• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Anyone have any issues on iPad on artist pages? When I go to an artist page it will not let me play songs at times and will never let me select similar artists. Want to see if others are having similar issues before trying trouble shoot further.

19154070278_2bf691b361_c.jpg

Radiohead 90s B-sides and a Nigel Godrich playlist? Apple Music, you spoil me.

hyp

Siri: "Shazam!"

(Place phone by car radio speaker)

This song sounds like ....

(Adds song to Apple Music)

we living in the future folks!

Vire

Does Apple not give a fuck about track listing?

Listening to Miguel's newest and it's completely out of order and it fucks up the whole album. Am I doing something wrong? I also hit the + to add to my music and it's not showing up?

T-0800

Anyone else having trouble with Siri? It understands what I'm saying as it displays it in text but the song doesn't play despite being available.

GWX

I uploaded my 51 GB library to iCloud. I'm scared though, as I saw some fuck ups regarding album arts on my iPad and iPhone already. These matching services never work properly =( Google loved to duplicate all my stuff when I used that, per example.

the3ye

Might fuck up other things I don't know. Just be careful. Also, I am on PC. Not sure if iTunes on Mac is different.

OK for now I just deleted my iCloud library.
Backuped iTunes Music Library.xml etc, deleted songs from iTunes, updated iCloud, restored iTunes Music Library.xml. My added times are intact and iCloud library is empty.
If they fix uploading to iCloud or give option to choose what to upload I will try again, too much hussle to deal with my whole library piece by piece.

Vire

God this interface is such shit. Tiny text everywhere and under new music you can only scroll like 4 rows or so?

Really disappointed with the user experience so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Conceptually I think I would like a service like this that gives me access to Apple's music catalogue. In practice iTunes12 is regressive on its own, and this new layer of Apple Music seems to complicate things further. Everything is multiple button clicks away for even the simplest process, and static elements of the UI are either extremely minimal or non-existent. Navigation is a nightmare. You can listen to a song on Apple Music and inserting it into a playlist is just hilariously obtuse. Add on the oddities. I can crash this program like it's nothing. Basic genre splits for what's presented with radio are awful with a number of what should be standard genres being completely unrepresented.

Discovery is hyper limited, particularly because many elements of the UI just aren't something you can interact with. If an artist comes up on a self-created radio station how do you discover more about them? You can direct pull up the store if you click through the options from the "..."??? The only way to further access them through Apple Music is to literally type their name in the search bar with "Apple Music" active. There's also no rewind/back feature while streaming music, which may be a blessing in its own weird way because Apple still inexplicably ties mouse back to rewind/previous song. Basic mouse use for web browsing has already dictated that mouse back should bring you to the previous page you were browsing. Maybe having this functionality would make browsing the store like a billion times less cumbersome.

This is so bad it's unreal to me. It sucks because there's actually something cool here but it's basically unusable. And everything is so god damn tiny. The song bar at the top. Tracking. The type face for everything. What the heck is all this space being used for? Literally nothing. What are all these weird extraneous elements? What does hearting a song do? Why can I not unheart them?

HUELEN10

Okay, I am almost done going through the library, but I have an issue...

iTunes cannot connect to iCloud! If I go to preferences and deselect their loud music library checkbox and okay it, and go back, it remains unchecked!

What do?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its weird that Siri from the apple watch won't intialize any song like it will on the iPhone.
At least music you add to your library shows up just fine.

holygeesus

Banned
So to clarify, the iPhone app only streams at 128kbps over cellular data right? We get the full 256kbps when using the phone over wireless?

If not, that will be me going back to Spotify, for sure.

HUELEN10

I'VE DONE IT, I FINALLY, REALLY DID IT.
3 albums might have incorrect art when on an iOS device, and I didn't feel like tweak/force uploading some Beatles albums so I synced them locally instead, but I now have my ENTIRE music library with me, near 17k songs with me, at all times, all correctly labeled, tagged, and whatnot, full quality on computers, clear 256kbps on mobile.

This has taken YEARS, and today, in what totaled about 36 hours of using the new service, everything I've worked for collection-wise has paid off. This feels incredible, there used to always be a missing piece, but not anymore.

It's not perfect, I ran into issues myself, but I stuck with it, and now am living the dream, something I have never been able to do with ANY service or product prior.

I always go to whatever is best, he'll I pod for Spotify since day 1, but I think it is safe to say that thanks to Apple MUSIC, Cupertino has a customer for LIFE.

I thought you could heart Beats 1 songs you like as it plays, but the heart icon never clears its state when another song comes on, e.g. once you click the heart icon, it's always hilited. I can't tell if this is a bug or if I'm misunderstanding the feature.

