• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

AdanVC

So basically is it worth to upgrade to 6S even if I currently have the 6? Dat camera upgrade is seriously so tempting...

Servbot24

Banned
T-Mobile only had Gold left to reserve. I suppose if I'm lucky and someone doesn't pick up their Space grey maybe they'll let me take one of those?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
A9 is as powerful as

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2010)
Intel Core i7-620M 2670 MHz (2 cores)

only a few more iterations and Apple might make the core as powerful as the intel line. Maybe then we will see a iOS - OS X hybrid machine

It's not a unique assumption to make, by any means. That said, I agree - I think Apple is getting tired of Intel just like they were with IBM in their PPC days. Intel's last several processor releases have been iterative at best. I wouldn't be surprised if their "end game" (for right now) is OSX that runs on their proprietary processors, and a tighter fusion between OSX and iOS.

Erebus

So basically is it worth to upgrade to 6S even if I currently have the 6? Dat camera upgrade is seriously so tempting...
Unless you care about 4k videos or the live photos, I personally think that the camera is the lesser reason for someone to upgrade from a 6. 3D touch and the 2GB of RAM are more important factors.

I mean it's certainly improved but can you really tell the difference?
iPhone6S-city-1.jpg

iPhone6-city-1.jpg
For me, the difference starts to become only apparent when I'm zooming in.

Guess Who

Banned
If there's ever been a time for Apple to think about dropping Intel it's right now while Intel's Broadwell and Skylake delays have severely held up the release of new Macs.

Shenmue

Banned
On the first page, I just opened all of them. Watched for a few seconds on the ones that still worked, and then went back to the page. Perfectly smooth, no issues.

Hmmm... anyone have any experience with getting Apple to replace the phone under warranty? I mean I took it to Genius Bar and they told me everything is fine. Do I just go over their head and call corporate or something and complain?

Also for the people ordering from Tmobile: Where do you see if you got a tracking number? I got an email this morning stating that my downpayment was charged, but I didn't see any kind of tracking on there.

S¡mon

Banned
Unless you care about 4k videos or the live photos, I personally think that the camera is the lesser reason for someone to upgrade from a 6. 3D touch and the 2GB of RAM are more important factors.

To me, the top image seems a bit more detailed and the colours appear to be more realistic.
please tell me the top image is the 6S and not the 6

Servbot24

Banned
S¡mon;179636333 said:
To me, the top image seems a bit more detailed and the colours appear to be more realistic.

Top one is definitely a little more vibrant (which I don't know if that's realistic or not but it looks nice)

boxter432

S¡mon;179636333 said:

yep, top URL has "iPhone6S-city-1.jpg" and bottom has iPhone6-city-1.jpg"

Juice

If there's ever been a time for Apple to think about dropping Intel it's right now while Intel's Broadwell and Skylake delays have severely held up the release of new Macs.

The answer they want (their own chips) aren't ready yet to best Intel's stuff.

If they were then I'm sure they'd have pulled the trigger.

I suspect in 3 or 4 years we'll see an announcement nearly identical to the rationale for leaving IBM though "Took forever for the G5, then it ran way too hot to put into a laptop. Bye x86!"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Right when intel is leading the pack and the competition literally can't touch them?
Sounds like a good time to jump ship. /s

Hattori

Banned

Top one looks better, you can tell it captures more light

Shenmue

Banned
I definitely thought the top picture looked better as well. Also the bottom one is blurrier when you view them at their original size. Good news as I'm upgrading!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was able to request a pickup at the local ups store since nobody will be home Friday. That seems way better than waiting around for a delivery all day.

S¡mon

Banned
Top one is definitely a little more vibrant (which I don't know if that's realistic or not but it looks nice)
Yeah, I don't know if it's more realistic but it certainly looks nice.
yep, top URL has "iPhone6S-city-1.jpg" and bottom has iPhone6-city-1.jpg"
That's good, that means I'm not making a fool of myself. :p

I definitely thought the top picture looked better as well. Also the bottom one is blurrier when you view them at their original size. Good news as I'm upgrading!
Yes, I'm (most probably) going from a 6 Plus to the regular 6S. Still a bit disappointed that the regular 6S has no optical image stabilization, but still hoping the 6S' camera is an improvement over the 6 Plus.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I was able to request a pickup at the local ups store since nobody will be home Friday. That seems way better than waiting around for a delivery all day.

Best option is an actual distribution center. You can pick it up when they open (9am my area).

For a local UPS store you will probably wait until that store gets delivery.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Best option is an actual distribution center. You can pick it up when they open (9am my area).

For a local UPS store you will probably wait until that store gets delivery.

That's fine with me. I'm in no rush. I'd rather pick it up right down the road and wait until the end of the day than drive in Bay area traffic.

spekkeh

Banned
Apples per-core performance lead is getting scary. It's two banger even beats the 8 core Exynos in the S6, which can in fact use all 8 cores in heavy multithreading tasks like Geekbench multicore. Though some part of it is also everyone else dun goofed using mostly stock ARM A57 cores and relying on higher clock speeds that can't be sustained.

