• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

What do people think are the chances Apple will remove songs/artists from your streaming library and not tell you? Do they lose content like Netflix does?

Google and Spotify seem to do this all the time. I will log on and every, say, week or two, my total artist count will have gone down and I won't know who has disappeared. The only workaround for Google is to save a page and then go through comparing to see who is missing and that is awfully tedious. I neglected it for a couple of weeks and it fell from 397 artists to 393.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
What do people think are the chances Apple will remove songs/artists from your streaming library and not tell you?

Google and Spotify seem to do this all the time. I will log on and every, say, week or two, my total artist count will have gone down and I won't know who has disappeared. The only workaround for Google is to save a page and then go through comparing to see who is missing and that is awfully tedious. I neglected it for a couple of weeks and it fell from 397 artists to 393.

Hopefully, they won't remove artists/songs, and even if they do I hope they notify the users. That's one thing I hated about Spotify, always removing some of my songs for a few weeks then re-appear later.

HUELEN10

I don't know if you're being serious or if your just one of the lucky ones. My iTunes library is a mess..

Album art being replaced, song names being changed, random tracks moving to different albums etc. I guess the actual files are fine, but that doesn't really matter when the metadata is screwed up.
I am being serious, and perhaps I am one of the lucky ones.
MzDLKdm.jpg
Everything is co-existing beautifully. Nothing local gets changed, and cloud albums fully co-exist with my library, no replaced art or nothing either, even personal game rips work.

Except for my few 7 trouble albums which I am looking into now, everything just works.

Hopefully, they won't remove artists/songs, and even if they do I hope they notify the users. That's one thing I hated about Spotify, always removing some of my songs for a few weeks then re-appear later.

Highly likely. All streaming services do this. Licenses don't always get renewed. But they also suddenly come back too.

At the very least, a notification would be great rather than being ignorant of your music library slowly being cut-down. That way you can always buy and upload the songs yourself.

Not sure how I'm going to monitor Apple removals. You can't save the page like you can with Google.

X-Frame

When the process of matching and uploading my music finished, about 40 songs were suddenly unrated. I know this for sure, as I have a smart playlist for unrated songs. I spent the last two months rating every single song in my library.
I didn't check every single one of those ~40, but a bunch of them were duplicates, so I assumed the rest were too.

This was about two hours ago. I haven't touched iTunes since then. I just noticed that about ~1500 ratings are gone. I'm livid.

Gonna restore my backup and disable this piece of shit service. Should have known better after my experiences with iTunes Match and other iCloud services. Incompetent asshats.

Damn, sorry to hear about this. This is why I haven't even enabled iCloud Music Library on mine. I do have iTunes Match though which besides a major glitch about a year ago that changed a lot of my metadata and wouldn't update for about a week, it's been good.

But I'm considering turning Match off for now in case any of the iCloud Music Library issues leak into Match.

At the very least, a notification would be great rather than being ignorant of your music library slowly being cut-down. That way you can always buy and upload the songs yourself.

Not sure how I'm going to monitor Apple removals. You can't save the page like you can with Google.

I don't think streaming companies like to do that too much (including Netflix). Bad PR, plus sometimes the lapse is only temporary.

I don't think streaming companies like to do that too much (including Netflix). Bad PR, plus sometimes the lapse is only temporary.

Do you know if Spotify automatically re-adds the tracks to your library? With Google, you have to manually find and re-add them. It wouldn't be too bad if it was all automatic.

Schlep

I think it's fair to say that the parallels between Apple Maps vs Google Maps; and Apple Music vs Spotify are very similar - over time people will eventually switch over to Apple's in-house applications.

Most of the iPhone people I know use Waze or Google Maps. Definitely anecdotal, but I feel like Apple Maps still has quite a ways to go.

Am I doing something wrong, or misunderstanding something? If I search for an album in the "For You" tab, click "add to My Music", why isn't it showing up in the My Music tab?

edit: My mistake. Had only local music being displayed.

I am being serious, and perhaps I am one of the lucky ones.

Everything is co-existing beautifully. Nothing local gets changed, and cloud albums fully co-exist with my library, no replaced art or nothing either, even personal game rips work.

Except for my few 7 trouble albums which I am looking into now, everything just works.

I'm right there with you. Have an 8,000 song, 500+ album library, and as far as I can tell nothing got screwed up in my iCloud Music Library. It was previously stored in iTunes Match so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Am I doing something wrong, or misunderstanding something? If I search for an album in the "For You" tab, click "add to My Music", why isn't it showing up in the My Music tab?

Do you have "Show Music Available Offline" turned off? If not you need to turn it off unless you are downloading albums from Apple Music to your device for offline use.

Ashhong

edit: My mistake. Had only local music being displayed.

I wonder why some people seem to have this option selected by default, whereas I had all music showing by default. It's not exactly an easy to find option either.

