• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I can't get that to work.

The area you need to touch is kinda narrow, it's basically the anywhere left of the left-most column of icon. Highlighted here:
J1A0H05.png

I'm having trouble getting it to work every time, but I think that's cause my finger tends to slide a little bit before pressing straight down. Changing the 3D touch settings to require a lighter force seems to help.

Also, if you slide it a little bit to the right after activating, you get into the normal mulitasking view. If you slide a lot to the right, it will immediately switch to your last used app, which is really nice.

Did everyone know you could force touch the left edge of your screen and swipe right to open the app switcher screen?? Mind blown for me. No more need to double click the home button. I'm always afraid in the long run I'll wear out the home button.
is there any gestures like that for going to the home screen

like I wanna use the home button press as less as possible

Aurizen

Oh I thought you used Gmail, apologies. You can have push notifications via the normal Mail app with Outlook Exchange..

I see, I would have to use the default mail app right? I want to move away from that though and use possible Mailbox app. the default app gives me server errors sometimes and I get my email late.

That's still quite a bit of movement just to get to the home screen, might as well press the button imo

Yeah, if I could get to multitask view from 3D touch more reliably it might be more practical. It's good to know in case your home button breaks or something, though.

if you have only one app open its literally one swipe

It's actually always one swipe, it's to the right of the current app you have open.

riotous

Banned
Got an email claiming my first loan payment failed on one of my phones, registered on the citizens one's website and it's like a site from 1998 with zero info.

Put both of my loans in and it claims I have zero balance and no mention of the failed loan payment.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mix of 3G/4G web browsing, 52% battery after 3 hours. iPhone 6s without the battery saver. Not impressed.
Did you restore from a backup? Phone is possibly still loading and indexing.

Got mine at 11 and by the time I was at my old home screen I was at 78%. After a couple of hours at 29%. Still have a handful of apps to go and results from search are VERY sketchy so who knows how long left on indexing.

Did you restore from a backup? Phone is possibly still loading and indexing.

Got mine at 11 and by the time I was at my old home screen I was at 78%. After a couple of hours at 29%. Still have a handful of apps to go and results from search are VERY sketchy so who knows how long left on indexing.

Yeah I saw Rene Ritchie tweet to give iOS9 a day to finish indexing before judging battery/performance.

cjp

After resorting a backup onto my new 6S I've got 3 apps that won't install.

They just hang on download. Tried rebooting, tired deleting and redownloading but nothing. It's also happening with one app on my dads (different to the apps I'm having a problem with).

Any ideas? I don't want to set up as new due to losing all my activity and health and fitness stuff for the Watch.

Ninja Dom

I've had this iPhone for 2 and a half days now and I fucking love it. I keep pulling the phone out of my pocket to play with it, look at it, admire it. And I'm coming from using an iPhone 6 for a year too.

After resorting a backup onto my new 6S I've got 3 apps that won't install.

They just hang on download. Tried rebooting, tired deleting and redownloading but nothing. It's also happening with one app on my dads (different to the apps I'm having a problem with).

Any ideas? I don't want to set up as new due to losing all my activity and health and fitness stuff for the Watch.

The app store was acting really weird for me on my 6 right after updating to iOS9. I really have no idea what the problem was. It went away after a day.

Try resetting by hold down the power button + home button, if that doesn't work just delete the apps and try installing them again tomorrow.

Aurizen

Wow seems like indexing is an issue I hope tomorrow I won't have much of an issue with my apps not installing or hanging when restoring.

Enco

My phone stopped hanging about 48 hours after purchase.

Kinda weird but good. Siri randomly stops working now though. Plus the phone still warms up at the top.

edit: wow. The wifi speed difference is insane +20mbps at home

cjp

The app store was acting really weird for me on my 6 right after updating to iOS9. I really have no idea what the problem was. It went away after a day.

Try resetting by hold down the power button + home button, if that doesn't work just delete the apps and try installing them again tomorrow.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

If I'm getting ~85Mbps on my directly connected computer and 6s is only getting ~20Mbps on wifi, what could be limiting the speed?

T-mobile is also only pushing ~20Mbps on LTE in my area so it's a bit frustrating :(

PreFire

The area you need to touch is kinda narrow, it's basically the anywhere left of the left-most column of icon. Highlighted here:

I'm having trouble getting it to work every time, but I think that's cause my finger tends to slide a little bit before pressing straight down. Changing the 3D touch settings to require a lighter force seems to help.

Also, if you slide it a little bit to the right after activating, you get into the normal mulitasking view. If you slide a lot to the right, it will immediately switch to your last used app, which is really nice.
The edges of my case kind of make it an inconsistent feature for me. Can't get it to work every time.

Ninja Dom

If I'm getting ~85Mbps on my directly connected computer and 6s is only getting ~20Mbps on wifi, what could be limiting the speed?

T-mobile is also only pushing ~20Mbps on LTE in my area so it's a bit frustrating :(

Dunno because the 6S has the fastest wifi ability of all the iPhones. Connect your computer via wifi to your router. What do you get?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Your router that is putting out the wifi might suck.

Thaedolus

Went camping this weekend, took a bunch of live photos with the fam bam...it seemed kind of dumb at first but when you really pay attention to what you can do, you can get some really cute stuff. The camera quality front and back is amazing on this thing.

Red

Seems unfair people are able to reserve phones and pick them up in store at-will in some places, when my preorder is still scheduled for after October 13th :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I see, I would have to use the default mail app right? I want to move away from that though and use possible Mailbox app. the default app gives me server errors sometimes and I get my email late.
Tried the official Outlook app?

