• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is way overpriced, who agrees?

Apple is way overpriced, who agrees?

• Total voters

Eiknarf

Banned
This is super simple. Who agrees Apple prices are way overpriced? iPad Pro starts at $1000. Most Apple phones start at $1000 now. Apple iMac, Macbook Air and Pro, Mac Studio and Mac Pro are all way way overpriced! Mac Mini is the only product from Apple that is not overpriced to me. Simple poll. Feel free to post if you want to about it.
Not to mention their Headphones. Jesus Christ, the AirPod Max headphones are $550.
A fair price where Apple would still make a decent profit would be $350.

$550? Get the fuck out of here!!!

Boss Mog

That's their thing though and they have a cult like following that are willing to pay their prices. It's not like the extra money goes to pay the people building them more, their shit is made in the same Foxconn factories as everyone else's. You know, the ones that are like prisons, with dormitories featuring built in suicide prevention nets.

Nintendo is sort of their equivalent in the gaming world. Selling 2015 phone tech for 350 bucks.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Not to mention their Headphones. Jesus Christ, the AirPod Max headphones are $550.
A fair price where Apple would still make a decent profit would be $350.

$550? Get the fuck out of here!!!

It isn't what should you pay and it what will you pay and their marketing research shows them people are willing to pay 500% mark ups on products. It is one of the most powerful brands in the world.

Fbh

Their accessories are definitely overpriced as hell.
For the core products it depends, a lot of their Macbooks, Ipads and iPhones are slightly overpriced but I'd argue still in the range of comparable products from other brands.

Eiknarf

Banned
Made for rich people but poor people still buy their products
Well, yeah, they have to "flex" their MacBook Pro 16 in front of the baristas at their local Starbucks where they spent their last $15.40 on an overpriced coffee and croissant. They "think" they're working on a Hollywood script, and need a $6000 laptop in order to open a Word file to draft a shitty story of how over anxious they all are.

I hope their kids grow up not knowing how to read.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Their iPads and Macs are worth the money not their iPhones with their crap cameras

I think their phones are great, way better than Android offerings, and they are the only game in town for tablets IMO.

I had really bad luck with their MacBooks though. I got one through work. It had numerous hardware failures, needing two replacements, and honestly the OS is kind of shit IMO. I'd rather have a Windows or Linux laptop.

Spyxos

Gold Member
They are fucking selling computers with 8GB of RAM for >=$1000 in 2024. How is it even a question if they are overpriced or not? Lmao
And on top of that 256 gb ssd....

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Maybe things have changed but my S6, which was the flagship of its day, was terrible. Constantly over heating when charging and during general use in UK weather. Normal apps like Chrome crashing and rebooting daily. Dreadful device.

Didn’t Samsung also release a flagship that was literally exploding on people also?

Stat lovers can chase anything they want but the 2 iPhones I’ve had are better real world usage wise than any flagship Android I’ve used.

Yeah, that was the Past. Overheating on most Android phones have basically been done away with, especially since Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 last year. My OnePlus 11 5G doesn't overheat while charging... Charges FAR faster than the 1hour+ of an iPhone and still lasts all day with 20% left. Still smooth operation, takes great pics, customizable, etc. Everything the iPhone can do, Android phones can do. And with RCS coming to iOS with iOS 18, no more forced low quality images and videos to Apple users (Apple had that dumb policy for far too long).

Oh, and my phone cost $300 less than a $1000 iPhone without sacrificing much (wireless charging is the only thing missing and it's basically wired charging that you can pick up the phone from easier).

ReBurn

Gold Member
There was a time when this was true but not as much any more. I think Apple has somewhat held back on price increases as everyone else has caught up with them. Some Samsung stuff is as expensive or more expensive.

I'm way more productive on my MacBook Pro for some of the work I do than I am on a PC, so it was worth a bit more. My 14" MacBook Pro was a much better productivity investment for me than my 14" Lenovo vPro Windows laptop and they were only off less than $200 in price from one another. If I'm working in .Net the Windows box is better, but Python and Java stuff (and most other languages) are easier for me to work with on MacOS. Java compiles are usually much faster on my MacBook. Python integrates better. So a MacBook isn't that much more expensive than a similar spec Windows laptop, and in my experience they're much more reliable.

