• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

What you mean rattle?

and yeah black iphone 4 to gold 5S what a difference. I will go naked too I think. It's so light and awesome. I am in love.

I also just got an iPad Air last week and loving it. I really like iOS 7 a lot as well.

When I shake it I can hear the buttons rattling. This definitely was not on my iphone 4.

I was going to upgrade my 4 to a 5s but messed around with an HTC over the weekend.

My god what a refreshing change of pace. I didn't realize how absolutely insanely bored I am with iOS and being able to try android just felt so nice.

But then I'm back in the same boat I was in before and is why I will probably say with iphone forever. And that's because every single member of my family and every one of my friends have iPhones. To not be able to iMessage any of them anymore would a loss far to great.

So I will now have to upgrade to the 5s when I switch to Verison and I could literally give a rats ass about the phone. Such a shame.

Same thing happened to me. Nexus 5 went back. No group text, dealing with SMS/MMS and hangouts, store sucks, google music somehow used 4Gb in one day even though it was on wifi (ATT freaked). Nope. 4.4 is pretty nice tho.

Vyer

I was going to upgrade my 4 to a 5s but messed around with an HTC over the weekend.

My god what a refreshing change of pace. I didn't realize how absolutely insanely bored I am with iOS and being able to try android just felt so nice.

But then I'm back in the same boat I was in before and is why I will probably say with iphone forever. And that's because every single member of my family and every one of my friends have iPhones. To not be able to iMessage any of them anymore would a loss far to great.

So I will now have to upgrade to the 5s when I switch to Verison and I could literally give a rats ass about the phone. Such a shame.

Get a Nexus 7. Satisfies the desire to 'try something different.' And for me, it also made me realize there's nothing about Android - while it's a great OS - that is all that enticing for me to switch anymore. TBH, Windows Phone is more interesting than Android to me now, but even then I'd probably only use it as a backup phone.

Red

Mine still works, but it only seemed really reliable in that first week or so.

Ever since, I've had constant issues with it failing to read a fingerprint, or just plain up not responding at all (not even trying to read), forcing me to input my password. I finally gave up on just disabled it.

I loved it when it worked, but it turned out to be too unreliable in the end.

We have to delete and redo our thumbprints once every couple of weeks to keep it going. It works, but it's as if over time it "forgets" you. It must be software, because once you run through set up again it is 100% accurate. But a few days later, a miss here, a miss there, more and more until it is all but useless.

Vyer

We have to delete and redo our thumbprints once every couple of weeks to keep it going. It works, but it's as if over time it "forgets" you. It must be software, because once you run through set up again it is 100% accurate. But a few days later, a miss here, a miss there, more and more until it is all but useless.

Honestly I would get it swapped out. I haven't had to change the prints since I first recorded them.

Synless

I briefly had the issue of the sensor not being as responsive as when I first activated it.

I think it started responding quicker again when I cleaned it before putting a screen protector on. Doing a quick clean isn't a bad idea from time to time.
I think there is an issue somewhere else. When I first got the phone it was great, now I have been having issues where sometimes during wake up it just won't respond.

Bought an HTC One earlier this year but just wasn't feeling it. Decided to swallow the early upgrade fee and jump on an iPhone 5S 32gb. It was on sale for $149 (2 year plan). Loving it so far. Glad to be back in the iOS family.

Need some good apps to show off this bad boy now.

White and Gold.

Going to grab a case tomorrow though.

Wow coming from a 4S, this phone is incredibly light and looks great.

Also, so glad I discovered glass screen shields. Finger glides across it just like on a naked screen, and touch is just as responsive. How is it doing this?!

Vyer

Bought an HTC One earlier this year but just wasn't feeling it. Decided to swallow the early upgrade fee and jump on an iPhone 5S 32gb. It was on sale for $149 (2 year plan). Loving it so far. Glad to be back in the iOS family.

Need some good apps to show off this bad boy now.

White and Gold.

Going to grab a case tomorrow though.

Finally saw a gold in person the other day. Looks really nice.

What kind of apps are you looking for?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nor have I. Working as well or better than day one. Keep wondering if I'll hit the issue. Also: no case here.
The sensor is very temperature/moisture/condensation sensitive, maybe that's playing into it? It won't recognise cold fingers as easy as in room temperature. It's winter after all.

There are two minor points with this phone which now after a few months drive me crazy.

I hate how when I play an album 'Repeat All' is selected by default and the album always automatically loops instead of finishing.