Do you have "Show Music Available Offline" turned off? If not you need to turn it off unless you are downloading albums from Apple Music to your device for offline use.

I wonder why some people seem to have this option selected by default, whereas I had all music showing by default. It's not exactly an easy to find option either.

Thanks! Yep, just figured it out as soon as I posted.

And to confirm, yep, the default option was showing only local on-device music. Strange.

I think it's fair to say that the parallels between Apple Maps vs Google Maps; and Apple Music vs Spotify are very similar - over time people will eventually switch over to Apple's in-house applications.

Has Apple Maps improved?

Last time I tried it, it sucked and I am still using Google Maps.

By comparison, Google Music has 3 cellular streaming quality options and stream over wifi only and downloaded music only toggles.

Poor show Apple.

This is definitely an option. I just turned it off today to see how the cellular streaming quality kept up at work, noticed how much data I'd eaten up after five hours, then turned it back on.

Ambitious

This is what I see when I navigate to my account in the iTunes Store and click the "Done" button at the bottom.

bildschirmfoto2015-0771uc8.png

It's reproducible. Can someone please verify it's not just me?

Has Apple Maps improved?

I took like a 2,400 mile round trip road trip in March, and actually tested Apple Maps and Google Maps side by side to see how much Apple Maps improved. They were basically the same in every instance that I was using them. They both were suggesting the same routes, and displaying basically the same arrival times based on traffic. Google Maps still has lane guidance which Apple Maps doesn't, but Apple Maps will actually display your navigation on the lock screen with Google Maps doesn't.

By comparison, Google Music has 3 cellular streaming quality options and stream over wifi only and downloaded music only toggles.

Poor show Apple.

This is definitely an option. I just turned it off today to see how the cellular streaming quality kept up at work, noticed how much data I'd eaten up after five hours, then turned it back on.

Yes, turning off streaming over cellular can be turned off. It's not in the settings for the Music.app, rather it's in settings-cellular and then you scroll down and can toggle on or off any app you want to allow to use cell data.

HUELEN10

I'm right there with you. Have an 8,000 song, 500+ album library, and as far as I can tell nothing got screwed up in my iCloud Music Library. It was previously stored in iTunes Match so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Iv'e never had iTunes Match, and my library nears 20k tracks.

I did notice ONE thing with some of my trouble albums, and I think I found a solution.

EmiPrime

Has Apple Maps improved?

It's okay for driving, rubbish for anything else. The next update will only have transit for some major cities and there's still no cycling directions.

Those who claim that it's on par with Google Maps are almost certainly motorists.

Mononoke

Banned
Ruh oh, all my music i added yesterday is now grayed out. Sigh. I'm sure someone has already asked this a billion times.

Have to figure out what's going on. I added the music on my iPad.

EDIT:

And...now it's not grayed out. Literally changed in front of my eyes. WTF

HUELEN10

Ruh oh, all my music i added yesterday is now grayed out. Sigh. I'm sure someone has already asked this a billion times.

Have to figure out what's going on. I added the music on my iPad.

EDIT:

And...now it's not grayed out. Literally changed in front of my eyes. WTF
Seems to be a server-side fault. It hasn't happened to me yet, but it happened with my roomie.

Seems if you want to quickly fix it, simply restart the Music app or iTunes. one of those growing pains it seems.

Mononoke

Banned
Seems to be a server-side fault. It hasn't happened to me yet, but it happened with my roomie.

Seems if you want to quickly fix it, simply restart the Music app or iTunes. one of those growing pains it seems.

Yep! I think it was a hiccup, because I had added the songs on my iPad (liked an artist from Beats 1 radio, and added them from my tablet). Then I had hopped on my iTunes for the first time (I don't think the two caught up). But after closing iTunes out and re-opening it, the issue got fixed.

I haven't really had any issues with this besides that. And it got resolved really quick.

HUELEN10

Yep! I think it was a hiccup, because I had added the songs on my iPad (liked an artist from Beats 1 radio, and added them from my tablet). Then I had hopped on my iTunes for the first time (I don't think the two caught up). But after closing iTunes out and re-opening it, the issue got fixed.

I haven't really had any issues with this besides that. And it got resolved really quick.
Yeah. My major gripe was followed numbers being wrong, but that seems to have been fixed as well. I have no idea how people are experiencing all these matching problems, but I am finding trends and solutions.

For example, make sure you guys aren't using iTunes-purchased music from someone else's account; it WILL error-out (common issue if you have a family). Solution? Back up those files, delete music from all devices and library, Re-encode to 320kbps, put those back in iTunes, after sync and upload/match is down, delete by selection "remove download, then put the backed-up original purchased files into iTunes, play one, wait a few seconds to see duplicates vanish, and smile enjoying every device you own can stream it in 256kbps and you have that same original file, with no DRM, on your host machine and every locally synced machine.

Took less than 2 minutes to fix for the one problem album I had with this problem. Now everything is going swimmingly!

