• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

riotous

Banned
For anyone that is doing the upgrade through apples upgrade program. Is there anyway to confirm your appointment on the 25th other than the original email they sent?

My email says I can't cancel or change my reservation; I'm guessing thats why my reservation doesn't show up on Apple.com or in the app.

If it's a phantom appointment and they claim I have no phone reserved I won't be particularly happy lol.

Vyer

Generally nice review, no idea how they can list 4K video as a negative though. That whole section was weird. They complained it was unnecessary for the regular viewer, while deriding it for being hidden in the settings where a regular person wouldn't bother to go to activate it? Strange. It's pretty much an objective positive.

Their scrolling reviews look so pretty though. Wow.

Yeah, it's s little strange, you would think one helps offset the other

Not giving the Verge any views because of how God awful that web site is. Hopefully Anandtech and GSMArena come out soon.

gsmArena is just the android fan version of the verge

I closed the Verge article as soon as I saw who wrote it. Is it as bad as I assume?

It's usually a safe assumption

Ninja Dom

Not giving the Verge any views because of how God awful that web site is. Hopefully Anandtech and GSMArena come out soon.

GSMArena has been on my banned list for a couple of years now. Horribly biased reviews. The worst was when they reviewed the Galaxy S4 and Samsung had some huge adverts for the phone around the site. The review actually reads like Samsung wrote it themselves.

Plus, they're not on Apple's list of favoured reviewers (as far as I'm aware). So their reviews of Apple hardware are often late as they have to buy their own units themselves. I feel their reviews of Apple products are always quite negative, and their news articles only highlight the negative Apple story's.

It was odd how the site writers actually used the iPhone 5S (I think it was, could have been the 5) as personal phones but the review they gave of it never made you think that they thought of it so highly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd thought initially that 4k video is pointless, but maybe it is like having a 1080HD camcorder while everyone only had HD ready TVs that weren't 1080p - it is unlikely you have a 4k TV yet, or even a 4k monitor, but why not shoot that now so that when you do get a 4k TV in 2-3 years your videos look great?

Ninja Dom

I'd thought initially that 4k video is pointless, but maybe it is like having a 1080HD camcorder while everyone only had HD ready TVs that weren't 1080p - it is unlikely you have a 4k TV yet, or even a 4k monitor, but why not shoot that now so that when you do get a 4k TV in 203 years your videos look great?

Exactly, future proofing.

BUT 60fps video is just as awesome too.

riotous

Banned
The Nilay "review" isn't that bad but not really worth reading either. I put review in quotes because you learn less from his article than you would just reading Apple's marketing pages or watching a few short demo videos.

Reviews should inform people of things; not just validate how much the author loves huffing his own linguistic farts.

That 6+ section is just dumb; nobody is going to be emotionally distraught from your comments Nilay. 5.5" phones aren't going anywhere but either are sub 5" phones.

Being small is a feature; so is being big. It's just nice that Apple is offering people options.

GSMArena has been on my banned list for a couple of years now. Horribly biased reviews. The worst was when they reviewed the Galaxy S4 and Samsung had some huge adverts for the phone around the site. The review actually reads like Samsung wrote it themselves.

Plus, they're not on Apple's list of favoured reviewers (as far as I'm aware). So their reviews of Apple hardware are often late as they have to buy their own units themselves. I feel their reviews of Apple products are always quite negative, and their news articles only highlight the negative Apple story's.

It was odd how the site writers actually used the iPhone 5S (I think it was, could have been the 5) as personal phones but the review they gave of it never made you think that they thought of it so highly.

Agreed - GSMArena is trash. It started a few years ago when they were found to be doctoring photos in their One X vs S III camera comparison in Samsung's favor. They often make ridiculous claims in their reviews that are outlandish and almost seemingly sarcasm. Check out their Note 4 vs 6 Plus showdown for a quick example of how biased they really are. People throw that word around all the time, but it actually holds water here.

Blackhead

Redarse

GSMArena is based in Europe, where there are many better versions of Andriod phones (Sony!) with much less carrier bloat and quicker released updates. iPhones are also much more expensive in Europe and without the carrier subsidies of the USA. Not surprising GSMArena would rate Androud phones better which would seem like bias compared to most of the other US centered tech sites.

Anyway GSMArena's reviews are more exhaustive than TheVerge/WSJ/Engadget/Yahoo and I find their battery tests to be the most useful

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-6s-review-a-slightly-better-iphone-6-1442923203

Conclusion:

Battery : same as 6
Performance : much better than 6
Camera : better than 6
Screen: same as 6
Durability: better than 6

http://mashable.com/2015/09/22/iphone-6s-review-apple/#87ZQbSDSSkk0

I still don't really get 3D touch:

A light press on a link, a photo or a message in a list will open up a preview of what you've selected using what Apple calls Peek. Press a bit harder and you'll "Pop" directly to the web page, photo or message.

I send roughly 100 iMessages a day with my friend Aly and these often consist of links to photos, GIFs or web URLs. Being able to preview the link without leaving the Messages app is a dream.

If you swipe up in Peek before pressing all the way to Pop, you're given options of what to do with the content. This can include forwarding a photo, adding a URL to a reading list or, for email, options for delete or archive.

Scared that "popping" all over the place will leave you lost? With the new "Back to X" feature in iOS 9, going back to where you were is a breeze.

Peek and Pop are incredibly useful in the default Apple apps, especially Photos, where you can preview images and videos in a bigger view with just a light press.

but ios 9 already has 'back to xxx' so if you just opened a link, you could jump right back to imessage or wherever you were - I don't know why having 'peek' is that relevant?

