• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is way overpriced, who agrees?

Apple is way overpriced, who agrees?

• Total voters

David B

An Idiot
This is super simple. Who agrees Apple prices are way overpriced? iPad Pro starts at $1000. Most Apple phones start at $1000 now. Apple iMac, Macbook Air and Pro, Mac Studio and Mac Pro are all way way overpriced! Mac Mini is the only product from Apple that is not overpriced to me. Simple poll. Feel free to post if you want to about it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes, expensive as fuck. But worth every penny.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

This is a silly topic. Everyone will say overpriced.

A better question would have been, are $1k phones from Apple, Samsung, and Google, etc worth the price?

I would argue “No”. But would I pay more for an Apple product over a Samsung or Google or MS product? Yes, absolutely!

David B

An Idiot
Yes, expensive as fuck. But worth every penny.
Well right now I have a refurbished Mac Mini M2 Pro. I got it for only $1,099 instead of $1,299. So $200 off it was. Yeah it's worth it, but it's still way overpriced. Right now I'm posting up this poll because I don't neccessarly like the Mac dock, it doesn't cover side to side like the windows taskbar does. I also hate the menu bar always at the top, I really think it should come within each app like on windows and most linux platforms. I also hate that X doesn't close apps, you have to go to menu bar to fully close an app. It's all kinda of a headache more than easy use. So it's like I could get a PC with a graphics card for less price than this. Which rises the question of is Apple overpriced? Yes. It works great yes indeed. But it's still overpriced and it does a lot less as there is more programs and games written for Windows and not Mac.

David B

An Idiot
Expensive, yes.
Overpriced, no.

You need to make the distinction between the two.
Overpriced means the same thing as expensive to me. I don't altar the definitions. I know they have different definitions, but to me really, expensive and overpriced is the same thing in the price market anyway.

near

Gold Member
QOKKADK.gif

Overpriced means the same thing as expensive to me. I don't altar the definitions. I know they have different definitions, but to me really, expensive and overpriced is the same thing in the price market anyway.
The way I see it is I deem something overpriced if I don't find value in it. I can certainly acknowledge that Apple products are expensive, but I don't think they're overpriced because I extract meaningful value from them that I can't get anywhere else.

Valonquar

Overpriced. The gaming PC rig you could get with the same money would blow the Apple out of the water. M365 is just plain better in every way on a PC. I guess if you use G-Suite it doesn't matter much.

I think that they are overpriced for me. In general as Apple products are finding their users who do accept to pay Apple prices they are obviously not overpriced to them so I voted no.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
They are expensive, but not overpriced. You might just not value the value they offer.

Thabass

In most cases no, because they are excellent products and are worth the money, but overcharging on insane upgrade prices for RAM is ridiculous to me. The Apple Vision Pro, while cool and fun to use (I got to demo it at their store and loved it), I don't think it's worth it because I can see the use case for me and it would be the equivalent of going to the theater, but now I get to have that experience at home. That is one of, if not the only thing that is overpriced that they sell in my opinion.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I only buy laptops from them and they are priced equally for what they offer. It just sucks that you can upgrade them, that's the expensive part. However ARM coming to PC market, the situation will be the same on Windows/Linux machines in no time...

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
QOKKADK.gif

The way I see it is I deem something overpriced if I don't find value in it. I can certainly acknowledge that Apple products are expensive, but I don't think they're overpriced because I extract meaningful value from them that I can't get anywhere else.

Fair enough.

David B

An Idiot
I only buy laptops from them and they are priced equally for what they offer. It just sucks that you can upgrade them, that's the expensive part. However ARM coming to PC market, the situation will be the same on Windows/Linux machines in no time...
Games are still made 100% for Intel and AMD x86 x64. Maybe about 5 to 10% of the game market has gone to ARM. That's it. Which means Intel and AMD will stay market leaders for years and years to come.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Games are still made 100% for Intel and AMD x86 x64. Maybe about 5 to 10% of the game market has gone to ARM. That's it. Which means Intel and AMD will stay market leaders for years and years to come.
Well those high end machines will probably be x86, but vast majority laptops will be better of to be on ARM, given just the fact, how long laptop can stay on battery. Yes there is just one vendor so far, but I think it will go fast. Will see

Trogdor1123

Depends on what it is. Some is stupidly over priced some is great.

The Apple TV is the best streaming box by far imo. It’s not cheap but it’s not overly expensive either. I switch my house over to these and it’s great.

