• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

This is going to be me until the iPhone 6s+ is back in stock at the apple store for the upgrade program

ibc9lEbU5xZJRj.gif

Have an estimate from T-Mobile for my Space Grey 6S+ but still no estimate for the Rose Gold model. Hope it's not too far off from release if it is delayed.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
My accessories came, I thought I'd share some pics.

I ordered a new leather case after hearing the 6S models were fractionally larger than the 6, so assumed I'd need a new one. Then I hear that the cases are unchanged so I have a bit of buyer's remorse, though since I'm gifting my 6+ to my brother he can have the old case too. Anyway...

The box does say 6S now, so I thought maybe there is a difference after all.

Doesn't look like it though. I don't have any callipers to gauge it, just my eyeballs.

You can see how the leather has worn over a year, the embossing has faded a little.

The dock is a nice weighty lump of metal and lightning connector.

There's no click in place, it slides in easy, ooh matron. Nice to see it's got an audio out, though to be honest every dock should.

Phone doesn't come for 3 more weeks!

Not wanting to use a shitty Android device makes you a sheep apparently. Not to mention Android has a bigger marketshare thus more sheep.

Can we not. It's stupid picture but you don't even know if he uses an Android and it makes you no different for being petty and calling Android shitty when it's not. Ugh.....

Moving on, has anyone gotten their update from T-mobile on a shipping date. Like I called and signed the contract and all of that but I still receive nothing regarding shipment. I'm starting to get antsy now :(

Also, any know of any good bumper cases that are magnificent for this phone? I saw some spot on bgr for this Kickstarter company making a metal bumper case for the phone but I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a finished product

Number45

Does the phone sit on top of the (I assume) rubber bit at the base of the lightning connector? That seems like a terrible idea.

Can we not. It's stupid picture but you don't even know if he uses an Android and it makes you no different for being petty and calling Android shitty when it's not. Ugh.....

Moving on, has anyone gotten their update from T-mobile on a shipping date. Like I called and signed the contract and all of that but I still receive nothing regarding shipment. I'm starting to get antsy now :(

Also, any know of any good bumper cases that are magnificent for this phone? I saw some spot on bgr for this Kickstarter company making a metal bumper case for the phone but I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a finished product

I got an email this morning confirming my ship date as 9/24.
Edit: 6S+ 64GB Space Gray

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Does the phone sit on top of the (I assume) rubber bit at the base of the lightning connector?

It does indeed. It looks precarious, but it's actually well balanced - just heavy enough to keep it upright but light enough to let go if you knock it. I wouldn't use it for an iPad though.

Scarphace

Got an email from tmobile saying 6S+ 64GB SG will ship on the 24th. I guess they weren't lying when they said they will hold my place in line after the re order.

TylerD

A big meh i say to AT&T:

Order status: In progress
We're preparing your order, and we'll let you know once it's ready.

Your order is being prepared for shipping. If you placed order within the past 24 hours, some information may not be available yet.
Estimated ship dates: October 16, 2015 - October 23, 2015

-------

I think it's funny they have 2 status descriptions listed under In progress. The top one is accurate. I'm not getting my 6s plus anytime soon.

RDreamer

My AT&T order still says "Preparing to Ship" and has estimated dates of October 16-23. I'm gonna be real proper pissed off if they're selling these things in store on the 25th and haven't shipped mine out.

Gaaraz

Hoping to pick up one of these (T-Mobile) in the US in a few weeks to bring back to the UK :)

Just wondering, I don't have any data plan whatsoever, so would disabling iMessage be a good idea? If I'm outside of WiFi will the messages just come through as SMS, or will they fail to be received at all?

Thank you

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hoping to pick up one of these (T-Mobile) in the US in a few weeks to bring back to the UK :)

Just wondering, I don't have any data plan whatsoever, so would disabling iMessage be a good idea? If I'm outside of WiFi will the messages just come through as SMS, or will they fail to be received at all?

Thank you

Why get a smartphone if you don't have any data? Sounds like a terrible waste of money.

I would just disable iMessage all together to avoid the risk of the phone using it. It doesn't really provide anything you would need over texting.