My M2 iPad Pro is a good companion to my MacBook with the handoff features and native second screen capability. iPads aren't really more expensive than Samsung tablets these days. At least not until Apple putting the OLED in the new M4 Pro pushed the price up. But the standard iPad and the iPad Air compare favorably with similar name brand android tablets.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Well, yeah, they have to "flex" their MacBook Pro 16 in front of the baristas at their local Starbucks where they spent their last $15.40 on an overpriced coffee and croissant. They "think" they're working on a Hollywood script, and need a $6000 laptop in order to open a Word file to draft a shitty story of how over anxious they all are.

Imagine being so triggered by people being able to afford and use Apple products.

Eiknarf

Banned
Imagine being so triggered by people being able to afford and use Apple products.
Who's triggered? You, cuz I got you to emotionally respond. (I have Apple by the way. I'm just not a barista NOR coffee drinker who needs to fLauNt mY gEaR at coFfee hoUses)

I'm equating those types to people to those who put bumper stickers on their car

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I wrote a longer response, which you can read in the spoiler, but I’m gonna keep my main points short:

Some products are overpriced, like Vision Pro.

Some products are debatable, like the iPhone

Some products are an excellent value, like the M2 MacBook Air.

Very few have been able to compete with the MacBook line for the past 15 years. And it’s not even close with the new M-series chips. The processing power, battery life, and build quality are unmatched.

It really depends what product we’re talking about. A MacBook Air with an M2 for $999 is absolutely a good deal. That processor, coupled with the insane battery life, is easily worth the price of admission.

Then you have things like the Vision Pro, which are overpriced insofar that the product value doesn’t even come close to the price tag.

Then you’ve got more middled products, like the iPhone and Apple Watch. Both could be argued that they’re too expensive, or a great value.

I have no allegiance to Apple, but I use the shit out of their products. The deeper you are in their walled garden, the better an experience you have. Whether that’s worth the price of admission is definitely debatable, though.

But personally, I’ve now used Apple products personally and (more importantly) professionally for close to ten years. Every other year, I’ll buy the latest and greatest Android phone just to attempt the switch, or to at least see where things are. But I always go back to an iPhone eventually. I do the same thing with MS, where I’ll buy a Surface product and try to use that for a while, eventually going back to my MacBook.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Who's triggered? You, cuz I got you to emotionally respond. (I have Apple by the way. I'm just not a barista NOR coffee drinker who needs to fLauNt mY gEaR at coFfee hoUses)

I'm equating those types to people to those who put bumper stickers on their car

Mhm, sure.

Keep the salt flowing, buddy.

salt salting GIF

It's priced to keep the riff-raff out, therefore making those who buy into it, feel smug & superior.

...and they say class isn't a thing in America, to which I say, Bollocks.
Bro no one on Earth says there isn't class in America

Most people are aware America has some if the worst economic inequality in the Western world

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I actually think it's unfortunate that to get proper/good quality product we need to spend so much, sure, other companies match or better the specs, but not the build quality.

To me the apple build quality should be the absolute baseline for the industry. It's the other companies who don't match. Weather you spend hundreds or thousands, it's still a lot of money and you should expect great build quality.

Each time I get a not-apple laptop I immediately regret it on first boot. Within a year the Dell or Huawei laptop had serious issues, while my MacBook just rocked on.

I have a google pixel phone because I just couldn't bring myself to pay double for an iPhone, but I still respect and recognise what apple offers.

Puscifer

If you look solely at specs yes. When you consider not having to worry about Apple recording everything you do, not having ads baked in, and the connectivity with other Apple products, no.
Apple records everything you do in their own way. You should REALLY check out what happens on an iphone and then apply that MacOS, everything is thumbprinted and sent back to them on some level

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don’t agree, but I can also afford it.

I found when I was younger and poorer, I use to think so much stuff was “overpriced”. Growing older I realized it wasn’t, I was just too poor and cheap to understand what quality was and what it was worth.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don’t agree, but I can also afford it.

I found when I was younger and poorer, I use to think so much stuff was “overpriced”. Growing older I realized it wasn’t, I was just too poor and cheap to understand what quality was

Musashipan

Maybe things have changed but my S6, which was the flagship of its day, was terrible. Constantly over heating when charging and during general use in UK weather. Normal apps like Chrome crashing and rebooting daily. Dreadful device.

