• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music coming to PlayStation 5

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Source
Since its release in November last year, PlayStation 5’s online music streaming service is mainly Spotify, which allows you to listen to your favorite music while playing games. However, the game console will soon be supported by another music service-Apple Music.

Earlier this week, a Reddit user posted that Apple Music appeared in the PlayStation 5 music menu. This option apparently appeared after they created a new account and tried to connect it with Spotify. However, this application does not seem to work.

c664bc5c2a5f751.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Fuck yeah, I can't stand music services where I can't rename songs, because they have typos etc.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Just wondering: Does it support native music files? Like can you put music on via a usb flash drive and play from there? Or is in-game music limited to a streaming service? I never tried with my PS4.

JoeBudden

This is great news for Apple Music users. Having all your playlists and podcasts available make tons of games way more enjoyable.

I was just playing the Ghost Runner PS5 update to my NY + UK Drill Spotify playlist and that shit was an incredible experience.

Last edited:

BreakOut

I’m really excited for this. Apple 1 is amazing and I was upset about losing PS music. Couldn’t pay for Spotify anymore because I can’t justify paying two music bills. And I might as well pay for the Apple 1 package, I use Apple Arcade and Apple TV enough I’d be crazy not too. I wonder if we’re going to see more Apple stuff popping up though, doesn’t Sony own shares in epic games? I realize money is money but I just wonder how tight things will get. Is this like an enemy of my enemy is my friend deal?

LordOfChaos

Sony and Apple have been quite cosy lately or is it just me?

Between Apple's Kremlinology with their extremely precise language in presentations, and their aversion to giving praise to other companies, I thought it was interesting when they announced the XBO and Dualshock controller support at a keynote, people started cheering for Dualshock, and the guy on stage even brought attention to it like "We have a lot of Dualshock fans here, huh?"

And yeah Steve Jobs always did admire Sony and that's probably still in their culture. Vaio's on OSX even almost happened, that would have been interesting.

Would be neat to see this go further. Like an Apple TV running Remote Play? Be like a Playstation TV.

Sony and Apple have been quite cosy lately or is it just me?
Likely because their Apple TV+ executives came from Sony and they’ve purchased a lot of shows for their platform from Sony. There were even rumors of a Sony Pictures buyout before Venom and Homecoming revitalized Sony’s movie division.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
So what's the difference between apple music and spotify?

Last year I switched from Spotify to Apple Music, and while having a few issues at the beginning, I never looked back:

- The good thing about Spotify's excellent algorithm is that you always get new music you will mostly like but don´t know. The downside about that is that you always will only get the music you already like. It´s harder to "develop" your music taste because the algorithm only recommends the music genres you already listen to. For example, you always listen to American rap, but you don‘t know yet that you would really like Jazz Music. But Spotify won‘t recommend you Jazz because the algorithm thinks you don’t like it - because you never listened to it. That‘s the kicker.

I once tested the Apple Music Algorithm by creating a new Apple ID and starting on Apple Music with a free trial. I let my phone listen to only rap music playlists on repeat, nothing else, only American rap music, for like a week. Time after time, listening to my personal radio station, I got Pop songs, sometimes Electronic or very old school music. People mistake it for a flaw in the algorithm, but I think Apple does this on purpose. It feels more „human“to change the whole Genre from time to time. Spotify doesn’t do that for whatever reason. If you listen to Rap music a lot, Spotify thinks you should listen only to Rap music for the rest of your life.

- If you use Apple Music, tell Siri, "Hey Siri, play new music I like". This was GROUNDBREAKING for me when I tried it out the first time. With this Siri command, Apple Music creates a completely new personal Radio Station that plays like 70% new music based on the music you usually listen to and about 30% of the music you listen to often. This can not be found in the App itself, and it´s like a secret that doesn´t get advertised by Apple. You have to go out of your way with this Siri command to get this. It is so so good. When I drive to work, I usually only play this exceptional Radio station.

- Spotify is way more social, but you have to care about those social features to consider them important. I personally don´t care at all that other people listen to, and I always found that Spotify Wrapped Up is nice, but only for me personally in terms of statistics. It gets so cringe when people start posting their wrapped ups on Instagram and Twitter-like anyone cares, but maybe that´s just me.

- I learned that Spotify is perfect for the casual, young modern listener who´s always looking for a new hit that´s no longer than 2:53 minutes. While Apple Music is more for a puristic listener that listens to many older songs, mostly music he already knows. Someone who doesn’t feel the need to discover new music every day. Suppose you’re more like that kind of a listener than Apple Music is for you. It´s better for people who already know their music taste well and know how to look for new music.

