• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

The other is Apple Music - stream or add to library while you have an Apple Music subscription.

Ones the iTunes store - Dowload to own DRM free

Yes, it's confusing.

I understand how the two different things function. I just don't understand why they're two different things in two different places. It's the same album.

Futureman

anyone else notice how you can have 5 separate searches open at the same time in the iOS app?

there's 5 tabs at the bottom (For You, New, Radio, Connect, My Music) and you can have different searches open in each one.

I can't tell if this is cool or just bad design.... (leaning to bad design).

Ambitious

Can somebody explain this, please?

nightwishyfk0w.png

"Gefunden" is "Matched".
So it found the song twice, one using iTunes Match and the other one using Apple Music? So..why does it display the duplicate?
The third item is a live version. Why is the rating slightly greyed out?

darktrane7s74.png

Another duplicate, but this time, both files come from iTunes Match. However, the rating is different, and again, the rating of one of them is greyed out. I have no idea what's going on.

Is there a way to hide music in our iCloud Music Library? My sister bought 200 Glee songs on my iTunes account 4 years ago, and now that I had to turn on the iCloud Music Library, there's no way to escape them.

Can't remember where exactly but if you log into your account through iTunes and do a bit of digging there's an option to hide purchases. You can specify which ones too.

X-Frame

All of these horror stories just make me know more and more that having a large, locally stored library is the only way to go for me. No interest in the cloud/Match and very little interest in streaming.

Have always been fine with iTunes as the app to manage my library, but it sounds like this version makes that a gargantuan pain in the ass.

Same here. I've seen what a cloud service could do when I first subscribed to iTunes Match and a few times it glitched and changed a whole bunch of metadata that drove my OCD-self nuts.

This is why I am in love with Bandcamp and a large physical library won't ever go away for me.

Kammie

After messing with this for a day, I am a little underwhelmed. It's cool that there's one radio station that the whole world is listening to at once. But I keep hearing the same songs, and without that much time having passed.

I also don't like how it integrates songs you don't own with songs you do, all in your library. I am not opposed to buying music and I do it fairly often. I use Spotify to listen to music I wouldn't pay for. I liked how they were separate. Spotify is music I don't own, iTunes is music I do. Now it's all just crammed together in one place and I feel like it really trivializes music I own by mixing it with all this crap I'd never spend money on.
Well what I did, all of my music has something under Grouping (where I bought it/source/etc). So I made a smart playlist that shows anything where Grouping is not blank (since new songs added from Apple Music will have this field blank) and that shows me all my stuff.

I liked the fact everything was integrated at first... but it's honestly bullshit that I'm unable to make playlists without first adding music to my library. This is honestly asinine, it's a result of throwing this on top of the iTunes framework. I don't think it's well thought-out at all.

Edit: And at the same time, if I add an Apple playlist to my library, it's added only as a playlist!?!? Who the fuck thought this out.

I read the Steve Jobs biography recently. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I don't worship Steve Jobs or anything but from reading that biography, and learning about how he thought things should be designed, I can only imagine how disappointed (and furious) he'd be that some user on the Internet has to write a guide for people who don't understand how to use the latest product.

Agreed. Completely. Things should be simple and understandable. Especially when someone like me who is very heavily invested in the Apple "Ecosystem" has to scratch their head at wtf is this UI supposed to be.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I understand how the two different things function. I just don't understand why they're two different things in two different places. It's the same album.

it's "not" though.

One is an m4p (protected) download, one is an m4a (unprotected, yours to keep forever) download.

I do get what you're saying. "to ME they are the same". Basically, stay out of the store UNLESS you actually intend to purchase something from it. The ONLY reason to "view in store" is if you intend to purchase.