Didn’t Samsung also release a flagship that was literally exploding on people also?

Stat lovers can chase anything they want but the 2 iPhones I’ve had are better real world usage wise than any flagship Android I’ve used.
Let's not forget
- Bendgate
- Battergate
- Antennagate
And more

sono

Gold Member
Yes, I have been using iphone, ipad mini, android phone and android tablets for years they are generally functionality equivalent. In fine details somethings Android does better, I cant think what the Apples do better, its more about what apps are better on one v the other than the platform

Last edited:

Leopold

Idk, a MacBook Air is easily the best choice regarding laptops now. The gap is absolute regarding build quality, performance, and durability. I don't need a Pro and for the same price, I could only find gaming laptops or productivity not as good as the Air.

I also have an iPhone after being a devoted Pixel user (horrible build quality) and an iPad after leaving Android iPads behind in 2014. They all pay off. My 2021 iPad Air is amazing, and I don't see myself upgrading it until 2028, if possible.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yes.

The hardware doesn't lend itself to anything a different closed loop software developer could use it for. It's like saying a console is more stable than a PC, or needs less reinstalls.

There was a time when there was a discussion around productivity performance but that was long ago. Now it's a just an old fallacy clung to by people 55+, the generation behind were the early adopters like architects and doctors who think price tag = top of the range and then you have the young status/prestige chasers and the hipsters who use it as an accessory in coffee hours as they bash away at novels which are poor quality and will never be published.

And the much touted 'intuitive' nature of their products (beyond the iPad/iPod) are grossly misrepresented. They are the most unintuitive and horrid devices to use. Falls into the same category as those nerds who used to say dvorak was the better layout.

Topher

Gold Member
They are overpriced for me. I used to own nothing but Apple stuff, but I got tired of having to pay a premium to upgrade storage/memory. Macs starting out at 256GB SSD is just a joke. And the price to upgrade a base Mac mini....

CQxmh8L.png

And then there is the $200 upgrade for an additional 8GB of RAM. Yeah....no thanks.

And no, this is not about whether or not I can afford it. I certainly can. I just don't like getting ripped off.

And it sucks because otherwise I think Mac OS is probably the best OS there is and their products are incredibly well made. But for me, not worth it so I use Windows and Linux as well as Android.

Last edited:

T8SC

My mate bought an Apple Watch Ultra 2 brand new. He does no sports or outdoor activities. Basically it's a show off piece for Teams meetings.

Apple uhhh finds a way.

Jurassic-Park-fixed.jpg

Last edited:

Puscifer

Outlook is better on Macs, the profile setup specifically is much more straightforward and less buggy.
I literally have no idea wtf people are doing everytime I read this. This hasn't been a thing since Windows 7

Not to this level

Did you even read the article? You need specific models of PCs and hardware that's not available on x86, the overwhelming majority of Mac and PCs out there.

As you might imagine, all this snapshot recording comes at a hardware penalty. To use Recall, users will need to purchase one of the new "Copilot Plus PCs" powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon X Elite chips, which include the necessary neural processing unit (NPU). There are also minimum storage requirements for running Recall, with a minimum of 256GB of hard drive space and 50GB of available space. The default allocation for Recall on a 256GB device is 25GB, which can store approximately three months of snapshots. Users can adjust the allocation in their PC settings, with old snapshots being deleted once the allocated storage is full.

As far as availability goes, Microsoft says that Recall is still undergoing testing. "Recall is currently in preview status," Microsoft says on its website. "During this phase, we will collect customer feedback, develop more controls for enterprise customers to manage and govern Recall data, and improve the overall experience for users."

You quite literally need a specific model of PC powered by an ARM chip for it to work. Not to mention with the more open nature of Windows, even if they managed to get it to work on non-arm PCs there's ways you can deeply disable it permanently, like Cortana. There's things like ReviOS for Windows if you care deeply about privacy and control, I run grapheneOS on my pixel 6A because it's hardened more than any mobile operating system. ANY. If you care about privacy then by all means keep drinking the Kool-Aid that Apple cares about you when there's documented proof that it scans local files without your authorization and even if you disable telemetry.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They are absolutely overpriced, but with the deluge of affordable Chinese tech in the last 10-15 years it was inevitable that established brands would have to inflate their prices to keep their exclusive image (and maintain/increase profits while they’re at it).

