• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

can anyone help me figure out where the new NIN stuff is located? Apparently Trent Reznor released instrumental version of The Fragile and With Teeth...or something. I can't find it in the NIN section of itunes. I've never used itunes before though, so maybe it's in some weird place?

Majine

Banned
iTunes 12.2 really feels more cluttered and confusing than ever.

It's time they break out music to its own app, and the same for Video and podcasts. It made sense when you manually synced everything to your iPod or iPhone, but that's increasingly not how people manage their content anymore.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yes, it's absolutely horrible and confusing. And I've been using iTunes for over a decade.

Do you still have to use it to offline-sync non-music related things with devices? They should have put that into a separate app many, many years ago.

Kaladin

Anyone else getting errors when updating Genius? It seems to be tied to getting the iCloud Music Library to work and I can't get either working right.

I'm on Windows.

can anyone help me figure out where the new NIN stuff is located? Apparently Trent Reznor released instrumental version of The Fragile and With Teeth...or something. I can't find it in the NIN section of itunes. I've never used itunes before though, so maybe it's in some weird place?

It's on Trent Reznors connect page.

Luke_Wal

Is there a way to hide music in our iCloud Music Library? My sister bought 200 Glee songs on my iTunes account 4 years ago, and now that I had to turn on the iCloud Music Library, there's no way to escape them.

Burger

So the iTunes music library has my album art all fucked up? Any fixes for this?

Not that I know of. On my phone/ipad all my album art is fucked, playing a song might play a different song (with different artwork) and give me an error that a completely different song cannot be played because it wasn't purchased (of course it wasn't, it was on my computer as an mp3 you stupid program).

Shit is fucked.

It's time they break out music to its own app, and the same for Video and podcasts. It made sense when you manually synced everything to your iPod or iPhone, but that's increasingly not how people manage their content anymore.

I never really agreed with this sentiment before, and thought it would create more of a mess than it would help with, but I agree at this point. iTunes is a freaking mess with Apple Music tacked on.

All of my playlists comprising of purchased music are gone from my Music app. When I go to my iPhone on iTunes, I can no longer find a place where I can select which playlists to sync to my phone. This is getting annoying...

I don't see why one would keep Spotify over this unless they have tons of saved playlists in Spotify. This has a larger library of music to stream.

• Social playlists
  • Lag free UI and song playback
  • Superior organisation of songs, artists, albums, playlists
  • Larger library? Didn't even manage to find a quarter of the songs I was looking for which are all on Spotify
  • 50% cheaper if you have a student subscription.

Spotify's biggest failing is they don't give you a locker service like Google or Apple, which I don't really understand, it's such a core and common sense feature.

I dunno i feel like I'll just be using today music. This doesn't seem to have the stuff I listen too which is kinda weird. Kinda cool though that ESPN radio was integrated into the app.

Jimrpg

Yep not only that but iOS apps should be its own OS X app as well rather than in iTunes.

ramyeon

Yep not only that but iOS apps should be its own OS X app as well rather than in iTunes.
I quite like that all the syncing and backup stuff for my phone is done easily through iTunes. I've had no issue with bloat until they added the Apple Music stuff.

I guess I've been really lucky so far. Upgrade went smoothly yesterday (except that I had to delete my 8.4 beta profile to get the 8.4 version from yesterday to download). On my laptops, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad when 8.4 and iTunes finished updating iTunes Cloud Music was on by default so I didn't have those issues. All of my iTunes Match content was still there with the correct album art. I haven't run into any issues with lag in the app or adding Apple Music songs/albums to my existing library (and they properly sync across my devices). I feel for those who have been encountering nothing but issues, but hopefully Apple gets them sorted quickly.

I am posting this to let people know that somewhere underneath the bugs that you've experienced is a really good streaming music experience. Can't argue with the people who say the UI has a long way to go though.

kaskade

Not that I know of. On my phone/ipad all my album art is fucked, playing a song might play a different song (with different artwork) and give me an error that a completely different song cannot be played because it wasn't purchased (of course it wasn't, it was on my computer as an mp3 you stupid program).

Shit is fucked.

Here was a sequence of events for me. Click Above & Beyond, Group Therapy. So at this point the Slipknot Iowa album art is there. Song plays fine. Then there's the option to show the complete album. If I click the complete album the first song suddenly plays Never Gonna Give You Up.

Here was a sequence of events for me. Click Above & Beyond, Group Therapy. So at this point the Slipknot Iowa album art is there. Song plays fine. Then there's the option to show the complete album. If I click the complete album the first song suddenly plays Never Gonna Give You Up.

So this is all a very elaborate Rickroll.

Basically sounds like if you have a large personal library that you don't want to get completely fucked up, stay away from this version.

Chuck

Still without luck
Ok you guys know the song that's always on the radio with a guy singing in a similar style to Ozzy? What song is that?? I'm having an aneurism trying to figure this out.

Burger

So this is all a very elaborate Rickroll.

Basically sounds like if you have a large personal library that you don't want to get completely fucked up, stay away from this version.

