• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
iPhones have never been leaders in this area because Apple compromises on the size of its sensors, understanding that to enlarge the sensor would be to thicken the phone itself.

And here we get back to a seemingly indelible issue with iPhones in that they are too thin and sacrifice too much to shave off a few mm.

I would rather have an ever so slightly thicker phone which enabled both a bigger battery and a bigger camera sensor, wouldn't you all?

Let's hope that Apple gets this while designing the Iphone 7.

Still, super stoked for my 6S Plus, every phone has its caveats.

And here we get back to an indelible issue with iPhones in that they are too thin and sacrifice too much to shave off a few mm.

I would rather have an ever so slightly thicker phone which enabled both a bigger battery and a bigger camera sensor, wouldn't you all?

Let's hope that Apple gets this while designing the Iphone 7.

Still, super stoked for my 6S Plus, every phone has its caveats.

Well the 6S is slightly thicker and heavier than the 6 so it seems that Apple is willing to fight off it's addiction to thinness on occasion.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well the 6S is slightly thicker and heavier than the 6 so it seems that Apple is willing to fight off it's addiction to thinness on occasion.

While true the thickness did not address battery or camera sensor size, instead using it only for new components needed by 3D touch. They were willing to sacrifice a little to make room for a new feature but not improving in two areas that would very clearly benefit against competition. They could be doing more.

LordOfChaos

Mobilesyrup's review is pretty good.

It has a section on low-light camera performance that I didn't see in any other review and touches on the subject of the 6s's smaller pixels in the camera.

Those look subtle enough that I think that's an ok tradeoff for the better day performance.

They also note a 1.85GHz clock speed there. Makes sense, geekbench was varying from 1.7-1.82, which would be a bit of an odd clock. Figured 1.85 would be it.

Enco

Reviews are making me even more excited.

Looks like this is going to be an amazing phone.

I'm excited for every part of it. Will be travelling a lot after release it's going to be fun not having to worry about the battery. Fuck putting my phone in Airplane mode just so it doesn't die on me half way through the day. 1080p Netflix alll dayyyyyy!!!

The phone will be perfect with an even bigger battery, default apps, third party Siri support, and location based events (eg 3g off at home)

While true the thickness did not address battery or camera sensor size, instead using it only for new components needed by 3D touch. They were willing to sacrifice a little to make room for a new feature but not improving in two areas that would very clearly benefit against competition. They could be doing more.

Hopefully they'll keep the same thickness for the iPhone 7 while getting better battery life. Although we both know it'll be thinner.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I honestly don't know how they can reasonably make the phones even thinner, even if that is a goal of theirs

iPod Touch is still thinner - I expect that's their ultimate goal. The iPod touch feels almost non-existent in your hand; it's crazy.

Newline

So I have a silver 6S+ 64gb on order although it seems like it will be arriving a few days late. However that gives me time to change my decision as i'm still considering a few options.

How does everyone feel about the 64gb models? Will it be ok to snap a few minutes of 4K video ontop of having the usual bunch of apps and typical media? If I like a piece of 4K footage I can always get it onto my macbook that evening. Trying to resist the urge to change to a 128gb model. My current Note 3 has 32gb and it's served me very well for the two years i've had it, so surely 64gb should be fine right?

So I accidentally ordered a 6S instead of a 6S+ through T-mobile and now I'm being told that I need to receive the phone and then mail it back to them, they can't just cancel/change it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I bring it into a store or do I actually have to mail it back? Related to this, T-Mobile phone support is pretty bad.

Edit:

This is needlessly convoluted. They can't change or cancel the order, instead they have to ship out the phone, I have to return it via mail and then I guess I have to order a new phone.

kdoll08

Has anyone gotten any sort of shipping confirmation from Best Buy? I ordered at 315 am right when they went live on their site for my local store pickup but mine still says pending. They took my money from PayPal already.

Fjordson

And here we get back to a seemingly indelible issue with iPhones in that they are too thin and sacrifice too much to shave off a few mm.

Absolutely. I've never cared much about how thin the phone is lol. Like even the 5 is still plenty thin to me. Perfectly usable, fits in any pocket. Would rather have the guts of a phone be better than having it be thinner, but oh well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I accidentally ordered a 6S instead of a 6S+ through T-mobile and now I'm being told that I need to receive the phone and then mail it back to them, they can't just cancel/change it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I bring it into a store or do I actually have to mail it back? Related to this, T-Mobile phone support is pretty bad.

Tmobile phone support having to do with these preorders is the worst.

I would bet you could bring it into a store, but who knows how long you will have ti wait for your replacement phone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Edit:

This is needlessly convoluted. They can't change or cancel the order, instead they have to ship out the phone, I have to return it via mail and then I guess I have to order a new phone.

You signed the EIP. You agreed legally to finance the phone.
You will have to return it and order a new phone once it is returned.

You signed the EIP. You agreed legally to finance the phone.
You will have to return it and order a new phone once it is returned.

Yeah, that's what I'm learning now. The best option I have is to refuse the shipment and then order a new one. Seems crazy that they're making it this hard for me for pay them more money even though the phone hasn't shipped yet.

