• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I'm considering switching to iPhone from Android for my next upgrade. How hard is the transition for someone who has only ever had Android? At this point I have so many apps and all my music tied up in the Android ecosystem and i'm worried that it'd be a bigger pain than it's worth to try out iPhone. Can anyone who has switched tell me how it went?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can I put gifs as wallpapers with the new ios on this? It gave me the option to update my ip6 to ios9

I believe 6s users can set live photos. But I really doubt a gif would work.

I'm considering switching to iPhone from Android for my next upgrade. How hard is the transition for someone who has only ever had Android? At this point I have so many apps and all my music tied up in the Android ecosystem and i'm worried that it'd be a bigger pain than it's worth to try out iPhone. Can anyone who has switched tell me how it went?

I switch back and forth every year or two. Everything is smooth. The trick is to use more neutral services that work on both phones.

Not too worried about music collection since pretty much everything can be streamed. Just pay for google play music when on android and pay for Apple music when on Apple. You will get 90% of what you need that way. There is actually a setting in Google play music to have it sync with any music purchased under iTunes. No reason to buy music under android with that option.

Use google calendar and contacts to keep my contacts list synced no matter where I go.

The only hassle is debuting paid apps that I use on both systems. But even that is only a one time cost and something under $50.

The 6S had the correct release date. But ALL the 6S plus models had the October date. It honesty makes no sense , unless ATT wasn't sure of their allotment and just used the October date as a "safety net" . So the "dream" is that the date was incorrect and that they will make a change in our order come next week.

To top it off ATT had no problem charging my credit card, even though the phone was "estimated" to ship until Oct. 16th

Ah, figured it was a model issue.

The 6S had the correct release date. But ALL the 6S plus models had the October date. It honesty makes no sense , unless ATT wasn't sure of their allotment and just used the October date as a "safety net" . So the "dream" is that the date was incorrect and that they will make a change in our order come next week.

To top it off ATT had no problem charging my credit card, even though the phone was "estimated" to ship until Oct. 16th

That's interesting, I don't have a charge, not even a temporary one, but my order is there and I even got a text saying it was being processed. I ordered at 3 a.m.

They have an app you can use now, they just announced it at the unveiling. Not sure what it's called but it's supposed to walk you through everything.

Ninja Dom

Only the 6s and 6s+ can do live photos.

Only the 6s and 6s+ can take Live Photos. Other Apple devices will be able to display them but not take them.

iPhone 6S website said:
You can bring those moments to life anytime simply by pressing anywhere on the photo. You can even set your favourite Live Photo as your Lock screen wallpaper, so you can relive a moment anytime you take your iPhone 6s out of your pocket. And you can view Live Photos on your other Apple devices too.

Red

Only the 6s and 6s+ can take Live Photos. Other Apple devices will be able to display them but not take them.
During one of the post-conference explanations for Live Photos, it sounded like the technology behind them has been available for a few generations. Something about the camera app constantly taking pictures, but only saving the one you hit the shutter for. I wonder why the feature is exclusive to the 6s if it's a matter of capturing 3 seconds of still frames. I doubt it is to encourage upgrades. Live Photos are interesting but I'm sure no one is frothing at the mouth over them. There must be some other limiting factor.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
During one of the post-conference explanations for Live Photos, it sounded like the technology behind them has been available for a few generations. Something about the camera app constantly taking pictures, but only saving the one you hit the shutter for. I wonder why the feature is exclusive to the 6s if it's a matter of capturing 3 seconds of still frames. I doubt it is to encourage upgrades. Live Photos are interesting but I'm sure no one is frothing at the mouth over them. There must be some other limiting factor.

I bet their justification is something stupid like needing 3d touch to play the live photos.

ZeroX03

Banned

I bet their justification is something stupid like needing 3d touch to play the live photos.

Internal improvements and the 12mp jump are probably what allows for it. A live photo is essentially a 3 second video at higher than 4k. Not a coincidence that this is the first iPhone that can shoot 4k video I think.

I was a long time Android guy that went with the 6 Plus.

The reasons I switched were the following: I didn't really care to "customize" my phone anymore - didn't have the time. I wanted a UI that was speedy and looked nice. I also didn't root my phones anymore since they did most everything I wanted out of the box. Having shit like emulators was cool but I literally never played them. It was all about taking an honest look at what I wanted out of a phone. I liked HTC the best - the build materials, design and quality combined with a slick, speedy interface. Hey - that's the iPhone's strength.

