• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Lynn616

I deleted my whole iCloud Music Library and started over. Been adding a few artist at a time. It is still painful but it is working now. Slowly.

Thanks to both. The Smart Playlist method showed all songs that have ever been in iCloud I think. For example it had iTunes purchases that were also on my computer right now..

If you don't want purchased songs, you can 'Purchased is false' to the smart playlist criteria.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
On a 64GB unit myself, and I've yet to experience this. Definitely not normal. Before doing a full-backup and doing a non-delate OS install and restore, try these tips.

1. Do a hard-reset of the phone by holding home and power.

2. If that doesn't work, quit music, go to settings, music settings, de-select apple music AND iCloud library, turn off, turn on, go back to settings, re-enable options, and star music WHILE connected online.

Seems like the second option helped. Thanks for this.

I got an iCloud Music Library error at first. Had to turn off both the Apple Music and iCloud Library option multiple times until it worked. We'll see how it goes.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
If you don't want purchased songs, you can 'Purchased is false' to the smart playlist criteria.

Since I haven't turned on iCloud music library or added anything to it, this Smart Playlist is blank. That's how it should be right?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
That seems simpler, but I must ask...

What exactly is a Smart playlist?

really???? weird..

it's a playlist created in iTunes (don't think you can do it on iOS) that automatically stays current based on criteria. Really that simple. So when it was introduced you could do something like "Song year > 1979 and song year < 1990 and genre = pop or genre = rock"

you could even then include smart playlists inside of other smart playlists.. so you could have one playlist with just "Song year > 1979 and song year < 1990" and then another playlist to say "playlist = 80s playlist and genre = pop or genre = rock"

Fry

Anyone know the reason I simply can't play some songs?

Ones I noticed:

Illuminate by Ab-Soul

Taylor Swift feat Kendrick - Bad Blood

Ashhong

really???? weird..

it's a playlist created in iTunes (don't think you can do it on iOS) that automatically stays current based on criteria. Really that simple. So when it was introduced you could do something like "Song year > 1979 and song year < 1990 and genre = pop or genre = rock"

you could even then include smart playlists inside of other smart playlists.. so you could have one playlist with just "Song year > 1979 and song year < 1990" and then another playlist to say "playlist = 80s playlist and genre = pop or genre = rock"

So does Smart Playlist play nice with Apple Music? If I make one on iTunes and add it to my phone with the criteria of say, kpop, will it automatically add ALL kpop songs that I add from Apple Music?

Ones I noticed:

Illuminate by Ab-Soul

I dont even see the Kendrick version of Bad Blood at all

Trying out the 3-month trial, am I right in assuming that if I wanted to keep this, I can get rid of the iTunes Match subscription I'm already using since Apple Music's subscription allows for the same thing?

Kinsella

Banned

Ones I noticed:

Illuminate by Ab-Soul

Same reason I can't play Prince or Bob Seger songs. Not part of the service. There was a lot of talk about Apple Music giving you access to everything on iTunes, but that was completely false it seems.

I am trying the 90 day trial.

Is it me or is this iTunes pretty awful? UI?

Seems all UI is pretty crap these days at apple but this iTunes is all over the place.

Yep, been commented on quite a bit in this thread. I was one of the people that used to bag on the Spotify UI, but that thing is godly compared to the iTunes UI.

I am trying the 90 day trial.

Is it me or is this iTunes pretty awful? UI?

Seems all UI is pretty crap these days at apple but this iTunes is all over the place.

I wish they would just use the iTunes store / Movies /TV Show dark theme for apple music instead of all this white.

Too much white everywhere.

I will continue to use for remainder of trial but will not drop spotify.

Ashhong

I wish they would just use the iTunes store / Movies /TV Show dark theme for apple music instead of all this white.

Too much white everywhere.

I will continue to use for remainder of trial but will not drop spotify.

I mean, it changes with every artist and whenever you go into a song though. Better than the constant black and green ugliness of Spotify.

HUELEN10

u6OTnGE.jpg
This isn't an Apple MUSIC gripe, rather a fight I've had with Apple for years! "2" albums, I this case Galaxy 2, are ALWAYS listed before the original if the original isn't "1". Have I been overlooking the obvious for years or is this an actual never-fixed issue.