Also I hate how photos automatically crop and fill the screen when looking at photos in landscape.

As said minor things..... but so annoying!

Dez

There are two minor points with this phone which now after a few months drive me crazy.

I hate how when I play an album 'Repeat All' is selected by default and the album always automatically loops instead of finishing.

Also I hate how photos automatically crop and fill the screen when looking at photos in landscape.

As said minor things..... but so annoying!

Neither of these things happen with the default ios music and photos app. There must be something wrong.

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
Got myself a 5s for Christmas. My old iPhone 4 was stolen at a Halloween party and I muddle through till now with an Android and a fixer-upper iPhone 4 that I still have work to do on. Had no back-up phone so at least now I've got a safety net.

I've used Android plenty but I did enjoy using the Galaxy S2 I had but I made sure to get the Samsung bloatware off it immediately by flashing Cyanogenmod to it. It was a pain trying to use third-party applications to sync my iTunes library and with the stupidly large library of iOS apps I've amassed I always intended on switching back.

Had to hold my nose at the price, but anyone who buys Apple products knows you have to take that hit in your stride. The phone itself is as expected, fast, iOS 7 runs smooth, the camera's improvements are of the intelligent kind (bigger aperture, better flash) and the 64-bit architecture has bundles of potential. It fits like a glove, which is what I wanted.

Nothing flashy but coming from a 4 it's a very welcome upgrade all-round and with LTE looking like it might finally come to market properly in Ireland in 2014 it was the right time to upgrade.

Experiencing some weird playback issues when I'm listening to music on my phone & use touchID to unlock my phone. The track will stutter & skip either forward or backwards...

I've also had Google Hangouts crash where the screen will go black before it starts working again.

Hmm...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Question, every time I get a text message, I get a second notification sound around 2 minutes later; is this a bug or an option somewhere? It's annoying.

Majine

Banned
Is the 5S better at remembering what you were doing? On my 4S it drives me nuts when apps revert to another state when I return to them, and Safari reloads pages for no reason.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anyone still using TouchID? I've turned it off on mine for a bit because I end up inputting in the passcode the majority of the time anyway due to a slight unreliability and wearing winter gloves. Besides that TouchID is much slower when swiping to open notifications. :/

Is the 5S better at remembering what you were doing? On my 4S it drives me nuts when apps revert to another state when I return to them, and Safari reloads pages for no reason.

4S started hogging on certain things after IOS7.:/

I just wish they would make a 5.5-6-inch Iphone. I know they won't do it.. a phone that size can be used to really browse the internet with, and that would canabalize Ipad a bit. they make so much money of having people both buying iphones and ipads to get the best of both worlds:(

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Mine refreshes safari and other apps all the time, seems no different to my 4S, unfortunately.

Marco1

I'm coming back to the 5S after selling my nexus5. I loved my N5 so much more than my 5S but the apple App Store is just so much better.

SuperPac

Anyone still using TouchID? I've turned it off on mine for a bit because I end up inputting in the passcode the majority of the time anyway due to a slight unreliability and wearing winter gloves. Besides that TouchID is much slower when swiping to open notifications. :/

I'm using it. Never turned it off. Since I have to have a passcode on my devices to get my work email it's much faster than typing in the code each time. Usually just tapping the home button with my thumb to wake my phone will open it up a second later - it's been ultra-convenient for me. It's about 98% reliable for me. Very few "try agains".

I still use it, but it does fail from time to time (20% or the time?) and I have to shift my thumb. It's debatable whether I'd be better off just using my passcode.

Deku Tree

TouchID works for me it feels like 99.9999% of the time.
But I know people who have turned it off because they can't get it to reliably work.

I don't know if some people get bad ones, or if I was just Incredibly diligent about moving my finger in every possible configuration when I programmed mine.

Clean the touchpad when it stops working. I just clean the whole face every day or two and I avoid any problems. My GF doesn't clean hers that often and complains about it not working.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally upgraded my phone from the iPhone 4 to 5s. It's so beautiful...
It really is the most amazing feeling. Went from 4 to 5s myself and it's crazy how significant three "generations" of iPhone feels like!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It really is the most amazing feeling. Went from 4 to 5s myself and it's crazy how significant three "generations" of iPhone feels like!

