• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Is it possible to manually turn on the lock screen during a call? This is my first iPhone and I cannot figure out how to make the power button lock the screen, instead of ending a call. Is it possible to do? I searched, but found nothing useful. I keep ending calls with my face and shit.

Owari

Is it possible to manually turn on the lock screen during a call? This is my first iPhone and I cannot figure out how to make the power button lock the screen, instead of ending a call. Is it possible to do? I searched, but found nothing useful. I keep ending calls with my face and shit.
Your face should be covering the proximity sensor, which turns the screen off. Alternatively, press speaker phone, then hit the lock button.

Iadien

Your face should be covering the proximity sensor, which turns the screen off. Alternatively, press speaker phone, then hit the lock button.

The phone needs to be right up against my head, which is uncomfortable during longer calls, which I have frequently. It was simple on android phones to just hit the power button and lock the screen manually. Why this isn't a thing on iPhone I have no idea.

Erebus

The phone needs to be right up against my head, which is uncomfortable during longer calls, which I have frequently. It was simple on android phones to just hit the power button and lock the screen manually. Why this isn't a thing on iPhone I have no idea.
Um, use your hands-free?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

It really is terrible that the lock button ends the call.

How many of you are switching from Android/Windows phone to the new iPhone? My last iPhone was the 3G, then I had the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Oneplus One, Moto X Pure (returned it in a week). I wish I gotten the Silver version of 6S+. Rose Gold is taking awhile. :(

Left windows phone last November for a one plus one, now giving iOS a try

Is there a way to turn off the little circles where people's faces go when looking at your various message lists? I don't like putting peoples pictures on my phone and I hate the dumb circle with their initials.

ijm72

Did everyone know you could force touch the left edge of your screen and swipe right to open the app switcher screen?? Mind blown for me. No more need to double click the home button. I'm always afraid in the long run I'll wear out the home button.
I've been using it a lot makes it easier to switch back to your last used app. One of the best uses of 3D Touch I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this.

Owari

Eh, dunno what to tell you. I've never run into this problem .. But if I have a phone call that lasts longer than a few minutes I switch to headphones, Bluetooth or Speaker phone cause, y'know, brain tumors.

cjp

Walked away with an iPhone 6S 64GB Space Grey. Messed around with the Plus but I always use my phone one handed and it just seemed a bit too unwieldy. Not keen on having to use two hands to use it comfortably. Maybe when they reduce bezel size in future redesigns.

Nice update from an iPhone 5 (content blockers!). Just backing up my old one now and unpairing Watch etc.

I'll have to dig through this thread and see what's occuring.

Red

Walked away with an iPhone 6S 64GB Space Grey. Messed around with the Plus but I always use my phone one handed and it just seemed a bit too unwieldy. Not keen on having to use two hands to use it comfortably. Maybe when they reduce bezel size in future redesigns.

Nice update from an iPhone 5 (content blockers!). Just backing up my old one now and unpairing Watch etc.

I'll have to dig through this thread and see what's occuring.

The 5 supports content blockers.

Is there a way to turn off the little circles where people's faces go when looking at your various message lists? I don't like putting peoples pictures on my phone and I hate the dumb circle with their initials.

I would love to know if this is possible. I tried like hell when iOS 8 came out but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Vyer

Hmm. if your face is close enough to interact with the touch screen to end calls, then i would think it should be close enough for the sensor to have turned the screen off.

Iadien

I have locked the screen while on speakerphone using the sleep/wake switch and it's never ended the call.

I don't want it on speakerphone. It's odd, because a friend of mine can lock his iPhone's screen with the power button, but he doesn't remember how he changed it to do that.

kaskade

Damn the battery life is pretty crazy on the plus. 3 hours standby and almost an hour of usage and I'm at 93%. Any tests showing how much hey Siri drains the battery compared to having it off. I feel like I won't use it much anyway but if it's pretty negligible I'll just leave it on.

