• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Shun

Two brands I like are tunewear and spigen.

For those who think the Frame x Frame bumper is a bit too expensive, spigen has a nice alternative.

tunewear frame x frame
53SG7Sz.jpg
spigen

magpul. one of the highest rated by ilounge

Oh you went from 6S+ to 6S? That looks really really clean, more so than the previous one for the 5/5S. I think my purchase is justified.

PSA: Turn off Wi-Fi Assist under Cellular options. Apparently that's unintentionally making people's data plans spike up.

Depends how much you want to spend, how thin you want, how unobtrusive and minimalist it is. Don't want to recommend an ugly case to you.

I don't really care about bulk. I just want protection so if this thing goes skittering across the parking lot or lands face down when I get out of my car and shattering.

I have a tech armor edge to edge glass screen protector on it and on my 5s this was the case I used: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098FKJ04/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you look at the screen shots you can see the rubber from the case came up and over the glass. I'm looking for something similar to that if you have any suggestions. :) I'd love some red to be in it too. lol

Oh you went from 6S+ to 6S? That looks really really clean, more so than the previous one for the 5/5S. I think my purchase is justified.

Yup...! the 6s+ is a great phone and I may end up missing the 5.5 screen, but I decided I only need a simpler phone for the next year or so. Hopefully Apple will come up with a smaller design in the 7.

But yeah, the case is as thin as it gets, and I can see it's a high quality aluminum frame.

giga

I don't really care about bulk. I just want protection so if this thing goes skittering across the parking lot or lands face down when I get out of my car and shattering.

I have a tech armor edge to edge glass screen protector on it and on my 5s this was the case I used: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098FKJ04/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you look at the screen shots you can see the rubber from the case came up and over the glass. I'm looking for something similar to that if you have any suggestions. :) I'd love some red to be in it too. lol
that's exactly why i got the magpul. and with the 6s doing so well on drop tests, i'm not even bothering with a screen protector. replacement screens from apple aren't that expensive either. ($130)

riotous

Banned
No, I got it at almost 48 hours ago. There isn't much at all on the phone either, so I doubt it would take 48 hours to index it.

In the middle of resetting it.

After my reset everything is noticeably faster.

Going to take my time with my installs / settings tweaks and do thorough testing after every change.

Edit: without changing anything it is now locking up for 7-8 seconds at a time.

that's exactly why i got the magpul. and with the 6s doing so well on drop tests, i'm not even bothering with a screen protector. replacement screens from apple aren't that expensive either. ($130)

Got the links for the one you have? I see a bump case on amazon and carrying case. What's the difference?

Vyer

So after fiddling with my 6S for a day, and getting real-world use out of it, I'm really disappointed in the battery life. This, plus I thoroughly moderate background app usage, screen brightness, wi-fi, and bluetooth accordingly so that I'm not losing precious percentages when I don't need to.

I've been holding out hope that Apple would let me customize the user tray (Not sure what the official name is, but it's the one you get when you swipe up from the bottom of the home screen). Mainly, so I can add Location Services toggle to that. Or that they'd wise up and know what a battery drain it is, and let people turn it off more easily. It's currently still three menu tiers deep -or- four selections inward (not counting the lock screen). My friends' android devices have had front screen toggles for Loc. Services for many years now.

So what gives? Is there a gesture, loophole, or a shortcut that I don't know about?

Sometimes I feel like the constant micromanaging of a lot of these system settings does more harm than good.

I see folks talking about regulating Bluetooth and cell data and wifi and so on and so on and they don't often seem to have positive outcomes. I honestly feel like the phone is designed to keep all that pretty well maintained and barring special circumstances a user is better served just using their phone without the babysitting. (Not picking on you Raiden it's fairly common discussion every time a phone is released)

giga

Got the links for the one you have? I see a bump case on amazon and carrying case. What's the difference?

https://www.magpul.com/products/electronic-cases

the field case is just one semi-rigid layer, while the bump case has two layers, with the inside being a softer rubber to absorb shocks. i've owned both and they've both worked fine for the many times i've dropped my 5s and 6. the field is cheaper in price and is also more svelte.