Holy shit. iTunes Match customers' matched music is now locked into Apple Music DRM. If you don't have the original files, and you don't want Apple Music after the three month trial, you're now SOL.
this is untrue... the way to activate/verify it is rather cryptic currently.. apple needs to fix that. but if you carry a Match sub, and turn off Apple Music.. all of your Match stuff is still there and will be downloaded in 256Kbps m4a.

Natiko

Banned
This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I initiate the scanning of my iTunes library to get everything showing up in Apple Music on my phone? I can't seem to find an option and it's certainly not doing it by default right now.

kaskade

nightwishyfk0w.png

"Gefunden" is "Matched".
So it found the song twice, one using iTunes Match and the other one using Apple Music? So..why does it display the duplicate?

darktrane7s74.png

Another duplicate, but this time, both files come from iTunes Match. However, the rating is different, and again, the rating of one of them is greyed out. I have no idea what's going on.

The matching stuff seems all fucked up. iTunes match was pretty consistent for me too.

Future

Ok I'm confused. Before this I was able to keep a personal MP3 collection and synch playlists to my phone. After activating iCloud music... This should be the same right? Definitely don't want to change/upgrade existing mp3s or be forced to stream stuff I have on disk. It should only before playing music that I DIDNT synch or have on disk. Right?

borghe

nightwishyfk0w.png

"Gefunden" is "Matched".

darktrane7s74.png

ok, if I had to guess.... Music and Match are "different libraries".. not sure the best practice to have everything showing in iTunes (turn off match?)

in the second pic, they are not the same file.. different run times, so actually different files. I am guessing (never really done it) that you can't change ratings on iTunes Match cloud songs? I know traditionally the rating for a song is actually stored in the song meta data. So if a Match song is in the cloud, there is no place to store your rating for it.

Conversely, Apple Music is ALL cloud based.. so ratings you give stuff will actually exist on the service, not at the individual file level.

Just my best guesses.

This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I initiate the scanning of my iTunes library to get everything showing up in Apple Music on my phone? I can't seem to find an option and it's certainly not doing it by default right now.

Re-synch your phone with iTunes desktop. It worked for me.

Can someone (preferably on an iPhone w/Apple Music) please do me a quick favor?

Can you search for artist "Walk off the Earth", album "Sing it all Away", and go to the last song on the album, and tell me if you're able to stream it?

I'm trying to find out why seemingly random, non-explicit tracks are greyed out for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I read the Steve Jobs biography recently. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I don't worship Steve Jobs or anything but from reading that biography, and learning about how he thought things should be designed, I can only imagine how disappointed (and furious) he'd be that some user on the Internet has to write a guide for people who don't understand how to use the latest product.

iOS these days is an extremely complicated piece of software. But then again so is Mac OS X and it always has been. The problem is that iOS in its perfect, platonic Jobsian form really only existed for one or two versions.

Apple Music is complicated because it's doing a lot of complicated things. Same with iOS, relative to v1. But what's the other option, not do those things? Well that's not really an option either.

Futureman

Can you search for artist "Walk off the Earth", album "Sing it all Away", and go to the last song on the album, and tell me if you're able to stream it?

I'm trying to find out why seemingly random, non-explicit tracks are greyed out for me.

it's grayed out for me. Possibly some kind of rights issue?

Moozo

I wonder if it's songs marked as Album Only on the store. I was looking at some Aerosmith albums earlier and random songs were greyed out

this is untrue... the way to activate/verify it is rather cryptic currently.. apple needs to fix that. but if you carry a Match sub, and turn off Apple Music.. all of your Match stuff is still there and will be downloaded in 256Kbps m4a.

Are you sure? I just went into My Music to find a random track that hadn't been downloaded on this computer. When I clicked the "download from iCloud" button, I got this:

kkBxQbN.png

I owned the disc for this album. I uploaded the file through iTunes Match (which I still subscribe to). According to what you say, this should be an m4a, right?

jts

...hate me...
Do you have to add songs to your own music before being able to add them to "up next" or is it just a bug?