I'VE DONE IT, I FINALLY, REALLY DID IT.
3 albums might have incorrect art when on an iOS device, and I didn't feel like tweak/force uploading some Beatles albums so I synced them locally instead, but I now have my ENTIRE music library with me, near 17k songs with me, at all times, all correctly labeled, tagged, and whatnot, full quality on computers, clear 256kbps on mobile.

This has taken YEARS, and today, in what totaled about 36 hours of using the new service, everything I've worked for collection-wise has paid off. This feels incredible, there used to always be a missing piece, but not anymore.

It's not perfect, I ran into issues myself, but I stuck with it, and now am living the dream, something I have never been able to do with ANY service or product prior.

I always go to whatever is best, he'll I pod for Spotify since day 1, but I think it is safe to say that thanks to Apple MUSIC, Cupertino has a customer for LIFE.

Hey congrats! Sounds like you're getting the full breadth of service on this thing

Quick question: if I download a song I have bought on iTunes and edit the metadata, those changes are NOT synced across all my devices, right? Since my other devices are pulling those songs from the iTunes Store and not my iTunes Match?

breakfuss

Yeah they need to work on the UI. Confusing as hell. But I'm still liking how freaking well this integrates with iOS.

I'm not happy with how resource heavy this app is on iOS. It's making my devices really slow.

Really? I haven't noticed any slowdown. No crashes. Tidal used to freeze constantly for me.

Kinsella

Banned
Am I missing something in New? I searched for an artist earlier, but now I'm trying to go back to it to find curated playlists, but the back button in iTunes is greyed out and won't go back to the landing page that links to curated lists. I swear, this is the most moronic UI for a music service I've used yet. It's completely antithetical to what Steve stood for. Simplicity should be the goal. Not this messy nonsense.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah they need to work on the UI. Confusing as hell. But I'm still liking how freaking well this integrates with iOS.

Reallu? I've not noticed any slowdown. No crashes. Tidal used to freeze all the time for me.

It seems to happen after using the app for a bit. Makes multitasking, keyboard lag like a bitch. Have to close the app and open it up again to fix it. I think it may be a memory leak.

This thing definitely needs some updates to get all the bugs out. Too bad it's tied to os updates :/

Stat!

How do you find songs that you loved on Beats 1? Like I hit the heart but is there a way to see all songs Ive ever hearted?

And I guess Im a bit confused with the whole iTunes Match within Apple Music thing. Will my songs that I have get "matched" if I have apple music? If so, how?

billeh

So to clarify, the iPhone app only streams at 128kbps over cellular data right? We get the full 256kbps when using the phone over wireless?

If not, that will be me going back to Spotify, for sure.
I've heard murmurings that over LTE it's at 128kbps. Did an informal test in the car with the same song on Spotify (320kbps)/Apple Music and Spotify straight up blew it away. Same volume, same exact song, no EQ settings.

This compounded with the convoluted UI decisions on the mobile/desktop app really makes it hard for me to switch from Spotify. Syncing my entire music library is pretty cool, but 128kbps is straight up trash. At least give me the option to toggle, I have unlimited data so it's not like I'm worried about anything.

Quasar

I've heard murmurings that over LTE it's at 128kbps. Did an informal test in the car with the same song on Spotify (320kbps)/Apple Music and Spotify straight up blew it away. Same volume, same exact song, no EQ settings.

Wow. I never realised it would do that. I figured there would be a phone setting somewhere for bandwidth or something.

Majora

Am I missing something in New? I searched for an artist earlier, but now I'm trying to go back to it to find curated playlists, but the back button in iTunes is greyed out and won't go back to the landing page that links to curated lists. I swear, this is the most moronic UI for a music service I've used yet. It's completely antithetical to what Steve stood for. Simplicity should be the goal. Not this messy nonsense.

The ITunes interface is goddamn terrible. The only way someone could think it acceptable is if they've never used another streaming service on desktop. The iOS app is fine for me. Slightly convoluted in places, and too much jammed into the new tab, but essentially it's ok. But I spent the whole workday yesterday messing around with iTunes and just found it laborious and utterly tiresome. Everytime I opened Spotify on my desktop a wash of relief came over me.

The big deals for me with iTunes:

- no drag and drop to playlists
- no option to download for offline straight from the ellipses menu (iOS has this, iTunes doesn't for reasons)
- the back button doesn't work properly. Hitting back should take you back a page. In iTunes it seems completely arbitrary how far back it takes you. So if you're looking at a curator page, look at a playlist they've created, and then hit back, you won't go back to that curator page. Awful.