I recently fished out my oldie iPod Touch 2nd gen out of a drawer and took it for a spin. iOS 2.2.1 sure holds up well...

ciD_Vain

I just upgraded from the white 4s to the gold 5s and it's amazing. i'm using this case.
0.jpg

I love it because it's sleek and pretty durable. Also, in regards to the fingerprint scanner, I have two separate entries for my thumb in slightly various positions just in case and i've had no problems.

Need to upgrade my 4S, but I'm thinking about waiting for the next iPhone. What are the rumors saying as to when the next one's coming out?

Daffy Duck

I just upgraded from the white 4s to the gold 5s and it's amazing. i'm using this case.
0.jpg

I love it because it's sleek and pretty durable. Also, in regards to the fingerprint scanner, I have two separate entries for my thumb in slightly various positions just in case and i've had no problems.

Which case is that?

Darte

Does anyone have any problems with youtube on 5S on WiFi?

Every time I watch any video on youtube, I can watch for about 30s-1m before my video stops to buffer (for a good 40s-1m). Really getting annoying. I don't see the issue happening when I'm using on the 3G network, so I thought it might be my WiFi, but my older iPhone didn't have any issues playing any videos over WiFi at all...

this_guy

Picked up a gold 5s on Verizon and will let T-Mobile pay off my etf in a few weeks. I haven't had an ios device since I sold my iPad 3rd generation (the first Retina iPad). I've been using Android phones the past few years, and more recently the past 6 months a Nokia Windows phone.

First impression is impeccable build quality. The phone is gorgeous, but I can see where people that own the 5c say the 5c feels better in the hand while the 5s is prettier to look at. The phone feels very solid and the buttons are easily distinguished by feel. I think Nokia is the only other company that can come close to the build quality of Apple. The screen does seem small because I've been using phones with bigger screens the past few years, and for web browsing and navigation I still do prefer having a larger screen. The camera is great, especially the two tone flash for low light pictures.

I like the Notification center and Control center, both of which are new versus when I used the iPad 3. I do wish Apple added something similar to widgets on Android or live tiles on Windows phone, but at least Notification center can show some of the information I want at a glance. The Google search app also has the Google Now cards that have information at a glance that I want too so that's a positive.. It would be nice if in future updates that those cards can be integrated into Notification center, but I doubt Apple would let let happen. ios is smooth and fast as expected, but I do think the competition has caught up enough now that it's not really an advantage any more (I think all the high end phones are fast enough, and the Nexus 5 and Nokia Windows phone are just as smooth to me). I don't really use any obscure apps or play games on my phone, so all 3 phone operating systems work for me.

I do hate how I can't use the same micro sub chargers as my other devices because I try to use things that are platform agnostic. But I have to say that the Lightning connector is a great plug - it's nice that you can plug it in either direction and it'll fit and it works.

I'm the type of guy that likes to switch devices every few months so it's nice that the iphone retains its value more so than any other phone. I'll more than likely switch devices again when the next Android flagship devices come out, but I wouldn't be surprised if I can do an even exchange because of the iPhone's resale value. If the next iphone does get a bigger screen I'd be very interested in it. Right now I think the Moto X is the perfect size phone - it has a good size screen but it's not a huge phone. For now I'm perfectly happy using the 5s for the next few months.

bionic77

Does anyone have any problems with youtube on 5S on WiFi?

Every time I watch any video on youtube, I can watch for about 30s-1m before my video stops to buffer (for a good 40s-1m). Really getting annoying. I don't see the issue happening when I'm using on the 3G network, so I thought it might be my WiFi, but my older iPhone didn't have any issues playing any videos over WiFi at all...
Thats YT bro and not your phone.

YT can suck it on a supercomputer.

Fry

Pls help.

Shouldn't I be able to scrobble my songs just by installing the app? Why can I only scrobble if I listen to my songs THROUGH the app?

Ambitious

For some reason, the animation when opening my bookmarks in Safari is now stuttering slightly. All other animations are smooth as always.

Majine

Banned
I dunno if this is technically possible on the 5S, but I figured one way to make Touch ID more useful is if it could continuously check your fingerprint even when you're signed in.

So the idea is that you keep using the home button, and there is no performances issues or lag from using the home button, but in the background the Touch ID sensor keeps checking your fingerprints and if it fails, the phone locks instantly.

This would be handy if a thief steals the phone right from your hands, when it is already signed in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This would be handy if a thief steals the phone right from your hands, when it is already signed in.
What if someone needs to borrow it to make an emergency call? But not one that's actually an emergency, more like a quick call to their family for a ride or something?

Top Bottom