I'm hearing it may be due to previously being an iTunes Match customer, and iCloud Music gets awfully confused and messes everything up, but it's also happening to people who have never used Match, so who knows. God knows how it got through testing...

kaskade

I'm hearing it may be due to previously being an iTunes Match customer, and iCloud Music gets awfully confused and messes everything up, but it's also happening to people who have never used Match, so who knows. God knows how it got through testing...

I had iTunes Match but canceled. I wonder if there's a way to completely trash my cloud library and have it go through again.

Kurita

Stuff that's not on my local iTunes store doesn't seem to be available for streaming. Actually, even stuff that is actually on the store isn't on Apple Music.
Sooooo, thanks but no thanks.
Service is a mess right now so maybe they'll show up later? I don't know...

Scottify

It's going to take some getting used to. Now that I've been playing around I'm starting to get the hang of it. The only things I wish they had is a 'now playing' screen for the radio, and a way to delete a radio station I've already created.

Super bummed about my album art changing too but that'll just give me something to do.

Majora

This just constantly throws up situations where it doesn't behave how I'd expect.

There's a 'Recently Played' smart playlist where I expected to be able to see of all the songs I'd been listening to all day. No, it only shows songs I've recently played that are also in my library. Considering the way Apple Music totally blurs the lines between your library, streaming, radio and purchases, this just seems arbitrary and confusing - a result of jamming Apple Music on top of the iTunes framework I guess.

The back button on the Desktop app doesn't behave properly at all. Hit back and more often than not it takes you back whole sections at a time, not just a single page, leaving it sometimes impossible to get back to the page you were just looking at without jumping through hoops.

Why does the iOS app have the option to download a song for offline straight from the song/album menu but the desktop client doesn't?

The desktop app will let you add a song to library but not remove it from the same menu. If you want to remove it you have to go to My Music.

I'm kinda finding it hard to believe that someone road mapped this interface out and were happy with it. It's just hopelessly confused.

kaskade

Yeah, it really fucked up my local music directory. I wonder if people would run into the issue if they didn't have let iTunes organize my music checked. I have a backup somewhere but I'll probably end up losing a bit of recent stuff.

After messing with this for a day, I am a little underwhelmed. It's cool that there's one radio station that the whole world is listening to at once. But I keep hearing the same songs, and without that much time having passed.

I also don't like how it integrates songs you don't own with songs you do, all in your library. I am not opposed to buying music and I do it fairly often. I use Spotify to listen to music I wouldn't pay for. I liked how they were separate. Spotify is music I don't own, iTunes is music I do. Now it's all just crammed together in one place and I feel like it really trivializes music I own by mixing it with all this crap I'd never spend money on.

ramyeon

After messing with this for a day, I am a little underwhelmed. It's cool that there's one radio station that the whole world is listening to at once. But I keep hearing the same songs, and without that much time having passed.

I also don't like how it integrates songs you don't own with songs you do, all in your library. I am not opposed to buying music and I do it fairly often. I use Spotify to listen to music I wouldn't pay for. I liked how they were separate. Spotify is music I don't own, iTunes is music I do. Now it's all just crammed together in one place and I feel like it really trivializes music I own by mixing it with all this crap I'd never spend money on.
Then turn off the iCloud Library, that was the first thing I did since I feel the same way.

RDreamer

The desktop app is rearranging my playlists and I don't understand why.

I usually make a playlist of my top albums of the year, so I was recreating that in Apple Music, mostly on the phone. I had to do some tweaking on the desktop because phones can't really rearrange albums that well. Anyway, suddenly the albums were just jumbled to fuck. So I fixed them... and then did some stuff on the internet and they were jumbled again. It still seems to show up correctly on my phone for now, though. What gives? How do I get it to go back to that old order.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So question...is there a playlist where I can just have the top hits play for like each genre/overall top 100 songs on iTunes type of playlist?

I agree, there has to be an easy way to see which songs you synced and which songs you got through Apple Music.

I'm not sure about all the iTunes complaints though. Yesterday I spent 2 hours to integrate ~90 tracks from Apple Music into my library and several playlist, that seems quick enough to me. Sure, a few more shortcuts would be helpful (I'm missing a connection between the iTunes Store and Apple Music... when you look at the top 100 songs from the Store you can only buy but not add them to your library) and some of the menus feel laggy while scrolling etc., but that's a thing one needs to get used to I think.

But I pay for iTunes Match and I do want that functionality, as I use iTunes at home, at work, and on my phone. Won't turning off iCloud Library kill that function?

There is a seperate option for iTunes Match in Settings -> Music, so I think you could turn off iCloud and just use Match then?

How does "make available offline" work? Is it a temporary download that stays on my phone as long as my subscription is active? Sort of like PS+ for music?

Koodo

Banned
One quick – but potentially not reliable – way of verifying whether something was purchased/exported or added through Apple Music is to go on View » Select "Only Music Available Offline." I imagine most people will only have their purchase/exported content saved to the HDD whereas the Apple Music selection remains streamed.

Not particularly reliable for those of us who migrated most of our libraries to the cloud a while back with iTunes Match though – or for people who have already started downloading streamed music added to the library.

Top Bottom