• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Apt101

I use a pouch, which allows me some protection and to use the case naked... my only problem is how damn slippery it is. I'd actually be interested in putting some kind of transparent skin on the back for the purpose of grip alone but I haven't looked into it.

I went without a case for a few days, but after nearly dropping it I opted to go with the thinnest clear plastic case I could find - not so much for the protection, but really for grip. But I could tell one really doesn't even need a case with this thing. The aluminum is solid and hard to scratch.

Guys I need help and I'm about to lose my mind. I just got my first smartphone - Iphone 4s from my dad.

I'm trying to take a pic. I touched an icon in the top right that looks like a camera two arrows in it. The scree went black and I can't get it to go back. I haven't been able to word my google search correctly to figure out what I did and how I go back to pictures. help?

Deltoid

Banned
is it worth getting a screen protector for my 6s+? Ordered one of those thanotech bumpers, but not sure if that'll be enough. I want the phone to be as naked as possible, but people say the back scratches easily too :/ I'd like to hold the resale value of the device, so I'm probably best off getting a screen protector + skin right?

Guys I need help and I'm about to lose my mind. I just got my first smartphone - Iphone 4s from my dad.

I'm trying to take a pic. I touched an icon in the top right that looks like a camera two arrows in it. The scree went black and I can't get it to go back. I haven't been able to word my google search correctly to figure out what I did and how I go back to pictures. help?

If you can close the app from the home button, do that. Then double-tap the home button and close the camera app from the switcher. If the phone is frozen and the camera can't be closed, do a hard reset (hold the home button and power button down until you see the Apple logo)

is it worth getting a screen protector for my 6s+? Ordered one of those thanotech bumpers, but not sure if that'll be enough. I want the phone to be as naked as possible, but people say the back scratches easily too :/ I'd like to hold the resale value of the device, so I'm probably best off getting a screen protector + skin right?
Yeah I'd get a glass one since they feel as good as natural.

Apt101

I don't see the point of a screen protector when one is dealing with glass as resilient as this, but I guess it never hurts. Worst thing might be aesthetics and possibly less response theoretically.

Deltoid

Banned
okay so I got my iphone today, but it keeps freezing (only hard reset fixes it) :/ across different apps, so nothing I can pinpoint. Is it worth resetting, or do I have to take it into apple? It's happened 5 times across the last few hours, using ios 9.1

Anion

I had a Zagg screen glass protector, but then I ended up replacing that phone. Returned it and haven't used a screen protector since. Its been almost 1.75 months without a protector and the phone has no major scratches. Just one small, surface scratch cause of all the abuse it undergoes when I pull it out of my right jean pocket. I hate that small metal fastener on jeans above the pocket area. Regardless, that scratch cannot be seen easily. You have to look at the phone from an angle.

Tl, dr; The screen is tougher than the 5S screen. That thing got scratched within the first 2 weeks, let alone the first month. This 6S screen is definitely a major improvement.

Also, I ended up adding a Skinomi clear skin on the back of the phone last night in preparation for the K11 bumper that one day will arrive lol.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

You don't need a screen protector nor a case. The screen doesn't scratch easily neither does the back. It's just propaganda from hysteria of people who are way too over protective of inanimate objects. I never use a case or screen protector, and never will.

Vyer

Deltoid, use a case/protector if you feel it will be useful. Only you know how you use the device, how likely you are to drop it or put it in situations (like say accidentally putting it in a pocket with something) that might damage it, or how annoying it would be to you to have a damaged phone or have to go through the process to get it fixed.

It's perfectly fine to go case free (and certainly desirable), but there is no magic at work here where the phone is impervious to damage.

Akira

In group messages on iMessages, my contact is included in the group. So when I text the group, I send it out and then I receive a text from myself. Anyone know why this is happening?

AllenShrz

So to us Team no case guys, how is your phone holding up ? My 6s+ is doing good, except for a while ago when I dropped it trying to get into the car, so it has a few dings on it, but no big deal. The 6s+ with no case is such a sleek and premium feel and the way it is intended to be used.

Just as new.

Red

Two things that consistently bug me about the 6s+: 1. reachability does not pull down iMessage banners 2. 3D Touch does not open task switcher in landscape

I kind of wish reachability would also shift the screen right (or left, with a toggle) like 1/4 inch. Hitting Q, the 123/ABC key, and 1 are a little tough without shifting my hand.

I've had this thing a while now and I vastly prefer using the regular 6. So much more comfortable. But the battery improvement is too much to pass on.

Deltoid

Banned
You don't need a screen protector nor a case. The screen doesn't scratch easily neither does the back. It's just propaganda from hysteria of people who are way too over protective of inanimate objects. I never use a case or screen protector, and never will.

Deltoid, use a case/protector if you feel it will be useful. Only you know how you use the device, how likely you are to drop it or put it in situations (like say accidentally putting it in a pocket with something) that might damage it, or how annoying it would be to you to have a damaged phone or have to go through the process to get it fixed.