I've seen up to 1.82GHz for the A9 CPU clock, I wonder what it's max is. And I trust Apple still won't throttle too much.

No GPU tests yet?
Is there a multithreading comparison? I mean of course their speed per core is higher when their chip can be considerably bigger.

Fjordson

Yo Apple is doing some spooky shit with my credit card.

The full charge was on there for a few days, but it never got past pending. Then this morning the charge is gone...completely. And the money is back in my balance. On Apple.com the order is still preparing to ship and apparently being delivered on Friday, but the charge completely disappearing has me confused.

LordOfChaos

Is there a multithreading comparison? I mean of course their speed per core is higher when their chip can be considerably bigger.

Right there in the geekbench multithreading tests a few pages ago. The geekbench multithreading test, and the Exynos SoC, will use all 8 threads in the Exynos/S6.

note5-gs6e-benchmarks-geekbench-100608960-large.idge_.png

img_0685-jpg.583888

It's essentially a wash for multithreading, but dominating in per-core, which matters when some tasks are bound by a single core and can grind the whole operation to a halt if the cores are slow. It's also easier to extract closer to theoretical full performance from 2 cores rather than 4/8. Let alone that the S6 can't keep all 8 cores on full bore all the time, it would drop back to 4, and likely even the A53s under high load.

What does this mean to dummies like me?

The above may explain it to you too

reKon

Banned
no yeah...

Sure it won't beat a 4670k, but mobile processors, why not?

While there haven't been any significant performance advantages seen in the desktop Skylake CPU line, isn't Intel really focusing on the Core M line up that's going to be used in high end tablets? We may see this show up on the Surface Pro 4 and other Surface clones coming up.

Guess Who

Banned
The answer they want (their own chips) aren't ready yet to best Intel's stuff.

If they were then I'm sure they'd have pulled the trigger.

I suspect in 3 or 4 years we'll see an announcement nearly identical to the rationale for leaving IBM though "Took forever for the G5, then it ran way too hot to put into a laptop. Bye x86!"

I'm not saying they should jump right now, just that the current circumstances around Broadwell and Skylake are probably making Apple wish they weren't reliant on Intel for pumping out new Macs.

Right when intel is leading the pack and the competition literally can't touch them?
Sounds like a good time to jump ship. /s

Apple's own chips are coming closer to matching Intel's chips - at least in mobile - than anyone else, and they're closing the gap much faster than Intel is widening it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
then something is wrong with the 6+ you saw, I have one in my hand and the app switcher is smooth (had about 10 apps open on it)
No, I tried like 5 of them in apple store, all with ios9 installed. There's notable frame skips throughout UI on all of them now opposed to my regular 6, especially very noticeable when that new multitask screen transitions on. Like you can tell a mile away it's not a smooth 60FPS anymore when the app cards separate away one from another. If you repeat the action it becomes smoother, but it's worst the first time on.

My phone shipped sometime this morning! Anyone have experience with Jump! upgrades on T-Mobile? My phone has some small dents on the bezel, but no screen damage (or scratches) and no water damage. Is there going to be a problem processing the upgrade? From what I've read on their site, they only care if it powers on and has no cracks on the screen or water damage.

Talon

No, I tried like 5 of them in apple store, all with ios9 installed. There's notable frame skips throughout UI on all of them now opposed to my regular 6, especially very noticeable when that new multitask screen transitions on. Like you can tell a mile away it's not a smooth 60FPS anymore when the app cards separate away one from another.
I've been running iOS9 Beta since the start on an 6, and, ever since public availability, it's been perfectly smooth.

So *shrug*

Shenmue

Banned
No, I tried like 5 of them in apple store, all with ios9 installed. There's notable frame skips throughout UI on all of them now opposed to my regular 6, especially very noticeable when that new multitask screen transitions on. Like you can tell a mile away it's not a smooth 60FPS anymore when the app cards separate away one from another. If you repeat the action it becomes smoother, but it's worst the first time on.

Ah man that sounds real bad... Kinda sounds like what's currently on the 6+ but isn't on the 6. I wonder why there's frame skips even on the regular 6s now...

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm not saying they should jump right now, just that the current circumstances around Broadwell and Skylake are probably making Apple wish they weren't reliant on Intel for pumping out new Macs.

Apple's own chips are coming closer to matching Intel's chips - at least in mobile - than anyone else, and they're closing the gap much faster than Intel is widening it.

Comparing ARM and x86 is a joke.
Unless Apple has a secret x86 processor in development they will be sticking with them for everything but mobile devices the foreseeable future.

Apple is already better than intel in the mobile arena. Intel's ARM offerings aren't exactly legendary.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I'm with you. App switcher is stuttery on my 6+.

No big hitches or anything, but definitely some frame drops.

Shenmue

Banned
I'm with you. App switcher is stuttery on my 6+.

No big hitches or anything, but definitely some frame drops.

Ahhh I wish you guys could record a video or something of it. Apple stores have these in store now to try out right?