Gaaraz

Thank you, I'll make sure to disable iMessage :)

I need it for work unfortunately. I do still use a lot of the smartphone features though (browsing when I have WiFi, gaming, camera) - probably use it for an hour or two a day on average, just not on mobile data.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Another day, another two calls to Tmobile, and still no EIP.

And my email to the johnlegere email address is unanswered 24 hours later. Bunch of morons.

I guarantee if I had been yelling at them this entire time I would have gotten some sort of credit at least. That is why people are dicks to customer service people. Because they have to be to get stuff done. If you don't want to be yelled at, hook your nice customers up with compensation for fucking up.

LordOfChaos

Was there any doubt that it's just a 2-core CPU once again?

Well, with 70% perf gain and already having the highest IPC of any smartphone (that's per core, per clock, before anyone disagrees and shows another phones higher multicore scores), it would have been crazy impressive to do it through per-core performance again...Which it seems they did if this is true. Man, they just hugely bolstered their single threaded performance lead.

28% clock bump makes it easier, but the rest still has to be through IPC, which is insane given how wide their cores already were.

Ninja Dom

Thank you

Yes it would be a good idea. iMessages WILL eventually come to your phone once you have wifi but I don't know how late you'll be to respond.

iMessage is one of the highlights of the iPhone for me. My most used app. I love how it doesn't compress pictures down when you send them. It does compress video though, no 60fps.

But as the poster above said, it's a lot of money to spend on a phone especially with no data plan. I'm also in the UK and there's some really good monthly Sim Only plans right now this September. If not then get a Three Pay As You Go sim for £20. It'll have unlimited internet for a month.

Well, with 70% perf gain and already having the highest IPC of any smartphone (that's per core, per clock, before anyone disagrees and shows another phones higher multicore scores), it would have been crazy impressive to do it through per-core performance again...Which it seems they did if this is true. Man, they just hugely bolstered their single threaded performance lead.

28% clock bump makes it easier, but the rest still has to be through IPC, which is insane given how wide their cores already were.

Yeah, their single-threaded performance was already bonkers.

Can't wait for anandtech's analysis.

Erebus

I had my doubts because from the leaked shots the SoC looked bigger than the A8 so i thought it was 3 cores.

I guess we'll know for sure next week but wouldn't it be crazy for the A9 SoC to be a 3-core CPU and still be more efficient than the A8 to the point that Apple can claim the same battery life with smaller battery for the 6s?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Another day, another two calls to Tmobile, and still no EIP.

And my email to the johnlegere email address is unanswered 24 hours later. Bunch of morons.

I guarantee if I had been yelling at them this entire time I would have gotten some sort of credit at least. That is why people are dicks to customer service people. Because they have to be to get stuff done. If you don't want to be yelled at, hook your nice customers up with compensation for fucking up.

What are you needing to get their CS to do?

LordOfChaos

I guess we'll know for sure next week but wouldn't it be crazy for the A9 SoC to be a 3-core CPU and still be more efficient than the A8 to the point that Apple can claim the same battery life with smaller battery for the 6s?

That would actually make it more believable imo. No need to push the clocks up that high to get that 70% performance gain that way, so that would preserve battery life. Idle cores would just be clock gated.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Preorder me a phone.

If you have the problems my line had. There is nothing you can do other than wait for corporate. The supervisors can't do anything. Sucks they haven't responded back yet. :(

Did you give them enough details to confirm the account and know the story in your email?

Zel3

The leather case looks awesome Jill Sandwhich. Apples leather case is the only case I would could use on my iPhone. Eveything else is tacky.

LeleSocho

Banned

Not really, iirc FInFET saves you around 20% of energy add to that architecture and software optimizations and you essentially have the battery life of a last gen dual core.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Finally got an EIP for my second phone. Corporate never got back to me. It only took 18 or something tries from customer service to get it finalized.

Now we wait to see how far down the line i am despite their claims my place in line was preserved.

Mortemis

Banned
Got a text from t-mobile, my 6S+ 64GB space grey should be shipping on the 24th! Nice that I don't need to worry or talk to CS anymore, just kick back and forget about it all until it gets here.

Top Bottom