil, is it normal that it automatically disconnects after a some time without use and that it needs to be put in in the Lightning port shortly to reconnect?

Thank you all! Great answers.

Question about the pencil, is it normal that it automatically disconnects after a some time without use and that it needs to be put in in the Lightning port shortly to reconnect?

Mine has been doing that since the newest update, it didn't before 9.3

Vyer

So yesterday I tried going back to the 9.7

It's a great machine and I could definitely use it just fine....but man I was spoiled by the big pro. Went back already. Lol

If by the next version of the Pro they could shave just a bit more weight off of it...I probably couldn't find a good reason to consider switching again.

Top Bottom