Meowster

It seems Prince is still missing though this is hardly shocking. I also looked into Madonna's Like A Prayer album and the only track grayed out is the duet they did together called Love Song. He's still salty.
But this song is the worst in Madonna's discography so, lol, I don't really care. Just wanted to point it out.

So I accidentally canceled iTunes' scan of my library, anyway to force it to resume? Edit: scrolled up and found the same question/answer

It seems Prince is still missing though this is hardly shocking. I also looked into Madonna's Like A Prayer album and the only track grayed out is the duet they did together called Love Song. He's still salty.
But this song is the worst in Madonna's discography so, lol, I don't really care. Just wanted to point it out.

Spotify has Prince.
I guess we can't party like it's 1999.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's baffling how Apple, who built a reputation of designing simple and intuitive products, could release Apple Music with such a messy and confusing user interface.

Steve Jobs is turning in his grave.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think I will be dropping Spotify anytime soon for this, very underwhelmed after two days of use.

Also, no Babymetal. Spotify has Babymetal.
Not even joking. ;)

borghe

Are you sure? I just went into My Music to find a random track that hadn't been downloaded on this computer. When I clicked the "download from iCloud" button, I got this:

kkBxQbN.png

I owned the disc for this album. I uploaded the file through iTunes Match (which I still subscribe to). According to what you say, this should be an m4a, right?

it is :p look at the file path/name are the bottom :p

It's baffling how Apple, who built a reputation of designing simple and intuitive products, could release Apple Music with such a messy and confusing user interface.

Steve Jobs is turning in his grave.
I disagree actually. Very quick for me to figure out. New = curated. For You = algorithm. My Music = personal library. Radio = radio. They all server very different purposes and I think having them broken out at the app tab level makes sense (disclaimer, I don't use spotify, and have probably used it for free like twice in my life)

Ambitious

The matching stuff seems all fucked up. iTunes match was pretty consistent for me too.

ok, if I had to guess.... Music and Match are "different libraries".. not sure the best practice to have everything showing in iTunes (turn off match?)

in the second pic, they are not the same file.. different run times, so actually different files. I am guessing (never really done it) that you can't change ratings on iTunes Match cloud songs? I know traditionally the rating for a song is actually stored in the song meta data. So if a Match song is in the cloud, there is no place to store your rating for it.

Conversely, Apple Music is ALL cloud based.. so ratings you give stuff will actually exist on the service, not at the individual file level.

Just my best guesses.

Thanks.

I've turned iTunes Match off a long time ago, so I'm not sure why this is displayed. Come to think of, it seems all traces of iTunes Match are gone. There used to be a setting in the Account menu.

Changing the rating of the duplicate worked. Now the stars are fully opaque.
Still, why is it displaying that duplicate? The artist, the album, the title, heck, literally every single attribute except for the rating, the length, and the CD track count are the same.

God, what a mess.

Ceres

Banned
I hate this new app. I generally listen to an artist's entire catalog for a few weeks but will switch around albums and go back and forth. Took me a day to figure out clicking the icon next to the artist in the list will add the entire catalog in album order (within the artist page adding to up next puts all the songs in alphabetical order if you have more than 2 albums as it doesn't show the song list to start playing a random song)

Once you have the entire catalog you can't just jump to the 5th album in the tracklist if there's more than like 40 songs as it cuts off. So you need to skip through to move up next along till you get to that album. And then there's no way to go back to a previous album if you skipped all the songs.
Not intuitive at all.
Maybe playlists resolve this? But i have thousand of artists from iTunes Match and don't want to create a ton of playlists each time I'm in the mood to switch to a different artist.

borghe

Ha. Well I feel silly. I was looking at the top.

Now I'm feeling even dumber. I must have imported this into iTunes however many years ago as an AAC file (as opposed to MP3) and that's why it says that.

now the big asterisk. With iCloud Music Library turned on, from what I understand it will download a protected m4p version of this matched file. With iCloud Music Library turned OFF (but with a valid Match subscription) it will download an unprotected m4a version of the matched file.

