• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm somewhat concerned.

Many of the reviews are saying that if you are coming from the 6 you likely won't notice a huge performance difference and that it's just as fast as the 6.

Are these guys even professionals? The 6 was one of the worst performing phones I've ever owned.

I need to know if all this lagging, stuttering, reloading apps shit is all gone with the 6+.
Where are you reading? The reviews I've read have said the performance is better, if not *way* better.

Has anyone who ordered a Plus from AT&T seen a change in estimated shipment from that October 16-23 date? I'm wondering if that'll move up and when.

I bought that iPad :( worked amazingly until iOS 8 released.

YES! I used this iPad constantly until iOS 8 came out and completely nuked it. The RAM got roasted I guess. I have iOS 9 on it and it responds like it's three time zones behind. lol

Shenmue

Banned
It was the worst for you, your experience isn't necessarily what they had.

And yes the lag, stuttering and reloading will likely be gone. 2GB of RAM and huge processing gains should fix that.

Well I'm assuming they get to test all the latest and greatest. The original 6 plus is objectively a very poor performing phone. I've not heard of one long time owner yet who hasn't complained. My office has 7 people who all have it and they all complain of apps and browsers constantly crashing and having to reload.

Even on here every 6+ owner, myself included, have noted all the issues. More heavy users will also notice the lag and stutter. The 6+ was an extremely un-apple like phone given how inconsistent it was.

Are these reviewers only reviewing the smaller model or something?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You guys are crazy.
Indeed, the black front is the only one that looks good with the phone turned off. White phone is OK while content is on it, but the moment you turn it off, the sleekness diminishes. Black, monolithic look never feels 'wrong' under any conditions.

However the bigger the screen is, this becomes less of an issue, and the large all-black slab starts looking a bit intimidating even. I for example, don't like iphone 6 in anything but black, but I don't mind 6+ or an ipad with white front.

Well I'm assuming they get to test all the latest and greatest. The original 6 plus is objectively a very poor performing phone. I've not heard of one long time owner yet who hasn't complained. My office has 7 people who all have it and they all complain of apps and browsers constantly crashing and having to reload.

Even on here every 6+ owner, myself included, have noted all the issues. More heavy users will also notice the lag and stutter. The 6+ was an extremely un-apple like phone given how inconsistent it was.

I didn't know the Plus was causing this much grief, lol. Was the normal 6 in the same boat performance-wise or is it just that larger screen that causes slowdown?

My use of GSMArena comes comes their testing results since they do pretty extensive testing there. Anandtech I actually read through and look at their testing results as well.

The Verge is nearly completely useless. They don't provide me with ANYTHING, lol.

Even those are suspect.

They gave the fucking Galaxy S5 a better battery life rating than the iPhone 6 Plus. Giving the Note 4 and 5 better ratings than the 6 Plus would be ridiculous. But the GS5? Lol.

ZeroX03

Banned

No, it's not an objectively poor phone. You can read the reviews yourself. I agree it's less stable and smooth device than the 5S was in its debut year, but your being very hyperbolic. I use a 6 Plus too.

The reviews mention which models they're using for the most part.

I didn't know the Plus was causing this much grief, lol. Was the normal 6 in the same boat performance-wise or is it just that larger screen that causes slowdown?

The regular 6 has slightly better performance due to pushing less pixels.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is the screen? With the Air 2, I temporarily bought 2 (one white, one black) and kept the black one because it was a tiny bit less obvious about the borders on the screen edges. But the laminated screen was way better than the air 1 - no major air gap.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm somewhat concerned.

Many of the reviews are saying that if you are coming from the 6 you likely won't notice a huge performance difference and that it's just as fast as the 6.

Are these guys even professionals? The 6 was one of the worst performing phones I've ever owned.

I need to know if all this lagging, stuttering, reloading apps shit is all gone with the 6+.
Well no - 6 is an excellent performing phone, even under ios9. It actually feels even snappier under ios9 when browsing. 6+ on the other hand wasn't too good, and it looks like ios9 hasn't done it any favors. I've seen that the multitask switcher on 6+ with ios9 runs at like 20FPS when you open it. It's no big surprise when the same (almost) hardware has to drive like 2x the pixels compared to regular 6.

Absolutely wrong. Don't see how you could make such sweeping generalizations.