- Apple Music came a long way, and its algorithm got optimized massively during the last couple of months. The algorithm was the main weak point of Apple Music and maybe still is, but it got a lot better.

- Apple Music is significantly louder and better quality-wise if you´re using AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max or Powerbeats Pro. The difference is amazing. That´s due to Apples special build-in H1-Chip in Apple's ear- and headphones that only support Apple Music. I tested this over many hours with Spotify's sound options maxed out and normalized Spotify sound. Spotify doesn’t come close to Apple Music in that aspect. Plus Apple Music lets you download music in a lossless format and high-res audio too.

- You can sort your library perfectly, while Spotify doesn´t even have "a real library" where you can edit data of your songs, albums etc. Apple Music is cut off from any podcasts, which I personally like a lot. Podcasts and Music are two different things for me. On Apple Music, I can change Album covers that I don‘t like.

- On Apple Music, I can upload older music from CDs that are nowhere available to stream, and it gets immediately uploaded to the cloud and adds seamlessly to my music library. The experience feels more „Pro“ with Apple Music. It gives you more options than Spotify.

- I can not confirm at all that Apple Music is buggy. It works perfectly fine on all devices I have (iPhone, iMac Pro, iPad Pro, Apple Watch 5). This might have been the case in the beginning phase of AM 2015-2017, but now I´m not having any issues at all.

- Apple Music pays artists almost double the amount of Spotify.

- Apple Music has its own radio stations and radio shows in many countries over the whole world. No algorithms creating playlists, but real people giving their opinions and curating music for you. The difference between what a real person curates and what an algorithm curate is still unreal.

- For me, the interface of Apple Music is levels above what Spotify does design-wise. It fits perfectly the design of iOS and Apple in general and looks so good and clean. I can change the volume right on the player's interface, which on Spotify I can not do.

- Many global, also Chinese corporations like Tencent hold shares and are involved in Spotify. With Spotify, you basically don´t have any data privacy at all; they track everything about your listening experience and then sell your data to anyone willing to pay for it. Same like Google does. Apple also tracks you to some degree, but they keep the data for themselves and don´t sell it to third parties.

If you want to know how I enjoy music: I use Apple Music as my "daily driver" and keep my music library there. I also have a Spotify account which I can keep for free (with ads). I use Songshift to sync my playlists from Apple Music to Spotify. Sometimes, I let my iPhone play my Apple Music playlists on Spotify at a deficient volume at night. The next morning I open the Spotify App. I get outstanding nice new music. Which I then sync over to Apple Music. Like this, you can have the best of both worlds lol.

tommib

Gold Member
Thank god I don't need to use free Spotify and their shit ads while playing Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. Been using Apple Music since the start. Excellent news.

tommib

Gold Member
Why would you want to play casual mobile games designed around freemium business models on a PS5?
Tell me you've never tried Apple Arcade without telling me you've never tried Apple Arcade. A lot of gems on that service, my man. But yes, the idea of Apple Arcade outside of Apple devices doesn't make much sense - although all games are also designed to be used with controllers.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This is great for PS5 and Apple Music users

will the ATMOS music work on PS5?

Apple Music is really good and always great to have more device you can choose to listen to your music

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe I'll consider switching from Tidal to Apple Music, hmmm...

I'm an Android guy though, how is Apple Music on that? Does it support basic things like casting etc?

smbu2000

Apple technically has higher quality audio but you can't hear it because AirPods don't have enough bandwidth lmao
Isn’t that just a bluetooth limitation?

Anyway, apple’s airpods aren't the only way to listen to Apple Music.
It works perfectly fine on computers as well and you can connect to whatever quality speakers you want that way.

Now also on ps5 connected to whatever speakers you use. Having more options is always a plus.

wipeout364

Apple Music is the full iTunes library to stream and you can also import your entire MP3 library to iCloud and access it from any device.

Apple Music also "Spatial Audio" which is albums mastered in Dolby Atmos.
It does not have the full iTunes library, it has most of it there are a few weird exceptions that I have found when looking for certain songs and albums. It’s a small point just wanted potential subscribers to know that.
You can with Apple Music. Just upload them to iCloud.
I thought this was an extra fee on top of the subscription like 25 dollars a year to be able to add your own library to your iTunes account. That may have changed though.

wipeout364

I have my entire library in iCloud without paying extra.
They must have dropped it with Apple Music. On iTunes they used to charge you to put music in the cloud that you owned but was not sourced through Apple. (CD or MP3’s). I have never tried it but I wonder how it would handle a song that was not in the Apple Music library.

Top Bottom