• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Futureman

I've just ripped my own retail copy of Modest Mouse's 'Moon and Antartica' to my iTunes library - it did it's processing, or whatever it does, I added artwork, as the album is on neither Apple Music or the iTunes store

I don't think this has anything to do with your issue, but Moon & Antarctica is on iTunes Store.

I bet you they will, they killed the awful iPhoto app for a version that's an offshoot of the iOS photo app and it was much better. They're probably working on it right now for next year.

We'll probably get an announcement of it in the fall with the new OS/new hardware launches

We'll probably get an announcement of it in the fall with the new OS/new hardware launches

Doubtful. I don't think we'll see it happen before 2016. Remember - the Photos app was announced at WWDC, and we were told it'd be coming sometime after Yosemite's release.

It'd take serious OS-level reworking of OS X to enable that. You'd need a Music app, a Videos app, probably a Media Store app, the shuffling of the iOS app store into the Mac App Store app, plus OS-level sync services, and that'd be impossible (and pointless) to keep secret.

It wouldn't be as simple as just releasing an update to iTunes.

Doubtful. I don't think we'll see it happen before 2016. Remember - the Photos app was announced at WWDC, and we were told it'd be coming sometime after Yosemite's release.

It'd take serious OS-level reworking of OS X to enable that. You'd need a Music app, a Videos app, probably a Media Store app, the shuffling of the iOS app store into the Mac App Store app, plus OS-level sync services, and that'd be impossible (and pointless) to keep secret.

It wouldn't be as simple as just releasing an update to iTunes.

No I know. Announcement at WWDC 2016 and release later is a distinct possibility, but I think that's way too far off. They have to weigh how many people are going to get fed up with this lackluster iTunes integration

EmiPrime

Is that true? I hope so, I've been avoiding using beats 1 while on LTE because I'm scared of decimating my data allowance.

I have unlimited data which is not all that uncommon in a lot of countries. Not being able to keep the high bit rate while on cellular is an instant deal breaker. At the very least there should be an option.

Aw man. I should've figured, but wtf, they allow storage on iOS devices. I have a 220GB iPod Video. :__;

9Npe8qK.png

ShowDog

Is it true that you can only stream at 128kbps on cellular with the iOS app?

It's pretty inexcusable to not have options. I had to bail on iTunes Match back in the day because it was worthless to stream at 256k on cellular at the time, and annoying to store at that bitrate as well.

Sadly I'm not surprised at all to see no streaming quality choices.

MercuryLS

Banned
I have unlimited data which is not all that uncommon in a lot of countries. Not being able to keep the high bit rate while on cellular is an instant deal breaker. At the very least there should be an option.

Yeah there should be an option. Another thing I don't like is that the toggle to enable data for Apple music is tied to things like auto updates. I want to enable data for Apple music while disabling it for updates and there's no option for that.

Zunepass this is not.
Yeah, yeah.

(Cancels Apple Music trial)

Call me when iOS devices allow SD cards or they sort out this story. I take the subway every day. My Android's 64gb SD card is my fucking best friend on that commute. Apple's storage premium and this restriction = no sale.

EmiPrime

It's pretty inexcusable to not have options. I had to bail on iTunes Match back in the day because it was worthless to stream at 256k on cellular at the time, and annoying to store at that bitrate as well.

Sadly I'm not surprised at all to see no streaming quality choices.

Yeah there should be an option. Another thing I don't like is that the toggle to enable data for Apple music is tied to things like auto updates. I want to enable data for Apple music while disabling it for updates and there's no option for that.

By comparison, Google Music has 3 cellular streaming quality options and stream over wifi only and downloaded music only toggles.

Poor show Apple.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I AM! The Beats app that came before had a high quality option that you could also toggle for Wifi. Of all the functionality they couldn't move over, that had to be one of them
Ohh, so that's where that was from. I recall seeing a post about separate quality toggles for cellular and wifi in an older thread, but I couldn't remember how it was related to Apple Music. But yeah, it's a shame they didn't include that.

edit: it was actually you who posted about it, haha.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169611371&postcount=626

Kaladin

I think we can all see that Apple Music wants to be great....but like so many services at launch it just falls short of the bar. Too many glitches, iffy UI and it's missing a few features that similar services have.

No I know. Announcement at WWDC 2016 and release later is a distinct possibility, but I think that's way too far off. They have to weigh how many people are going to get fed up with this lackluster iTunes integration

iTunes is basically *mostly* WebKit views now. But it isn't strictly certain that a more minimalist Music app wouldn't still have that issue, to be fair.