I can count the times my browser has crashed on one hand over the past year - less than any other phone I've owned. That's with 4+ tabs open at all times, sometimes 8-10.

It was just as smooth as the day I bought it through 8.4.1. Very fast. It is slower now on iOS 9, but still overall performs very well. I'll see how it does on 9.1.

I'm sorry that you've had such a terrible experience but it has been the opposite of mine and I suspect many others.

My iPhone 6 Plus has honestly never crashed. The worst thing I could say is that tabs in Safari reload more often than I'd like. But it can handle 2 tabs per session no problem, which is all I need.

boxter432

Well no - 6 is an excellent performing phone, even under ios9. It actually feels even snappier under ios9 when browsing. 6+ on the other hand wasn't too good, and it looks like ios9 hasn't done it any favors. I've seen that the multitask switcher on 6+ with ios9 runs at like 20FPS when you open it. It's no big surprise when the same (almost) hardware has to drive like 2x the pixels compared to regular 6.

then something is wrong with the 6+ you saw, I have one in my hand and the app switcher is smooth (had about 10 apps open on it)

Shenmue

Banned
My iPhone 6 Plus has honestly never crashed. The worst thing I could say is that tabs in Safari reload more often than I'd like. But it can handle 2 tabs per session no problem, which is all I need.

Phones very rarely crash completely. I'm talking about the reloading. I can't even get through the tales thread on gaming side right now without it crashing back to the home screen every time by the time i make it to the bottom of the thread.

It is super annoying to have to keep reopening the browser and scrolling by the same posts over and over.

I need a review to let me know if the extra ram fixes this kind of behavior.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phones very rarely crash completely. I'm talking about the reloading. I can't even get through the tales thread on gaming side right now without it crashing back to the home screen every time by the time i make it to the bottom of the thread.

It is super annoying to have to keep reopening the browser and scrolling by the same posts over and over.

it fixes it on the ipad air 2 with a higher res screen than the 6S+, so it should be fine now.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
What's the process if you can't be home for delivery?

You can also have it delivered to a UPS/FedEx location for pick-up. However, if you do that now it may cause a delay in delivery. I know a couple of folks who changed it a few days ago and UPS confirmed that they can pick it up at the UPS Store at some point on Friday.

JaseMath

You can also have it delivered to a UPS/FedEx location for pick-up. However, if you do that now it may cause a delay in delivery. I know a couple of folks who changed it a few days ago and UPS confirmed that they can pick it up at the UPS Store at some point on Friday.

You'll also have to pony up a fee to change the delivery address.

Well then something is wrong with your phone, period.

6+ on iOS9 with 3 other tabs open and browsing that page perfectly smoothly no problem.

ZeroX03

Banned

I can keep the Tales thread and two other tabs open without any reloading. Certainly no crashing. Reset your phone settings + content.

The 2GB of RAM will solve reloading. We already know that from the Air 2. And I'm pretty sure one of the reviews mentions that. But your phone's problem is not something reviews will mention because it isn't normal.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Eh, I've had an iPhone -> 3GS -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -? 6+

... and now the 6s+

The 6+ is without a doubt the most slow/buggy iPhone I've had relative to the competition. It very much reminds me of the iPad 3rd gen - the hardware just isn't up to snuff, plain and simple. Same with the first rMBP (which is why I bought the second-gen 15").

I've had a couple people in the office tell me theirs are fine. Thinking maybe mine is just messed up, I try theirs... and it's immediately apparent after five minutes they have the same problems, they just don't notice it like I do.

Low fps in the app switcher. Jumpy animations. Slow screen rotation. A slight delay when searching with spotlight. Having to sometimes "load" the message screen in iMessage. Web page refreshes with just 4 or 5 pages open.

Nothing TERRIBLE by any means; just not as smooth as I like.

It's all about dat Space Gray. Sleek as hell.

God help me I ordered the saddle brown leather case off Apple's site like a chump. Spending $50 on a case just feels too excessive. lol

Shenmue

Banned
Well then something is wrong with your phone, period.

6+ on iOS9 with 3 other tabs open and browsing that page perfectly smoothly no problem.

I can keep the Tales thread and two other tabs open without any reloading. Certainly no crashing. Reset your phone settings + content.

The 2GB of RAM will solve reloading. We already know that from the Air 2. And I'm pretty sure one of the reviews mentions that. But your phone's problem is not something reviews will mention because it isn't normal.