Couldn't be happier. Excels in the phone basics - great screen (bright), very fast, quick updates, great camera, incredible battery. Apps on the whole are better - it's not even close in some cases. Syncing gmail wasn't bad; google contacts went ok. For some reason a lot of my contacts never got put into my google account even though I thought they had been - this was an Android-side fault though. Facebook contact integration was surprisingly clunky. It just didn't work, but running a third party app quickly solved it with one touch of a "sync" button. Things that irked me at first were lack of a back button - but I got over that quickly enough - and the lack of a "file system". I got over that too - I didn't really utilize it much on Android so someone with more experience using it who switched could probably answer this one better. I find that it does well enough if I wanna download something, open it, etc.

Rodin

Internal improvements and the 12mp jump are probably what allows for it. A live photo is essentially a 3 second video at higher than 4k. Not a coincidence that this is the first iPhone that can shoot 4k video I think.

I honestly doubt it, HTC Zoe has been doing the same thing for a few years now. It's just Apple being Apple, locking a new shiny feature to the newest devices to give you one more reason to upgrade. Doesn't really work on me though, i'm fine with my 6.

RibMan

Then why is a guy advertising it in the official ad?

Colors are genderless.

In theory, colors should be completely genderless. In marketing and consumer perception, colors are 100% gender-specific. For certain products, there are color breakdowns and color combinations that 'only' work (and 'never' work) for men, women, boys, and girls. For example, if you Google "Pink Jordans", I guarantee you that 95%+ of the results are going to be for girls, women, and kids.

Retailers will consistently decline to stock certain products in gender-specific colors, which then leads to manufacturers and producers creating products in gender-neutral colors. In fact (and this isn't a secret, more of a marketing thing), if you want to sell a product in pink, late September and all of October is the best time to do it. Very very very few retailers can get away with declining to stock pink products/Pink Ribbon products during breast cancer awareness month.

ZeroX03

Banned
I honestly doubt it, HTC Zoe has been doing the same thing for a few years now. It's just Apple being Apple, locking a new shiny feature to the newest devices to give you one more reason to upgrade. Doesn't really work on me though, i'm fine with my 6.

Some cursory Googling of HTC's Zoe seems to show that they were much lower resolution on older phones though? The 2013 models were 1080p outputs and their phones had lower resolution UltraPixels or whatever it was called. I'm not sure it's comparable, older Apple phones could do it but not at 4k+.

Would love some examples of Apple locking features that could be done smoothly with older devices on par with modern devices if you have some. Not being snarky.

Some cursory Googling of HTC's Zoe seems to show that they were much lower resolution on older phones though? The 2013 models were 1080p outputs and their phones had lower resolution UltraPixels or whatever it was called. I'm not sure it's comparable, older Apple phones could do it but not at 4k+.

Would love some examples of Apple locking features that could be done smoothly with older devices on par with modern devices if you have some. Not being snarky.

Siri on iPhone 4?

Aurizen

CPVZGeqU8AEGCbY.jpg

How the hell is T-Mobile still in business?

How did you get your phone free?? I'm with T-Mobile too

Eklesp

Ordered my 6S+ through Verizon. Sucks it seems they aren't going to do Edge-Up anymore, so no yearly upgrade unless you have payed off the phone, unless I want to pay a ton.

Just got word that apparently the credit check for the iPhone upgrade program is a soft inquiry, not a hard one. Gonna see if I can get a second source on that

In theory, colors should be completely genderless. In marketing and consumer perception, colors are 100% gender-specific. For certain products, there are color breakdowns and color combinations that 'only' work (and 'never' work) for men, women, boys, and girls. For example, if you Google "Pink Jordans", I guarantee you that 95%+ of the results are going to be for girls, women, and kids.

Retailers will consistently decline to stock certain products in gender-specific colors, which then leads to manufacturers and producers creating products in gender-neutral colors. In fact (and this isn't a secret, more of a marketing thing), if you want to sell a product in pink, late September and all of October is the best time to do it. Very very very few retailers can get away with declining to stock pink products/Pink Ribbon products during breast cancer awareness month.

Remember back in the 30s when pink was a boy's color and blue was a girl's color.

Top Bottom