MacBook airs, have creeped up in price, I agree, but they are still decently priced for the performance you get.

Apple Watches, fantastic prices imo

Mac mini, amazing value

MacBook Pro, I think they are definitely overpriced, especially towards the high end

iMacs, they are pretty decent but you are definitely paying a lot for the format of them. I’m buying my wife one as a surprise so I’m hoping she likes it.

iPhones, I’d say they are creeping up too but they are probably the best ohone on the market , if that demands the premium, I guess that’s a personal choice. I switched over to them and won’t go back.

Tablets, again, top of the pile here but definitely the most expensive. Imo the pros are way way too much. The intro iPad though is a great value imo.

AirPods, I think they are great, particularly the pros.

Mac Studio, gtfo crazy priced

Mac Pro, even worse

Accessories, even worser!

I think Apple one is a great price, at least in our house.

If you are invested in their ecosystem you really get additional value too. My wife can move between her air, iPhone, Apple TV, and watch with no issues. It’s pretty slick.

David B

An Idiot
Way overpriced. I've never given them a dime personally
I'm about to join that. But yeah I have bought a ton of Apple products ever since they transitioned to Intel use back then. I just think Apple is extremely ovepriced for what they give. Yeah there products work great. However you can get similar speced out things at a lower price and that proces that Apple products are overpriced. I've checked many websites that have compared ARM to Intel and AMD processors and ARM is still very very much behind Intel core i7 11th gen and higher as well as Intel core i9s, as well as AMD Ryzen 7 and 9 as well. ARM is about at the rank of Intel core i5 though.

IAmRei

Overpriced hardwares, and still scalped by my own region sellers. Only the rich here in my region, can afford their products.

TransTrender

Gold Member
In my opinion some products are overpriced but other products really aren't.
Some of their hardware is really solid and you do get what you pay for.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never bought or used Apple stuff. Overpriced products. And I find the zealots are annoying as hell. I also find it kind of sad they got this marketing grip on people where people who dont even know anything about the company or products want it and will pay giant prices.

My sis in law is a perfect example. She's never even used or knows anything about iPhones or Macs. She is awful with tech to begin with who would better suited to basic hardware and apps. But because her coworkers all have it she just wants to jump in at whatever price.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They are fucking selling computers with 8GB of RAM for >=$1000 in 2024. How is it even a question if they are overpriced or not? Lmao
Way back I bought a basic laptop. My budget was $1,000 CDN. I got a Dell 15" laptop which did the job. This was way back before Apple got their ecom sales skyhigh and when Future Shop in Canada was still around. Im not sure if Apple even had their Apple retail shops at the time. Similar spec Apple gear was $2,400.

I was like.... holy shit. I can buy two Dells.

I dont know if the price variances are this big in modern day, but it was back then.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yes. Overpriced.

For what I paid ($700) for my OnePlus 11 5G, it's very comparable to the iPhone that launched last year. Battery life is GREAT, charging speeds are amazing (80w or 100w depending on both the charging brick and if you're charging something else with it), camera is great, size is cool, screen tech is great, etc. IMO, it equals the iPhone category to category. And I've heard the OnePlus 12 is even better! The 13 should be a great update next year (that's what I'm getting).

I have an iPad I got for free. But those things are expensive!

Every other Apple product is HELLA overpriced IMO. I'm not missing anything!

Plus, I pair my OnePlus 11 with my Windows desktop. No issues whatsoever!

LordOfChaos

They have a 349 dollar iPad and 429 dollar iPhone. Those will probably still get 5+ years of OS updates. They make higher priced options for those willing to pay for the premium. High priced doesn't always mean poor value, if the things last and retain resale value they can still be a decent value. Looking at the premium priced options and talking about the premium price is a decades old conversation with nothing new here.

Should they stop being cheap asses and jump to 16GB bases on MacBooks instead of charging 200 dollars for that, yes.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I guess. I rarely buy Apple products so I guess I don't notice the mark ups much. I have an og iPad Pro, a G1 Apple 4K TV, and iPhone 15.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
When you have a big brand, there is kind of a brand margin. It adds value to the product. In the case of Apple, at least they are introducing aspects to the product that add use value for the buyers. It's not generic crap with a name on it like Nike is.

But yeah, there is a huge profit margin. Enough people are willing to pay extra though, so what can I say.. it's capitalism..

Top Bottom