• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Bloodrage

Banned
No idea how she's so lucky, but my sister pre-ordered her rose gold 6S+ on Sunday evening and T-Mobile is saying they'll ship it on the 24th. o_o
Hmm. Maybe Rose Gold hasn't been as popular as initial impressions suggested? More people probably realized, "it's just pink." Those of you who feel out of luck for release day should try with that color.

Just got my notification from Slice saying my package is now shipping.

It's happening!

dad9ccf148.gif

Hmm. Maybe Rose Gold hasn't been as popular as initial impressions suggested? More people probably realized, "it's just pink." Those of you who feel out of luck for release day should try with that color.

It's the most difficult color to get. I ordered Sunday evening with T-Mobile and my Rose Gold is estimated to be shipping in Mid-October. Knowing Apple it'll probably be much sooner but that's more than any other color has.

Pre ordered mine today (late I know) and it says expected shipping is October 16th. Eh

Do we know if they added more dynamic wallpapers or if we only have those circles to pick from? I thought the fish and ink wallpapers were dynamic but I guess they only animate if you press on them?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Then why is a guy advertising it in the official ad?

Colors are genderless.
Aside from an even more stereotype loaded answer, I have noticed that Apple has been steering away from any gender labels on their products, even when it's painfully obvious that for example their smaller watch with that one particular bracelet will be worn by a woman in 99%+ cases.

In any case, I like that color quite a lot. But the name they gave it is deceiving. Rose gold color should have been copper-like looking, not light metallic pink.

grumble

My understanding is that it was also put in for the Chinese market, where rose gold is more popular.

HUELEN10

Aside from an even more stereotype loaded answer, I have noticed that Apple has been steering away from any gender labels on their products, even when it's painfully obvious that for example their smaller watch with that one particular bracelet will be worn by a woman in 99%+ cases.

In any case, I like that color quite a lot. But the name they gave it is deceiving. Rose gold color should have been copper-like looking, not light metallic pink.

From the pics I've seen, it doesn't look too far off from this...

NYR

Colors are genderless.
Maybe in a perfect world, but pink is associated with girls for most people. Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it not true either.

And if you're using an ad as justification, you already lost. That ad is designed to convince you it is okay for guys to get rose gold. They don't want to limit sales to any demographic.

ZeroX03

Banned
The color/gender discussion is silly. Buy whatever you want. Apple consciously marketed away from pink because they don't want people to give into that silly misconception.

riotous

Banned
Check it out on a T mobile placard.

You're right, I meant hue, not shade.

T Mobile uses Magenta; comparing the color of a metallic finish when you don't know the lighting is kind of fruitless, either way I'm not seeing any Magenta hue to the actual iPhone 6 images and videos I've seen. The clone that's out maybe though.

Shun

Wow. That's a nice shot. I guess iphone 6s plus is really my phone by the end of the year

The 6S and 6S plus have the same cameras, right?

Hey, that looks delicious.

Restaurant/name of burger?

When I visited a friend in Seattle. It's at 8oz Burger Bar and I believe the burger was called the Madison with Pork Belly.

Pretty damn good.

Shun

Wonderful! Now I'll wait to see the defects to decide if I shall buy it.

Usually S revisions don't have any glaring issues, at least that seemed true for the 4S and 5S.

I know the 4 had interference issues, the 5 had a battery and a pink/purple screen issue, and I don't know if the 6 has any issues yet.

These usually pop up later on. I think you're pretty safe with the S revisions.

Laekon

What are my chances of any 6S+ 16GB besides Space Grey lining up at the Apple Store around 1am on 9/25?

Try a store besides Apple. Twice I've gone to the Best Buy Mobile store in my local mall, walking by long lines at the Apple store, and got an iPhone without waiting a minute.

wig

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing from Best Buy? I purchased my 6S online and selected in store pick up on 9/25. I'm hoping that it's as simple as walking in and picking it up from customer service. Don't have time to be standing in lines!

Colors don't have sex or gender.

I said geared toward. Pink is absolutely geared toward women. It's associated with breast cancer awareness month, which exclusively targets women even though it's one of the leading causes of death among men as well. Some of that may be due to men not getting examined due to not knowing about their risk for it because awareness of the disease is exclusively targeted towards women with pink items/themes as a driving force.

Why not? After all, ipod touch comes in a much stronger pink shade.