Oh my God!! These are my wifi speeds at work on my 6S. 😳😳😳

7E66E772-C998-443B-90CF-6399047CB64F_zpsfomjksvi.png

Whoa that's a pretty good download speed for the UK! Who are you with?

never had that issue, the censor should turn the screen off automatically. the black dot above the speaker

how are you holding your phone? ever since my first iPhone I've held it so the screen doesn't touch my cheeks (don't want face oil in my screen)

I hold it at a slight angle so the top part of the phone touches my ear and there's a gap between my cheek and the rest of the phone, always held smart phones that way

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My Verizon LTE
image.png

Is it possible that something in my 6S is faulty?

Pretty sure your carrier is faulty. Low reception coupled with an over saturated tower will do this.

Here is a screen of my T-Mobile speed test from the basement of my house. My area isn't even upgraded to band 12 yet.

B40BFTK.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I guess you can't force touch the screen when it's off to get the lock screen eh?
That'd be a nice alternative to the home and power buttons.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Went from 6 to 6s. 6 was a great phone, but the speed difference to 6s is immediately noticeable. I couldn't even imagine having another phone as my daily driver. Wow.

Force Touch is nice (I have  watch already) though not sure what kind of a game changer. I suppose the big thing is having another system-wide gesture control without having an extra overly complicated gesture control. Waiting for those couple apps though where it's like "ok, damn"

Pretty sure your carrier is faulty. Low reception coupled with an over saturated tower will do this.

Here is a screen of my T-Mobile speed test from the basement of my house. My area isn't even upgraded to band 12 yet.

B40BFTK.jpg
But meanwhile Verizon is always hyping up their service and this xlte:/

Really thinking of switching to T-Mobile.

Why is apple's website telling me I need a credit check if I want to fully purchase an att iphone with cash? I tried tmobile and it doesn't require the same checks

riotous

Banned
Safari is driving me nuts on my 6s.

I sometimes have to click links a half dozen times to get them to do anything or I'm forced to use 3d touch.

The link will even flash, so I know the touch is registered, but nothing else happens.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I sometimes have to click links a half dozen times to get them to do anything or I'm forced to use 3d touch.

The link will even flash, so I know the touch is registered, but nothing else happens.

On mobile gaf or all websites?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I think 3D Touch changes things a bit, especially on GAF mobile. For example, I VERY QUICKLY tap links to open them now... Seems to work a lot better.

riotous

Banned
On mobile gaf or all websites?

All websites, but then it doesn't happen for a while.

I've had iPhones for 5 years and never had issues clicking links.

One of my games is completely broken too, the area for any clickable item is like 1 pixel big, there are complaints on the reviews so it's not just me.

It's similar behavior to safari, the item flashes like its clicked but the item isn't actually clicked. Clicking realllllyyyy lightly and right in the center works.

It's a tower defense game so it's basically broken as you can't spend 10 seconds trying to click empty land to add a tower. Game is Kingdom Rush origins.

See the 1 star reviews, I get the same behavior in safari sometimes:

wJZZwm9.jpg

Why is apple's website telling me I need a credit check if I want to fully purchase an att iphone with cash? I tried tmobile and it doesn't require the same checks

If you want to order an AT&T phone on Apple's website, even full price, you need to have an AT&T account for activation reasons. T-Mobile doesn't require an account with them, you just buy the phone unlocked and full price

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So the 6s has a new dual ion exchange glass, stronger than the Apple Watch one.

Apple say it's "the world's strongest smartphone glass and the most durable in the smartphone industry.", but how scratch resistant is it? Does any of you already has micro scratches, or none?

f@luS

More than a member.
Does anybody have any issue downloading big game or application ? Sometimes it just stand idle for me

Aurizen

I personally use Inbox for Gmail, it's Google's own app. It's similar to Mailbox without the extra middle-man server dealings.

I don't have a gmail for my main email I use Outlook. I've been thinking of switching to Mailbox since it's been getting good reviews. I just want to know if I'll get push notifications.

burgerdog

Did everyone know you could force touch the left edge of your screen and swipe right to open the app switcher screen?? Mind blown for me. No more need to double click the home button. I'm always afraid in the long run I'll wear out the home button.

I can't get that to work.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't have a gmail for my main email I use Outlook. I've been thinking of switching to Mailbox since it's been getting good reviews. I just want to know if I'll get push notifications.

Oh I thought you used Gmail, apologies. You can have push notifications via the normal Mail app with Outlook Exchange..

Top Bottom