TimFL

It's a bummer that the iCloud Music Library feature is so goddamn broken. My OCD killed me when I saw how it f***ed up my uploaded songs. Lord of the Rings soundtracks showing up with some random rapper album cover, a lot of songs that were outright broken (like played a completely different song ...?!).

I ended up clearing my whole iTunes Library (fully deleting the files by accident, thank god I'm paranoid and have 4 backups of my whole library on different devices/HDDs) and going through the iTunes store trying to get every song I had (minus most soundtracks because they sadly are never completely available, bummer because I love movie soundtracks) added to my iCloud Library. I got like 85% of my library now.

Any chance that Apple fixes the match feature in the next few weeks/months? I guess not.

Issues that annoy me:
- No download all songs button (I have to resort to creating a smart playlist for that)
- The available offline icon does only show up if you trigger the download for an individual song (downloading the whole album does not apply the tag)
- Quite a few lock-ups when downloading/adding songs to the library
- Artist pages come up blank a lot (have to back out and open again to get the content to load)
- No way to prevent cellular usage for streaming/downloads (I'd love to have access to the song search or New tab and being able to queue downloads for when I'm on wifi)

MercuryLS

Banned
By comparison, Google Music has 3 cellular streaming quality options and stream over wifi only and downloaded music only toggles.

Poor show Apple.

I'm not surprised, Apple tends to strip away settings for things like this. I hope they add them in in the future.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, yeah.

(Cancels Apple Music trial)

Call me when iOS devices allow SD cards or they sort out this story. I take the subway every day. My Android's 64gb SD card is my fucking best friend on that commute. Apple's storage premium and this restriction = no sale.
There's a hint in the new iTunes that the iPod line will get a slight refresh.

So maybe, MAYBE, they will breathe some life into them with a software update to enable Apple Music. On the iPod nano (most recent one with wifi) it seems a good fit, for the others it's a bit more of a stretch, but who knows.

It's almost like this product just launched 36 hours ago.

It's joining a crowded market that has already figured a lot of this stuff out. I know stuff will be fixed, but it's their job to take what the others are doing and build onto it, not do their own thing and build up to the already-established competition

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
Apparently, for those of us that are T-mobile users, Apple Music isn't yet covered as one of the streaming services that doesn't count towards your monthly data usage under Music Freedom.

So careful not to go too wild streaming without WiFi until they make an announcement.

HUELEN10

What does this do to local files?
It doesn't do anything to them. If they are consolidated in your iTunes library, nothing gets DRMed, edited, changed, or replaced in any way.

I am OCD and even the 7 albums that I am working on to properly bugged me, but nothing gets changed.

There's a hint in the new iTunes that the iPod line will get a slight refresh.

So maybe, MAYBE, they will breathe some life into them with a software update to enable Apple Music. On the iPod nano (most recent one with wifi) it seems a good fit, for the others it's a bit more of a stretch, but who knows.
Here's hoping! They could release an iPod software fix that "expires" Apple Music files if the iPod hasn't been tethered in awhile to have the licenses revalidated.

But, I guess that would've been too hard or something. You know those greater-than comparisons. Such a bitch to code!

number11

It doesn't do anything to them. If they are consolidated in your iTunes library, nothing gets DRMed, edited, changed, or replaced in any way.

I am OCD and even the 7 albums that I am working on to properly bugged me, but nothing gets changed.

I don't know if you're being serious or if your just one of the lucky ones. My iTunes library is a mess..

Album art being replaced, song names being changed, random tracks moving to different albums etc. I guess the actual files are fine, but that doesn't really matter when the metadata is screwed up.

Zutroy

iCloud Music should be separate from Apple Music, because as iTunes Match user I knew how shit the service has always been, now the masses are experiencing it

I've been a subscriber of Match since launch, fairly large collection and never had an issue when they've been put on the service. Getting them there is another story though, it started out bad and has gotten progressively worse!

As for Apple Music, I've been enjoying it so far! Really enjoying the 'For You' playlists, no issues with integration with my current library. Only bug I've came across so far is when you click on the button to go to the album with a song from a 'For You' playlist, it just comes up as unknown album and artist for every song.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The music App keeps changing my album art to greatest hits or some low quality cover art. Absolutely infuriating.

I don't know if you're being serious or if your just one of the lucky ones. My iTunes library is a mess..

Album art being replaced, song names being changed, random tracks moving to different albums etc. I guess the actual files are fine, but that doesn't really matter when the metadata is screwed up.

