• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is way overpriced, who agrees?

Apple is way overpriced, who agrees?

• Total voters

Goalus

Do people buy Apple products? Yes. Then they are not overpriced.

You know what’s overpriced? Shitty Samsung OEM Android smartphone that costs the same just to price match.
Shitty Apple devices costing the same as the Samsung Galaxy phones is the very definition of "overpriced". I gladly pay the price to get a Samsung. I wouldn't buy the Apple device even for $100. For $10, I'd think about it.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'll be completely honest as an Apple user. They're fucking overpriced. However, they also last so long that they're worth it.

I'm still using my almost decade old ipad and still getting updates. Haven't sent it for any repairs. Still pristine aside from battery life.

Unless you're the type of person who buys the next gen phone as soon as its out, Apple is fine. Android is actually better if you keep updating like that.

people forgetting things like $1000 monitor stand, $3500 VR goggle, and $40 cable exist? lol

it's always overpriced. It's part of Apple's strategy. They position themselves as the premium brand and hook people in with their eco system. It's sort of like Gucci or other luxury brand names. Hella overpriced but people buy it for the brand so they can show off.

Codes 208

people forgetting things like $1000 monitor stand, $3500 VR goggle, and $40 cable exist? lol

it's always overpriced. It's part of Apple's strategy. They position themselves as the premium brand and hook people in with their eco system. It's sort of like Gucci or other luxury brand names. Hella overpriced but people buy it for the brand so they can show off.
They charged $10 for a $1 microfiber cloth just because it had their logo on it

David B

An Idiot

They've always had the strategy of releasing new CPUs and announcing it's so much faster than before, it's amazing! There is new interface objects now, new ways to send things and it's faster, it's amazing and new. But if we had more smart people like you and me, they would realize oh look, you can do the same thing on PC and yet it's $500 cheaper. Apple is overpricing there stuff because they always make it look like it's brand new features, yet they aren't new features at all.

I don't use Apple phone and not in the Apple "ecosystem". that said, I do have a 1st gen iPad Pro from when I was in my last job and I have the need for a tablet. I will say that their product does work pretty well as intended. but it also comes with plenty of restrictions and other issues. I was looking into the new iPad Pro recently, not even in need of a new one, simply curious about their latest spec and function, and the whole splitting the tiers even further by putting optional features into only available in the higher price tier was definitely a move that put me off.

are they overpriced? for me, a user who's not in their "ecosystem", they definitely are. for someone who's well integrated into that "ecosystem" thou, probably not. it's basically just paying to skip some stuff in the day to day use to make things a little easier. I can understand it, even if I don't agree with it.

Cyberpunkd

Shitty Apple devices costing the same as the Samsung Galaxy phones is the very definition of "overpriced". I gladly pay the price to get a Samsung. I wouldn't buy the Apple device even for $100. For $10, I'd think about it.
Drag Race Punk GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

BlackTron

Is it overpriced in that it costs too much to fulfill its goal of being a success? Nope. Apple's business obviously has had a fine machine going.

Is it overpriced for what you are getting in terms of tech? Obviously, though the gap doesn't seem as extreme because really all has gone up.

Aenima

Apple is very reasonable. 700$ for a set of wheels is a bargain if you compare how much Ferrari charges for some wheels.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Apple is very reasonable. 700$ for a set of wheels is a bargain if you compare how much Ferrari charges for some wheels.

Apple going wheels for $700 is the worst decision ever made from Apple. I bet Logitech has wheels for the mac pro at way way way way less like only $50 bucks. Apple puts some things way way way way way overpriced and the wheels are one of them.

