• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I think I'll stick with the Nexus devices if these are normal off-contract prices.

Standard, though it also means you get to buy it factory unlocked, which is nice. A little bit less of an issue these days with various unlocking legislations, but still.

If you're an Android guy then yeah, OnePlus or Nexus make a lot more sense.

ijm72

Initially I was thinking of getting the 6 but it seems that its kind of gimped compared to the 6 Plus so I am kind of leaning towards the 6 Plus.

Mogwai

Excuse me, but how the fuck can Apple call their 4.7" display Retina HD?

It's still only pissy 326ppi... I'm dissapointed. Retina was supposed to be something of a selling point. But Samsung and LG totally steam rolls that.

Midas

6+ is actually larger than Note 3? Way too big. Regular iPhone 6 with 64 GB is the one for me at least.

Curufinwe

BFIB

Excuse me, but how the fuck can Apple call their 4.7" display Retina HD?

It's still only pissy 326ppi... I'm dissapointed. Retina was supposed to be something of a selling point. But Samsung and LG totally steam rolls that.

Retina Display is whatever Apple determines it to be. Probably had to keep it at that resolution for the battery usage.

rezuth

DSC_7972-2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Antenna bands actually look more pronounced in the retail model.

I kinda hate how they made the gold ugly with the bands, the white and the space gray look alright though.

Erebus

Just for the sake of size comparison:

Z3 compact with a 4.6" screen:

127 x 64.9 x 8.6 mm Z3c

iPhone 6 with a 4.7" screen:

138.1 mm x 67.0 mm x 6.9 mm

erawsd

I'm not sure how I feel about the plus size phone. I think its the one I'm going to order initially and then I'll swap it out before the return window closes if I end up hating it.

Mononoke

Banned
Leak from 3-4 months ago that everyone thought was ugly:

phpdga0bz.jpg

Actual model:

DSC_7972-2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Antenna bands actually look more pronounced in the retail model.

Yeah, the antenna band looks really ugly IMO on the White/Gold model. I don't mind them on the black so much, as they kind of blend in a bit more.

Husker86

hey guys..i'm with At&t but I want to get a phone off contract. Can they unlock those since it's technically my phone already? or will Apple release factory unlocked phones day 1?

Yes to both.

AT&T will unlock an AT&T locked iPhone if it's paid off or you're out of contract. You just submit a web request.

Did it for my 5s in January.

Apple also will have unlocked available at launch, at least they always have I think.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Did they get into what type of files the phone produces with photos. No RAW or DNG files? All these good camera updated and it still spits out jpegs?

Just for the sake of size comparison:

Z3 compact with a 4.6" screen:

127 x 64.9 x 8.6 mm Z3c

iPhone 6 with a 4.7" screen:

138.1 mm x 67.0 mm x 6.9 mm

I'm actually surprised how big the iPhone 6 is. It's pretty much the same size as a HTC One M7. I assumed it would have been a tad smaller. It's actually 1mm taller than the HTC One and just 1 mm less wide. I think that size is going to be a shocker to some people.

wigwag85

Banned
Thanks. I carry my 4S in my pants pocket a lot so I don't know if going to the 6+ is a good idea for me.

You get used to a large phone really quickly. Then you can't go back because browsing the internet became so much less sucky. It is worth it to have a decent sized phone.

Mononoke

Banned
shit it is? fuuuuuuck

4.7 it is then...iphone 6 vs z3c

ArsTechnica put up a PDF template of each size, so you can cut it out and compare:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-plus-find-out-with-our-handy-paper-template/

Personally, I don't think the 6 is that much bigger screen wise than the 5s. If you loved the 5s screen size, then that might actually be great (since it's a little bigger, without being massively big).

I've always wanted a bigger iPhone. But not as big as the 5.5 model (it being bigger than Note 4 is fuckin crazy). But I think i'll end up getting this model, just because of the spec benefits, as well as the 6 not being enough of a change for me from the 5s in size.

Curufinwe

You get used to a large phone really quickly. Then you can't go back because browsing the internet became so much less sucky. It is worth it to have a decent sized phone.

Since I don't have an iPad you are probably right.

I use my 4S a lot to have guides open while I play games, and the tiny screen makes it a real chore.

Mogwai

Retina Display is whatever Apple determines it to be. Probably had to keep it at that resolution for the battery usage.

I'm just very offended as "Retina" really isn't anything impressive these days. All their competitors have same or better PPI without touting it as anything special. Especially with 264 ppi on iPad Air. That's "Retina" despite the fact that anybody with non-damaged eyes can distinguish the pixels.

Except for that, the design of the iPhone 6 looks very sleek. I assume that they didn't reveal how much RAM the phone will have?

wigwag85

Banned
ArsTechnica put up a PDF template of each size, so you can cut it out and compare:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-plus-find-out-with-our-handy-paper-template/

Personally, I don't think the 6 is that much bigger screen wise than the 5s. If you loved the 5s screen size, then that might actually be great (since it's a little bigger, without being massively big).

I've always wanted a bigger iPhone. But not as big as the 5.5 model (it being bigger than Note 4 is fuckin crazy). But I think i'll end up getting this model, just because of the spec benefits, as well as the 6 not being enough of a change for me from the 5s in size.

It's a little longer than I expected. A little weird. I imagine that's about as big as a phone could get and still fit comfortably in a pocket.

Squalor

3D printable version, please?

sirap

I wish Apple would have just went with a 5 inch model instead of splitting it into 4.7 and 5.5. 5.5 is just too big, and people who use Ipads know Apple doesnt really do jack shit to take advantage of all that screen space.

BFIB

I'm just very offended as "Retina" really isn't anything impressive these days. All their competitors have same or better PPI without touting it as anything special. Especially with 264 ppi on iPad Air. That's "Retina" despite the fact that anybody with non-damaged eyes can distinguish the pixels.

Except for that, the design of the iPhone 6 looks very sleek. I assume that they didn't reveal how much RAM the phone will have?

Probably won't have the RAM number until someone guts one. Probably 1GB.

Hiko

Banned
As a gold 5s owner, I want to get the gold iphone 6 so bad. But why on earth did they make the antenna bands white? They should have just made them darker gold. Like the other two models have darker silver or gray bands.

I feel like that camera bump is going to be super annoying. I would have rather had a slightly thicker phone with no bump. Cases suck.

Top Bottom