Hmm then Genius bar lied to me. Took my phone and they diagnosed it about 3 weeks ago told me the phone is working perfectly but the diagnostic software gave some kind of yellow warning for the ram. Genius bar guy told me I need to close apps more to "release" RAM. No apps were actually open apart from a browser.

samn

YES! I used this iPad constantly until iOS 8 came out and completely nuked it. The RAM got roasted I guess. I have iOS 9 on it and it responds like it's three time zones behind. lol

It's not the RAM, it has 1GB. The problem is it's an iPad 2 with a bit more RAM and some extra graphics power.

It's all about dat Space Gray. Sleek as hell.

God help me I ordered the saddle brown leather case off Apple's site like a chump. Spending $50 on a case just feels too excessive. lol

I'm looking at those SENA cases someone linked earlier. I always kind of wanted one of those cases that's also a wallet and they're super nice looking but also in that price range to $80. http://www.senacases.com/product/wallet-book-classic-iphone-6/

http://www.senacases.com/product/ultraslim-wallet-iphone-6-plus/

Shenmue

Banned
Eh, I've had an iPhone -> 3GS -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -? 6+

... and now the 6s+

The 6+ is without a doubt the most slow/buggy iPhone I've had relative to the competition. It very much reminds me of the iPad 3rd gen - the hardware just isn't up to snuff, plain and simple. Same with the first rMBP (which is why I bought the second-gen 15").

I've had a couple people in the office tell me theirs are fine. Thinking maybe mine is just messed up, I try theirs... and it's immediately apparent after five minutes they have the same problems, they just don't notice it like I do.

Low fps in the app switcher. Jumpy animations. Slow screen rotation. A slight delay when searching with spotlight. Having to sometimes "load" the message screen in iMessage. Web page refreshes with just 4 or 5 pages open.

Nothing TERRIBLE by any means; just not as smooth as I like.

I think this is probably my issue too. That I'm just more sensitive and perceptive of this stuff and less tolerant of it. I feel like I'm entitled to be less tolerant of it though when this phone cost me over a grand at launch.

I've also made that exact same comparison to the ipad 3rd gen.

Shenmue

Banned

It just depends on where you live. I live in an area where it's mostly Asians (LA/OC) and all you see are gold iPhones.

I can sell a phone around here for more because it's gold.

I already know the most popular colors here will be the rose gold and the gold. Nobody cares about the boring colours here.

I think this is probably my issue too. That I'm just more sensitive and perceptive of this stuff and less tolerant of it. I feel like I'm entitled to be less tolerant of it though when this phone cost me over a grand at launch.

I've also made that exact same comparison to the ipad 3rd gen.

There's a huge difference between being tolerant and perceptive of UI hiccups and not being able to make it through a webpage without your browser crashing. Myself and another 6 Plus owner went to that same webpage and didn't have that issue, at all. In fact it was perfectly smooth. That's not a difference of perception.

Does it make sense for a flagship phone to not even be able to make it through a webpage? Especially when it does just fine for others? Again, you have something wrong with your phone, period. Genius bar dude is full of it otherwise.

I haven't owned any previous iPhones, but I've owned a lot of phones. All HTC Evos, HTC One M7/M8, Galaxy S3,4,5,6, Note 4, Note 5 - all are phones I've used recently for a good bit of time and with daily usage. The 6 Plus stands near the very top of that heap. I also have a family member's regular 6 on iOS 9 - it's very smooth.

TimFL

Still preparing for shipment. Oh well I'm fairly certain that it finds its way to me by friday anyways. My iP6 was out of country the night before release.

Shenmue

Banned
There's a huge difference between being tolerant and perceptive of UI hiccups and not being able to make it through a webpage without your browser crashing. Myself and another 6 Plus owner went to that same webpage and didn't have that issue, at all. In fact it was perfectly smooth. That's not a difference of perception.

Does it make sense for a flagship phone to not even be able to make it through a webpage? Especially when it does just fine for others? Again, you have something wrong with your phone, period. Genius bar dude is full of it otherwise.

I haven't owned any previous iPhones, but I've owned a lot of phones. All HTC Evos, HTC One M7/M8, Galaxy S3,4,5,6, Note 4, Note 5 - all are phones I've used recently for a good bit of time and with daily usage. The 6 Plus stands near the very top of that heap. I also have a family member's regular 6 on iOS 9 - it's very smooth.