It's perfectly fine to go case free (and certainly desirable), but there is no magic at work here where the phone is impervious to damage.

I'm pretty careful with my phones, and my right jean pocket is exclusively for my phone (although im sure that's giving me cancer or some shit), so I think I'm okay to go caseless. I ordered a dbrand skin just for some extra grip, but I had to return my phone today (faulty unit), so I won't know if it's an improvement until thursday when I get the replacement.

Tempted to get a thanotech bumper just for peace of mind, but I think I'm all good for now.

This is the first phone where I enjoy using it with a case more than without. Usually with my past phones I'd take the case off as soon as I got home, but this phone is too damn skinny. I have a brown leather case so it's not too imposing and looks elegant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just took a call on my iPad. Phone was in another room and I was using my iPad so it rang and I answered. The call quality was fine.

Is this what the future feels like?

So not sure where to post this so I'll try here. I love my iPhone 6, but the disappearing memory issue is such a pain. In about an hour I lost 1gig of internal memory and I have no idea how. I didn't add any new apps or music. In fact I use Apple Music instead of downloading tracks, and even then it only uses about 300 mbs of memory. Checking in settings, no app is bigger than 300 which is used by photos.

This issue happened to me before but after I updated to new iOS it suddenly freed up 4 gigs of memory which was awesome. I know that "other" eats up a lot of memory but there has to be a way to figure this out.

I did use a phone cleaning program in the past but it no longer works since I updated to new iOS. Anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

Red

None of them work particularly well imo. They appear inconsistently and can be slow to start. I wish Apple would implement swipe typing into the stock keyboard. Their third party solutions are not great.

dLMN8R

Is anyone having frequent issues where Touch ID simply doesn't work on the 6S Plus?

My hands aren't dirty or anything, and there's nothing visible on the home button, but when Touch ID stops working I need to wipe off the home button with a tissue or something before it'll start working again.

What is the best "swipe" keyboard out there for iPhone?

Trying out SwiftKey right now.

I've had a good experience with Sype. Very accurate. But it has the same problem as all other 3rd-party keyboards - no support for the 3D Touch "trackpad" feature.

Im about to lose it guys.
Been trying to update to the latest firmware on my iPhone 6 and its not working.

if I press update now in my iphone settings area its says: Unable to install Update: an error occured installing iOS9.1

I tried using iTunes as well but then it just asks me to back it up, I have it set to icloud and for some reason iTunes when it backes up it says I have not enough space on my laptop to back up. For some reason its not recognizing that I have the settings for iCloud and not my damn laptop HDD. Fuck I hate apple making these so fucking hard.

I have googled and some are saying that if you have anything broken on the phone apple wont let you update to the latest firmware. My touch ID is broken...

so now, is there anyother way I can just update to the latest firmware?
Is it possible to put the phone in DFU mode and update it with a downloaded firmware that rests on my laptop HDD?

Is anyone having frequent issues where Touch ID simply doesn't work on the 6S Plus?

My hands aren't dirty or anything, and there's nothing visible on the home button, but when Touch ID stops working I need to wipe off the home button with a tissue or something before it'll start working again.

I've had a good experience with Sype. Very accurate. But it has the same problem as all other 3rd-party keyboards - no support for the 3D Touch "trackpad" feature.

Yeah, sometimes my 6S Plus doesn't want to recognize my thumb print, I think if your finger is on the sweatier/oilier side it has some issues. I have issues with it especially at the gym. Other times I'd even use a portion of my print and it'll recognize it immediately. So I dunno.

VertPin

Couldn't find a thread and was too afraid of making a new one in fear that one DID exist...

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/03/kgi-4-inch-iphone-mid-2016-a9-nfc-metal/

iPhone 6C or iPhone 7 Mini will only have an 8MP camera with a 1.2 MP front facing, and lacks 3D touch. WTF? There are other rumors posted on the forums as well.

As someone with a 5S and was really excited for the iPhone 7 Mini rumors...this has me bummed. I really am hoping for an A10, 2GB of RAM, and with 12MP camera or bust (with 3D touch as well), Apple. Why does Apple need to fragment their lineup? the 4 inch screen model doesn't need to be super budget friendly. I love the portability of my 5S, this blows.

edit: eh, this is a 6s topic. suppose i'll get over my fear and make a new one!

DCS

Banned
Couldn't find a thread and was too afraid of making a new one in fear that one DID exist...

iPhone 6C or iPhone 7 Mini will only have an 8MP camera with a 1.2 MP front facing, and lacks 3D touch. WTF? There are other rumors posted on the forums as well.

As someone with a 5S and was really excited for the iPhone 7 Mini rumors...this has me bummed. I really am hoping for an A10, 2GB of RAM, and with 12MP camera or bust (with 3D touch as well), Apple. Why does Apple need to fragment their lineup? the 4 inch screen model doesn't need to be super budget friendly. I love the portability of my 5S, this blows.