Ashhong

This isn't an Apple MUSIC gripe, rather a fight I've had with Apple for years! "2" albums, I this case Galaxy 2, are ALWAYS listed before the original if the original isn't "1". Have I been overlooking the obvious for years or is this an actual never-fixed issue.

I'm pretty sure there is something you can change to make that the way you want it..I'll have to look at mine later tonight.

With all the local file issues going on with Match and album art disappearing or being messed up, I'm cool with just listening to it as just a streaming service. Nothing more nothing less. I'll have Google play for all my local stuff since it handles a whole lot better, simpler and free tbh.

Garou

Right click the album -> properties -> tab "Sorting" -> enter "Super Mario Galaxy OST 1" as album-name for sorting.

Vyer

I'm guessing because I was already using Match is why I haven't had any real issues with syncing my library on multiple devices. Haven't tried adding and editing anything new though, so I'm sure I'll run into some bugs there.

borghe

in the song/album properties (in iTunes) change the sort by option. probably the easiest fix would be to have the non-numbered album sort by Galaxy 1 in your case.

edit - beaten damn it.

Same reason I can't play Prince or Bob Seger songs. Not part of the service. There was a lot of talk about Apple Music giving you access to everything on iTunes, but that was completely false it seems.

pretty sure only the hopeless dreamers believed it would be 1:1 with the store. Pretty much every sensible person knew it would be restricted along standard streaming service lines. With that being said, apparently it DOES have 7M more tracks than Spotify..

So does Smart Playlist play nice with Apple Music? If I make one on iTunes and add it to my phone with the criteria of say, kpop, will it automatically add ALL kpop songs that I add from Apple Music?

I had to test it first, but the answer seems to be yes. I have one Bleachers song purchased, I added one from Music, and created a Smart Playlist where Aritst=Bleachers and it added both songs.

edit 2 - holy shit!!!!! All of this talk about smart playlists and I went back to look at playlists that I created probably 10 years ago and no god damn shit!!! They are all updated with everything I've added/purchased over the last 10 years. damn. this is AWESOME.

also one other thing I've realized on why you might want to add something you My Music... once it's IN My Music, you actually have the ability to edit the metadata. Going back to that Bleachers song I mentioned above, I can change the name, artist, album name, etc. So on the subject here of Smart Playlists, you could change the genre to something specific, that would then allow a song/album to be picked up by a smart playlist you have keyed on that genre. Or another thing I like to do is when buying Greatest Hits albums, changing the Year value to the actual year of the song for similar reasons.

Phreaker

I am. Where do I go though? On windows.

I don't really know where it is either other than in the For You and New sections (along the top). I just go to search and it gives me the option of My Library or Apple Music.

Is it right that I can't just click an album in the iTunes Store that is available on Apple Music to add it to my library? I have to use Search / Apple Music? (in iTunes)

Lynn616

I think it's fair to say that the parallels between Apple Maps vs Google Maps; and Apple Music vs Spotify are very similar - over time people will eventually switch over to Apple's in-house applications.

Some people paying for Spotify will but Spotify also has a free option. I don't see any reason for those people to want to start paying now. Of course this is just for iOS. When it comes to Android it will not have the advantage of being auto installed.

Miyahon

Just made a few playlists and started adding songs to all of them. When I went back to check them out none of the music I added were in there except just a few of them...

Patchy

Banned
So.... how the hell do you save music for offline listening in iTunes (on a MacBook)?

I can't find the info anywhere, the apple guide says to select the 'cloud' icon next to an album but nothing appears at all.

borghe

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/1/8877129/apple-music-icloud-problems

I'm glad this is getting some coverage. I had a backup but it completely fucked up my library.

yeah I mean I was fine with Match, but the most infamous Match snafu for me is Blink-182 - Dammit. arghh..

It seems like a no brainer for Apple to offer a "correct bad match" option. I mean sure there is the potential to cheat or grief.. but there is ALREADY the potential to cheat on Match regardless.

Is Apple Music down for anyone else? I can't access radio, new or even my own music right now. I'm on iPhone 6.

eh, it was "down" for me like all day, until I realized it was JUST AT&T in the area and ONLY connecting to Apple. Once I went on wifi everything was fine. Not sure if that helps.. I mean I couldn't even access my iTunes account, and when I signed out (ugh), I couldn't sign back in until I connected to wifi.. fucking AT&T.