Gaaraz

Not giving the Verge any views because of how God awful that web site is.
I love how they recently did a comparison with the new iPhone and various Android devices, but listed the contract price of the iPhone 6S (so around $199) against the full price of the Android phones ($499+)

ZeroX03

Banned
but ios 9 already has 'back to xxx' so if you just opened a link, you could jump right back to imessage or wherever you were - I don't know why having 'peek' is that relevant?

Peek doesn't open a new app or start a new process. It can show you stuff without losing the context of your current app. It's also just plain faster than having to load Safari up.

Granted, I feel a lot of 3D Touch needs to be experienced to understand the context. I'm still not 100% sure on it myself. Like I think Safari's home screen peek options can be customized? You could launch straight into GAF Gaming or Off-Topic or DC TV Community (my three of choice).

riotous

Banned
I like reading reviews from people biased against companies or products. But it's nice to know if they have a pattern of bias either way; people who are biased FOR something are more likely to leave out information. Let me decide if a potential negative matters to me or not.

One of the first things I do when I check a game or movies metacritic scores is click the lowest review I can find.

ZeroX03

Banned
One of my favorite features of 3D Touch is that, if you press down hard on the keyboard while writing or editing, it becomes a trackpad, for easy and precise cursor placement and text selection.

This sounds like it could be great. Even on 6 Plus, I still find cursor placement annoyingly inconsistent.

XenodudeX

Thinking about upgrading my old HTC Droid Incredible to this.The only thing is that I'm wondering if $60 + the $27.08 monthly device payment is worth it on a unlimited talk and text with 2g of data plan?

I'd thought initially that 4k video is pointless, but maybe it is like having a 1080HD camcorder while everyone only had HD ready TVs that weren't 1080p - it is unlikely you have a 4k TV yet, or even a 4k monitor, but why not shoot that now so that when you do get a 4k TV in 2-3 years your videos look great?

I am really pumped for the 4K video because I have a 4K monitor and my daughter is <1 years old, so having 4K videos of her at this age is exciting for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sounds like an even better iPad keyboard implementation, which is already super useful.

It's the same as the iPad keyboard implementation just a different mode switching method. My concern is, does it only work for the Apple stock keyboard/apps?

Kama_1082

Banned
Is this meant to be some sort of joke? The 6/+ performed exceptionally well.

You'd have a point if you just talked about the 2nd gen/S cycle being more consistent performers, but it's nothing like the disaster that was the Retina iPad.
I bought that iPad :( worked amazingly until iOS 8 released.

Vyer

It's the same as the iPad keyboard implementation just a different mode switching method. My concern is, does it only work for the Apple stock keyboard/apps?

Yeah, though obviously using the 3D Touch instead of two finger swiping is considerably more convenient with one handed phone usage.

Eagerly awaiting my 128GB 6S Plus

charlie_excited.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
Soo... all people seem to mention about the iPhone 6/6plus is the battery life & camera but there are other features like landscape apps and more expansive stock keyboard. Did any of the reviews actually go in-depth over those?

Yeah, though obviously using the 3D Touch instead of two finger swiping is considerably more convenient with one handed phone usage.

Yeah, I wonder if Apple will stick with two finger or switch to 3DTouch when that feature makes it over to the iPads.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
"Oh, and it's no longer possible to get the iPhone 6 in a Gold finish, which is reserved for the 6S alone."

Lol, I wonder why they did that?

ZeroX03

Banned
"Oh, and it's no longer possible to get the iPhone 6 in a Gold finish, which is reserved for the 6S alone."

You can't get 128GB anymore either. It's a double whammy of 'encouraging' people to upgrade while getting rid of the least popular options.

I originally thought it was to use the gold casing for 6S model but realized it is different casing material.

Less inventory to manage and get you to buy the newer one if you really want a gold one.

Lima

Gold is also the least popular color. I think I've seen it maybe once out in the real world. Looks tacky too. Everyone runs around with silver or space grey.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gold is also the least popular color. I think I've seen it maybe once out in the real world. Looks tacky too. Everyone runs around with silver or space grey.

On no you didn't.

Granted I think the implementation of gold on the 6 models is probably Apple's weakest. The 5S and iPad are much better. That and everybody uses cases so it's hard to tell anyway.

Roo

I only have seen a single person rock a gold iPhone and that's only because we are friends. Other than that, no one. Like you said, the most popular are either silver or space grey

riotous

Banned
My wife got a gold 5S right near the 6 launch (she wasn't ready for the new sizes.).

They said it had been in the back of the store since launch (anectdotal still but more evidence of the lack lf gold popularity.)

reKon

Banned

My use of GSMArena comes comes their testing results since they do pretty extensive testing there. Anandtech I actually read through and look at their testing results as well.

The Verge is nearly completely useless. They don't provide me with ANYTHING, lol.

Shenmue

Banned
I'm somewhat concerned.

Many of the reviews are saying that if you are coming from the 6 you likely won't notice a huge performance difference and that it's just as fast as the 6.

Are these guys even professionals? The 6 was one of the worst performing phones I've ever owned.

I need to know if all this lagging, stuttering, reloading apps shit is all gone with the 6+.

Synless

I'm somewhat concerned.

Many of the reviews are saying that if you are coming from the 6 you likely won't notice a huge performance difference and that it's just as fast as the 6.

Are these guys even professionals? The 6 was one of the worst performing phones I've ever owned.

I need to know if all this lagging, stuttering, reloading apps shit is all gone with the 6+.
I don't know how to take this. It has no way of being just as fast as the 6... It has to be faster in every way due to the upgrades alone.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm somewhat concerned.

It was the worst for you, your experience isn't necessarily what they had.

And yes the lag, stuttering and reloading will likely be gone. 2GB of RAM and huge processing gains should fix that.

White front just exaggerates the already shitty bezels.

Black for life (or until Apple engineers a satisfactory algorithm for detecting accidental peripheral inputs).

Top Bottom