Puscifer

This is super simple. Who agrees Apple prices are way overpriced? iPad Pro starts at $1000. Most Apple phones start at $1000 now. Apple iMac, Macbook Air and Pro, Mac Studio and Mac Pro are all way way overpriced! Mac Mini is the only product from Apple that is not overpriced to me. Simple poll. Feel free to post if you want to about it.
I like a few months ago you were gearing towards Mac and now you've seen the way. That being said, the M1 Air is the last apple product I'd ever buy. 10-15 years ago you cold argue easily they're worth the money, they had things even some of the most expensive windows laptops just didn't have like high resolution color accurate screens, backlit keyboards, aluminum bodies, not to mention outside of the pentalobe screws just to be quirky they were super repairable and upgrable so you could easily keep them going long past their purchase date. There's Macs you can buy from years ago that look damn near new, maybe outside of natural oil buildup on the keyboard, that function well.

But since maybe 2015? Far as I'm concerned every years there's been less and less reason too. Soldered components, less ports (rectified, MOSTLY), no way to upgrade or replace anything, no 32bit compatibility killing lots of software that ran just perfectly before they did it, build quality that's been caught up by other manufacturers, killing boot camp.

I dont get it, yeah I could've justified the "ecosystem" 10 years ago, especially with the quality of iphones, but I can't anymore. My pixel 6A is amazing and it only cost me 300 bucks, is repairable and has 5 years of support. My laptop has an all aluminum build and I can replace and fix every component and has a great battery life with a dedicated GPU and cost me around 800 bucks (razer blade stealth)

BlackTron

Apple going wheels for $700 is the worst decision ever made from Apple. I bet Logitech has wheels for the mac pro at way way way way less like only $50 bucks. Apple puts some things way way way way way overpriced and the wheels are one of them.

They just make an insane margin on the smaller audience willing to pay it. They probably want a few products on offer like that.

Billbofet

I have had Apple and now have a Pixel phone. I see no benefit with one over the other, so I don't see ever going back to Apple.
My mom, 80, loves her iPhone, Apple watch, iPad, etc. She pays quite a bit each year to upgrade one of her devices, but to each their own. She is awful with tech, so he fact that it almost always works is a huge bonus. That said, my Pixel has never once let me down either.
It's all the same shit at this point for the vast majority.

Bojji

Rockondevil

Some things are, some things are about right.
- iPhones are basically the same price as a flagship Samsung. Should they both be less? Probably. But we all know that’s not happening.
- Apple Watch I think is fine (not including ultra).
- AirPods are fine.
- My iMac lasted 12-13 years before finally giving up. It got updates for 10-11 of those years too. Yes it was expensive, but it lasted.
- Some of the iPads are a good price.
- AirTags are good.

However there are definitely overpriced items such as a monitor, monitor stand, Mac Pro wheels etc.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Some things are, some things are about right.
- iPhones are basically the same price as a flagship Samsung. Should they both be less? Probably. But we all know that’s not happening.
- Apple Watch I think is fine (not including ultra).
- AirPods are fine.
- My iMac lasted 12-13 years before finally giving up. It got updates for 10-11 of those years too. Yes it was expensive, but it lasted.
- Some of the iPads are a good price.
- AirTags are good.

However there are definitely overpriced items such as a monitor, monitor stand, Mac Pro wheels etc.
Too add to that. Mostly good points at the end there. iPhones are rediculously overpriced compared to what you can get out there like TLC, other Samsung phones way cheaper still, Motorolla, and tons of others. Apple Watch is still $300 or more overpriced to me. AirPods use to be fair priced at $25. Now $100 to $300. WTF? iMac, yes it lasts that long. iPads are way overpriced right now. But 4 to 5 years old iPads aren't overpriced. AirTags are normal priced indeed.

You know what is overpriced? Microsoft surface line. Google pixel line. Those are overpriced crap products. The ugly Google tablet and phones with the crap tensor chip. Go look at the price of Microsoft computers with the snapdragon chip.

bender

What time is it?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You know what is overpriced? Microsoft surface line. Google pixel line. Those are overpriced crap products. The ugly Google tablet and phones with the crap tensor chip. Go look at the price of Microsoft computers with the snapdragon chip.