Just made a few playlists and started adding songs to all of them. When I went back to check them out none of the music I added were in there except just a few of them...
double check that you don't have "Show Music Available Offline" turned on.

So.... how the hell do you save music for offline listening in iTunes (on a MacBook)?

I can't find the info anywhere, the apple guide says to select the 'cloud' icon next to an album but nothing appears at all.
right click the song and near the top of the context menu is "Make Available Offline". If it's a matched/uploaded song it should grab it in m4a. If it's an Apple Music song it will grab it in m4p. edit - you have to add it to My Music first to make it available offline. You can't just find stuff on Music and make it available offline without adding it to My Music first.

After you've added it to your Music and it's in iTunes, click the cloud with a down arrow icon.

Appleman

I'm guessing because I was already using Match is why I haven't had any real issues with syncing my library on multiple devices. Haven't tried adding and editing anything new though, so I'm sure I'll run into some bugs there.

Yep, seems like Match users like us have an advantage both in terms of the migration being simpler and already knowing how that aspect of Apple Music works

TheZink

Is Apple music killing you all battery life? I use spotify all the time and battery life is fine. Apple music sucks a percent every minute and my phone is getting really warm.

Is Apple music killing you all battery life? I use spotify all the time and battery life is fine. Apple music sucks a percent every minute and my phone is getting really warm.

I listened for at least 2 hours today with Bluetooth headphones connected to my phone and maybe lost 10% over that span. I've played with Apple Music in general quite a bit in the past day and a half and according to my battery usage stats it hasn't even used as much power as home & lock screen have.

Animator

double check that you don't have "Show Music Available Offline" turned on.

right click the song and near the top of the context menu is "Make Available Offline". If it's a matched/uploaded song it should grab it in m4a. If it's an Apple Music song it will grab it in m4p. edit - you have to add it to My Music first to make it available offline. You can't just find stuff on Music and make it available offline without adding it to My Music first.

This is stupid. There should be a way to set a playlist as "offline" and any song you add to it automatically becomes available offline like you could with spotify.

TheZink

I listened for at least 2 hours today with Bluetooth headphones connected to my phone and maybe lost 10% over that span. I've played with Apple Music in general quite a bit in the past day and a half and according to my battery usage stats it hasn't even used as much power as home & lock screen have.
Weird. Maybe I need to do a fresh install &#128557;

Ermac

I don't see any options for Apple Music on itunes on Windows.. The For You and other tabs aren't there.

On Mac I could click Account > Apple Music to make them appear but they're not there on Windows. I'm on the latest version

borghe

so apparently playlist URLs aren't working in iTunes OS X (not sure about windows). Sharing playlists now with Apple Music seems like an incredible opportunity, but bringing up the link in 12.2 just drops you off at the last New page you were at. I did open the link on my phone and it opened in Music correctly though.

oh well. Hopefully fixed soon.

fwiw, here's a 90s slightly more mainstream alt rock playlist I put together from my actual collection a few years back.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/90s-alt-rock/idpl.e819726f670f4ef7b9c6686caf431849

borghe

This is stupid. There should be a way to set a playlist as "offline" and any song you add to it automatically becomes available offline like you could with spotify.

You quoted two completely unrelated things from two different people fyi.

On iOS, by default when you just "Add to My Music" it will add the cloud copy. On "My Music" though if for whatever reason you have that option turned on that I mentioned, it will look like the song didn't add to My Music, when it did but you are only showing downloaded songs.

The second user's problem is the way iTunes 12.2 currently works on the desktop. On iOS, there is an option on Music songs to "Make Available Offline" which will both add them to My Music AND download them. On the desktop, it seems you can only first add them to My Music, then download them from there.

regarding YOUR actual complaint, you can designate playlists (on both desktop and iOS) as "Make Available Offline" and it will download the whole playlist. I'm not sure if you add a song to that playlist after that then if it will then download that song also. I suppose I can test that.

edit - ok, I just tested it and what you were complaining for is exactly how it works. If I create a playlist, then say "Make Available Offline", anything I add from music into that playlist a) gets added to My Music, b) gets added to the playlist, and c) is downloaded to your device to listen to offline. So it's "just like Spotify", but again neither of what they were asking had anything to do with your invalid complaint.