- the biggest sin for me - nothing links up properly. Spotify is so easy to use on desktop because if you see an artist name anywhere in the app you can click on it and be taken to the artist page. If you see an album title you can click on it and be taken straight to the album. iTunes doesn't work like that. Hardly anything is clickable and the options to 'go to artist/album' inexplicably often aren't in the ellipses menu. There are some cases when in My Music (I think in album view' where it is literally impossible to jump to an artist page from the album. You have to search for the artist name in the searchbar. There were also cases where clicking the ellipses in the now playing bar didn't bring up the option to go to album/artist. Inexcusable. This is the number one thing you need to nail in a streaming app. Easy discoverability and accessibility. Not making you type everything in a search bar all the time.
- you can set up a hearted smart playlist but the tracks have to be hearted and added to your library to appear. I spent the whole day hearting stuff only to find none of it in the smart playlist because I hadn't also added it to my library. Might be an iTunes hangover but it's a shit user experience. All those hearts are gone now (well, they're helping my recommendations, but still)

This isn't just a case of being used to Spotify. I just finished a trial of Tidal whose desktop app is fine. I've used Rdio, Google Play too. On desktop, they all utterly smash iTunes. I could live with the iOS but I can't live with that iTunes implementation while at work.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
The fuck? I logged into my account on my laptop's (Mac) iTunes, and it started downloading tracks from my desktop/iPhone, even though I specifically turned off iCloud Music Library on both of those. And when my laptop asked me if I wanted to turn on iCloud music library I denied.

Weird. I signed out and back in and the music was gone.

tanuki

There's about 200 songs that my Mac iTunes didn't upload to iCloud. Nor does it seem to be doing anything, even when I select update iCloud Music Library. Anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Managed to fix this by copying the songs to the desktop, deleting them from iTunes and adding them back again. Shouldn't have to do this though, but at least it works. Gotta say, Apple Music on iTunes is a total mess. iTunes needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

mitheor

There's about 200 songs that my Mac iTunes didn't upload to iCloud. Nor does it seem to be doing anything, even when I select update iCloud Music Library. Anyone else had this problem?

Same here. Like a 2% of my files are showing an "error uploading to iCloud".

jts

...hate me...
It's not adding any songs from Apple Music to my music (whether from Beats 1 or from search). Also shows a cloud with a lightning, no explanation on mouseover.

Apple Music songs on my library are greyed out and won't play. Restarting iTunes fixes this until I try to add songs :/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Updating my phone now so I can try this out. Hardly anyone notices but all the latest firmware updates get jailbroken so quickly recently.... I don't upgrade otherwise, so good news for me.

jts

...hate me...
Jesus this is frustrating to me. And how bad is it that it doesn't give any feedback to say that the song hasn't been added? I could be adding songs all morning only to check my music later and see that nothing has been added. Yikes.

DOWN

Banned
I can't get my Beats Music account to transfer.

Hands down the worst UI Apple has done in their post iOS era. The long text menu that pops up in the song options is tragic.

Although i've been enjoying it so far, Apple Music/Beats1 via itunes on my macbook refuses to work at all. iPhone was fine.. until I realised it didn't add any of the tunes to my music.

I guess i'll wait a few days for them to iron the kinks out then...

jts

...hate me...
Although i've been enjoying it so far, Apple Music/Beats1 via itunes on my macbook refuses to work at all. iPhone was fine.. until I realised it didn't add any of the tunes to my music.

I guess i'll wait a few days for them to iron the kinks out then...

In a way I'm surprised that they didn't call the service beta for the time being, but I guess you're taken more seriously if you don't. It does feel like an advanced public beta. But it's free for now, which gives a lot of breathing room for some bugs and whatnot and I'm sure that in less than 3 months time some of the smaller issues will have been taken care of. Still an impressive worldwide launch at any rate.

Silentium

The long text menu that pops up in the song options is tragic.
Agreed. First time I've thought the Apple trope 'Jobs wouldn't have approved of this' was correct, no way they would have shipped that under Jobs (aside from his other issues with Music streaming).

Otherwise generally happy with Apple Music, love Beats 1 and the curated playlists.

Ambitious

For me, the For You tab mainly displays
1) music I already have and
2) stuff I absolutely don't care about.

Of course, there's several artists/albums that seem worth checking out, but the majority of entries is either redundant or irrelevant to my preferences.

jts

...hate me...
B1sXpmu.png

Broken cloud of death. Figured it's always there when I can't add songs. Still have to figure out a consistent fix.

Top Bottom