The iPod comes in like 10+ colors. The iPhone comes in four, and before that, three, and before that, two. The color choices have always been more limited, so the colors matter more.

Colors are genderless.

This guy in this situation represents less than 1% of all iPhone buyer social situations. It looks good here because it's perfectly tailored to match the situation. It's going to look a lot different using the phone while shopping at Target.

From the pics I've seen, it doesn't look too far off from this...

MichaelScottNooooo.gif

The color/gender discussion is silly. Buy whatever you want. Apple consciously marketed away from pink because they don't want people to give into that silly misconception.

They marketed away from pink because it's pink and therefore alienates half the buying population.

What are my chances of any 6S+ 16GB besides Space Grey lining up at the Apple Store around 1am on 9/25?

Very high, 99%. I walked into Target last year at 10:30 a.m. on launch day and bought my 6+ without waiting in line or having a preorder or anything. I didn't have a choice of color, though, but that didn't bother me. Depending on where you live, you won't have to line up at all. In NYC they had iPhones through Saturday last year and some models/carriers were still in stock even on Sunday. The Pope visit will mess things up a little though.

Mortemis

Banned
Does anyone have any experience with purchasing from Best Buy? I purchased my 6S online and selected in store pick up on 9/25. I'm hoping that it's as simple as walking in and picking it up from customer service. Don't have time to be standing in lines!

You'll have to go to the mobile area and have it activated there. Depending on how competent the people working at that best buy is you shouldn't wait too long to do the activation, but you'll definitely have to wait in line. As someone who used to work in the mobile area of best buy, I can tell you it'll probably be a headache and you'll have to wait for at least a while.

Go in or call in the day before and see if your best buy does appointments, some like the one I worked in does and it'll help you skip most of the crowd.

Yes. its not T-mobile's site, its Walmart's Family Mobile site. But its T-mobile service.

I just have a feeling that if it doesn't let you log in on T-Mobile's site that it doesn't count as a T-Mobile account. Like I know that's who is supplying the actual service, but it seems to me that the Walmart stuff is a different entity than T-Mobile

I encourage you to try it, but I don't think it'll work for the Upgrade Program

Guys , I'm still on the fence about getting one. Not sure if it really wowed me. Looking for someone to point out some key features/update to justify me getting the 6s 64gb. Currently have the 6 64gb on t-mobile us.

Guys , I'm still on the fence about getting one. Not sure if it really wowed me. Looking for someone to point out some key features/update to justify me getting the 6s 64gb. Currently have the 6 64gb on t-mobile us.

If you're not sold right now, just wait until after launch, pop into an Apple store, and check it out. Nothing beats hands-on

big_z

I ordered a 6s but have a 6 as well. After using ios9 for a while I think I might return the 6s when it arrives. Theres just nothing there that requires new hardware, the 6 runs everything fine. The added ram was the point of interest for me but I don't leave a ton of stuff open or have 8 tabs running so refreshing isnt a common occurrence in my usage.

Even the prices people are trying to flip 6S/S+ orders for have dropped considerably as we get close to launch. Im just not sure the interest for this refresh is there, im starting to think waiting for a 7 might be the smarter call.

Red

T Mobile uses Magenta; comparing the color of a metallic finish when you don't know the lighting is kind of fruitless, either way I'm not seeing any Magenta hue to the actual iPhone 6 images and videos I've seen. The clone that's out maybe though.
Magenta is pink. This seems like a silly point to argue. Pick any picture of the rose gold 6s and compare it to T mobile pink. Unless all press shots have been consistently adulterated I think it's safe to assume the intent was to provide pictures of the phone in natural, neutral lighting. "You don't know the lighting" is one of the strangest excuses you could use for this. It looks the same in every picture.

There is a reason when you type "iPhone 6s p" into google it autocompletes to "iPhone 6s pink." We're not all delusional.

Every leak mentioned the pink hue. Every preview mentions it. There is nothing wrong with it being pink. It's so strange a thing to argue against. The phrase "rose gold," is used to flavor the device, in the same way that "space gray" does. The phone is not the color of space, right? Have you ever seen items like "Authentic Tuscan Chicken" on a menu? Unless your chicken was sourced from Tuscany, that's obviously absurd. But we accept it. We know it's technically not true, but it sounds good to us. It makes us more inclined to buy the product. "Homemade Apple Pie," "Grandma's Pancakes," etc. Rose gold as the name of the device color relies on this same psychology. Apple has been moving toward this for a while. Look at their watch bands. Does it really matter that their brown leather is not the same color as a particular saddle? Would you argue it is supposed to be? The names do not have to accurately represent what exact color these devices are. The rose gold 6s is pink. It is a different color than even the true rose gold they use for the Apple Watch Edition. So what? There's no use getting hung up on that, and there is no use defending the naming scheme when it's obvious to everyone what's really going on.