I think i should go to the Apple store and get this phone replaced then. It's just barely under the warranty still.

Are you guys opening the embedded YouTube videos in that thread too? My browser will pretty much close back to the home screen about half the time when i try to play people's embedded YouTube videos on GAF.

reKon

Banned
Even those are suspect.

They gave the fucking Galaxy S5 a better battery life rating than the iPhone 6 Plus. Giving the Note 4 and 5 better ratings than the 6 Plus would be ridiculous. But the GS5? Lol.

Why is this ridiculous?

These phones typically do give amazing battery life..

Regarding the Galaxy S5, that battery rating does look sort of suspect, but a lot of people on these very forums have mentioned the S5 gave them good battery life. This is a device that device has a smaller screen by .4 inches compared the iPhone 6+, has a 2800mAH battery and running on a snapdragon 801, one of the most efficient processors out there to date. My Xperia Z3 Compact uses the same one and I get insane battery life.

I think i should go to the Apple store and get this phone replaced then. It's just barely under the warranty still.

Are you guys opening the embedded YouTube videos in that thread too? My browser will pretty much close back to the home screen about half the time when i try to play people's embedded YouTube videos on GAF.

On the first page, I just opened all of them. Watched for a few seconds on the ones that still worked, and then went back to the page. Perfectly smooth, no issues.

xsarien

daedsiluap

To be perfectly fair, there are a LOT of factors that can go into a website crashing a browser. It's not just available RAM or CPU speed. Some people just deploy really substandard code, and if any of that relies on client-side processing then, well, shit can happen if the stars are aligned just so.

SeanR1221

I'll have to see if I can go to my store earlier than my reservation time on Friday.

My wife found out she needed to travel at the last moment and I'm watching my sister that night as my parents go to a wedding (she's autistic). Getting her to wait at a crowded Apple Store would be a nightmare and the last thing I need is a 20yr old melting down.

Hoping if I show up 3 hours before my reserve they're cool with it.

yeah? I want to get the 128GB. That's the only way I can possible excuse a phone that doesn't have SD Card capability ;_;

do I need to go into the apple store for upgrade program or can I do it all online? god I feel so lost with this, I don't know why lol

Yes, it is only available at Apple Stores, not online

If you go into an Apple Store they'll do the full breakdown how it compares to the different payment options like Verizon. But seriously, if you want a new iPhone every year, it's no contest

LordOfChaos

Apples per-core performance lead is getting scary. It's two banger even beats the 8 core Exynos in the S6, which can in fact use all 8 cores in heavy multithreading tasks like Geekbench multicore. Though some part of it is also everyone else dun goofed using mostly stock ARM A57 cores and relying on higher clock speeds that can't be sustained.

I've seen up to 1.82GHz for the A9 CPU clock, I wonder what it's max is. And I trust Apple still won't throttle too much.

No GPU tests yet?

Apples per-core performance lead is getting scary. It's two banger even beats the 8 core Exynos in the S6, which can in fact use all 8 cores in heavy multithreading tasks like Geekbench multicore. Though some part of it is also everyone else dun goofed using mostly stock ARM A57 cores and relying on higher clock speeds that can't be sustained.

I've seen up to 1.82GHz for the A9 CPU clock, I wonder what it's max is. And I trust Apple still won't throttle too much.

No GPU tests yet?

What does this mean to dummies like me?

Ashhong

Why is this ridiculous?

These phones typically do give amazing battery life..

Regarding the Galaxy S5, that battery rating does look sort of suspect, but a lot of people on these very forums have mentioned the S5 gave them good battery life. This is a device that device has a smaller screen by .4 inches compared the iPhone 6+, has a 2800mAH battery and running on a snapdragon 801, one of the most efficient processors out there to date. My Xperia Z3 Compact uses the same one and I get insane battery life.

I would love to hear how some posters have good battery life on the S5. I have one for work and I literally do not touch it while working, and yet the battery is at LEAST down to 70% by the end of the workday, if not more. Fucking horrible.

A9 is as powerful as

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2010)
Intel Core i7-620M 2670 MHz (2 cores)

only a few more iterations and Apple might make the core as powerful as the intel line. Maybe then we will see a iOS - OS X hybrid machine

Top Bottom