I personally don't use Mailbox because I can't have my emails tunnelled through a third party server.

Shun

Here's what the Frame X Frame looks like--

Made an album because why not lol. Weighs 12 grams : album (please excuse phone camera)

How is it on your phone? Photos of it on your 6S and how you like it so far?

Mine hasn't come in yet since their Rose Gold bumpers were delayed for a week. Will be getting mine in this week tho.

Anyone else smell their Rose Gold iPhone after opening?

Seems unfair people are able to reserve phones and pick them up in store at-will in some places, when my preorder is still scheduled for after October 13th :(

Apple has handled a lot of iPhone releases that way. This year they're doing reservations, in years past they were getting stock at their retail stores almost daily for walk ins.

riotous

Banned
Definitely something wrong with my 6s.

Randomly locks up for 3-5 seconds. I just got it to do it twice with the double click app switcher. Double click, totally remove my hand from the phone, about 4 seconds later it jumps to app switcher. Did it again, same result.

It does this for any and all actions across all apps, could be in the browser, in what's app, in a text, in the main OS, etc. I click, click appears to register, but the action doesn't occur for a few seconds.

Then it doesn't do it for a while but the phone still seems a little slow; used my wife's 6s for a few minutes and every single action seemed way smoother than my phone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Definitely something wrong with my 6s.

Randomly locks up for 3-5 seconds. I just got it to do it twice with the double click app switcher. Double click, totally remove my hand from the phone, about 4 seconds later it jumps to app switcher. Did it again, same result.

It does this for any and all actions across all apps, could be in the browser, in what's app, in a text, in the main OS, etc. I click, click appears to register, but the action doesn't occur for a few seconds.

Then it doesn't do it for a while but the phone still seems a little slow; used my wife's 6s for a few minutes and every single action seemed way smoother than my phone.

Did you set yours up today? I noticed these mini freezes go away after a day or two of usage. Might be related to this indexing thing I keep hearing about.

Dunno because the 6S has the fastest wifi ability of all the iPhones. Connect your computer via wifi to your router. What do you get?

Unfortunately don't have an adapter on my desktop, but on my laptop I'm getting ~15Mbps. I know right? I was excited and then I see those numbers haha.
Your router that is putting out the wifi might suck.
I'm starting to think so, too. I do have this one but it's seen a lot of use. It overheats too, so maybe I'll consider getting a new one.

How is it on your phone? Photos of it on your 6S and how you like it so far?

Mine hasn't come in yet since their Rose Gold bumpers were delayed for a week. Will be getting mine in this week tho.

Anyone else smell their Rose Gold iPhone after opening?

It's a great fit and doesn't add too much to the weight or width with just 12 grams. The Space Gray aluminum is color matched super well and texture is very similar too.
TPU mold isn't soft, but more of a firm plastic that stretches. Probably the same as the old Frame x Frame :)
Sad to see it go though, since I've switched to the regular 6s. If my friend doesn't want to buy it, I may see if there's anyone interested here.

53SG7Sz.jpg
FramexFrame case

Hattori

Banned
Going caseless has really made me appreciate the 6-series design, it just feels premium in the hand and I've finally got the chance to enjoy the subtle curve on the edges. If I had to rank them all it would be 4-series > 6-series > Original > 5-series > 3-Series. Can't wait to see what the 7 can bring to the table.

riotous

Banned
Did you set yours up today? I noticed these mini freezes go away after a day or two of usage. Might be related to this indexing thing I keep hearing about.

No, I got it at almost 48 hours ago. There isn't much at all on the phone either, so I doubt it would take 48 hours to index it.

In the middle of resetting it.

RaidenZR

So after fiddling with my 6S for a day, and getting real-world use out of it, I'm really disappointed in the battery life. This, plus I thoroughly moderate background app usage, screen brightness, wi-fi, and bluetooth accordingly so that I'm not losing precious percentages when I don't need to.

I've been holding out hope that Apple would let me customize the user tray (Not sure what the official name is, but it's the one you get when you swipe up from the bottom of the home screen). Mainly, so I can add Location Services toggle to that. Or that they'd wise up and know what a battery drain it is, and let people turn it off more easily. It's currently still three menu tiers deep -or- four selections inward (not counting the lock screen). My friends' android devices have had front screen toggles for Loc. Services for many years now.

So what gives? Is there a gesture, loophole, or a shortcut that I don't know about?

any good suggestions for cases that create a raised lip above the screen? IE if it drops down face first the case takes the impact rather than the screen.

Shun

It's a great fit and doesn't add too much to the weight or width with just 12 grams. The Space Gray aluminum is color matched super well and texture is very similar too.
TPU mold isn't soft, but more of a firm plastic that stretches. Probably the same as the old Frame x Frame :)
Sad to see it go though, since I've switched to the regular 6s. If my friend doesn't want to buy it, I may see if there's anyone interested here.

Oh you went from 6S+ to 6S? That looks really really clean, more so than the previous one for the 5/5S. I think my purchase is justified.

PSA: Turn off Wi-Fi Assist under Cellular options. Apparently that's unintentionally making people's data plans spike up.

any good suggestions for cases that create a raised lip above the screen? IE if it drops down face first the case takes the impact rather than the screen.

Depends how much you want to spend, how thin you want, how unobtrusive and minimalist it is. Don't want to recommend an ugly case to you.

Top Bottom