JayDub

Okay, who is rocking a Gold iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? How do you like the look? Ive always been interested, but it looks great in press shots, front and sides, but those ugly ass white bands on the back are ugh. How distracting are they? Do you get used to it?

Asking because Tmo has the Gold 6s Plus for Launch Day delivery...

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay, who is rocking a Gold iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? How do you like the look? Ive always been interested, but it looks great in press shots, front and sides, but those ugly ass white bands on the back are ugh. How distracting are they? Do you get used to it?

Asking because Tmo has the Gold 6s Plus for Launch Day delivery...

It looks great. You're right, the bands are the worst part but it's still a fine looking phone. You tend to ignore them after a bit. I dislike the bands on all the models frankly, but I guess they're necessary.

Nothing beats the Gold 5S visually in my books. Gold iPad Air (non-cellular) is a looker too, just a single color.

Also if you're using a non-transparent case it's practically meaningless anyway.

Nephtis

So I went to the Apple store to ask about the phone.

Long story short, one person there recommended I wait a few months for the "factory unlocked" version. I went out for a bit, and talked to a friend who recommended the phone upgrade program they have. I went back to talk to them about it again, and the other person that helped me there said it shouldn't matter what version I get, all of the Iphones will be unlocked, and they will all take all bands (GSM, CDMA).

I went to Verizon, and they said I could order one but I'd have to pay off the rest of the balance on my Note 4. I still owe like, $400 on it. They did say though that I could buy one through Apple directly and I wouldn't have to pay the remaining balance, I could just continue making the payments on it, and have the Iphone as my main device.

So now it's down to either me outright buying the phone, or getting the phone upgrade thing.

rhino4evr

I'm still extremely salty about staying up until 3am, and having major issues with ATT website, then when I was finally able to check out at 3:40am , my phone was back ordered until October 16th.

Meanwhile apple and other companies stil had plenty of release date phones available, up into the next day even.

If ATT let me purchase the phone through contract price at the Apple Store like every other company, than this would not have happened.

RDreamer

I'm still extremely salty about staying up until 3am, and having major issues with ATT website, then when I was finally able to check out at 3:40am , my phone was back ordered until October 16th.

Meanwhile apple and other companies stil had plenty of release date phones available, up into the next day even.

If ATT let me purchase the phone through contract price at the Apple Store like every other company, than this would not have happened.

Same here. Lemme tell you, AT&T better not be selling the phone I purchased in stores on the 25th or I'm going to be really pissed off.

I'm still really hoping the estimate is wrong.

u gettin wan?

How has everyone's AT&T order experiences gone? Expected delivery the 25th?

I had an odd problem when I initially order it. I had to change the address on my account because it was old and they wouldn't allow me to ship to any other address. However, changing the address must have seemed like strange activity because they canceled my order a few hours later. I ended up going into the store at about 10 am and was able to preorder it in person. All that and I still have a Sept 24th ship date. I ordered a 64gb Space Grey 6S, so maybe its the most generic one, but I'm wondering why people were getting an October ship date.

Enco

What are the chances of being able to swap your iPhone model when you arrive at your reservation (at the end of the day)?

rhino4evr

I had an odd problem when I initially order it. I had to change the address on my account because it was old and they wouldn't allow me to ship to any other address. However, changing the address must have seemed like strange activity because they canceled my order a few hours later. I ended up going into the store at about 10 am and was able to preorder it in person. All that and I still have a Sept 24th ship date. I ordered a 64gb Space Grey 6S, so maybe its the most generic one, but I'm wondering why people were getting an October ship date.

The 6S had the correct release date. But ALL the 6S plus models had the October date. It honesty makes no sense , unless ATT wasn't sure of their allotment and just used the October date as a "safety net" . So the "dream" is that the date was incorrect and that they will make a change in our order come next week.

To top it off ATT had no problem charging my credit card, even though the phone was "estimated" to ship until Oct. 16th

Top Bottom