Quasar

Some people paying for Spotify will but Spotify also has a free option. I don't see any reason for those people to want to start paying now. Of course this is just for iOS. When it comes to Android it will not have the advantage of being auto installed.

Well that depends. With the trial they may have gotten used to the merging of local libraries with Apples, a feature Spotify lacks.

Certainly thats the main reason I only ever dabbled with Spotify.

As much as I'm annoyed by how poorly the local library in iCloud works (unlike googles seamless experience - albeit with the fact that you take longer as it uploads the whole thing) it comes closer to what I want, which is basically Google Play Music but with excellent curation/recommendation/playlists.

Of course if I'm unable to massage the iCloud upload to work properly and/or the android app turns out terrible, I'll probably just return to Google Play Music and live without the curation.

borghe

Well that depends. With the trial they may have gotten used to the merging of local libraries with Apples, a feature Spotify lacks.

Certainly thats the main reason I only ever dabbled with Spotify.

As much as I'm annoyed by how poorly the local library in iCloud works (unlike googles seamless experience - albeit with the fact that you take longer as it uploads the whole thing) it comes closer to what I want, which is basically Google Play Music but with excellent curation/recommendation/playlists.

Of course if I'm unable to massage the iCloud upload to work properly and/or the android app turns out terrible, I'll probably just return to Google Play Music and live without the curation.

fwiw, my initial iTunes Match upload was god awful. Like one of the worst experiences I've had with music (including ripping the ~500 discs to begin with). HOWEVER, once that was completed (days.....), aside from the probably 1:1000 or so bad matches (usually clean instead of explicit) it has worked amazingly well. to the point that I look at comments like "how poorly the local library works" and I am actually confused. For me it's basically been my entire library on every device and desktop I have. which is what it's advertised as. Curious as to the problems you've had.

the3ye

I deleted my whole iCloud Music Library and started over. Been adding a few artist at a time. It is still painful but it is working now. Slowly.
Any way to clear it all at once or do I have to go artist by artist? They fucked metadata on most of my things ulploaded to iCould Library and it pisses me off.

MercuryLS

Banned
I would like to hug the person at Apple that finally realized that blowing up album art to take up most of the screen does indeed look like shit and shouldn't happen with the Apple music player.

Quasar

fwiw, my initial iTunes Match upload was god awful. Like one of the worst experiences I've had with music (including ripping the ~500 discs to begin with). HOWEVER, once that was completed (days.....), aside from the probably 1:1000 or so bad matches (usually clean instead of explicit) it has worked amazingly well. to the point that I look at comments like "how poorly the local library works" and I am actually confused. For me it's basically been my entire library on every device and desktop I have. which is what it's advertised as. Curious as to the problems you've had.

Well I've been seeing track mismatches, wrong cover art (and in some cases different album data as the track I have is matched with the same track in a different album), or just errors in upload with the iCloud Status just listed as error and its unclear why it failed.

Lynn616

How do you do that?

Any way to clear it all at once or do I have to go artist by artist? They fucked metadata on most of my things ulploaded to iCould Library and it pisses me off.

I selected all my music in iTunes and deleted it. ( Be Careful. It just deleted from iTunes for me but I don't want someone to get all their music deleted )

zppiAEJ.png

I selected delete. Not sure what Remove download does. ( Maybe Remove download just deletes from iCloud and I would not need to add it back to iTunes but I am not sure )

Then I added just one song to iTunes and then updated iCloud music library. Checked my phone and all that was in the My Music section was the one song. Then I started adding a few artist at a time and updating iCloud Music Library each time.

File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library

I am sure there is a better way to do it but it is working for me.

Ermac

This is so convoluted. If dorks like us are having trouble managing our libraries, what does Apple think is going to happen to the average subscriber when they try this?

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So maybe it's my work internet, but is anyone else getting an error that says "the server is not correctly configured" any time they try to play a song?

the3ye

I selected all my music in iTunes and deleted it.

zppiAEJ.png

I selected delete. Not sure what Remove download does.

Then I added just one song to iTunes and then updated iCloud music library. Checked my phone and all that was in the My Music section was the one song. Then I started adding a few artist at a time and updating iCloud Music Library each time.

File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library

I am sure there is a better way to do it but it is working for me.

Looks nice, but this will destroy "date added" data, right?

Top Bottom