The Snapdragon X Elite is brand new... It'll take a while for something THAT new to come down in price. Probably around the 3rd Gen it will. The chip is comparable to the M3 in performance and still cheaper than a MacBook pro with M3.

The M4 chip is STUPID expensive and more so than the X Elite.

Kacho

Gold Member
Definitely expensive. I buy a phone once every 4-5 years so it’s a price I can justify over the long term.

Dr. Claus

Banned
The Snapdragon X Elite is brand new... It'll take a while for something THAT new to come down in price. Probably around the 3rd Gen it will. The chip is comparable to the M3 in performance and still cheaper than a MacBook pro with M3.

The M4 chip is STUPID expensive and more so than the X Elite.

But then you would be stuck in Microsoft’s ecosystem of cancer.

David B

An Idiot
It's absurdly overpriced, and what's worse is they are innovating less and less and charging more as time goes on.
The perfect response. Higher and higher price. Less and less innovation, just copying what others already have an saying they are new in there video conferences. Yet what people don't know, oh it's brand new OMG!. But it's not, Apple just keeps copying others and than adds it like oh look it's brand new for us.

DrFigs

Not overpriced at all. they make high quality products.

edit: some of their products are overpriced, like their mice, monitor stands ,etc. but the macbooks, airpods, ipads, iphones, etc. are reasonably priced for the quality.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think phones across the top end - read Apple, Samsung Galaxy, Google Pixels are all way overpriced. They are all priced according to what Apple thought they could get away with (and do).

In terms of day to day use or when comparing specs, there's barely a meaningul difference between a midrange phone and a premium model. I still end up getting one of the top models every time however.

With Apple computers, I think the entry level machines are insanely capable for the price. Above that, your mileage may vary. For me, my M1 Max macbook was crazy expensive but I don't regret it, every time I'm exporting video in Final Cut Pro, I kinda feel slightly blown away that I'm doing this work on a laptop.

Every time I have to use Adobe software I am blown away by how slow and shitty it is. If I had to use a PC, I'd have to use that all the time.

And so, I think the Mac laptop might be more expensive, but I think that being able to use Apple's first party software is part of the package. Over the course of a few years, the difference in price starts coming down to a few hundred a year. For me, that's worth it.

nbcjr

i am a windows user, but i only buy macbook, due to the fact that they keep their value. PCs devalue 80% after a few years, whilst a macbook 2012 still has value today

Laptop1991

Well yeah they are, not that other companies tech isn't overpriced, my issue with Apple is when they just stop supporting their devices to make you buy the newer ones, i had their phone and an Ipod Touch player 10 years ago, then one day that's it, we don't support it anymore and we won't allow you to use the older software that did work, i went to Andriod right after that, and i'm not going back lol, they wouldn't even let me use an sd card, their memory storage isn't big enough for me, so yeah their products are way overpriced and too restrictive, but they work well.

feynoob

Banned

I can buy a used ps5, series S and switch with this pricing.​

Apple Mac Pro Wheels Kit​

$699.00

Apple Mac Pro Feet Kit​

$299.00

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Overpriced. The gaming PC rig you could get with the same money would blow the Apple out of the water. M365 is just plain better in every way on a PC. I guess if you use G-Suite it doesn't matter much.
Outlook is better on Macs, the profile setup specifically is much more straightforward and less buggy.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

My experience with Windows machines is that they become noticeably slower after the first 3-6 months and then an endless cycle of maintenance begins.

Macs though, they just keep ticking, they don’t slow, and you NEVER have to perform any maintenance.

I don’t have time to invest in Windows anymore.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Overall, yes their pricing and the way they get you with upgrading to a better system is sneaky. Some PC manufacturers will do this too, so they're not the only ones to blame. As long as people buy it, they will keep the prices where they are, so I don't blame Apple, I blame the consumer. Also most people wont pay full price up front, they will go to a Best Buy, Apple, etc and get their credit card and split it into 12-24 payments, then they really don't care how much it is as long as they can pay $100-200 a month.