My main gripe with Apple is, there isn’t a single one of their products that I’d call flawless. They exploit feature creep in the most ruthless way, and they’ve made several steps back compared to the past in many ways, even if you can always find an explanation for that. For example, the keyboard on my M1 MBA is unquestionably worse than it was on my previous MBA from the mid-2010s. Yes, I get that the keyboard had to be shallower so the screen could be flush with the bezel. It’s still an unquestionably worse keyboard. Not to mention the loss of a dedicated keyboard lighting button, forcing you to go into a menu to light the keyboard. Simply idiotic. And the main reason I didn’t get an M2 is because of that moronic notch on the screen; meanwhile the M2 has bigger function keys, a dedicated charging port that somehow goes back to being magnetic because somehow they figured out it was a better choice, etc.

The iPad is fantastic, but every time there’s an OS update you’re guaranteed to encounter new bugs that weren’t there before.

For the top dollar you pay for their products, I’d expect them to only improve over time. But no, they’re perfectly fine with half steps and stopgap models that will get significantly improved just a year later or so, and they still charge top dollars for them. And yeah, their prices for more RAM are pure extortion.

Eiknarf

Banned
They are absolutely overpriced, but with the deluge of affordable Chinese tech in the last 10-15 years it was inevitable that established brands would have to inflate their prices to keep their exclusive image (and maintain/increase profits while they’re at it).

My main gripe with Apple is, there isn’t a single one of their products that I’d call flawless. They exploit feature creep in the most ruthless way, and they’ve made several steps back compared to the past in many ways, even if you can always find an explanation for that. For example, the keyboard on my M1 MBA is unquestionably worse than it was on my previous MBA from the mid-2010s. Yes, I get that the keyboard had to be shallower so the screen could be flush with the bezel. It’s still an unquestionably worse keyboard. Not to mention the loss of a dedicated keyboard lighting button, forcing you to go into a menu to light the keyboard. Simply idiotic. And the main reason I didn’t get an M2 is because of that moronic notch on the screen; meanwhile the M2 has bigger function keys, a dedicated charging port that somehow goes back to being magnetic because somehow they figured out it was a better choice, etc.

The iPad is fantastic, but every time there’s an OS update you’re guaranteed to encounter new bugs that weren’t there before.

For the top dollar you pay for their products, I’d expect them to only improve over time. But no, they’re perfectly fine with half steps and stopgap models that will get significantly improved just a year later or so, and they still charge top dollars for them. And yeah, their prices for more RAM are pure extortion.
You’re going to upset Dr. Claus Dr. Claus -
He’s busy making somebody a non-fat frappuccino with extra whipped cream and chocolate sauce right now

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Speaking as someone who is both white enough and rich enough to afford many devices in the Apple ecosystem, I think their products are usually fairly priced, last a long time and are supported software wise for a long time too.

You get what you pay for, you buy cheap electronics, you get cheap electronics.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Speaking as someone who is both white enough and rich enough to afford many devices in the Apple ecosystem, I think their products are usually fairly priced, last a long time and are supported software wise for a long time too.

You get what you pay for, you buy cheap electronics, you get cheap electronics.

White enough? LMBO You're silly! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The only Apple product I think is reasonably priced is the MacBook Air... Everything else is overpriced. I won't get one because I don't like MacOS. Had an iMac years ago ... Didn't like it. Gave it back to my friend. Kept seeing that beach ball of death too often.

cormack12

Gold Member
They are overpriced for me. I used to own nothing but Apple stuff, but I got tired of having to pay a premium to upgrade storage/memory. Macs starting out at 256GB SSD is just a joke. And the price to upgrade a base Mac mini....

CQxmh8L.png

And then there is the $200 upgrade for an additional 8GB of RAM. Yeah....no thanks.

And no, this is not about whether or not I can afford it. I certainly can. I just don't like getting ripped off.

And it sucks because otherwise I think Mac OS is probably the best OS there is and their products are incredibly well made. But for me, not worth it so I use Windows and Linux as well as Android.
Damn look at that. Plump for the base model and you can afford am Xbox expansion card!!

Top Bottom