If you turn off Apple Music and iCloud Music Library as a test, is the metadata on your local files still screwed up? I'm wondering if it actually alters the files or creates an alias on top of them when it matches

number11

If you turn off Apple Music and iCloud Music Library as a test, is the metadata on your local files still screwed up? I'm wondering if it actually alters the files or creates an alias on top of them when it matches

yep it's still screwed up. Luckily I have a back up of my entire library which I'm currently reinstalling.

Hopefully it reverts back to the way it was.

Talon

It's joining a crowded market that has already figured a lot of this stuff out. I know stuff will be fixed, but it's their job to take what the others are doing and build onto it, not do their own thing and build up to the already-established competition
These little niggling features like bitrate controls are absolutely inevitable feature updates. Does the streaming market have it figured out? I'd challenge that assertion.

Spotify, the supposed king in the market, only has 15 million paying users with 60 million total users. They've been stuck at the 25% paying line for a few years now.

There are over 1.5 billion smartphone users out there in the by the latest estimates. Apple sold 61 million iPhones last quarter (74 million in the iPhone 6 launch quarter). Even in apples to oranges comparison, Apple sold more $600+ widgets than Spotify has total users for a mostly free streaming service.

The streaming market doesn't have dick figured out. There have been three major players in this space for coming on 9 years now. We're 8 years into the smartphone revolution, and the biggest streaming service has hardly made a dent on the user base.

These little niggling features like bitrate controls are absolutely inevitable feature updates. Does the streaming market have it figured out? I'd challenge that assertion.

Spotify, the supposed king in the market, only has 15 million paying users with 60 million total users. They've been stuck at the 25% paying line for a few years now.

There are over 1.5 billion smartphone users out there in the by the latest estimates. Apple sold 61 million iPhones last quarter (74 million in the iPhone 6 launch quarter). Even in apples to oranges comparison, Apple sold more $600+ widgets than Spotify has total users for a mostly free streaming service.

The streaming market doesn't have dick figured out. There have been three major players in this space for coming on 9 years now. We're 8 years into the smartphone revolution, and the biggest streaming service has hardly made a dent on the user base.

You're arguing two WILDLY different things here. I meant that other streaming services had figured out things like quality options and basic UI stuff, which they have. You're arguing install base for some reason

Ambitious

When the process of matching and uploading my music finished, about 40 songs were suddenly unrated. I know this for sure, as I have a smart playlist for unrated songs. I spent the last two months rating every single song in my library.
I didn't check every single one of those ~40, but a bunch of them were duplicates, so I assumed the rest were too.

This was about two hours ago. I haven't touched iTunes since then. I just noticed that about ~1500 ratings are gone. I'm livid.

Gonna restore my backup and disable this piece of shit service. Should have known better after my experiences with iTunes Match and other iCloud services. Incompetent asshats.

Talon

You're arguing two WILDLY different things here. I meant that other streaming services had figured out things like quality options and basic UI stuff, which they have. You're arguing install base for some reason
I guess I've unmasked myself as a Product Manager. You build the core product to bring a minimum viable product to market with your key features and then you iterate upon them. This is just how software product development works. You identify and solve the 80% of use cases and then address the last 20% and continue to build and iterate.

Again, the niggling details will be iterated upon and improved. No product is complete as it's released.

I also would disagree that the UX is any worse than the Spotify mobile app. The crossed metaphor between starred vs. collection is completely abstract. I was delighted to delete that application off my devices. I was actually quite partial to Rdio's user experience - Apple music's album collection metaphor is pretty much the exact same as Rdio's (unless there's been a major redesign in the last 18 months).

I was actually quite partial to Rdio's user experience - Apple music's album collection metaphor is pretty much the exact same as Rdio's (unless there's been a major redesign in the last 18 months).

It's still the same, though things have been moved around so the Library got buried a little bit under Favorites.

I love Rdio, but imagine I'd transition to this, especially if they get a similar ability to follow friends and see what they are listening to.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I think it's fair to say that the parallels between Apple Maps vs Google Maps; and Apple Music vs Spotify are very similar - over time people will eventually switch over to Apple's in-house applications.

Is Zane Lowe's July 1st playlist up yet? I tried adding a bunch of songs while Beats 1 was playing on iTunes but nothing was working right this morning.

El Topo

I think it's fair to say that the parallels between Apple Maps vs Google Maps; and Apple Music vs Spotify are very similar - over time people will eventually switch over to Apple's in-house applications.

Maybe. Things might be different since it's a paid app. Negative word of mouth might carry on a bit longer.

Top Bottom