It's a rumour.

neurosyphilis

Yep, it's annoying. And i keep having to re register my thumb print, every once in a while.

neurosyphilis

edit: eh, this is a 6s topic. suppose i'll get over my fear and make a new one!

The regular 6s is already tiny.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone interested in my iPhone 6S Plus in Rose Gold? I never bothered to open it. I bought a Nexus 6P instead. It's a 64GB and it's unlocked. Brand new, sealed in box, warranty. $850 shipped OBO be reasonable. I will eat the tax and shipping for being an impulsive chump.

W2pY2qU.jpg

Anyone interested in my iPhone 6S Plus in Rose Gold? I never bothered to open it. I bought a Nexus 6P instead. It's a 64GB and it's unlocked. Brand new, sealed in box, warranty. $850 shipped. I will eat the tax and shipping for being an impulsive chump.

In a world where the Canadian dollar and customs fees wouldn't destroy me, maybe. Nice phone though!

...Also brings up a question - did Apple finally manage to merge all North American frequency bands into one chipset, or must one still ask for the model or intended network?

br3wnor

Just ordered a Space Gray 6S+ 64gb, have had my upgrade available since May but decided to go as long as my iPhone 5 would take me, it's finally starting to break down and I got a $100 off deal so pulled the trigger.

I've only ever had 8 or 16gb iPhone so really looking forward to the expanded storage. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to get used to the size of the Plus but I'll have 2 weeks to return it if it's too big. Improved battery plus the thought of comics on the screen size sold me, we'll see. I've had the 5 for 3 years so definitely a long overdue upgrade. Gonna check out this thread while I wait for the phone to get here on Wednesday.

Also going to attempt going caseless, I don't have any warranty or anything so kind of risky but I've had no case on my 5 for about a year now and don't know if I can go back to the bulkiness.

Number45

The size is a minor inconvenience (but it IS an inconvenience in my opinion) that you'll all but forget about once you get accustomed to the battery life.

br3wnor

Yeah battery life is really big for me, especially since my 5's battery is at the point where I'll have to do 2 full charges in a day because of how fast it drains now. Everything I've read says you can pretty much get a full day of heavy use out of it w/out having to charge (minus long gaming sessions or something really taxing) so that would be perfect.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So was helping my little cousin install an app on his 4 and wow I was shocked at how tiny it was. I looked at my old 4S again and now I can see why people who had bigger phones before me saw were shocked at small my phone was. I was looking at it like what that's what I was dealing with for 4 years?.

Nelo Ice

Banned
oh shit I finally got round to sideloading flux. using my phone at night now feels 100000x better.

Wait it's working again?. I thought apple shut it down. I wish I could have taken advantage but even if I did I don't have a mac for the workaround :(.

Deltoid

Banned
Wait it's working again?. I thought apple shut it down. I wish I could have taken advantage but even if I did I don't have a mac for the workaround :(.

okay it was a lot of effort but definitely worth it imo. A copy of the files were uploaded to github here, so just download the zip, open the project in xcode, rename it and log in with your apple id (you don't need a dev licence), run it then you're done. The issue is I don't have a mac either, so I used VMWare to install a copy of OS X so I could run Xcode.

Nelo Ice

Banned
okay it was a lot of effort but definitely worth it imo. A copy of the files were uploaded to github here, so just download the zip, open the project in xcode, rename it and log in with your apple id (you don't need a dev licence), run it then you're done. The issue is I don't have a mac either, so I used VMWare to install a copy of OS X so I could run Xcode.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like too much legwork without a mac but I know plenty of people with a mac. So next time I see one of them I'll just ask if I can use it to install flux lol.

FerranMG

oh shit I finally got round to sideloading flux. using my phone at night now feels 100000x better.

Been using it myself for the last few days.
It's very cool to finally have the ability to dim the screen at night, but the app is sooooo buggy that I'm struggling to keep using it. :(

Side question: anybody knows why do you have to rename the bundle before side-loading the app in XCode?

Number45

Excuse the double post, but can anyone confirm that the Apple cases (leather/silicon) don't impede the swipe action from left to right of the screen for the task switcher? I had a Spigen TPU at launch and it basically made that action impossible.

Eklesp

Excuse the double post, but can anyone confirm that the Apple cases (leather/silicon) don't impede the swipe action from left to right of the screen for the task switcher? I had a Spigen TPU at launch and it basically made that action impossible.

I have an Apple leather case on a 6s+ and have no issue with those actions. You do touch the edge of the case when you do them, but they work fine.

pbsapeer

Banned
Man got a weird small cluster of really bright white pixels on my 6s. Came apparent over the weekend. Apple support are a bit poor tbh, I thought they'd just send a replacement but they want me to either go into store (25 miles away) or send it off and be without a phone for a while :(
Anyone else have this issue?

Wow I swear I checked it yesterday in the morning and it wasn't out haha. Sweet! Here's hoping for silky smooth force touch animations for my 6s plus!

Top Bottom