Pejo

They are vastly overpriced, but they built a solid brand around quality products and people are willing to pay it. No corporation would charge less when they know they can get away with more, especially as one of the market leaders.

I'll personally never own another Apple product, but I have a few friends that are diehard.

decisions

Def not overpriced, just expensive. Apple products literally give me an advantage in life lol. In the price is the reliability of the software, integration between devices, etc.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I prefer iOS for my phone / tablets and Mac OS for my development machines.

My work / clients pay got the latter so the fact they are like $4k laptops doesn’t bother me lol

Windows as my daily browsing / fucking around / gaming machine.

They have overpriced stuff but it lasts and does have high resale value.

If you pay for quality, you get quality

Apple shit is expensive but it's good quality product

There's a saying I learned long ago: "I'm too poor to buy cheap" and when I was a kid I had no idea what the fuck that meant but these days I do. When I buy a quality product, I can expect it to last a long time and perform well for the task I need it for and I'm willing to pay more for this because I know it saves me time and money in the long run

Soodanim

I always stayed away from Apple products, but the last time I was in the market for a new phone everything I saw on the Android side put me off for one reason or another, whether it be bundled OEM bloatware or forced Facebook installations. Out of curiosity I went into Apple after hearing how popular the XR was, and I was convinced by their 30 day no quibble refund policy.

With no risk, I took the chance and started playing around with it at home. It was a very capable device and I saw the benefits to Apple's design philosophy. Built in apps were so much better than Android's.

I've still got it, and I'm due an upgrade as this is ageing and has some non-working components that would cost £400 to fix - the price of a brand new XR in 2024. So that's not exactly ideal.

I'm really not sure whether to stick with Apple or go back to Android. Some of what Apple does is undoubtedly worse, and so are their prices now. But outside of the bottom tier notifications and the downsides of a walled garden, this flawed system still has some very good points that will be hard to give up. Even the Photos app does things like make really good videos of people automatically. It made one for my dad on his birthday that means a lot to him.

Without going on and on:
No, I don't subscribe to the blanket idea that all Apple products are overpriced. Some, particularly in the desktop space, absolutely are. But others aren't, and for those that don't need/want to customise heavily I can see the appeal of what Apple have crafted, even if I also see the flaws.

tommib

Gold Member
M1s are less expensive at my company than the shit Dells that overheat with two spreadsheets open. There’s a trend all over the company of people trading their Dells for M1s and M2s. Immensily superior hardware and software.

Nothing is overpriced if it’s being bought. High market value? Sure.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Maybe things have changed but my S6, which was the flagship of its day, was terrible. Constantly over heating when charging and during general use in UK weather. Normal apps like Chrome crashing and rebooting daily. Dreadful device.

Didn’t Samsung also release a flagship that was literally exploding on people also?

Stat lovers can chase anything they want but the 2 iPhones I’ve had are better real world usage wise than any flagship Android I’ve used.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe things have changed but my S6, which was the flagship of its day, was terrible. Constantly over heating when charging and during general use in UK weather. Normal apps like Chrome crashing and rebooting daily. Dreadful device.

Didn’t Samsung also release a flagship that was literally exploding on people also?

Stat lovers can chase anything they want but the 2 iPhones I’ve had are better real world usage wise than any flagship Android I’ve used.

I'm a Samsung user, but I got into them late in the day after the Note fiasco with exploding batteries.

I have an S24 ultra and its very nice, but my son and daughter both have Iphones. I'm not one of these weirdos that stays locked into an eco system. I think plenty of devices are awesome. Iphones seem cool but I like my android and it hasnt done anything to make me want to switch personally yet. Not saying I wont though.

I used to think samsung galaxy phones looked so cheap and shit, I was using HTC when they were good.

Top Bottom