Red

Low light regression is disappointing, but expected. Though I have to admit it's difficult spotting differences in the photos above (viewing on my 5s).

In other news, my framexframe bumper arrived today.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah, that's what I'm learning now. The best option I have is to refuse the shipment and then order a new one. Seems crazy that they're making it this hard for me for pay them more money even though the phone hasn't shipped yet.

It isn't crazy, it is contract law.

This is why you read things before you sign them.

It isn't crazy, it is contract law.

This is why you read things before you sign them.

I understand that but from a logical point of view it all seems kind of crazy. T-mobile is perfectly fine with me refusing/returning the order and then getting something more expensive. Why can't they just do that all on their end before even shipping out the device?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I understand that but from a logical point of view it all seems kind of crazy. T-mobile is perfectly fine with me refusing/returning the order and then getting something more expensive. Why can't they just do that all on their end before even shipping out the device?

It would give customers tons of loopholes to get out of device payment.
They tell you verbally and have a written warning in the email. There are warnings everywhere. You will probably be able to take it back to the store, but you will have to get back in line when ordering another 6S.

NYR

I want:
- no bands
- no camera bulge
- slate black from the 5 back

Make it happen Tim
#1 will happen, they will come up with a better way of designing the bands

#2 likely will not happen unless camera tech improves and can get thinner. Apple has minimized everything else but the camera and they may be at the mercy of camera manufacturers/technology in terms of what they can do there. I would rather have what we have now than an overall thicker phone.

#3 will not happen because the coating can scratch off. They learned that lesson before and Apple tends not to make the same mistake twice.

It would give customers tons of loopholes to get out of device payment.
They tell you verbally and have a written warning in the email. There are warnings everywhere. You will probably be able to take it back to the store, but you will have to get back in line when ordering another 6S.

We're kind of going in circles here so I'll probably end this here but I don't see what loopholes are being created here. I'm asking them to do the exact same thing they'll do anyways without having to ship the phone to my apartment and then back to them.

Shun

Low light regression is disappointing, but expected. Though I have to admit it's difficult spotting differences in the photos above (viewing on my 5s).

In other news, my framexframe bumper arrived today.

Wow that was fast, where are you and when did you order it? Tracking and stuff? Being a longtime customer plus being excited for the new iPhone is making it harder to wait.

I'm in California and I ordered it the 12th. I'm hoping to get it soon.

giphy.gif

Newline

And now Shazam supports 3D Touch, I'll can find music faster, that's cool !

This is BIG. I'm used to frantically spamming the large shazam icon in the app so that I hit it as soon as it loads in fear that I wont catch the song in time. This makes it so much easier. This alone has made me realise 3D touch is going to become a game changer in the coming months.

is it true that if i get a full price verizon phone from apple, i can't just swap the verizon sim from my 5S to the new 6S and go?

apple rep online is telling me i need to get a new sim from a verizon store.

ArmGunar

This is BIG. I'm used to frantically spamming the large shazam icon in the app so that I hit it as soon as it loads in fear that I wont catch the song in time. This makes it so much easier. This alone has made me realise 3D touch is going to become a game changer in the coming months.

Yep, a lot of developers will add this feature !
That's why I like iPhone, this link between software and hardware.

Ninja Dom

Macrumors said:
Live Photos File Details

Because of the way Live Photos work, combining a MOV file with a JPG file, the full Live Photo experience will only be viewable on iOS devices that run iOS 9, the Apple Watch with watchOS 2, and Macs running OS X El Capitan. Sending a Live Photo by email or directly to non-supported devices, the Live Photo will be stripped of the MOV component and sent as a regular JPG.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/22/iphone6s-live-photos-file-details/

ZeroX03

Banned
Unless you care about 4k videos or the live photos, I personally think that the camera is the lesser reason for someone to upgrade from a 6. 3D touch and the 2GB of RAM are more important factors.

I mean it's certainly improved but can you really tell the difference?

For me, the difference starts to become only apparent when I'm zooming in.

Most of the reviews mention the front camera is where the big improvements are.

Right when intel is leading the pack and the competition literally can't touch them?
Sounds like a good time to jump ship. /s

Apple jumps ship at weird times. For example to AMD for their GPUs in the iMac even though Nvidia is killing it :(

Symphonic

Why not just ask Siri?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Holy crap why would they not demo this at the keynote? It would have gotten rapturous applause.
Probably because it's been a feature/tweak as a part of jailbreaking for a while? I dunno. But the 3D Touch Implementation along with it looks really nice, smooth, and convenient.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Am I the only one switching from android to iPhone Just because I don't want a screen over 5" anymore? I feel so alone these days lol

Nope, I'm switching from Android because of this very reason. By all accounts the new Nexus 5X is gonna have a fairly large top/bottom bezel on top of the 5.2" screen and Motorola completely dropped the ball with the new Moto Xs. iPhone it is, with some slight regret, but these early reviews have got me pretty psyched to switch now.

Top Bottom