Kibbles

Two brands I like are tunewear and spigen.

For those who think the Frame x Frame bumper is a bit too expensive, spigen has a nice alternative.

tunewear frame x frame

spigen
I wonder if the tunewear works with a cinder. I might back out of the k11 Kickstarter because it doesn't and buy this instead

bionic77

any good suggestions for cases that create a raised lip above the screen? IE if it drops down face first the case takes the impact rather than the screen.
I got the leather case from Apple for the plus and I love it.

Improves grips, greatly improved feel and looks great.

Has a decent lip that I think would be pretty good against most drops but most people here will probably be able to better advise you and it is on the expensive side (50 bucks):

ramyeon

I love my 6S, it's such a step up from the 5 I had before it's ridiculous. Only thing I'm not liking is that I settled with a silicone case since they didn't have the colour I wanted left in the leather. Gonna go back and exchange it once they get stock in.

Also does anyone else notice that the stock camera app seems to jack up the ISO really high in low light? Seems to overcompensate sometimes and has a lot of noise in the image as a result.

Aurizen

Yup but as it's not official i would avoid doing it. I'm almost certain the moisture detection sticker inside your phone will go off voiding your warranty.

Wouldn't apple need some certification to say that it is waterproof? I seen videos of the 6 in water but the sound didn't work.

so anyone notice you can peek and pop the app switch? It actually gives a Taptic feedback.

Hm? Mine doesn't do that

I can use peek and pop in the tab switch view in Safari, but it's SUPER sensitive. It doesn't do the two stage feedback (one for peek, one for pop), you just lightly hold down a tab to preview, and then the first stage selects it

NYR

Hm? Mine doesn't do that

I can use peek and pop in the tab switch view in Safari, but it's SUPER sensitive. It doesn't do the two stage feedback (one for peek, one for pop), you just lightly hold down a tab to preview, and then the first stage selects it
Press a bit harder.

sdornan

Has anyone come across any backlighting uniformity issues? My phone has a diagonal band that's a darker than the rest of the screen about 1/3 of the way down. It's a shadowing effect and is most prominent on white backgrounds. I've tried to ignore it the past couple days, but I'm probably going to exchange it.

RDreamer

Owari

I'm really impressed with the battery life of the 6S. Yesterday I used it for 8 hours almost constantly while it was syncing a music playlist to my watch and it was only at 15% by the end of the day. Today I kept it in low power mode all day and it barely dropped below 70%. Fucking amazing. I do turn off push email, hey Siri and a few other useless settings though.. But I have the dynamic wallpaper and a live lock screen.. Nbd.

Knoxcore

So is there any real benefit to iCloud over Google Photos for photo management? I told my mom to use Google because I use it but wondering if anything noteworthy has changed.

subrock

so anyone notice you can peek and pop the app switch? It actually gives a Taptic feedback.
Oh super neat. Was wondering how to trigger that as some press and swipes seemed to pop and app, and some seemed to open the switcher. I think just pressing in the edge pan area is way nicer/ more predictable

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But meanwhile Verizon is always hyping up their service and this xlte:/

Really thinking of switching to T-Mobile.

Here in Seattle at least, T-Mobile is way faster. I've seen upwards of 90 Mbps on their LTE network (usually around 60 near my house) using the Speedtest app. Verizon and AT&T never show speeds like that.

Did everyone know you could force touch the left edge of your screen and swipe right to open the app switcher screen?? Mind blown for me. No more need to double click the home button. I'm always afraid in the long run I'll wear out the home button.

Wow, that's really cool. Thanks for the tip!

Aurizen

Here in Seattle at least, T-Mobile is way faster. I've seen upwards of 90 Mbps on their LTE network (usually around 60 near my house) using the Speedtest app. Verizon and AT&T never show speeds like that.

Wow, that's really cool. Thanks for the tip!