Wow, I actually am really okay with Apple Music now. Now that the iOS music app and the Mac iTunes app sync effortlessly, it's amazing. I can fix tracklisting/title/artwork errors on the Mac and it's instantly pushed to my iPhone.

neshcom

Banned
Got off the phone with Apple support. They seemed somewhat aware of playlist syncing/sharing issues. Since the playlist that got borked was in iTunes Match, they might be able to recover it.

Wouldn't recommend sharing a playlist for a little bit here, especially if it's got not-Apple Music tracks or something really important to you.

Another thing that's been happening is sometimes I'll have a song in my library with the same name, same artist, but different version as something on Apple Music.

When I play the version on Apple Music, it links up to the song I have on my library. Changes the art and everything too.

That happening for anyone else?

At this point, I'm getting so annoyed with all the caveats of this that its really turning me off. I know its still fresh but jesus, stupid me to think that Apple could build something that "just works". So many hoops to go through, so many checkboxes that need to be checked. Like what? What the fuck?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
UGH

just updated to iTunes 12.2. Booted it up and none of my music shows up, just my icloud stuff I've purchased. Ok, fair enough, that happens when I update iTunes, it's easy enough to hold down Shift while iTunes boots up and it will let you select a .itl file for your existing library.

Did that and none of my shit is showing up. Nothing at all. Fuckin' Apple. goddammit. Half a year of Playlists, meticulously curated metadata and all that shit flushed down the toilet.

What do people think are the chances Apple will remove songs/artists from your streaming library and not tell you? Do they lose content like Netflix does?

I mean it's a reality of licensing/streaming. Nothing lasts forever and you don't own the music. Just renting for as long as the contract allows.

HUELEN10

Oh sweet, all locally synced songs get a little icon next to them on iOS, so you know what is local and what is in the cloud, and what is DRMed offline from the cloud. Very convenient.

UGH

just updated to iTunes 12.2. Booted it up and none of my music shows up, just my icloud stuff I've purchased. Ok, fair enough, that happens when I update iTunes, it's easy enough to hold down Shift while iTunes boots up and it will let you select a .itl file for your existing library.

Did that and none of my shit is showing up. Nothing at all. Fuckin' Apple. goddammit. Half a year of Playlists, meticulously curated metadata and all that shit flushed down the toilet.
Do you have a backup? Like guys, I seriously don't doubt you with any of these horror stories, and I am working on guides while I do the finishing touches on my end, but can you elaborate on how your libraries were composed beforehand or something?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How can I view ONLY my albums that are currently in the cloud? Either on my phone or desktop.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Do you have a backup? Like guys, I seriously don't doubt you with any of these horror stories, and I am working on guides while I do the finishing touches on my end, but can you elaborate on how your libraries were composed beforehand or something?

I've found a backup! It's from a few days ago, but there was a folder with an .itl file in it and poof, shit was back to its state as of the 29th of June. What would you like to know about my library? I'm pretty regimented on how things get stored through iTunes now.

You can never figure out why or how to fix this unintuitive mess from fucking up your library, can't find the Donnie Trumpet album I downloaded from release.

HUELEN10

How can I view ONLY my albums that are currently in the cloud? Either on my phone or desktop.
ONLY and not simply an indicator? On iOS< I don't think you can, but on iTunes, just hit song list view, and click the cloud icon to organize by that. Anything that you don't have locally will look like this.
And if you click on it...
jbR07qb.png

It shows that it is in iCloud. of course if in Album view, you will know what is local and what is not simply by looking for the cloud indicator at the bottom right of the art!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The massive lag after I exit the music app on my iPhone 6 is driving me nuts. A full 2 - 3 seconds of unresponsive input.

HUELEN10

The massive lag after I exit the music app on my iPhone 6 is driving me nuts. A full 2 - 3 seconds of unresponsive input.

On a 64GB unit myself, and I've yet to experience this. Definitely not normal. Before doing a full-backup and doing a non-delate OS install and restore, try these tips.

1. Do a hard-reset of the phone by holding home and power.

2. If that doesn't work, quit music, go to settings, music settings, de-select apple music AND iCloud library, turn off, turn on, go back to settings, re-enable options, and star music WHILE connected online.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
ONLY and not simply an indicator? On iOS< I don't think you can, but on iTunes, just hit song list view, and click the cloud icon to organize by that. Anything that you don't have locally will look like this.

And if you click on it...
jbR07qb.png

It shows that it is in iCloud. of course if in Album view, you will know what is local and what is not simply by looking for the cloud indicator at the bottom right of the art!

in iTunes, you can make a new Smart Playlist:

Location is iCloud
Location is Not on this computer.

Thanks to both. The Smart Playlist method showed all songs that have ever been in iCloud I think. For example it had iTunes purchases that were also on my computer right now.

Using your method Huelen, only songs that were in iCloud but NOT in my Desktop library had the iCloud symbol.

Top Bottom