To be honest.. I will probably keep my Match subscription either instead of or on top of Music (still deciding, but leaning toward keeping Music). $2/month to maintain a DRM-free cloud backup of my entire music collection is an easy decision and exists pretty much outside of if I decide/plan to use the Music service or not.

cjp

Getting an awful lot of tab reloads on iPad Aid 2 now that Apple Music is running in the background playing Beats 1. Just switching between two single GAF pages is triggering reloads.

Right now, it feels like I'm using something hamstringed with 512MB.

MickD

zB4LKnmm.png

Any ideas why this stuff isn't uploading? I keep clicking update to cloud or whatever, but nothing happens. I had about 3000 songs out of 10,000 upload. Will they get uploaded?

FredX72

Has anyone else noticed that they have removed the ability to sort music by genre and then artist? It now shows every single album in alphabetical order when you click on a genre - how is that helpful? I have pretty much exclusively always navigated my library by genre, then artist, then album. This new update completely ruins that. Seeing artists after genre is the next logical step of narrowing down the broadness of categories: genre to artist to year/album to song.

I noticed under general settings now that you can change album sorting to be by album title or by artist. This at least keeps albums by the same artist next to each other in the giant alphabetical album listing, however this setting only functions when sorting by all Albums and not by Genre. If this setting was also applied under Genre, it would help a little, but you would still need to sort through a massive list of albums instead of only seeing artists and then narrowing further. Very frustrating that they had this functionality previously and removed it for no apparent reason.

HUELEN10

Holy shit. iTunes Match customers' matched music is now locked into Apple Music DRM. If you don't have the original files, and you don't want Apple Music after the three month trial, you're now SOL.
Well, yeah. It's not like the files you have are being replaced unless you want them to be, they are just being available for streaming on all other devices you own. Nothing you have gets re-DRMed and you aren't locked in. Only exception would be if you had something match,d but then chose to delete the local file on the one machine that had it; you would not be able get a DRM-free copy back.

subrock

zB4LKnmm.png

Any ideas why this stuff isn't uploading? I keep clicking update to cloud or whatever, but nothing happens. I had about 3000 songs out of 10,000 upload. Will they get uploaded?
I'm having trouble with it too. I'm chalking it up to teething for the next week or so

MoodyFog

Does anyone know if there's a remote functionality?

For example plug your phone on a sound system and control what's played on your computer

Servbot24

Banned
So the verdict is to avoid matching/cloud syncing My Music?

The only benefit to actually doing it is having access to those files from your phone, right? I can live with that.

HUELEN10

So the verdict is to avoid matching/cloud syncing My Music?

The only benefit to actually doing it is having access to those files from your phone, right? I can live with that.
It's completely a matter of preference. Dealing with problem files myself, and while I can have everything to "the sky locker" as some would call it, I think I will do a smart mix of the 2 instead, for the sake of time.

Does anyone know if I can setup family sharing with my German iTunes ID and add someone with a Swiss iTunes ID?
I know the disadvantage of all purchases being billed to my credit card.

mid83

I haven't read the last 10-20 pages so I apologize if this has come up already.

Since last night I feel like the iOS app is slow as hell (on both my iPad and iPhone). Albums won't open half the time when I'm searching for artists and looking at albums. Sometimes it works but about 75% of the time it doesn't. I really dug the app at first but these issues are quickly making me want to just go back Spotify and wasting my time with this.

iMax

Well, yeah. It's not like the files you have are being replaced unless you want them to be, they are just being available for streaming on all other devices you own. Nothing you have gets re-DRMed and you aren't locked in. Only exception would be if you had something match,d but then chose to delete the local file on the one machine that had it; you would not be able get a DRM-free copy back.

Well, that's messed up. And it hasn't always been that way.

Top Bottom