I think I should wait for the 7 now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely see this happening on my 6 Plus. The transition to and from the app switch screen is, quite frankly, choppy. And it's consistent, too. A little jerkiness every single time. The app card scrolling animation definitely isn't 60 fps, either. I honestly find the new interface harder to use than the previous one.

I'm beginning to think that the hardware in the iPhone 6 Plus (2014) was just not good enough for the high resolution it's rendering at. I'm sure the 6S Plus will be just fine, though. Might see what I can get on Craigslist for my current model and upgrade to this year's phone.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've been running iOS9 Beta since the start on an 6, and, ever since public availability, it's been perfectly smooth.

So *shrug*
Yes, on 6 it runs great. I have one, and I think with ios9.1 it runs even better than with ios8, especially the web browser. I was talking about 6+ when I mentioned the stuttery framerate.

Ah man that sounds real bad... Kinda sounds like what's currently on the 6+ but isn't on the 6. I wonder why there's frame skips even on the regular 6s now...
I'm not sure if I'm really that unclear. On the regular 6, I find the performance the be the same or better with ios9 than it was on ios8.
The frame drops I've seen were all on the 6+ models running ios9.

None of my comments or other people's comments about app switching were about the new 6S or 6S+ phones. I have not yet seen those in person, but I'm sure they'll run perfectly smoothly given the huge performance and memory increase. After all, as I said, regular 6 is already very smooth with ios9.1

I'm of the opinion that once you get used to the bigger screen, every other phone is too small in comparison

I'll be getting the 5.5" model (or equivalent) from here on out. The screen real estate is glorious

I'm leaning towards the + now. Have any reviews talked about the performance issues that the old 6+ supposedly had/has?

Rootbeer

Banned
haven't seen a good comparision of 6S/6S+ performance yet... but i think it's safe to assume the new hardware greatly diminishes any noticable performance problems compared to the previous 6+, but it is gonna lag behind the 6S in benchmarks and that will always be the case unless they start putting different internals inside the two models. Just one of the small trade-offs if you want more battery, better camera and more screen (with ipad-like features in a lot of apps)

But with internals so good I don't care if the normal 6S outperforms my 6S+, it's still going to be way better than my current phone and will still be more than enough for all the games coming out.

Lexxism

I'm leaning towards the + now. Have any reviews talked about the performance issues that the old 6+ supposedly had/has?
The main complaint I read that people most say is being unwieldy. I never had any problem holding the 6+. And the battery is the reason why I'm going with +.

I was just playing around with a coworker's 6 Plus and the size isn't bad. Slips well into my pockets (although probably not as easily in my jeans) and having bumpers or other texture changers helps you get a grip on it.

I think if I was still in college I would've chosen the 6S outright to fit casual use better.

Erebus

Mobilesyrup's review is pretty good.

It has a section on low-light camera performance that I didn't see in any other review and touches on the subject of the 6s's smaller pixels in the camera.

But Apple did regress in one area: low-light performance. Because the 12 megapixel sensor in the new iPhones is roughly the same size as the 8 megapixel sensor in the previous versions, the pixels themselves are smaller (1.22 microns versus 1.5 microns). And despite reduced cross-talk between them, which purportedly lowers noise levels in low-light shots, it’s evident when comparing photos of the previous generation to this one that both of the newer models, the iPhone 6s especially, has to compensate by ratcheting up the light sensitivity, allowing grain and noise to creep in.

iphone6slowlight.jpg

6s

iphone6lowlight.jpg

iphone6spluslowlight.jpg

6s Plus

iphone6pluslowlight.jpg

6 Plus

The differences are subtle, but it’s clear that the iPhone 6 Plus captures the best photo. Its optical image stabilization allows the shutter to stay open a quarter of a second, the same length as the iPhone 6s Plus, but the newer phone ramps up the light sensitivity to compensate for the reduced light available to its pixels, increasing the grain. The same thing can be seen between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, though arguably the 6s takes a cleaner photo due to the improved noise handling through the A9’s updated image signal processor.

Apple has improved the new iPhones’ cameras in nearly every way over last year, and the single regression detailed above is minor, not because it is insignificant but because most smartphones similarly struggle to capture photos in low light. iPhones have never been leaders in this area because Apple compromises on the size of its sensors, understanding that to enlarge the sensor would be to thicken the phone itself.

Definitely see this happening on my 6 Plus. The transition to and from the app switch screen is, quite frankly, choppy. And it's consistent, too. A little jerkiness every single time. The app card scrolling animation definitely isn't 60 fps, either. I honestly find the new interface harder to use than the previous one.

I'm beginning to think that the hardware in the iPhone 6 Plus (2014) was just not good enough for the high resolution it's rendering at.
I'm sure the 6S Plus will be just fine, though. Might see what I can get on Craigslist for my current model and upgrade to this year's phone.

Think it's more of an issue with how iOS works than the hardware. It's either doubling or tripling the resolution and then it's down-sampled to 1080p.

Top Bottom