Seattle, is T-Mobile headquarters city of course its blazing fast haha.

giga

Did everyone know you could force touch the left edge of your screen and swipe right to open the app switcher screen?? Mind blown for me. No more need to double click the home button. I'm always afraid in the long run I'll wear out the home button.
This works for me, but it seems like you have to use a lot of force, which doesn't feel natural to me. Sometimes I'll go back in Safari or Spotlight will open.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
After using this for a few days -- man, what an amazing phone. Even coming from a great phone (5S), the upgrade in terms of speed and lack of hiccups is substantial.

Streaming all kinds of HD content and GIF threads without a single hitch. First time I genuinely feel like I don't need my PC anymore (for basic content consumption).

Persona7

Banned
Have fun getting it fixed.

I am pretty sure it didn't go through because they want me to upgrade my old plan and pay $20 more per month for each line on my plan. I already can't make any changes or add any new lines without switching to the new plan.

If I press any harder I'm breaking this screen. App switcher doesn't do any sort of response/feedback for me with 3d touch

Ohhhhhhhhh you meant peek and pop to get to the app switcher, not peek and pop ON the apps in the app switcher

See that's what I was trying to do

jstripes

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it waterproof, or as close to waterproof as possible. It cuts down on repair cases for accidental drops in water. But I can understand why they wouldn't announce it: Too many stupid people would take it as a challenge and see how far they can push it, or casually go swimming with it or something.

Press on the side, and drag to the left, once you see the screen shift a bit and and show a bit of the pages of other apps, push a bit harder and you'll get the feedback and the open app switcher will fully show up.

Right, I thought they were saying once you were IN the app switcher you could peek in on the apps and pop them open

bionic77

After using this for a few days -- man, what an amazing phone. Even coming from a great phone (5S), the upgrade in terms of speed and lack of hiccups is substantial.

Streaming all kinds of HD content and GIF threads without a single hitch. First time I genuinely feel like I don't need my PC anymore (for basic content consumption).
Yeah now the only thing holding up GIFs is the time for them to load with my shit connection.

Weird seeing that speed on a phone.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Hello GAF ! This is my first post. Got my Gold 6s+ Friday, and I love it. I'm usually an Android guy, but after getting my MacBook Pro I felt it was time to get an iPhone. And being an Android guy I knew to go for the 6s+ since I'm used to big phones. I was surprised that the phone isn't even all that big as people talk it up to be. It's perfect. The regular 6s must be tiny ! I'm sending my Apple leather cases back to Apple and getting my money back as I didn't really like them, and I am a #teamnaked 95% percent of the time. But I do have the Rearth Rignke (I believe that's how you spell it) on the way from Amazon tomorrow. It's a clear case that actually looks decent for only 10 dollars and reviewers on YouTube were saying it is one of the best cases. It's actually the best selling case on Amazon.

Juice

Press on the side, and drag to the left, once you see the screen shift a bit and and show a bit of the pages of other apps, push a bit harder and you'll get the feedback and the open app switcher will fully show up.

Yeah I suspect most people knew about this. Your original post made it sound like there was some kind of contextual 3D Touch behavior inside the app switcher itself.

LOL article implies (non-vanilla) Lollipop actually made devices faster, "but that's not the case with iOS 9"!

Anyways, outside of very specific software-hitches, iOS 9 was only faster for me. If 9.1's performance improvements are true, which they likely are, given that iOS 9 was a partial graphics stack rewrite to Metal, which is bound to create some bugs, the OS is positioned to be in the best place performance-wise since iOS 6. (And if it's not, then yeah, Apple will be kind of an asshole).

On my iPhone 6 with IOS9 I noticed things getting a bit weird. Stalls when I didn't expect them and so on.

Then I looked at the preference for "search" and found it "search inside" default enabled for what looked like about 200 apps (games and whatnot). So I went down the list turning it off for every single one, it took ages.

Haven't had the same weird stalls since I did that.

mandiller

On my iPhone 6 with IOS9 I noticed things getting a bit weird. Stalls when I didn't expect them and so on.

Then I looked at the preference for "search" and found it "search inside" default enabled for what looked like about 200 apps (games and whatnot). So I went down the list turning it off for every single one, it took ages.

Haven't had the same weird stalls since I did that.

It could have been caching and indexing all your apps and information for spotlight search. Might come good after a little while

Top Bottom